Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target"

253 posts
southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

Re: Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target

by southbank1871 » 06 Sep 2013 12:54

Gr8 vote of confidence for our existing strike force.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 Sep 2013 12:59

The owner's already said he wants to run the club sensibly as a business - we've shelled out on Cat 1 academy status plus are buying a new training ground so while we're not spending stupid money on players, the 'Russians have no money' argument is garbage. Clearly Adkins and Hammond have thought long and hard about those interviews and seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet. If we can't bring in players who aren't better than what we have then there's no point for the sake of it and I'd rather use the loan window and then bring in one or two permanent strikers in January. We still have Pogrebnyak who might get his head straight now he's staying here for another 4 months at least and Le Fondre with Robson-Kanu as another option.

We need to get behind the team and the manager and if we don't sign anyone in January then questions should THEN be asked of Hammond and maybe Anton, but not before. If at the end of last season someone had told everyone we'd sign Wayne Bridge, Danny Williams who's better than any of our other centre mids, plus Royston Drenthe, I think most people would have been over the moon. If you look back at last time we went down and the players we had to sell back then, we're in a much stronger position than we were in 2008/9 - I really don't get the negativity on here when we've deserved to win pretty much every game and have 8 points from 5. Yes, the club probably talked itself up too much, but I'd rather we were talking big and trying to be ambitious rather than the negativity in years gone by - if you set your targets high, you tend to achieve far more than trying to consolidate.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Sep 2013 13:00

southbank1871 Gr8 vote of confidence for our existing strike force.

Reverse pychology. They'll do it by Christmas as a Fcuk You to Nige.

jellytot

by jellytot » 06 Sep 2013 13:10

The main points for discussion should be - Do we have enough quality
in the squad to challenge the top 6? Will we be in through top 6 come January so we can be strong in that transfer window? Based on our current squad i would say yes JUST, but we do need a couple of loan signings. If we lost a cb or say Guthrie, ALF to injury I think we will struggle to be top 6.
Gorkks is our covering cb.. WORRIED. Will the pog find some form because I am sorry Blackman is not good enough.

Got.to be in contention come January or the next window will be shit too.

Adkins must be deeply disappointed with the clubs show in the summer window.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 06 Sep 2013 13:11

Royalee The owner's already said he wants to run the club sensibly as a business - we've shelled out on Cat 1 academy status plus are buying a new training ground so while we're not spending stupid money on players, the 'Russians have no money' argument is garbage. Clearly Adkins and Hammond have thought long and hard about those interviews and seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet. If we can't bring in players who aren't better than what we have then there's no point for the sake of it and I'd rather use the loan window and then bring in one or two permanent strikers in January. We still have Pogrebnyak who might get his head straight now he's staying here for another 4 months at least and Le Fondre with Robson-Kanu as another option.

We need to get behind the team and the manager and if we don't sign anyone in January then questions should THEN be asked of Hammond and maybe Anton, but not before. If at the end of last season someone had told everyone we'd sign Wayne Bridge, Danny Williams who's better than any of our other centre mids, plus Royston Drenthe, I think most people would have been over the moon. If you look back at last time we went down and the players we had to sell back then, we're in a much stronger position than we were in 2008/9 - I really don't get the negativity on here when we've deserved to win pretty much every game and have 8 points from 5. Yes, the club probably talked itself up too much, but I'd rather we were talking big and trying to be ambitious rather than the negativity in years gone by - if you set your targets high, you tend to achieve far more than trying to consolidate.

+1 - post of the day.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 06 Sep 2013 13:11

"There is always the next window".

I went to complete a large yawn but it came out as a kind of scream.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Sep 2013 13:12

Royalwaster
Royalee The owner's already said he wants to run the club sensibly as a business - we've shelled out on Cat 1 academy status plus are buying a new training ground so while we're not spending stupid money on players, the 'Russians have no money' argument is garbage. Clearly Adkins and Hammond have thought long and hard about those interviews and seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet. If we can't bring in players who aren't better than what we have then there's no point for the sake of it and I'd rather use the loan window and then bring in one or two permanent strikers in January. We still have Pogrebnyak who might get his head straight now he's staying here for another 4 months at least and Le Fondre with Robson-Kanu as another option.

+1 - post of the day.

= ?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 06 Sep 2013 13:13

Extended-Phenotype "There is always the next window".

I went to complete a large yawn but it came out as a kind of scream.

This.

I think that's the 6th transfer window in a row I've seen that written.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 06 Sep 2013 13:14

I think try as he might, he just isn't into this role as he was his previous two

Why on earth not? when you have constant bickering if BM should still be in charge (Brian:right decision?), taking the p1ss out of your scouse accent or tango tan? Half the team unable to dribble or pass a ball - but that's the manager's fault for expecting them to have these basic skills :shock:
What's not to like about Reading?

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 06 Sep 2013 13:21

Agree with most of this. But Hammond and Adkins are not really singing from same song sheet. Hammond feels we need to get real as we have just got relegated in relation to expenditure. Adkins clearly feels we should have got some more players in 'for me realistic targets' is the key quote. They have come to an uneasy truce about the issue but I wouldnt say they are singing from same song sheet - I think what is remarkable is the both of them have been able to go public with different views...

