Best strike force in the league?

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

Best strike force in the league?

by St. Brynjar » 26 Sep 2013 22:12

I know it sounds mad, but with the addition of Sharp to Pog, Alf, Blackman and potentially Roberts, we have a very competitive front line. I can only think of Watford (Fabbrini, Forestieri, Deeney), QPR (Zamora, Johnson, Austin, that new bloke) and maybe Leicester (Nugent, Vardy, Wood, Schlupp) that really compare in terms of depth.

Are we actually a bit better than we thought we were?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Best strike force in the league?

by Ian Royal » 26 Sep 2013 22:15

St. Brynjar I know it sounds mad, but with the addition of Sharp to Pog, Alf, Blackman and potentially Roberts, we have a very competitive front line. I can only think of Watford (Fabbrini, Forestieri, Deeney), QPR (Zamora, Johnson, Austin, that new bloke) and maybe Leicester (Nugent, Vardy, Wood, Schlupp) that really compare in terms of depth.

You need to factor in that Zamora and Johnson will spend at least half the season out injured. So I don't think QPR really come that close, assuming Pog can continue to live up to expecations following last weekend.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 26 Sep 2013 22:48

Lets's hope we start playing a formation that favours 2 strikers then,because as it stands we won't be doing much with our 'amazing strike force'. Le Fondre's going to struggle for match time at this rate.

RFCUK

by RFCUK » 26 Sep 2013 22:50

Blackman still has MUCH to prove + One impressive performance from Pog + Roberts will never come back = Much to be desired.

We're on the right track, but I wouldn't be getting carried away just yet:

Derby - 5 shots on target
Leeds - 1 shot on target
Brighton - 5 shots of target
Yeovil - 1 shot on target
Blackpool - 2 shots on target

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Sep 2013 22:51

Happy days

But (pre-season) didn't we tell ourselves that we already had it?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 26 Sep 2013 22:53

RFCUK Blackman still has MUCH to prove + One impressive performance from Pog + Roberts will never come back = Much to be desired.

Leeds - 1 shot on target

I know you didn't compile them, and i accept your point, but these stats are utter bullshit.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Sep 2013 23:35

Royal Ginger
RFCUK Blackman still has MUCH to prove + One impressive performance from Pog + Roberts will never come back = Much to be desired.

Leeds - 1 shot on target

I know you didn't compile them, and i accept your point, but these stats are utter bullshit.

I'd love to know where he's got them from, I remember more than 1 against Leeds (they may have had just 1) and the site I just checked had us with 5.

In fact the numbers are:
Derby - 5
Leeds - 5
Brighton - 4
Yeovil - 2
Blackpool - 2

Just goes to show that you have to take these statistics with a pinch of salt.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Sep 2013 00:18

St. Brynjar I know it sounds mad, but with the addition of Sharp to Pog, Alf, Blackman and potentially Roberts, we have a very competitive front line. I can only think of Watford (Fabbrini, Forestieri, Deeney), QPR (Zamora, Johnson, Austin, that new bloke) and maybe Leicester (Nugent, Vardy, Wood, Schlupp) that really compare in terms of depth.

Doesn't sound mad at all! As has been said already if Pog maintains form and Sharpie finds it we have some very capable strikers! Add to that Alfie has scored 4 in the league already and Adkins 100 goal target and 20 clean sheets is seeming less and less out of reach :shock:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Sep 2013 00:24

Rofl.

Two or three weeks ago people were going batshit on here because we didn't sign a striker. Now Pogrebnyak scores a massive two goals, and we sign someone on loan, now we have the best strike force in the league.

I love Reading fans, I really do.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 27 Sep 2013 00:25

Leeds - 1 shot on target

You're wearing your STGs. You could just as easily argue we have a Russian international hitting form, one of the top English strikers in the Premier League last year, the player who got us promoted last time, a loan signing coveted by most of our competitors and Nick Blackman.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 27 Sep 2013 00:26

genome Rofl.

Two or three weeks ago people were going batshit on here because we didn't sign a striker. Now Pogrebnyak scores a massive two goals, and we sign someone on loan, now we have the best strike force in the league.

The thread's not as fickle as you might think. It says more about the quality of the Championship than the quality of our forwards. Look at the squads of teams around us and you'll see it's slim pickings all round.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Sep 2013 00:50

genome Rofl.

This.

Pog and Blackman score but that doesn't suddenly make them good.

If Pog continues his comeback and Nick grows in confidence and finds some form then yes sure we'll have a very decent strikeforce, but it's just as likely that Pog will go on a drought again with fans getting on his back and Nick won't score again, Roberts will retire injured and Alf will only score wondergoals. In which case we'll only have sharp, who we're assuming wll hit the ground running but we don't really know.

Lets just see what happens before making rash claims!

PerthPom2013

by PerthPom2013 » 27 Sep 2013 02:15

2 world wars, 1 world cup
genome Rofl.

This.

Pog and Blackman score but that doesn't suddenly make them good.

If Pog continues his comeback and Nick grows in confidence and finds some form then yes sure we'll have a very decent strikeforce, but it's just as likely that Pog will go on a drought again with fans getting on his back and Nick won't score again, Roberts will retire injured and Alf will only score wondergoals. In which case we'll only have sharp, who we're assuming wll hit the ground running but we don't really know.

Lets just see what happens before making rash claims!

I also love the Reading Fan's pessimism :)

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 27 Sep 2013 02:22

I think you make a good point. Surprisingly enough, we have one of the best if not the best in the league. I still think Pogrebnyak has a lot to prove, but really hope he can kick from those 2 goals he scored at Derby and start showing the quality he is supposed to have. Blackman IMO is not good enough to play regularly in the Championship, yet. Roberts is already well past his best and will probably wont be anywhere near where he was before he got injured as he has been out for so long, but is still a positive character to have around the dressing room nonetheless.

Sharp should do well, especially being under Adkins again. But he has had a couple of spells in his career that have been far from prolific. Hope that isn't the case this time and don't think it will be. As for ALF, I think he has shown he is good enough to be starting regularly but you can see the reasons why that wont always be the case. We be interesting to see how things develop.

AkpansBFF

by AkpansBFF » 27 Sep 2013 06:40

We potentially could, but I think nigel sees blackman as more of a winger and I think hrk would be ahead of blackman in the lidt of strikers

Pog - if he starts to properly live up to his expectations
Roberts - if we see him again and if hes anywhere near as good he'd be great
Alf - good player would play less but he'd be a good part of the strikeforce
Sharp - great signing hopefully bangs a fair few in
Hrk - I thinked he looked good against leeds

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 27 Sep 2013 09:03

This thread is actually ridiculous after the shite that was being spouted on here after the transfer window shut. We've only brought in one player, and we already had a very good frontline - people just failed to see it.

/rant

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Sep 2013 09:05

Can I just point out I have always been 100% behind the Pog.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Sep 2013 09:10

kwik-silva This thread is actually ridiculous after the shite that was being spouted on here after the transfer window shut. We've only brought in one player, and we already had a very good frontline - people just failed to see it.

/rant

'Greed.

We've had a strong squad throughout the summer, and the amount of stick the club had to take from the fans earlier this month was beyond ridiculous.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Sep 2013 09:11

genome Rofl.

I love Reading fans, I really do.*

*I hate Reading fans.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 27 Sep 2013 11:37

Having the best strikers in the division may help a team but without any creativity going on behind them you may as well play a couple of dustbins up front....