Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target"

253 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target

by melonhead » 09 Sep 2013 10:31

Sanguine
Cypry "Anton promised us more signings." You're taking the word of a man, for whom his first language is not English, quite literally. As someone else said, you're either stupid, or have an axe to grind. If you've ever bothered to listen to Anton, whilst his English is a million times better than my Russian, it's quite clear that he doesn't fully understand all of the semantics of the English language, so to take what he says literally is simply asking for trouble. Personally, I admire how open he's been so far, but I fear that this open approach will disappear pretty quickly if all he gets is abuse....

Seven is seven, whichever way you look at it.

actuallym, if you take a european 7, and lay it on its side, and look at it from an oblique angle, it looks like a backwards 4

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 09 Sep 2013 11:17

melonhead agreed. that^^^
all involved view it as a failure to achieve our aim.
but it is what it is, transfers are hard.
the window is silly.
what can ya do?

In my opinion, you can be more careful with your statements of intent.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the transfer window is hard. So either they believed they could sign seven despite this or their language made them sound more confident than they were, (see my previous post).

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Sep 2013 11:41

Extended-Phenotype
the window is silly.
what can ya do?

It shouldn't be a surprise that the transfer window is hard. So either they believed they could sign seven despite this or their language made them sound more confident than they were, (see my previous post).

personally i think you just need to be more careful about your huge misinterpretation of statements of intent.

in terms of mission statements, and aims, its perfectly acceptable to say you aim and want to do things and not achieve them

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 09 Sep 2013 12:37

melonhead
Extended-Phenotype
the window is silly.
what can ya do?

personally i think you just need to be more careful about your huge misinterpretation of statements of intent.

in terms of mission statements, and aims, its perfectly acceptable to say you aim and want to do things and not achieve them

It’s not a misinterpretation though, mate. I understand they said they will TRY and do something. I will TRY and meet my deadline for Friday afternoon. If there were any foreseeable problems which may hinder my aim, I’d say so or at least make my statement of intent more realistic.

My boss isn’t going to be happy if I miss the deadline – he’s going to be cross that I didn’t meet my target and cross that I wasn’t realistic when making my assertion. He's going to want to know why I made out I would do better than I did, or if the snags I hit were blindingly obvious, why I couldn't have foreseen them. Like I said, none of the players we tried to sign exploded as far as I can remember - surely we knew it was a hard order?

Yet the noises from the club were overwhelmingly confident about signing 7 players. I’m just saying that for the fans, they could have been a bit more realistic if this was indeed the implausible target it turned out to be. Yet as I said - for the business, I understand why they had to be misleading – we needed the fans back on board for the new season, we needed give our good players confidence in our ambition, and we needed to sound strong to attract new players.

Sexing up our ambition for business reasons is far more plausible than what you are saying – at least, I hope what you are saying is not true – that they club did not realise how difficult the window would be. For gawds sake, how can it possibly come as a surprise, year after year?!?

Clever business language VS the club being run by morons? It's more likely to be the former.

Magic Hat

by Magic Hat » 09 Sep 2013 12:55

howser I don't really understand the critisism of Adkins his record in management speaks for itself in all honesty, but to achieve his goals he will need the support of the clubs management, on this occasion that would seem to be missing, although, in reality, that should not be surprising.

He sounds like he feels he has been let down in this window, his boast of three new players must have been supported, at least initially by Anton and Hammond. We heard the same old same old about "we were not in a position to add anyone" why not is the answer most want to hear.

It can't be anything to do with money, after all last January we were ready to splash £10m on Sigs, since then we have only spent £700,000 on Williams and recieved our Premiership finishing money and the parachute payments plus TV money. So where is the block on transfers now ?? One can only assume that the Cat 1 Academy money was already budgeted for and it surly wasn't Sigs or Cat 1, was it ??

We can't score and leek goals, is this what we were promised ? 7 signings in the close season was never going to happen I guess, but at least it sold a few season tickets. I can understand Adkins frustration, I just wonder what he was expecting with Reading's record in the transfer market over the past three or four years.

