Madejski comments on club ownership

385 posts
tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Madejski comments

by tmesis » 22 Dec 2013 00:40

If he hadn't sold his 51%, would the club actually be any worse off?

I can only really say yes in one respect, in that he no longer has any say in selling on the 51% if someone else wants to buy.

Other than that, has Anton's takeover been bad for the club, really? He's not taken money out of the club. He's not running up big debts in a promotion gamble. OK, he's not pumped in millions, but it was said from the outset that that wasn't going to happen.

You could say there's uncertainly about whether funds will be available in January, but even that's an improvement of sorts on just knowing there wouldn't be.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 22 Dec 2013 15:02

dizzynewheights This mess is all his making. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand.

That where he picked us up, and where we are now are two very different places.

The decision to sell 51% to Anton may turn out to be a poor decision, but what is clear is that SJM still has enough responsibility, resources, and control to keep the situation from turning toxic in the way we have seen so many others go.

He clearly isn't as flush as he was previously, and at the same time football has evolved to demand even greater resources in order to compete than previously. Maybe if we hadn't had to endure the biggest financial crisis of our times, which hit Madejski's business interests hard, then he wouldn't have had to find outside investment in such a relative hurry?

Ultimately SJM built his own success and chose his legacy - a major part of which was to become a philanthropist for Reading as a town, and it's football club. It's very easy for an armchair critic to sit there and criticise SJM, but I ask, in order to do so with credibility - What contributions you have made to this town and football club that even come close to matching his?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Madejski comments on club ownership

by Royal Rother » 22 Dec 2013 16:36

Successful due diligence has never been a guarantee of a successful outcome.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 22 Dec 2013 17:04

Poor old John!

We had a taste of the Prem 7 years ago & ever since it's been "Where's the money gone" etc etc even though most people with half a brain cell knows you do not make any money in football.

He tried to fund Coppell as much as he could in 08-09 to get back up but it didn't quite come off. He's then tried to go out & get new external investment - that investment got us to the PL again. But then he got a load more abuse because we're still not throwing enough money around. (Incidentally TSI said at the time, it would be business as usual but a few additions where possible & not having to sell our best players).

Regardless of what you think of Anton/TSI - it would be grossly unfair to state they haven't done that because they have. The only reason we lost Kebe & Mariappa is because they wanted out.

Being a chairman is a thankless task. Can't win either way!

Be grateful he is still around that's all I can say. Whatever you think of John, you know he wants the club to have a bright future & it actually means something to him. If he hadn't been around, Anton could have sanctioned god knows what & we would be looking at a mountain of debt right now.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Dec 2013 17:41

Very clear the Anton era is over, though I thought a couple of comments suggested AZ (or his dad probably) will continue to fund the club for the short term so perhaps not all doom and gloom. Obvious that the club is worth more to any potential new owner if we are in the hunt for the Prem so a few extra quid in January could be a good longer term investment by SJM / AZ.

Not sure how much will be made available for January though. Reckon there will be a couple of players leaving to help balance out the payroll of any new signings.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 22 Dec 2013 17:47

Cureton's Volley
dizzynewheights This mess is all his making. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand.

That where he picked us up, and where we are now are two very different places.

The decision to sell 51% to Anton may turn out to be a poor decision, but what is clear is that SJM still has enough responsibility, resources, and control to keep the situation from turning toxic in the way we have seen so many others go.

He clearly isn't as flush as he was previously, and at the same time football has evolved to demand even greater resources in order to compete than previously. Maybe if we hadn't had to endure the biggest financial crisis of our times, which hit Madejski's business interests hard, then he wouldn't have had to find outside investment in such a relative hurry?

Ultimately SJM built his own success and chose his legacy - a major part of which was to become a philanthropist for Reading as a town, and it's football club. It's very easy for an armchair critic to sit there and criticise SJM, but I ask, in order to do so with credibility - What contributions you have made to this town and football club that even come close to matching his?

MmmMonsterMunch Poor old John!

We had a taste of the Prem 7 years ago & ever since it's been "Where's the money gone" etc etc even though most people with half a brain cell knows you do not make any money in football.

