Le Fondre - Come and get me plea

355 posts
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Le Fondre - Come and get me plea

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jan 2014 22:05

paultheroyal
SPARTA I don't feel a bond with any of these players. I have to be honest and say I couldn't care less who goes this month, or in the summer. I just hope we bring in some players who have the heart and energy we miss, and are used to having here. The more we see of the Jake Taylor's the better!

The"bond" comment was spoken a lot around us today. Murtt, Doyle, Kitson, Shaka etc....

Compared to a Gunter, Guthrie, Pog....just not there is it!
thirded!

and until the game starts and finishes with the likes of the second half performance against wigan and the last ten today...there never will be much interaction (nor enjoyment) at the Stad.

£MONEY$ I am sure has f11cked it up for us (as compared to the 2005/2006 team)

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 01 Jan 2014 22:07

SPARTA I don't feel a bond with any of these players. I have to be honest and say I couldn't care less who goes this month, or in the summer. I just hope we bring in some players who have the heart and energy we miss, and are used to having here. The more we see of the Jake Taylor's the better!

Sadly have to agree. It's a downside of the Faustian bargain you make when you go into the Premier League - you feel you have the sign the bigger hitters, but you soon lose the spirit that got you there. Bring back Ledge and Hunty!

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 01 Jan 2014 22:08

RoyalBlue
John Madejski's Wallet
RoyalBlue Sharp offers far more in terms of overall performance and contribution to the team than ALF and that was shown again in today's game. Look at the way that Sharp holds the ball up and brings other players into the game. Similar size to ALF but much stronger on the ball. IMO he also makes more intelligent runs and I reckon he is slightly quicker too.

Telling response from Adkins, particularly when Charles Watts reveals that Le Fondre had told him that he had been expecting new deal since last February. Could it be that ALF has been letting that get to him?

To top it all Le Fondre then comes out with the classic 'I've got a young family to provide for'! Didn't realise that we didn't pay our players if they weren't on the pitch - poor old Jason Roberts must be absolutely broke.

As someone pointed out on twitter, ALF goes out of his way to avoid giving interviews then the moment the window is open, there he' is in front of his biggest fan, Tim Dellor.

The guy clearly wants out so let's get what we can for him and sign Sharp + ANOther.

What the hell are you smoking and can I have some? Sharp looks like LeFondre, just without the pace, movement, ability to read a pass, or desire to score a goal.

Alf has a 1-in-2 ratio when starting. Adkins can do one and don't blame Alf for wanting to walk away.

John Madejski's Wallet Do we have things like goal/win bonuses anymore? Or is he due some sort of increase dependent on starts? Dunno

I'm sure that they do but regardless of that poor old ALF is still minted.

Are you Tim Dellor? Take your blinkers off and watch the two players again. Your description of Sharp is quite unbelievable. The great thing about today was that Saint ALF got brought on with plenty of the game left and contributed bugger all. Some of his fan club were celebrating the fact that he had shown Adkins to be a pratt by scoring at the death, only to look suitably sheepish when they realised it was Kelly.

As for his ratio, that is based on him starting in a team that was creating chances. If that's not happening he has relatively little to offer compared to other options (not necessarily Sharp) that are available.

ALF has now shown that he is way too much up himself. He wants away and is clearly sulking, whereas it would appear that Sharp wants to stay so best thing is to give both their wish.

Trouble is neither and getting the ball in the box because our midfielders are dire.Thats where they need it. Same for Pog. Basically we have no forwards who can hold up the ball. We have 3 that are finishers

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 01 Jan 2014 22:11

Agree with the lack of bond with any of the players, I miss Bobby Convey and Glen Little :!:

With regards to Alfie I thought Adkins response to Dellor/Adie was spot on when he said Alfie should be looking at himself and asking why he's not in the team, he doesn't bring enough to the team. If he's unhappy at the club would be better for all parties to get rid ASAP.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Jan 2014 22:11

Alfie I'm paid to play football and I'm not doing that.

Wrong Alfie.

