BFTG Wigan

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Wigan

by St. Brynjar » 21 Dec 2013 18:53

ZacNaloen
Pearce - 3 - Woeful, I have no idea what he was trying to do for the second goal and yet I could see it coming from a mile off. Very poor performance.

He was trying to control it, but the ball wouldn't come down, then caught a gust and bounced awkwardly and the Wigan player jumped on the opportunity.

Fair enough, I thought he was trying to pass it back to McCarthy and fluffed it. Still very poor.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 21 Dec 2013 18:53

No, it was just a comedy of error.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 21 Dec 2013 19:02

Totally unsurprisingly that was totally awful. I think I've enjoyed about 2 and a half games since Adkins took over, otherwise it has been complete garbage. Home form not good enough; a mere 40% of games at home this season have been won, and most of those entirely unconvincingly.

Where was the 'passing football' today? The superior style which will keep us in the Premier League when we get back there? For an hour it was useless, long ball forward. At least that kept the ball as far away from our laughable defence as possible. The most damning thing you can say about Pearce's performance is that when he was taken off Gunter out-performed him at centre half. Not that Gunter himself is immune from criticism, he completely bottled a challenge high up the pitch during the second half which is characteristic of his cowardice. He wasn't the worst full back on the pitch though; I'd hoped I'd never see Sean Cummings again after he turned in one of the worst individual performances I've ever seen from a Reading player at Peterborough this season. Humiliatingly for Cummings, he was replaced by a young winger who was a huge improvement. I would say that I don't expect to ever see Cummings in a Reading shirt again, but given the ludicrous situation which has left us without a single fit left back I fear I might not be so lucky.

Further up the pitch: Drenthe a couple of step-overs which our moronic supporters swooned over and bugger all else before he departed, the fat overweight waste of space. Williams, awful. Guthrie worse. Sharp dreadful, usual clamour for ALF on, the usual anonymous performance from 'Super Sub'. Best player for us was Pog, a player who couldn't even get in the team at the start of the season. Sums it all up :!:

Substitutions can most politely be described as 'curious'. The fact that we got back into the game says more for Wigan's Europa League exertions than any tactical masterplan from Adkins.....they were blowing out of their @rse for the last 25 minutes and still frankly looked just as - if not more - likely to score on the counter as we did to salvaging something from another grim performance.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 21 Dec 2013 19:04

P!ssed Off :|
I'm not booing to motivate the players.
I'm booing because I'm angry at having to watch that shit, week in week out.
The players can either strive to play better, or they can go and cry in the corner. It's up to them.
I will continue to boo

We have a member of the mong brigade amongst us

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 21 Dec 2013 19:06

Shaun Cummings was utter cack.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 21 Dec 2013 19:07

Next two games:
Away at Leicester next. We have no chance.
Away at Middlesbrough. Who knows.

What I'm fairly certain of is that if Reading win neither of these two games then the next home game on New Year's Day against Forest will be met with ugly scenes if Reading don't win.

The fans are not fond of Adkins, they are not entertained by Adkins. If results continue to slide as well then expect to hear a very large proportion at the game telling him to oxf*rd off.

KDRF

by KDRF » 21 Dec 2013 19:07

That finish by Sharp when through on goal on his left was fcuking horrific, didn't try to slot it left or right of the keeper, just dinked it into his fcuking hands. Cummings was exposed for his lack of first touch due to the conditions, took him 2 touches to get the ball under control and then he was under pressure.

Everyone praising Gorkks, did you not see him hoof the ball to there centre backs head every time? Just because he has a decent touch compared to Pearce does not mean hes good in possession.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 21 Dec 2013 19:08

genome

Don't go then you entitled festering shit cunt

Yes i feel my season ticket fee plus travel costs entitles me to at least one good performance per season.
Sue me...

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 21 Dec 2013 19:09

P!ssed Off Next two games:
Away at Leicester next. We have no chance.
Away at Middlesbrough. Who knows.

What I'm fairly certain of is that if Reading win neither of these two games then the next home game on New Year's Day against Forest will be met with ugly scenes if Reading don't win.

The fans are not fond of Adkins, they are not entertained by Adkins. If results continue to slide as well then expect to hear a very large proportion at the game telling him to oxf*rd off.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 21 Dec 2013 19:10

soggy biscuit
The players can either strive to play better, or they can go and cry in the corner. It's up to them.
I will continue to boo

We have a member of the mong brigade amongst us

Why did you snip out "If they continue to play like shit" part, may I ask?

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 21 Dec 2013 19:11

What a shocking, uninspiring mess. However there were a few positives - namely that Wigan were limited to few chances despite our dreadful defending, and that for once we actually created something now and again.

McCarthy - 5 - looked very shaky and distribution was poor. A couple of okay saves.
Gunter - 6 - lots of mistakes but generally played well and won the penalty.
Pearce - 3 - dreadful. Just dreadful.
Gorkks - 7 - good performance, commanding in the air.
Cummings - 3 - every single time he just chipped it up the line, usually straight out for a goal kick. Awful.
Drenthe - 7 - creative and skillful.
Guthrie - 6.5 - terrible first half, better in the second.
Williams - 6 - same as Guthrie, but didn't improve as much.
McAnuff - 7.5 - good performance, especially defensively in the second half.
Sharp - 4 - woeful and missed the penalty.
Pogrebynak - 9 - MOTM. Absolutely outstanding once again, unlucky not to score more and was winning everything. Superb.

