Meeting Reading players

118 posts
BrianMünchen

Meeting Reading players

by BrianMünchen » 20 Nov 2013 10:25

Apologies if this has been done before but would be interested to hear of any face to face encounters fans have had with the players...?

I met David Kitson, must have been 2004 time , i was a 14 year old in awe of the ginger beast, I nervously walked up to him with a couple of friends in tow and asked "excuse me, are you David Kiston" (what a fcuking stupid question, knowing full well it was him) He replied with a simple "Nah i'm not" (Himself and his 2 mates laugh).. Me - "Oh right, sorry" (Walk off) To be fair he called us back and signed our shirts but the damage was done, never really liked him after that.

Met Mr Murty in Summer 09 when he was with Soton, they were drinking in Windsor w'spoons for some reason. A few of us went up to him and shook his hand, asked for a pic etc. Ended up speaking to him for about an hour, having a few drinks, he even introduced us to a few of the soton players. Favourite question he asked "Where do you go in windsor for fit girls?" :lol: . Anyway a thoroughly decent bloke and seemed to appreciate the support Reading fans had given him.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Meeting Reading players

by Green » 20 Nov 2013 11:17

Met quite a few of them when they gate crashed our sixth form xmas party at Nue Val Bonnes circa 1998. They'd had theirs that night too, and all came in after despite us having booked the club out they let them all in, which was fair enough really we weren't too fussed.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Nov 2013 11:35

I've sat in Andy Hughes flat with John Salako and James Harper - drinking tea.

Darius Henderson got jealous cos i was friendly with his missus and he saw us hug in a chippy....came in and just stood there staring at me.

Met Barry Hunter, Darren Caskey and Mass Sarr in Yates - Hunter bought me a beer and i kissed Sarr's head (not his penis)

Used to play footy with Archie Lovells brother, so he used to turn up on a few nights out.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Nov 2013 11:54

Didn't you meet Rougier once TBM - I'm sure there's a pic of it somewhere....

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 20 Nov 2013 12:12

Trevor Senior - he used to room with my cousin on away trips when they played together for Middlesbrough so when I saw him we had a brief chat about that....

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 20 Nov 2013 12:19

Met Sidwell in Falaraki, he was sick on his own shoes one evening.

Not a meeting as such, but Andy Hughes watched me play football, in a an interesting role reversal.

A fellow nobber spoke to Matt Mills to suggest that Reading would have done better had Mills been playing in a recent game, to which Mills threatened to punch him.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 20 Nov 2013 12:20

Brendon Rodgers used to live in the same road as my daughter. Met him a couple of times and he was a very friendly bloke.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 20 Nov 2013 12:34

Frequently used to serve drinks to Gilkesy, Scotty Taylor and Dylan Kerr at Sindlesham Mill. Top, top blokes. And Adie Williams occasionally.

Occasioned upon the whole 1988 squad in the Warwick Arms one weekday lunchtime during the Branfoot era, presumably after a morning's training session. Steve Moran appeared to be the ringleader of the jaunt and was smashed.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 20 Nov 2013 12:44

Met:

Glen Little in Henley once

Steve Sidwell - shook his hand at the Mad Stad during the Red hot chilli peppers concert - I also drunkenly lunged towards his wife and scared her. Also met his son at the Pompey away game about 5 years ago.

Graeme Murty - met him on the 2011/12 promotion tour - he was in the rain, with his son on his shoulders opposite the Monks Retreat - some had pictures taken - I shouted "CAN I HAVE ONE?!!!" and he was like " :roll: :roll: :roll: yea, hang on a minute"

Shane Long - met in Frankie and Benny's in Woodley when he was with his GF - that was about 5-6 years ago

John Madejski twice - both in the hotel area - very nice chap

Dave Kitson - once in the Oracle and once in hotel after a game - seemed a bit offish but didn't say anything of offence

Kevin Dillion - nice guy, he shouted at me and got angry (can't disclose why). I also met his daughter. Those two occasions are completely unrelated - honestly.

James Harper - met in the Oracle, he was in a jewellery shop looking around, shook his hand, said Hi and nothing much else.

I saw Brian McDermott in Eton Costa Coffee and spent about 10 minutes hovering around him to the point that I thought "no that's not him", when I knew in my head it was, but just got nervous - which is a bit pathetic. It was just after his game against Watford with Leeds.

About 7 years ago I THOUGHT I saw Adam Federici in Lower Earley's Asda. I got a pen and paper from a staff member, asked him for his autograph. He looked at me as if I'd asked to give him a rectal examination. He said "What?". I ended up being honest and saying "I thought you were Adam Federici", but he just looked clueless and said "No I'm not". I walked away very embarassed and returned to the vegetable area. :oops:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 20 Nov 2013 12:45

bobby1413 Kevin Dillion - nice guy, he shouted at me and got angry (can't disclose why)

Can't or won't?

You've told us this much, poor nobbing not to complete the job.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Nov 2013 12:51

Some bloke who was the exact spit of Brian McDermott walked into The Friendship in Manchester one evening. I wasn't the only one who took a double take.

A bit later, I managed to ask him and he said "I get that a lot nowadays. Never used to".

Which I liked as an answer.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Nov 2013 12:52

I also saw Dave Kitson mooching around the Arndale. He looked really sad. This would have been 6 months into his move to Stoke. In hindsight, I should have offered to buy him a hot chocolate.

Other than those two example, I can't think I've met any other Reading players.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 20 Nov 2013 12:57

stealthpapes
Other than those two example, I can't think I've met any other Reading players.

*taps fingers on desk*

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 20 Nov 2013 13:00

Mick Gooding came around my house for an evaluation. I didn't even know it was him that was coming, let alone that he was an Estate Agent at the time.

Lovely chap, we talked football more than we talked about the house. He couldn't keep his eyes off the telly which had Barca vs whoever.

Hungary Royal

by Hungary Royal » 20 Nov 2013 13:05

Met Barry Hunter a while back, he was friends with my next door neighbour. Never really talked to him, but I did muster up the courage to ask him to get the whole team to sign my shirt. A good couple of months later came back a shirt (not my original one) with the autographs of all the team, must've been early noughties.

Hungary Royal

by Hungary Royal » 20 Nov 2013 13:06

Plus I was lucky enough to be in the BBC Radio Berks box for a home game against Burnleh. I was within breathing distance of Adie Williams, if I remember

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Nov 2013 13:21

My school football team was coached by Mick Kearney and captained by George Friel.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 20 Nov 2013 13:26

Aaron Brown in Envy night club in Camberly after a night at the Lakeside darts. This was during his reading highpoint of a few decent displays in the reserves. My brother recognised him, I suspect it was the first and only time he was recognised.

Alan Pardew was collecting his luggage off the same flight as me back from San Francisco in 2003. Bit stand offish.

High Fived Ibrahima Sonko in the turtle after the the Derby 4-0 win that clinched the title. Also chatted to Scott Golbourne who wasnt at all interesting.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Nov 2013 13:31

NUTS AWARD ANECDOTE

chatting to John Halls and not realising he was, indeed, John Halls.

I think I asked him what his username on Hob Nob was.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 20 Nov 2013 13:48

Sat in Bar 38 having a beer with Leroy Lita on a couple of occassions. I liked the bloke. He was polite but acted as if he knew he was cool.

Also Kevin Doyle after the Birmingham match which we won 2-1. Spoke to him about the game, nice fella. He got in quite a long conversation with the significant other :shock:

118 posts