Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target"

253 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target

by Ian Royal » 10 Sep 2013 19:14

Extended-Phenotype We are edging towards agreeing with each other. That’s why I like bustin’ with ya Brendo – there is actually a conclusion.

I too imagine the club believed they could bring in 7 players but were slow in coming forward about the pitfalls, statements always erring towards a guarantee rather than it being a possibility. They have certainly been quite political with the wording.

This in my mind is good business but is also misleading. Because it is misleading I can understand why fans are feeling put out and think the club are ripe for a gripe. However, I don’t agree that this means anybody should be sacked, which is an overreaction.

The club showed confidence in signing 7 players when they knew deep down it would be a hard target to meet. I don’t feel they targeted enough players or were realistic with their valuations. No lessons learned, still giving it the big bollox without matching it with action and another transfer window set with high expectation and low return.

For that they are more than open to rational criticism.

I don't think we really have enough information to talk about our number of targets or our valuations. From what we do know I think the fairest criticism you can make is that the club were looking too high with their targets given most we have much of an idea about have gone to clubs at a higher level. That's the same fault from January in my view (only with players not wanting to come only to get relegated, or deals falling through ala Gylfi), but a totally different one to every other window where you could argue things could have gone better.

And the thing is, I don't think anyone at the club has been shy about agreeing the window has been a disappointment and that we've failed in achieving what we wanted.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather the club was more ambitious and missed a higher proportion of signings, occasionally making us rely on the youth. Than we sign more over-priced mediocre toss like (certainly at the time) Blackman, Sodje, Bennet, Sheppard, Mooney etc. There's an argument that even the likes of Gunter, Mariappa and Pog fall a little too close to that category.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 10 Sep 2013 22:06

Ian Royal
Extended-Phenotype We are edging towards agreeing with each other. That’s why I like bustin’ with ya Brendo – there is actually a conclusion.

I too imagine the club believed they could bring in 7 players but were slow in coming forward about the pitfalls, statements always erring towards a guarantee rather than it being a possibility. They have certainly been quite political with the wording.

This in my mind is good business but is also misleading. Because it is misleading I can understand why fans are feeling put out and think the club are ripe for a gripe. However, I don’t agree that this means anybody should be sacked, which is an overreaction.

The club showed confidence in signing 7 players when they knew deep down it would be a hard target to meet. I don’t feel they targeted enough players or were realistic with their valuations. No lessons learned, still giving it the big bollox without matching it with action and another transfer window set with high expectation and low return.

I don't think we really have enough information to talk about our number of targets or our valuations. From what we do know I think the fairest criticism you can make is that the club were looking too high with their targets given most we have much of an idea about have gone to clubs at a higher level. That's the same fault from January in my view (only with players not wanting to come only to get relegated, or deals falling through ala Gylfi), but a totally different one to every other window where you could argue things could have gone better.

And the thing is, I don't think anyone at the club has been shy about agreeing the window has been a disappointment and that we've failed in achieving what we wanted.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather the club was more ambitious and missed a higher proportion of signings, occasionally making us rely on the youth. Than we sign more over-priced mediocre toss like (certainly at the time) Blackman, Sodje, Bennet, Sheppard, Mooney etc. There's an argument that even the likes of Gunter, Mariappa and Pog fall a little too close to that category.

Your rejection of our massively successful striker transfer policy (which has seen the likes of Kitson, Doyle, Lita, Long and Le Fondre produce Reading's most successful period ever), in favour of blindly pursuing 'ambitious' signings is bewildering.

At what point did you decide such a strategy was a failure?
Was it during the Summer, when we spent the whole time, to no avail, trying to offload Reading's highest ever paid player? The 'superstar' international striker that turned out to be an absolute flop.

So what if the free transfer Karl Sheppard turned out to be no good? Doesn't oxf*rd matter, he was free!

No, of course. You're right. I, like you, am so very tired of signing exciting young strikers for very little money, only for them to score a high number of goals and then make us a massive profit.

Let's stop with all the nonsense. Why continue with such a policy, when instead Nicky Hammond can watch clips of Gary Hooper on youtube, and pester him with phonecalls over a ridiculous move he's clearly not interested in?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Sep 2013 11:37

agreement reached! Huzzah!
with emphasis on the rational.

and lol at bustin' with ya :D & ripe for a gripe :lol:
Last edited by melonhead on 11 Sep 2013 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 11 Sep 2013 11:38

P!ssed Off I've been doing the maths:
Le Fondre = 25 goals
Karacan = 2 goals
Guthrie = 1 goal
Pogrebnyak = 5 goals (bit generous I know)
Blackman = 45 goals

Still leaves us 22 goals short.
Who am I forgetting?