Obita - 4 - didn't help out at the back and didn't beat his man once.
ALF - 5 - should be starting, didn't look that dangerous but got in better positions than Sharp.
McCleary - 5 - looked dangerous but his crossing was fcuking terrible. As usual.

Referee was very inconsistent with regards to moving the ball back from free kicks.

The Wigan player who dug a whole in the penalty spot before Sharp took it is an absolute disgrace - cheating, time wasting scumbags.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Dec 2013 19:23

P!ssed Off
genome

Don't go then you entitled festering shit cunt

Yes i feel my season ticket fee plus travel costs entitles me to at least one good performance per season.
Sue me...

I think you misunderstand the function of a football ticket.

It entitles you to a 90 minute match of football, and nothing more. It does not entitle you to a good performance or 3 points.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 21 Dec 2013 19:37

genome
It entitles you to a 90 minute match of football, and nothing more. It does not entitle you to a good performance or 3 points.

:lol:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 Dec 2013 19:53

bobby1413 There were other idiots but I've forgotten what they said now - I blame the beer.

Just remembered...

Anyone who starts a sentence as "i've been supporting/following/watching RFC for X years"... is going to say something stupid.

Proved by the texter who said:

"I've been watching RFC for 35 yearsand never left early. Today I left at half time."

Good, you fan oxf*rd off you kant.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 21 Dec 2013 19:59

If they continue to play like shit, I will continue to boo.

Football changed to an entertainment industry a long time ago.
If the players want to be treated like the common man rather than 'superstars' then they should ask for a 90% wage cut.

They are paid to entertain, they should remember that.

You clearly have only been a "fan" for a few years mate. Go and support someone else as booing your team becasue you are angry is childish bollocks.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 21 Dec 2013 20:09

Haag Royal
If they continue to play like shit, I will continue to boo.

Football changed to an entertainment industry a long time ago.
If the players want to be treated like the common man rather than 'superstars' then they should ask for a 90% wage cut.

They are paid to entertain, they should remember that.

You clearly have only been a "fan" for a few years mate. Go and support someone else as booing your team becasue you are angry is childish bollocks.

I really don't think there's much wrong with booing and moaning at certain frustrating and annoying incidents, for the simple reason that they are frustrating and annoying.

What I don't agree with is singling players out for abuse, but that wasn't what happened today.

When you take a shot and it goes out for a throw in then it's understandable that fans will shout a few things out. They aren't doing it to try and motivate him to try harder next time. They are just doing it in reaction to another chance hopelessly wasted.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 21 Dec 2013 20:14

Fans have been booing for years, and Reading's are no different.

The only thing that should be keeping the players up at night is their lack of performance, not some idiots making a mildly irritating noise at them.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 21 Dec 2013 20:15

floyd__streete Totally unsurprisingly that was totally awful. I think I've enjoyed about 2 and a half games since Adkins took over.

Weirdly I found that one of the more better games - although that's not saying much.

The quality was dreadful, but particularly in the second half, you couldn't say it was dull (well maybe you could). I certainly didn't walk out feeling I'd enjoyed an entertaining match, but it was eventful. Perhaps that's just an indication of how far the bar has lowered in terms of my matchday expectations.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 21 Dec 2013 20:21

Reading player<< insert name here>> says 'We feel like we have let the supporters down. We are all disappointed in our performance. We've learnt some lessons and we need to move on.
We're really up for it and raring to go for << insert next match team here>>'.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 21 Dec 2013 20:25

For the first half hour we were dreadful! The last time Wigan came to the Mad Stad they beat us 0-3. After 12 minutes I'd have settled for that. For the last 15 mins of the first half and for most of the second half we pressed (unsurprisingly) and had the better of the play. Wigan always looked dangerous on the break though.

Best players for me were Pog and Jobi. Jobi worked hard in defence and attack and had his best game for a long while.

Also doing reasonably well were McCleary, Guthrie and Royston.

Adkins substitutions were bizarre or ambitious depending on your point of view!

Throw-Ins
I've been going on about these for weeks now. It is not the fault of the thrower that we take so long over these. It's the fact that no-one else in the side (Guthrie, Drenthe and Pog apart) make themselves available. They seem to hide from the ball. Conversely, when the opposition have a throw we make very little attempt to challenge it.

Loose Balls
I've noticed in several games recently that the opposition react far quicker to loose balls than we do. They want it more! They are more alert and hungrier. That attitude comes from the top and Adkins needs to sort it.

The Passing Game
The main evidence of us playing a passing game is between the centre backs and the goalkeeper. These are the last players in the team who should be attempting this tactic. None of them are skillful ball players. To be fair, McCarthy's kicking was better this game but my heart is in my mouth every time the ball is passed back to him! What happened to the passing side I saw in the first half against Watford? The ball was moved about quickly and accurately and we looked good - very good! Maybe we just lack the confidence? Maybe off-the-field uncertainty regarding Anton is affecting the players? I don't know.

Somewhere in this squad is a very good team but, at the moment, they are just not jelling!