Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target"

253 posts
TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target"

by TBM » 06 Sep 2013 11:59

Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target with the players we have now'

Discuss

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Sep 2013 12:00

I agree.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 06 Sep 2013 12:06

Very honest and I think he's genuinely as upset as everything else around the lack of signings. Would be interesting to know whether he feels he was mis-informed around the availability of funds when he signed, but we'll probably never know that one.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 06 Sep 2013 12:07

What else did he say?

It was a bit of a silly statement to make in the first place imo.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 06 Sep 2013 12:09

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 06 Sep 2013 12:12

Adkins on window deals

Speaking to the press this week, manager Nigel Adkins has reflected on the Royals' summer transfer moves, and is looking forward to striving for success.

He said, "I’ve got the same feelings as many supporters of Reading Football Club, likewise the people who own and manage the club.

"We believe we’ve got a strong squad of players, I wanted to bring more players in and there’s been an effort to do that. There were one or two players we thought we were going to bring in, but that didn’t materialise. Things were still going on until the last minute.

"You have to have realistic targets and there were players that I know I wanted to bring in and for me they were realistic targets. Bringing in six through the course of the window would have been about right. But we’ve kept some very good players – they have a responsibility, we have a responsibility, that everyone pulls together in the same direction because we share that common goal.

"Since the deadline I’ve had a couple of days now to go and reflect. Now I'm not glossing over anything, the facts are that we haven’t brought in more than three players that we did at the start of the window. Now we have got another 18 games until the next transfer window comes around. We’ve got to stay in the mix and our objective doesn’t change – I want to win this division, I want us to get promoted and get this football club, which is a great football club, back in the Premier League.

460adkins13-williams

"The cards we’ve got at the moment, we’ve got to play as best as we can – and that means making sure we’ve got a spirit amongst the players and that we get the best out of the players that we’ve got and we support them. That’s my responsibility as a manager, we’ve got to keep a steady ship about what we’re doing.

"I highlighted before that we want to score 100 goals, now at this moment in time I don’t think we haven’t got enough goals in the team to reach that target. So we’ve got to make sure that we address that situation with what we’ve got and see how we can achieve that, and likewise we want to keep 21 clean sheets. So defensively we’ve got to be stronger than we are at this moment in time.

"We share the supporters’ feelings because for me I want us to score goals. To do that we need another striker or two for the group. As it stands, that has not materialised. We can talk about loads of different ways, finances have got to be right at a football club - as a manager you want to be getting players in but you also have to understand sometimes that the books have to be balanced in the right manner at certain times. Anyone can be frustrated but that’s when it comes down to the board of directors to manage a football club in a certain way.

"I know that this football club has a strong, strong desire to be successful and to be successful this season. Everyone’s working in the same direction and everyone understands the position in which we want to strengthen – finances to make sure we’re able to do what we want to do. I suppose it’s one supporters always ask about – but I know that the club are doing what they believe is right."

460adkins13-face

The boss confirmed that a number of clubs made calls to us about buying our players over and above the departures of Kebe and Mariappa, but we rejected their advances.

He said, "We’ve got an excellent group of players, because of that other clubs showed interest in our players and there were a lot of conversations going on. Mapps going was right, but for others the club rightly decided it wasn’t right.

"We are a club that has come down from the Premier League, and with that finances dictate things as well. In terms of players coming in we wanted to do business before the window, permanent business. A lot of things go last minute and maybe players have gone to other clubs instead of coming here. As I said I’m not glossing over anything, let’s make that perfectly clear.

"The powers that be will do what they’ve got to do because they share that common goal as well, believe you me. You talk about the board of directors, you’ve got Sir John Madejski who built this football club up over the last 23 years. I know how ambitious he is to keep make sure it keeps going forward. I know when I first spoke to the owner during the interview process when I joined, he’s got massive ambition for the football club to get back to the Premier League, and that’s what my ambitions are."

460adkins13-bridge

Reflecting on our start to the season, Nigel said, "For me, we should have won five games out of five, so I’m disappointed that we haven’t gone and done that but what we’ve got to do is take one game at a time and make sure we stay in the race and go on to win it.

"Obviously it was pleasing that we got our first clean sheet of the season last weekend in what was a very poor game against Yeovil. But we got our clean sheet and got three points. We have an opportunity to reflect in the cold light of day now – my goals don’t change and my stats don’t change. I know what we want, I want to win this division. We have got some excellent players at this football club and again, players that would be desirable for other teams to get – we’ve kept."

Asked about the emergency loan window he said, "We want to make sure there’s a pathway there for the youngsters – you don’t just want to get a young player from somewhere else – so I’m very strong on that. We want any players that we bring in to be ahead of international standard, or tried and tested, does what it says on the tin, in the Championship because we’ve got to get ourselves up. We’re trying to build in every window instead of having a mass clear-out or a mass influx of players.