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Sep 2013 13:24

This clearly shows he was mikhailoved.

RFC: take ths job
Nige: no
RFC: We will give you BIG money to spend, just like you did at Southampton, to make sure we go up.
Nige: no, you're Reading
RFC: no seriously this time it's different. Forget EVERY manager in the past complaining about lack of adequate funds, this is new. New chairman, new RFC, you WILL get masses of money and every player will stay
Nige: really?
RFC: yes absolutely, please change your mind. We WILL support you financially to get the players you want. We want to bounce straight back up.
Nige: you're not going to say all this then when I join, impose loads of strict transfer and wage structures on me are you?
RFC: what a silly thing to say? Of course not!
Nige: but how are we going to attract players to Reading?
RFC: easy, we've come down from the PL, we're going to keep hold of all our players, and we will Just have to pay slightly above the odds to get the right people in. Don't worry WE WILL BACK YOU! Trust us, Nige, just trust us.
Nige: this isn't another mikhailov job is it?
RFC: who? Us? No.
Nige: wow ok.. Well I reckon we need 7-8 players and not lose anyone unless I think they're shit.
RFC: no probs WE WILL BACK YOU!!!
Nige: well great, I can see us getting around 100 goals and going straight back up, I'll join!

Fast toward September 2013...
.... Net reduction of squad
...net negative transfer spend
Arguably Worse squad than before
... "Finances" this "finances" that....

Nige borrows mikahilovs wig and declares: "um... I was lied to. I don't think we can do it now I know I've been duped. Thee has been no sea change here afterall. What an idiot I am.". :cry:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 06 Sep 2013 13:25

I have to say I have had my doubts about NA but he has gone up hugely in my estimation for that honest appraisal. He now has my complete backing from now on.

The truth is the club have messed up the transfer window and we are 3 players short - but now we all have to get on with it. I like what he has said about loans - no point bringing in youngsters as we have our own so it is top players or no one as far as I am concerned.

He has also put a lot of pressure on the owner to back him in the next window. Yes he might get sacked but being a loyal mouthpiece of the club only had the same result for Brian and so my guess is he thinks "what have I got to lose as if we are not in contention I will most likely be sacked anyway".

And I have no problem him talking about 100 goals and winning the division. If you don't at least aim high you will never get anywhere.

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 06 Sep 2013 13:28

Ouroboros If Atkins can't deliver 100 goals, We need to act now to get someone in, who can.

Raises an interesting question. Who could get 100 goals in our division this year?

Gareth Bale?
Christiano Ronaldo?
Lionel Messi?

Perhaps Rogers will loan us Suarez?

These are clearly the players we should be trying to sign because failing to sign Jerome or Sissoko puts you in exactly the same place as failing to sign Suarez, so why not aim high.... :wink:

philM

by philM » 06 Sep 2013 13:29

Hammond has said today that "the main frustration for us was that we were unable to acquire one or two targets who interested us earlier in the summer. Unfortunately, finances being what they were, we were not in a position to see those through".

So he's laying the blame back with AZ.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 06 Sep 2013 13:29

I'm more concerned he will walk. He is a good good manager :cry:

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 06 Sep 2013 13:30

philM Hammond has said today that "the main frustration for us was that we were unable to acquire one or two targets who interested us earlier in the summer. Unfortunately, finances being what they were, we were not in a position to see those through".

So he's laying the blame back with AZ.

I'm concerned at the moment with AZ to be fair. He keeps his cards close to his chest but said we'd sign 7.

The three we have got are very good though

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 06 Sep 2013 13:37

Dont think i can hack the emotion of another transfer window. The current squad should still get us in the Top 6. If Guthrie got injured we would badly struggle to play Adkins style of football.

Now Mapps has gone, would have been nice to get a centre half who was more comfortable on the ball. Also quite ovbiously a foward that can hold it up and score goals. Fingers crossed we can get POG playing to his potential.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Sep 2013 13:37

Aww poor old clubby wubby had NO idea they were going for cat1 status and a new training ground when they gave impression of 7-8 new players in to bounce straight up..

poor old clubby wubby got a COMPLETE surprise when evil ghost man suddenly and unexpectedly made them spend cash on cat1 and training ground

Poor old clubby wubby had no idea it'd be hard to attract better players to a champ side...

They made all these promises but got hit with reality... Aww poor old clubby wubby

There there lil clubby wubby don't listen to these evil fans who bring up earlier promises. You weren't to know theses things back then...

:roll:

Overall though yes let's wait till 31st January of course but no one can deny that being in this position now with a seriously under-staffed squad for much of the season is a f**k up.

Hence the club admitting they're disappointed. God knows what they're disappointed about though- reality hitting them in the face? Pathetic.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 06 Sep 2013 13:44

Good post.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 06 Sep 2013 13:54

TBM Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target with the players we have now'

Discuss

Fair enough, we didn't reach 100 goals when we lost two games all season and won the league with a record breaking 106 points and that was with Kitson, Doyle and Lita at arguably their peak and Long on the bench.

253 posts