The three teams that got promoted have all made substantial investment in an attempt to stay in the top league, something that we would never do, is this the case that we are going to have to accept that if we want to become involved in the european competitions that Anton wishes then we are going to have to change the way we operate, or of course we could be waiting for the FA Cup third round to pillage some players from our lower league opposition.

I think that's a little insensitive towards Gunter.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 09 Sep 2013 13:58

melonhead
P!ssed Off
Royal Rother
"We are looking at bringing in 2 or 3 more players this transfer window."

HNA - Gets collective hard-on.

And then we don't.

HNA - "No ambition - blah blah blah. Anton hasn't got any money, and Hammond is useless."

Inaccurate.
I believe we were looking to bring in 7 players during the transfer window.
This was scaled down to 3 for the last weekend of the window.

And what about this from Zingarevich (after the 3 initial signings):
"It is not the end in terms of signings," Zingarevich told BBC Radio Berkshire. "We have six weeks to go and we need to do a little bit more business."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23377556

"It is not the end in terms of signings" = a firm categorical statement that there will be more signings not an aim or an objective that the club is looking to make more signings.
Ian Royal -I'd like to hear your thoughts about how this was also not a failed promise form the club.

scaled down to 3, cos we'd already got three you massive clown :|

I know why it was scaled down to three. I'm not a clown thanks.
My point was that it was never a case of 2 or 3 for the whole transfer window.
It was 2 or 3 for the last weekend of the transfer window.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 09 Sep 2013 14:11

melonhead
Gav Megagree with this ^^

If I said to a superior I would do something without a caveat, woe betide me if I didn't hit the timelines promised

he didnt promise anything though. just said we want to, we aim to, we plan on etc

tbh I'm not particularly interested in Zingarevich saying he aims to bring in 7 over the window or Adkins saying he wanted to bring in 3 over the last weekend of the window.

I found a quote from Zingarevich taken from the radio which said:
"It is not the end in terms of signings," Zingarevich told BBC Radio Berkshire. "We have six weeks to go and we need to do a little bit more business."

tbh I'm not even that fussed. But this sentence "It is not the end in terms of signings" is a categorical statement that I presumed would shut up all the people saying "they never said this, they never said that", "they said they aim to, they said they want to".

Even after I've found a quote of Anton saying what "he never said" you lot still won't admit defeat. "Oh, his English isn't very good". oxf*rd Off!
It doesn't matter whether he accidentally made the comment or not. The comment was made. The comment is categorical (we will), not conditional (we want to / we aim to).

I'm not interested in the whole 'were we lied to?' debate. I don't care.
But the debate of 'did the club make a categorical statement that we would definitely make another signing?' is now well and truly over. They did and this is the proof:

Now admit defeat so we can all move on ffs.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 09 Sep 2013 15:18

I don't think it matters whether they said "I swear on my mothers life". The point is they promoted a confident buying agenda. They failed to match their intent due to hitting overwhelmingly obvious hurdles. Either they exaggerated their target or they didn't realise they might not sign seven players because they could be asked for more money than they are willing to part with or the players might choose a different club.

In which case they are idiots.

Cypry

by Cypry » 09 Sep 2013 15:18

P!ssed Off
melonhead
Gav Megagree with this ^^

If I said to a superior I would do something without a caveat, woe betide me if I didn't hit the timelines promised

he didnt promise anything though. just said we want to, we aim to, we plan on etc

tbh I'm not particularly interested in Zingarevich saying he aims to bring in 7 over the window or Adkins saying he wanted to bring in 3 over the last weekend of the window.

I found a quote from Zingarevich taken from the radio which said:

tbh I'm not even that fussed. But this sentence "It is not the end in terms of signings" is a categorical statement that I presumed would shut up all the people saying "they never said this, they never said that", "they said they aim to, they said they want to".

