Meeting Reading players

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

Re: Meeting Reading players

by glass half full » 24 Nov 2013 22:17

He was bombing down the road in a B52.

Hoss

by Hoss » 24 Nov 2013 22:40

Platypuss
Hoss I remember it was pissing it down and he was blasting this thing up and down the M52 at breakneck speeds.

No such road!

Oh, I must have made the whole thing up!

What's the motorway between Brum and Telford? M54?

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 25 Nov 2013 09:29

Helped Phil Parkinson unload several crates of beer from his car outside the Tilehurst End before a pre season game once :?

And basically BFFs with Jimmy Kebe during his time at Reading as he was a client of mine.

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 25 Nov 2013 14:58

Although we have not met up for a while, I can count Nicky Forster as a friend, and the same used to be true of John Salako although I have lost contact with the latter.

I have been out on a proper bender with both in Surrey with our respective other halves. Foz phoned Adie Williams at about 3 in the morning to let him know we were pissed. I later met Adie when BBCRB asked me to be interviewed by him for the Cardiff play off semi and Foz rang while were were there.

I have also met the following when advising them on non football related business:

Steve Coppell - charming, friendly and VERY sharp
Brian McDermott
Jamie Cureton
Andy Hughes
James Harper
Steve Brown
Darius Henderson (grumpy)
Graeme Murty
Steve Sidwell
Ivar Ingermarsson
Kevin Watson
Shane Long

Salako, Forster and Cureton all came to Binfield FC (where my son played) to present the end of season prizes in consecutive years as a favour. All Top guys.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 25 Nov 2013 15:00

Seems like Darius Henderson is universally popular then...

double d

by double d » 25 Nov 2013 18:15

I have had the incredible honor of Sir Steve watching 4 of my University football games throughout one season in Chiswick whilst he was walking his dog. He stayed on the sidelines and seemed genuinely interested and involved, and clapped a few goals. After one game he actually came onto the pitch and congratulated all of us! Needless to say I was speechless.

I also stepped on Jem Karacans foot once in Bar Rev and he gave me a dirty look.
Bumped into Kitson in Lower Earley petrol station by Asda.
Lived opposite Shane Longs mum and near Leroy Lita when he had his HUGE hummer that hate L8 L1TA on the number place.
Met Bas Savage (!!!) in a carpark.
Served Sonko and Federici withen 25 minutes of each other in Winnersh Sainsbury.

My dad trumps me and beats probably most other people however.... His best friend for over 40 years from South Africa (where my dad is from) is a Manchester United scout, so he has met practically the entire Man United Squad in the last 20 years, eaten with Sir Alex in a posh restaurant with the rest of the staff and played card with him (they were allowed one guest each), met Ronaldo, Rooney, Beckham etc and many other players from opposing teams who they have played. And he also met Johann Cruyff a few years ago and actually started crying as my dad idolised him!!!!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Nov 2013 18:16

double d Met Bas Savage (!!!) in a carpark.

ALOL

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 25 Nov 2013 20:29

Met Bas Savage on a tube. Your move.

double d

by double d » 25 Nov 2013 20:32

I gave him a drunken hug. Checkmate.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 25 Nov 2013 20:36

Surprised he hangs around with eastern europeans..

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 26 Nov 2013 10:34

The Rouge Met Bas Savage on a tube. Your move.

Which line?

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 26 Nov 2013 16:33

I am afraid I can't give a definitive answer here, but it was either the Victoria or Bakerloo line.

He did flatter to deceive, but in his best games for Reading, it was like watching a Tory winger with his Savage cutbacks.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 26 Nov 2013 16:46

Talk of the tube has just reminded me that Spickroyal and myself (along with someone who doesn’t post) met Sidwell, Shorey and Convey with their other halves (actually I think Convey was with his Mum), getting the tube and train back from the Arsenal League Cup game in 2005. The club apparently wouldn’t pay for the travel of their families, so in an act of defiance they decided to get public transport home. I do have a photo of us with them somewhere, but whoever took it (Shorey’s missus iirc) didn’t use a flash so it was too dark.

Ended up in the Turtle until 4am that night and didn’t make it into work the next day. Csb.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 26 Nov 2013 16:49

dizzynewheights And basically BFFs with Jimmy Kebe during his time at Reading as he was a client of mine.

Do you work on the Oxford Road?

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 26 Nov 2013 17:37

A very enjoyable thread, great stories...

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 26 Nov 2013 20:06

Used to go for a drink at the Blue Lion in Bracknell when Gary Peters ran the pub. Went there and got slaughtered after the Simod Cup win.
Got to know him through a relative as he used to turn up at some family functions. Actually spent a day with him at a Villa in the Algarve many moons ago. We met up with family members whilst on holiday there ourselves.

When he moved to Cambridge with John Beck he left the area and never really saw him as his marriage broke down.

By pure coincidence I was in a Preston Night Club with mates (Peters was manager of Preston at the time) and bumped into him there. He was there with the PNE squad. He sort of remembered me (In a drunken sort of way).

Have not seen nor heard anything about him since.

I also used to go to school with (Mr Misery) Laurie Sanchez

The Deacon

by The Deacon » 27 Nov 2013 14:38

SHORT AND CURLY Used to go for a drink at the Blue Lion in Bracknell when Gary Peters ran the pub. Went there and got slaughtered after the Simod Cup win.
Got to know him through a relative as he used to turn up at some family functions. Actually spent a day with him at a Villa in the Algarve many moons ago. We met up with family members whilst on holiday there ourselves.

When he moved to Cambridge with John Beck he left the area and never really saw him as his marriage broke down.

By pure coincidence I was in a Preston Night Club with mates (Peters was manager of Preston at the time) and bumped into him there. He was there with the PNE squad. He sort of remembered me (In a drunken sort of way).

Have not seen nor heard anything about him since.

I also used to go to school with (Mr Misery) Laurie Sanchez

You may very well know my brother.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 27 Nov 2013 17:23

Scutterbucketz
Just remembered something else; my best mates ex wife was (apparently) gang banged by 6 or 7 of the 2002-2003 team.

Right, lets get these 6 or 7 named then. Can you give us some subtle clues? They were Shorey used protection but they Forster into something she didn't want. The men were of mixed racial backgrounds but she gave a Whitehead. Oh well, one Upson bum, no harm done. That kinda thing :?:

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 27 Nov 2013 17:31

Neil Smith and Kevin Lisbie on the train back from a good hiding at Bristol City. Pardew was manager at the time and both players slated him big time.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 02 Dec 2013 13:16

Tokyo Sex Whale One tried to rent a place through us, the landlady Googled his name and said "For no amount of money would I rent my house to that person". He is a still with us now.

Can't give names unfortunately but theres my tuppence.
Leroy Lita would be my guess.