The Adkins Sack/Resignation Countdown Thread

361 posts
SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Re: The Adkins Sack/Resignation Countdown Thread

by SPARTA » 26 Dec 2013 18:02

Certainly in the camp that are frustrated with the side changing every week, and the formation too. You can't build any confidence like that.

Adkins admitted to BBCRB recently that the ownership situation could be affecting the players, and it must be. When TSI came along there was a buzz about the place, it lifted us (re: Jason Roberts). But this time it seems to be different, and that for me only lends itself to the rumours about how bad things may be financially and maybe the rumours are true that playing players might be a problem in the near future. I just hope that there is a new owner on the cards. We need investment in the team NOW - not a window of keeping what we have. A few ins, a few outs, and try and stay in the mix for the summer when hopefully we can support the manager fully (this time) and give it a go next season. This season for me is a season of transition. We aren't going anywhere this season, and that isn't a bad thing. If we went up it would be another short stay!

FWIW, get back to 4-4-2 every week. Settle the side, utilise the width and have two strikers up there waiting for the chances.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 26 Dec 2013 18:04

Sparta wrote: FWIW, get back to 4-4-2 every week. Settle the side, utilise the width and have two strikers up there waiting for the chance

+1

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 26 Dec 2013 19:49

ill give him 2 months max

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 26 Dec 2013 20:22

With talk of new investment from Oman I doubt if Adkins is fearful of loosing his job just yet, we need to show stability even over results. It's a waiting game for now.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 26 Dec 2013 20:34

He wont get sacked under the current regime, it'll cost them far too much money. However, it's usually the case a new owner wants his own man, and if Adkins continues to struggle with this squad, even though it's not all his fault IMO, any new owner is likely to struggle with patience.

I want it to work out for him here. I like him, I like the way his sides play football (ultimately), and I like the confidence he instills in the club as a whole - sadly that is currently biting him in the bum since he talked us up in the summer and then the club not keeping their promises with the summer investment. If we give him investment this window and in the summer, he will come good; but the ownership situation may have a big say in that.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 26 Dec 2013 20:45

SPARTA He wont get sacked under the current regime, it'll cost them far too much money. However, it's usually the case a new owner wants his own man, and if Adkins continues to struggle with this squad, even though it's not all his fault IMO, any new owner is likely to struggle with patience.

I want it to work out for him here. I like him, I like the way his sides play football (ultimately), and I like the confidence he instills in the club as a whole - sadly that is currently biting him in the bum since he talked us up in the summer and then the club not keeping their promises with the summer investment. If we give him investment this window and in the summer, he will come good; but the ownership situation may have a big say in that.

Agree with every word, maybe the knee jerk fools should take this in .

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 26 Dec 2013 20:54

If he did go who would be the alternative?

Whilst I'm running out of patience a little bit I'm still not sure there is anyone out there any better than what we have. Just wish we could see a little more progress that's all.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 26 Dec 2013 20:56

Lacoste If he did go who would be the alternative?

Whilst I'm running out of patience a little bit I'm still not sure there is anyone out there any better than what we have. Just wish we could see a little more progress that's all.

I hear that the guy they have a Leeds is good at getting the most out of relatively weak squad . . . . .

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 26 Dec 2013 21:05

Elm Park Kid
Lacoste If he did go who would be the alternative?

I hear that the guy they have a Leeds is good at getting the most out of relatively weak squad . . . . .

:roll:

MeMeMe

by MeMeMe » 26 Dec 2013 21:32

Well Southampton used him to get themselves out of the Championship... just. Then gave him a spell in the top flight, then realised they needed to move onwards and upwards to survive in there. So despite the fans and general public thinking that he was doing a fine job fighting for survival, they sacked him and replaced him. Now look at the general footballing perception of Southampton.

We... picked up Adkins and are starting where Southampton started years back. We have moved backwards, there is no guarantee he can do what he did with Southampton again.... and with our players and level of investment it's looking unlikely.

Not Adkins fault.... the club must take the blame fair & square, Mr Mad and Mr Howe. Whilst we have no real investment, we cannot realise any ambition and with 'Mad Howe' disease and the 'Reading way', we will never amount to anymore than we are.