Even after I've found a quote of Anton saying what "he never said" you lot still won't admit defeat. "Oh, his English isn't very good". oxf*rd Off!
It doesn't matter whether he accidentally made the comment or not. The comment was made. The comment is categorical (we will), not conditional (we want to / we aim to).

I'm not interested in the whole 'were we lied to?' debate. I don't care.
But the debate of 'did the club make a categorical statement that we would definitely make another signing?' is now well and truly over. They did and this is the proof:

Now admit defeat so we can all move on ffs.

But you're not that fussed about it obviously.....

Regardless of the semantics of whether it's categorical or conditional, we're talking about a man who, whilst he was schooled in the UK for part of his education, still has Russian as his first language. You simply cannot take everything he says literally - you have to read into it the intent of the message he's trying to get across. It's a ridiculous exercise in points scoring, you obviously have some kind of axe to grind with the club, or the new administration, otherwise you simply wouldn't bother...

We obviously had the INTENT to sign more players, and failed. That, however, is all that what he said shows.

My beef is with those who quote Anton verbatim and then try to use it to demonstrate that we've been lied to, or claim the club never had any intention of signing anyone, or maintain we'd only pay peanuts, so had no chance in the first place. It's a ridiculous exercise in beating up the club for the sake of it - I sometimes wonder how some people can describe themselves as "supporters" when all they want to do is find their next reason to slate the club....

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 09 Sep 2013 15:31

Cypry It's a ridiculous exercise in points scoring, you obviously have some kind of axe to grind with the club, or the new administration, otherwise you simply wouldn't bother...

We obviously had the INTENT to sign more players, and failed. That, however, is all that what he said shows.

My beef is with those who quote Anton verbatim and then try to use it to demonstrate that we've been lied to, or claim the club never had any intention of signing anyone, or maintain we'd only pay peanuts, so had no chance in the first place. It's a ridiculous exercise in beating up the club for the sake of it - I sometimes wonder how some people can describe themselves as "supporters" when all they want to do is find their next reason to slate the club....

I don't have an axe to grind with the club, this quote is merely to shut up the 'they never said this, they never said that' crowd.
Even after I've provided a quote from Anton, you still won't admit that he said it.

People like you have been shouting down people over the last week or so; accusing them of being thick and deluded because they believed the club had pretty much guaranteed another signing.

On the basis of this quote, "It is not the end in terms of signings," Zingarevich told BBC Radio Berkshire. "We have six weeks to go and we need to do a little bit more business", it is entirely reasonable that many people believed the club had pretty much guaranteed another signing.

Now accept that, so we can move on, rather than persisting with this 'they never said this, they never said that' charade.
I'm not slating the club, I'm slating you.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 09 Sep 2013 15:41

Good post

Cypry

by Cypry » 09 Sep 2013 16:15

P!ssed Off
Cypry It's a ridiculous exercise in points scoring, you obviously have some kind of axe to grind with the club, or the new administration, otherwise you simply wouldn't bother...

I don't have an axe to grind with the club, this quote is merely to shut up the 'they never said this, they never said that' crowd.
Even after I've provided a quote from Anton, you still won't admit that he said it.

People like you have been shouting down people over the last week or so; accusing them of being thick and deluded because they believed the club had pretty much guaranteed another signing.

On the basis of this quote, "It is not the end in terms of signings," Zingarevich told BBC Radio Berkshire. "We have six weeks to go and we need to do a little bit more business", it is entirely reasonable that many people believed the club had pretty much guaranteed another signing.

Now accept that, so we can move on, rather than persisting with this 'they never said this, they never said that' charade.
I'm not slating the club, I'm slating you.

If you're so good at finding quotes, find me one where I've denied that Anton said anything..... good luck with that one because I haven't.

What I have said is that people have taken what he said far too literally for someone who doesn't speak English as their first language...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Sep 2013 16:19

I'd be really surprised if his English is that bad. It's not as if it's a complicated sentence.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 09 Sep 2013 16:28

That's the excuse now? His English?