"Our objective is to get promoted and we’re not going to lose sight of that. We might have to address one or two things at the moment. Before a ball was kicked, the objective was to win the division. The first objective was to get through pre-season with everyone fit and available for selection and to get off to a good start. We won our first game which was a positive, and then I said we weren’t going to look at the league table, it was about making sure you stay in the race until January and that doesn’t change.

"Come January, the next window will open up and there will be another opportunity to get ourselves in a position to go and win the race. There are a lot more games in the last couple of months of the season – it’s March and April where the fixtures are really busy. Listen I ain’t hiding away from the fact that I wanted to bring more players in, we haven’t done it and that’s the fact, but we're united. As Lincoln said, 'A house that is divided amongst itself cannot stand.'"

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... O7Sa3TQ.99

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 06 Sep 2013 12:14

TBM Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target with the players we have now'

Discuss

I think he's a total moron for even saying it in the first place. You don't need to score anywhere near 100 goals to get promoted - it's rare that a title-winning team will even get 90.

We won the league with 69. Birmingham have been promoted with 54. I'd say 80 goals would be a tough yet realistic target that also gives you a great chance of getting auto.

Why you'd walk into a new job and start banging on about scoring 100 goals is beyond me.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Sep 2013 12:16

TBM Discuss

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 06 Sep 2013 12:20

won't be far down the road before the honeymoon period between Adkins and Squeaky hits the buffers...question is who will blink first and be packing their bags...?....Manager / DoF working relationships are rarely a success....something will give ...

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 06 Sep 2013 12:22

DOYLERSAROYALER won't be far down the road before the honeymoon period between Adkins and Squeaky hits the buffers...question is who will blink first and be packing their bags...?....Manager / DoF working relationships are rarely a success....something will give ...

Not really, the issue is the amount of money the club is willing to pay and that's set by Anton not Nicky.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Sep 2013 12:22

I don’t think we haven’t got enough goals in the team to reach that target

Wait. So he does think we can do it?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 06 Sep 2013 12:24

Nonsense.Adkins states the obvious when saying the club has to operate within its means. Being disappointed it wasn't enough is not the same as h8ing the man who set the budget. And that's not Hammond anyway

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 06 Sep 2013 12:28

He sounds pretty determined to blitzkrieg the January transfer window...

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 06 Sep 2013 12:31

Thought he came over fairly well. Maybe a tad too honest.

In a nutshell, the Russians haven't got any money. Never did, never will.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 06 Sep 2013 12:34

Confrontations a plenty to come by the sounds of it, it appears that Adkins is not prepared to be the usual lackey that the club bullies around.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 06 Sep 2013 12:45

I agreee with Maguire on the point that he shouldn't have said that we will score 100 goals this season, that's a very bold statement that has back fired.

Although I do like what he has to say in his statement today, also his honesty and where we stand at this present time. From a very frustrating time for the fans after the transfer window, I hope this will give fans some peace of mind.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 06 Sep 2013 12:50

If Atkins can't deliver 100 goals, We need to act now to get someone in, who can.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 06 Sep 2013 12:52

St. Brynjar
Adkins on window deals

Speaking to the press this week, manager Nigel Adkins has reflected on the Royals' summer transfer moves, and is looking forward to striving for success.

He said, "I’ve got the same feelings as many supporters of Reading Football Club, likewise the people who own and manage the club.

"We believe we’ve got a strong squad of players, I wanted to bring more players in and there’s been an effort to do that. There were one or two players we thought we were going to bring in, but that didn’t materialise. Things were still going on until the last minute.

"You have to have realistic targets and there were players that I know I wanted to bring in and for me they were realistic targets. Bringing in six through the course of the window would have been about right. But we’ve kept some very good players – they have a responsibility, we have a responsibility, that everyone pulls together in the same direction because we share that common goal.

"Since the deadline I’ve had a couple of days now to go and reflect. Now I'm not glossing over anything, the facts are that we haven’t brought in more than three players that we did at the start of the window. Now we have got another 18 games until the next transfer window comes around. We’ve got to stay in the mix and our objective doesn’t change – I want to win this division, I want us to get promoted and get this football club, which is a great football club, back in the Premier League.

460adkins13-williams

"The cards we’ve got at the moment, we’ve got to play as best as we can – and that means making sure we’ve got a spirit amongst the players and that we get the best out of the players that we’ve got and we support them. That’s my responsibility as a manager, we’ve got to keep a steady ship about what we’re doing.