He tried to fund Coppell as much as he could in 08-09 to get back up but it didn't quite come off. He's then tried to go out & get new external investment - that investment got us to the PL again. But then he got a load more abuse because we're still not throwing enough money around. (Incidentally TSI said at the time, it would be business as usual but a few additions where possible & not having to sell our best players).

Regardless of what you think of Anton/TSI - it would be grossly unfair to state they haven't done that because they have. The only reason we lost Kebe & Mariappa is because they wanted out.

Be grateful he is still around that's all I can say. Whatever you think of John, you know he wants the club to have a bright future & it actually means something to him. If he hadn't been around, Anton could have sanctioned god knows what & we would be looking at a mountain of debt right now.

Two excellent posts.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 22 Dec 2013 19:31

Anyone else listening to that interview think that SJM sounded a bit frustrated and disappointed with the whole situation.

It was almost like he was saying this is the way it is, it's not great but we're dealing with it.

When asked when we might see Anton in the UK he said something like I don't have access to his diary!

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Dec 2013 20:07

rob the royal Anyone else listening to that interview think that SJM sounded a bit frustrated and disappointed with the whole situation.

It was almost like he was saying this is the way it is, it's not great but we're dealing with it.

When asked when we might see Anton in the UK he said something like I don't have access to his diary!

Yes - definite under current to the interview. Thought it was a classic response when he said "you'll have to ask Anton" about when he'd next be in the UK. If only our local journalists had Anton's contact details!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Dec 2013 22:28

I may well be naive and in the minority now but I still kinda trust AZ.

Can't say I've been following it closely but almost zero publicity re his and Katsia's baby, plus SJM's comments that everything is still ok, they are still getting on fine and he is relaxed about the situation but Anton has been attending to family matters suggests to me that all may not be well with mother and / or child.

SJM is exactly the sort to tell him to spend as much time with his family as necessary and he'll keep things ticking over and hold off the press and fans.

It's a thought anyway. Hope I'm wrong.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 22 Dec 2013 23:05

"Anton has been very loyal to Reading. I don't think people appreciate how much he has invested in the club."
Appreciate?!! He's the oxf*rd owner that's what he is there for

"You'll have to talk to Anton about that, he doesn't tell me his diary" he said.

"I don't know when he's coming back to tell you the truth"

Ummmm because he ain't

"Anton is still the owner of the club as such, but obviously it's in his interests and my interests for the club to get promotion"
You either are, or are not the owner, no such involved

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Dec 2013 23:07

Royal Rother Successful due diligence has never been a guarantee of a successful outcome.

But it's a good effing start and poor due diligence will more often than not guarantee the opposite. It's now looking like a case of piss poor due diligence and a far from watertight sale agreement.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 22 Dec 2013 23:25

Great post mate.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 22 Dec 2013 23:54

Top post.

I am sure JM was trying to do the best thing by the club and AZ looked like the answer. I am sure that JM is the most gutted of all of us that things appear not to have worked out. We still don't know why but it would appear that AZ wants out. And my admiration for JM has increased because he stepped into the breach and has continued and extended his stay as Chairman to keep things afloat.

But I found his comments positive - I don't think he would have given that interview if new owners were not lined up. We can only hope for new owners who have money and are in for the long term.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 23 Dec 2013 07:48

Good timing by Sir John Madejski to be interviewed on local radio.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 23 Dec 2013 09:46

Pepe the Horseman Fair play to Tim Dellor for actually asking the right questions. #Notconvinced about the whole Anton sitch from JM's comments, but is reassuring that there does seem to be some mullah available for Jan.

Fair play to SJM for telling Tim Dellor the questions to ask him.
This will all have been scripted

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Dec 2013 09:51

Anton isn't going anywhere. You guys are all getting your knickers in a twist over literally nothing. oxf*rd hilarious.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 23 Dec 2013 10:18

CountryRoyal Anton isn't going anywhere. You guys are all getting your knickers in a twist over literally nothing. oxf*rd hilarious.

Your an idiot

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 23 Dec 2013 10:22

Reading4eva
CountryRoyal Anton isn't going anywhere. You guys are all getting your knickers in a twist over literally nothing. oxf*rd hilarious.

Your an idiot

Oh dear......

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Dec 2013 10:28

Reading4eva

Your an idiot

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Dec 2013 11:00

Reading4eva

Your an idiot

:lol:

385 posts