You're paid to be part of the club and do what's asked of you for the benefit of the club, be it play football, sit on the bench, or train... crucially train in the way Adkins asks you to train. I wonder if that's what the issue is after today's comment.s

He may WANT to play football but that's a different matter.

Most of us want him to play too but Adkins' response was quite interesting. When asked why he's not starting Alfie Adkins said something like "Yeah, he needs to think about the reasons why and reflect on it" !!! :shock:

It's been said that Alfie is a bit of a goal hanger who does bugger all but gets the goal. Pure and utter speculation but reading into the above comment I suspect Adkins may well have told Alfie to get involved in the game more rather than just hang around for a finish and is a little hacked off that he's refusing to listen to him.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jan 2014 22:17

^ think "Brother Guthrie" must have been advising him

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Jan 2014 22:49

AthleticoSpizz
paultheroyal

The"bond" comment was spoken a lot around us today. Murtt, Doyle, Kitson, Shaka etc....

Compared to a Gunter, Guthrie, Pog....just not there is it!
thirded!

and until the game starts and finishes with the likes of the second half performance against wigan and the last ten today...there never will be much interaction (nor enjoyment) at the Stad.

£MONEY$ I am sure has f11cked it up for us (as compared to the 2005/2006 team)

Although I agree in general, the likes of Murty and Little took quite a while to win over fans and create that bond.

If you took the likes of Karacan, Pearce, McCarthy, and Federici, not to mention those others with previous connection like McAnuff, Roberts and Legiertwood then you have a different perspective.

A bond is, like team spirit, a bit of a false relationship that exists when a team is winning.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jan 2014 22:55

Fair does Hoop

This line up seems a bit more long-term insular though.

They seem pretty good at high five-ing eachother when they have just conceded yet another goal...and they seem good at consoling eachother after missed penalties etc

Maybe the distribution of shirts to the supporters today is a bit of a positive watershead...but up and until now, they have done very little to connect with their paymasters (us) the fans

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Jan 2014 22:59

Agreed, and a run of good, high intensity, energetic performances and some wins with a consistent line up would do the bond a world of good!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Jan 2014 23:07

Apart from our Baltic Baresi of course

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 01 Jan 2014 23:36

C ya l8r a1f1e9 :)

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 02 Jan 2014 07:43

Za Vas wrote: With regards to Alfie I thought Adkins response to Dellor/Adie was spot on when he said Alfie should be looking at himself and asking why he's not in the team, he doesn't bring enough to the team.

Dellor and Adie missed a trick to open up Adkins to find the underlying reasons why he should look at himself, pity!!

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 02 Jan 2014 09:26

Sharpe is just a fat Le Fondre. Would shrug my shoulders and walk on if both of them leave.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 02 Jan 2014 09:52

Elm Park Old Boy

Sadly have to agree. It's a downside of the Faustian bargain you make when you go into the Premier League - you feel you have the sign the bigger hitters, but you soon lose the spirit that got you there. Bring back Ledge and Hunty!

Interesting observation and I note on other threads that Guthrie is being blamed by some contributors again, I wonder if a power struggle between the former manager and Guthrie, culminating in the refusal to travel fiasco was part of a sea change within the club?
I can't imagine any fan, or former fan's favourite from our salad days ever having the arrogance to place themselves above the club!
Personally I feel more detached from the club than ever before and it coincides, (rightly or wrongly) for me at least, with the arrival of Guthrie and the departure of BM.
There is certainly an unwarranted aire of 'Billy Big Bollocks' in some players and a lack of cohesive team application in others these days IMHO!

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Jan 2014 10:17

I never like it when players make this sort of public announcement as to their dis-satisfaction at what they see as not getting what they want; frankly, as a Season Ticket holder I only want players 100% committed to the club to be here and as such my view would be thanks for everything ALF, and goodbye. I trust Hammond will get the best deal possible for him by the end of Jan.

As for feeling disconnected with the team, I feel the same as a few others in this thread; namely that I don't feel any sort of bond to the players or the team. For me, its as bad as the dark, dark days of Tommy Burns, and I suspect a lot of that is to do with the fact that our performances have been dull, boring and utterly uninspiring.