:lol:

Talk about desperate. I suppose English is Adkins second language too?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 09 Sep 2013 16:30

sandman I'd be really surprised if his English is that bad. It's not as if it's a complicated sentence.

Indeed:
At the age of 16, Zingarevich began education at Bearwood College, near Wokingham, England, studying there for two years. Whilst studying at Bearwood, Zingarevich would watch Reading F.C. play at Elm Park. Zingarevich studied business at Cass Business School of City University London, and Regents Business School.

The suggestion that he can't construct simple sentences in English is ludicrous.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Sep 2013 16:33

Extended-Phenotype That's the excuse now? His English?

:lol:

Talk about desperate. I suppose English is Adkins second language too?

Third after Scouse and Bullshit.
Last edited by sandman on 09 Sep 2013 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 09 Sep 2013 16:36

So in all this broken English and misinterpretation, what exactly did they mean to say?

I mean, was it to do with football at all? Or was Anton trying to give us gardening advice?

For the record, it's odd as f/ck when the defence starts to sound crazier than the conspiracy.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 09 Sep 2013 16:41

Extended-Phenotype So in all this broken English and misinterpretation, what exactly did they mean to say?

I mean, was it to do with football at all? Or was Anton trying to give us gardening advice?

For the record, it's odd as f/ck when the defence starts to sound crazier than the conspiracy.

Maybe he was simply alerting the local youth that autograph signing would resume after lunch time, when Dellor or some other schmuck from BBCRB pounced on him and aired his words out of context.
:wink:

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 09 Sep 2013 16:42

http://www.skybet.com/football/sky-bet-championship/event/15399268

Championship Top Goalscorer 13/14

Alf 12/1 - poor value
Pog 50/1 - :lol:
Blackman 100/1 - at least he plays
HRK 150/1 - been off the pace
Royston 200/1 - yet to show scoring touch

Championship Winner 13/14

Reading 9/1 :shock: :shock: :shock:

We've shortened since pre-season where we were 11's then 10's!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Sep 2013 16:57

Extended-Phenotype
melonhead
Extended-Phenotype

It’s not a misinterpretation though, mate. I understand they said they will TRY and do something. I will TRY and meet my deadline for Friday afternoon. If there were any foreseeable problems which may hinder my aim, I’d say so or at least make my statement of intent more realistic.

My boss isn’t going to be happy if I miss the deadline – he’s going to be cross that I didn’t meet my target and cross that I wasn’t realistic when making my assertion. He's going to want to know why I made out I would do better than I did, or if the snags I hit were blindingly obvious, why I couldn't have foreseen them. Like I said, none of the players we tried to sign exploded as far as I can remember - surely we knew it was a hard order?

Yet the noises from the club were overwhelmingly confident about signing 7 players. I’m just saying that for the fans, they could have been a bit more realistic if this was indeed the implausible target it turned out to be. Yet as I said - for the business, I understand why they had to be misleading – we needed the fans back on board for the new season, we needed give our good players confidence in our ambition, and we needed to sound strong to attract new players.

Sexing up our ambition for business reasons is far more plausible than what you are saying – at least, I hope what you are saying is not true – that they club did not realise how difficult the window would be. For gawds sake, how can it possibly come as a surprise, year after year?!?

Clever business language VS the club being run by morons? It's more likely to be the former.

now i know you arent a total idiot, so ill give you some benefit of my large doubts about this post.

its pretty clear that in your scenario, the vast majority of things that could influence whether you achieve your aim or not are completely within your control. in that scenario you are correct, and your boss would be within rights to be miffed if you missed it.
because you aren't competing with other people to meet that deadline. its not a race.
because signing a player is nothing like meeting a deadline.
because a deadline isnt interested in how much it gets paid, or the relative level of the company compared to its competitors.

stuff like that.

be miffe and frustrated all you like, but calling for hammond/NA/AZ to go is oxf*rd moronic

253 posts