Jason Roberts, although he'll get all 22 in his only start so while it will help with goal scored it won't help in terms of points, particularly considering we lose the game 23-22.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Sep 2013 11:38

although im not actually sure anton realised it would be so hard.
hence why he made the statement, and why he thought it was brians fault we didnt sign enough last time.
dont think he will be making such bold statements again

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 11 Sep 2013 12:19

melonhead dont think he will be making such bold statements again

..until January :lol:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Sep 2013 12:30

the season tickets already paid for by then, so he doesnt need to

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Sep 2013 13:30

melonhead the season tickets already paid for by then, so he doesnt need to

I am getting a mite jaded by your constant cynicism and negativity, young fella-me-lad.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Sep 2013 13:37

MH, Anton doesn't just say random shit. This stuff is talked about beforehand and agreed as the club's position.

Ian Royal
I don't know about you, but I'd rather the club was more ambitious and missed a higher proportion of signings, occasionally making us rely on the youth. Than we sign more over-priced mediocre toss like (certainly at the time) Blackman, Sodje, Bennet, Sheppard, Mooney etc.

That's an either/or fallacy. I'd rather the club was more ambitious and missed a higher proportion of signings, then my family die of AIDS.

I'd rather the club brought their transfer policy in-line with their declared ambition.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Sep 2013 13:55

But apparently there is no money and Anton needs the parachute payment to buy Madejski's remaining share.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Sep 2013 14:03

Extended-Phenotype
I'd rather the club brought their transfer policy in-line with their declared ambition.

They seem to have that sorted, it's the implementation, not the policy that seems to have missed the target.

In any case you can only judge the success of a transfer policy retrospectively, by which time it's too late.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Sep 2013 15:27

floyd__streete
melonhead the season tickets already paid for by then, so he doesnt need to

I am getting a mite jaded by your constant cynicism and negativity, young fella-me-lad.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Sep 2013 17:03

Extended-Phenotype MH, Anton doesn't just say random shit. This stuff is talked about beforehand and agreed as the club's position.

Ian Royal
I don't know about you, but I'd rather the club was more ambitious and missed a higher proportion of signings, occasionally making us rely on the youth. Than we sign more over-priced mediocre toss like (certainly at the time) Blackman, Sodje, Bennet, Sheppard, Mooney etc.

That's an either/or fallacy. I'd rather the club was more ambitious and missed a higher proportion of signings, then my family die of AIDS.

It is in line with the declared ambition. Said ambition just failed.

Previously, we'd have been able to achieve those numbers of signings for sure, because we'd have mediocrity like the aformentioned players as well as some solid ones and some talented punts. Now we're setting our stall at proper quality or using our academy.

It'd be nice if we'd got a quality safe bet lined up in the background in case. But I think they're pretty hard to get as it is, especially when they are down the list of what you actually want. Besides. I want to see some more of Ugwu. He looks a beast of a player.

Anyway, I think we basically agree, but are looking at it from different angles, levels of general contentment and with different ways of saying things.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Sep 2013 17:59

If they are pretty hard to come by, it's my opinion that the club should make this clear in their declaration of intent. 7 players seems a pretty big ask, but then this target shouldn't really be declared with the confidence it was.

My only beef.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Sep 2013 21:18

Extended-Phenotype If they are pretty hard to come by, it's my opinion that the club should make this clear in their declaration of intent. 7 players seems a pretty big ask, but then this target shouldn't really be declared with the confidence it was.

My only beef.

Well, we live and learn and I'm sure Anton is no different. I just hope people don't complain if we get more non-committal comments about transfer plans in future.

Magic Hat

by Magic Hat » 12 Sep 2013 09:48

Extended-Phenotype But apparently there is no money and Anton needs the parachute payment to buy Madejski's remaining share.

Very worrying if true, but we've seen no evidence to substantiate this.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Sep 2013 10:51

there is clearly money available, it is just a reality that if you go for players who are the best in the championship, or premiere league quality, or the very best potentially gr8 youngsters, theyd all want much more money from us to play in the championship than theyd take from a lower end prem team.

thats all it comes down to really imo

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 12 Sep 2013 11:19

Ian Royal
Extended-Phenotype If they are pretty hard to come by, it's my opinion that the club should make this clear in their declaration of intent. 7 players seems a pretty big ask, but then this target shouldn't really be declared with the confidence it was.

My only beef.

Well, we live and learn and I'm sure Anton is no different. I just hope people don't complain if we get more non-committal comments about transfer plans in future.

You say it like this is the first transfer window ever to happen and that football is a brand new sector for the club.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Sep 2013 11:21

Extended-Phenotype
Ian Royal

My only beef.

You say it like this is the first transfer window ever to happen and that football is a brand new sector for the club.

tbf its the first window where we started going for players in that catagory, instead of cut price bargains with potential
so it really is a brand new sector of the market for the club to get involved with

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 12 Sep 2013 11:23

Still a massive oversight to think it would be easy. But then I don't believe they did think it would be easy.

253 posts