Off to spend my £10 Waitrose voucher as a valued season ticket holder... no wait... I don't want to spend £90 in Waitrose to get it... oh well.

yappy

by yappy » 26 Dec 2013 22:05

SPARTA FWIW, get back to 4-4-2 every week. Settle the side, utilise the width and have two strikers up there waiting for the chances.

100% agree. Would have McCleary on the right and Drenthe on the left, not sure I'm a fan of right footed players playing on the left and vice versa. It's not as if our wingers get a lot of goals from cutting in and bending one in the far corner. With Pog/Sharp/Alfie up top, I think if we had two wingers getting the ball into the box rather than cutting in looking for a shot, we'd look a lot more dangerous. Would also benefit alot from having a proper left back- when is Bridge actually expected back?

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 27 Dec 2013 02:48

If Adkins went who would we get in? He's our best bet right now and I hope he gets at least the season if not longer.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 27 Dec 2013 10:50

We'd hope for someone with a good record at this level, someone who has won a few promotions, someone that when he clears out the dead wood would play attractive football. I'd like Nigel Adkins.

Seriously though, we'd probably end up with Michael Appleton and then in League 1 the following season. Be careful what you wish for people. We have a very good manager here, he just needs to support he was promised and some time!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Dec 2013 11:06

SPARTA We'd hope for someone with a good record at this level, someone who has won a few promotions, someone that when he clears out the dead wood would play attractive football. I'd like Nigel Adkins.

Seriously though, we'd probably end up with Michael Appleton and then in League 1 the following season. Be careful what you wish for people. We have a very good manager here, he just needs to support he was promised and some time!

Exactly this!

And for those still hankering after Brian McDermott and his style of football - Leeds really isn't that far away and they'll be playing a few games in the South too.

This is a work in progress and I'm pretty sure progress would have been quicker, if JM and AZ hadn't screwed up things between them. Will funds really be available come January or will it once again be a case of 'funds were available for the manager but the right players weren't available'?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Dec 2013 11:13

I suspect we would get someone more than decent from another club.

When you try to replace a manager you don't have to just go after those without a job. Hopefully a new owner will come in and want his own man, hopefully a man who is the opposite of big mouth Adkins and fits the Reading way.
Last edited by sandman on 27 Dec 2013 11:33, edited 1 time in total.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 27 Dec 2013 11:31

sandman I suspect we would get someone decent from another club.

When you try to replace a manager you don't have to just go after those without a job. Hopefully a new owner will come in and want his own man, hopefully a man who is the opposite of big mouth Adkins and fits the Reading way.

Congratulations! Come and collect your 'prized tit' award for the most stupid post 2013. Well done.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Dec 2013 11:36

Some of the posts on here are absolutely ridiculous

A manager being sacked just out of the play offs! A manager walking away from his contract? What planet are you lot on! The alternatives are great aren't they!! All hail Phil Bloody Parkinson!

We are in transition and whilst we are there or thereabouts then nothing will change and club will not panic. This is no Brendan Rodgers scenario. Other fans visiting this site or even players for that matter must look on at us in utter bewilderment!

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 27 Dec 2013 11:40

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Sparta wrote: FWIW, get back to 4-4-2 every week. Settle the side, utilise the width and have two strikers up there waiting for the chance

+1

This is it.

Play this with tempo, width and passion in the tackle and the fans will be back on board even if results don't quite go our way.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 27 Dec 2013 11:54

paultheroyal Phil Bloody Parkinson!

Uncalled for :evil:

Other fans visiting this site or even players for that matter must look on at us in utter bewilderment!

1. Who gives a fůck
2. If they see us play they'd understand

FTR I believe we have no option but to stick with Nige. However, that doesn't mean I think he is doing a good job. He needs to swallow that huge bolus of pride he's been masticating since he got here, and play rapid football down the wings. Doesn't mean it can't be pretty for the vain one in charge.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 27 Dec 2013 12:03

This is Rodgers all over again. Couple of seasons to change it please. I can make do with crap games and mid-table finishes for a couple of years if the end result is a better style of play and a future to build on.

361 posts