"I highlighted before that we want to score 100 goals, now at this moment in time I don’t think we haven’t got enough goals in the team to reach that target. So we’ve got to make sure that we address that situation with what we’ve got and see how we can achieve that, and likewise we want to keep 21 clean sheets. So defensively we’ve got to be stronger than we are at this moment in time.

"We share the supporters’ feelings because for me I want us to score goals. To do that we need another striker or two for the group. As it stands, that has not materialised. We can talk about loads of different ways, finances have got to be right at a football club - as a manager you want to be getting players in but you also have to understand sometimes that the books have to be balanced in the right manner at certain times. [b]Anyone can be frustrated but that’s when it comes down to the board of directors to manage a football club in a certain way. [/b]
"I know that this football club has a strong, strong desire to be successful and to be successful this season. Everyone’s working in the same direction and everyone understands the position in which we want to strengthen – finances to make sure we’re able to do what we want to do. I suppose it’s one supporters always ask about – but I know that the club are doing what they believe is right."
460adkins13-face

The boss confirmed that a number of clubs made calls to us about buying our players over and above the departures of Kebe and Mariappa, but we rejected their advances.

He said, "We’ve got an excellent group of players, because of that other clubs showed interest in our players and there were a lot of conversations going on. Mapps going was right, but for others the club rightly decided it wasn’t right.

"We are a club that has come down from the Premier League, and with that finances dictate things as well. In terms of players coming in we wanted to do business before the window, permanent business. A lot of things go last minute and maybe players have gone to other clubs instead of coming here. As I said I’m not glossing over anything, let’s make that perfectly clear.

"The powers that be will do what they’ve got to do because they share that common goal as well, believe you me. You talk about the board of directors, you’ve got Sir John Madejski who built this football club up over the last 23 years. I know how ambitious he is to keep make sure it keeps going forward. I know when I first spoke to the owner during the interview process when I joined, he’s got massive ambition for the football club to get back to the Premier League, and that’s what my ambitions are."

460adkins13-bridge

Reflecting on our start to the season, Nigel said, "For me, we should have won five games out of five, so I’m disappointed that we haven’t gone and done that but what we’ve got to do is take one game at a time and make sure we stay in the race and go on to win it.

"Obviously it was pleasing that we got our first clean sheet of the season last weekend in what was a very poor game against Yeovil. But we got our clean sheet and got three points. We have an opportunity to reflect in the cold light of day now – my goals don’t change and my stats don’t change. I know what we want, I want to win this division. We have got some excellent players at this football club and again, players that would be desirable for other teams to get – we’ve kept."

Asked about the emergency loan window he said, "We want to make sure there’s a pathway there for the youngsters – you don’t just want to get a young player from somewhere else – so I’m very strong on that. We want any players that we bring in to be ahead of international standard, or tried and tested, does what it says on the tin, in the Championship because we’ve got to get ourselves up. We’re trying to build in every window instead of having a mass clear-out or a mass influx of players.

"Our objective is to get promoted and we’re not going to lose sight of that. We might have to address one or two things at the moment. Before a ball was kicked, the objective was to win the division. The first objective was to get through pre-season with everyone fit and available for selection and to get off to a good start. We won our first game which was a positive, and then I said we weren’t going to look at the league table, it was about making sure you stay in the race until January and that doesn’t change.

"Come January, the next window will open up and there will be another opportunity to get ourselves in a position to go and win the race. There are a lot more games in the last couple of months of the season – it’s March and April where the fixtures are really busy. Listen I ain’t hiding away from the fact that I wanted to bring more players in, we haven’t done it and that’s the fact, but we're united. As Lincoln said, 'A house that is divided amongst itself cannot stand.'"

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... O7Sa3TQ.99

I think try as he might, he just isnt into this role as he was his previous two. Dont forget he turned us down to begin with and then changed his mind. and in his interviews I always get the sense that he is saying what he thinks he should be saying about reading fc rather than how he feels - he even came across like that at his first interview. The bits I have put in bold suggest that whatever he says about being united, they arent and thats now becoming clear. He isnt the kind of guy to walk away so soon but I bet he has considered it... I'll be surprised if Adkins and Reading remain together by the end of the season.... I hope I'm wrong as I really rate Adkins.....

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Sep 2013 12:52

Ouroboros If Atkins can't deliver 100 goals, We need to act now to get someone in, who can.

Nearly choked on my delicious pea and ham soup.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 06 Sep 2013 12:52

I think what he was saying was that he wanted us to dominate this league - score 100 goals, means we will really do well in this league. And also, the fans will enjoy watching us play and not just grinding out results ... I think now he recognises that without the kind of players up front he wanted, that won't be as easy as he hoped. So currently his aim is to stay in top-6 still January and try again to get in a top man to score the goals we need to be top 2.

253 posts