I'm sure many will argue that that is solely down to the Manager, that the crippling injury list is to blame, or that the on-going uncertainty about the short/medium term ownership of the club is having an effect but frankly, that's all rubbish - the 11 who cross the white lines have to perform and they are simply bottling it at this time.

Someone at the club needs to show some genuine leadership both on and off the pitch, because unless there is genuine change for the better, I can foresee a lot of people turning their backs on Reading FC come the end of the Season.................

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 02 Jan 2014 10:17

Quite clear he is likely to leave (he wants to move back up north), although would like to hang on to him until end of season.

Can't see us signing another striker if he does go!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jan 2014 11:17

Le Fondre and Sharp. To be honest not hugely bothered if either way if stay or leave.

Le Fondre has never been a regular starter, McDermott and Adkins can't both be wrong. i can understand ALF not starting under McDermott, his style was all about high intensity and work rate with ALF coming on late against tiring defences. I would have thought that Adkins style would suit Le Fondre more but still, you need to have more to your game than just goalscoring to be effective.

There seems to be a lot of talk here about a lack of spirit or a connection with the fans. I don't want to turn this into a could have, should have argument but we lost a lot of that when Noel Hunt left. From a footballing perspective I can understand entirely the club's decision to only offer Hunt a 1 year deal but to me he was everything Le Fondre isn't. He wasn't a great goalscorer but he would chase down lost causes, he would harrass defenders, he would stick his head in knowing he would get hurt but was prepared to take one for the team, he ran himself into the ground every game, made time and space for others to capitalise and he absolutely wrung every last ounce of ability out of himself. Off the field, he seemed to be a leader of the squad, the joker, the cheerleader and the first to get involved in community work and meeting the fans. Above all, he seemed to know how lucky he was to be a professional footballer and was wanted to make the most of every minute of it.

That's the sort of forward we need in the squad and I don't think either Le Fondre or Sharp is that player.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 02 Jan 2014 11:33

Mr Angry I never like it when players make this sort of public announcement as to their dis-satisfaction at what they see as not getting what they want; frankly, as a Season Ticket holder I only want players 100% committed to the club to be here and as such my view would be thanks for everything ALF, and goodbye. I trust Hammond will get the best deal possible for him by the end of Jan.

As for feeling disconnected with the team, I feel the same as a few others in this thread; namely that I don't feel any sort of bond to the players or the team. For me, its as bad as the dark, dark days of Tommy Burns, and I suspect a lot of that is to do with the fact that our performances have been dull, boring and utterly uninspiring.

I'm sure many will argue that that is solely down to the Manager, that the crippling injury list is to blame, or that the on-going uncertainty about the short/medium term ownership of the club is having an effect but frankly, that's all rubbish - the 11 who cross the white lines have to perform and they are simply bottling it at this time.

Someone at the club needs to show some genuine leadership both on and off the pitch, because unless there is genuine change for the better, I can foresee a lot of people turning their backs on Reading FC come the end of the Season.................

M8, a lot of us did last season (this is my first year without a ST since 2001) and I don't miss it one jot.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 02 Jan 2014 11:50

The very fact that a number of people are feeling disconnected is a disturbing situation, perception is everything afterall and clearly these are heart felt concerns, previous comments about the positive influence of players like Noel Hunt and Shane Long highlight the differences. I would add to that, the suggestions of Parky for manager, (ridiculed by some posters) "acheived nothing, cart horse" etc, but missing the point entirely. People like Parky embody the very spirit of connection and single purpose determination, in spite of not being the most technically gifted, its our balance which is at fault, the necessity for teamwork, making the collective effort greater than the sum of its parts!

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 02 Jan 2014 12:25

loyalroyal4life Quite clear he is likely to leave (he wants to move back up north), although would like to hang on to him until end of season.

Can't see us signing another striker if he does go!

So you think we'll be content with Pog and Blackman, a winger?

355 posts