Obita Transfer to Left Back?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

Obita Transfer to Left Back?

by P!ssed Off » 11 Jan 2014 21:16

Could this be a permanent move?
Looked today as if we'd signed a quality left back during the week.
Intelligent defending, seemed to have their winger in his pocket for most of the game, shepherding the ball to safety on numerous occasions.
I'm fairly sure it was him that made an exquisite slide tackle in the 2nd half. Winning us the ball back when we were under a fair bit of pressure.

Can play the ball on the floor nicely, but also knows when to, and has the quality to, deliver a decent long ball on occasion.
Overlapped very nicely to get forward, giving us that extra winger when in attack. But has the pace to get back quickly if needs be.
Can deliver a great set-piece, as seen today with his assist. Left footed set-piece option. His set-pieces are obviously not related to what position he plays but he obviously needs to be on the pitch to take them.

When Bridge is injured he has to be our LB. No doubt about it. But as Bridge is getting on is Obita our future left back?
He might not want to play there forever, but surely if he was offered the regular left back slot say from the Summer (when Bridge will turn 34), he'd take 46 games per season rather than midfield rotation player. At such a young age, game time is more important than being choosey about position,surely?

tbh I'm unsure if I see him as a star winger of the future. He just doesn't seem to have the creativity/flair needed.
Likewise I'm unsure of him as a CM.

Also bear in mind that we appear to have an absolute abundance of promising CMs in our youth teams as well as more attacking midfield players like Tanner and Taylor.

Thoughts?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Obita Transfer to Left Back?

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2014 21:27

To be honest, given our current LB situation and our numerous winger options, I think he's a great option for left back unless we can find a good new candidate to bring in.

He's got quality about him for sure. I think he could make it as a winger, but he's not quite there yet. Playing as a full back could really help him develop nicely. Gives you the opportunity to overlap and still be creative, teaches defensive qualities few wingers have. He could learn a lot with an experienced player like McAnuff ahead of him as well. And he'll get plenty of cover from him.

He's said he'd like to play in central midfield and get on the ball more. Again, I don't think he's quite ready for that yet. A little lightweight and inexperienced. But playing at fullback regularly could also help him develop to the point where he can make that move more easily.

I like Obita. He's one of the big positives of this season. My only concern is he doesn't seem quite ready to make either of his seeming preferred positions his own. Mind you, time is definitely on his side.

Dave - running the risk of taking you seriously for a moment, Cummings is a decent right back. He's no way a left back, although he's had some ok performances there. Obita's had at least two good performances in a defensive position now.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Jan 2014 21:30

Fantastic today. Looked completely at home there, offered width, linked well with Jobi, and was surprisingly solid defensively. Agreed with all your reasons for it suiting him, and also agree that it helps overcome his limitations as a winger whilst showing off the attributes that make him such a prospect.

Presumably the training staff have been working hard on his positional play to prepare him for today, so kudos to them. Certainly think it's his best position for now, how keen he is to play there might be another matter....

1871 not 1998

by 1871 not 1998 » 11 Jan 2014 21:31

Best delivery in the team as well by a long way.

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 11 Jan 2014 21:32

What did he do wrong- not much IMHO Might need some coaching on back post headers.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 11 Jan 2014 21:34

P!ssed Off Could this be a permanent move?
Looked today as if we'd signed a quality left back during the week.
Intelligent defending, seemed to have their winger in his pocket for most of the game, shepherding the ball to safety on numerous occasions.
I'm fairly sure it was him that made an exquisite slide tackle in the 2nd half. Winning us the ball back when we were under a fair bit of pressure.

Can play the ball on the floor nicely, but also knows when to, and has the quality to, deliver a decent long ball on occasion.
Overlapped very nicely to get forward, giving us that extra winger when in attack. But has the pace to get back quickly if needs be.
Can deliver a great set-piece, as seen today with his assist. Left footed set-piece option. His set-pieces are obviously not related to what position he plays but he obviously needs to be on the pitch to take them.

When Bridge is injured he has to be our LB. No doubt about it. But as Bridge is getting on is Obita our future left back?
He might not want to play there forever, but surely if he was offered the regular left back slot say from the Summer (when Bridge will turn 34), he'd take 46 games per season rather than midfield rotation player. At such a young age, game time is more important than being choosey about position,surely?

tbh I'm unsure if I see him as a star winger of the future. He just doesn't seem to have the creativity/flair needed.
Likewise I'm unsure of him as a CM.

Also bear in mind that we appear to have an absolute abundance of promising CMs in our youth teams as well as more attacking midfield players like Tanner and Taylor.

Thoughts?

Hmmmmmm..a good question. Temporary, ideal. But he's only had one game there so far, and a damn fine job he did at that. Long term, no, let's get a prolific LB in as first choice or cover.

I'm just pleased to see some of our youngsters getting a chance and doing ok.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Jan 2014 21:37

It'd be like a new signing.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 11 Jan 2014 21:41

Apart from he is our best left winger

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Jan 2014 21:46

Don't rate him as a winger but based on today we might of found a new left back. Long may it continue.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2014 21:52

Dave-Royal winchester_royal

NO WAY WE ARE AT OF THE WOODS YET, ONE WIN IN 8 GAMES STILL POOR BUT WE WON..... WE WAS LUCKY TODAY, WATFORD WAS POOR....

1. Watford - W
2. Brighton - L (cup)
3. Forest - D
4. M'bro - L
5. Leicester - L
6. Wigan - L
7. Huddersfield - W
8. Bournemouth - L

hmmm.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 11 Jan 2014 22:13

Ian Royal To be honest, given our current LB situation and our numerous winger options, I think he's a great option for left back unless we can find a good new candidate to bring in.

He's got quality about him for sure. I think he could make it as a winger, but he's not quite there yet. Playing as a full back could really help him develop nicely. Gives you the opportunity to overlap and still be creative, teaches defensive qualities few wingers have. He could learn a lot with an experienced player like McAnuff ahead of him as well. And he'll get plenty of cover from him.

He's said he'd like to play in central midfield and get on the ball more. Again, I don't think he's quite ready for that yet. A little lightweight and inexperienced. But playing at fullback regularly could also help him develop to the point where he can make that move more easily.

I like Obita. He's one of the big positives of this season. My only concern is he doesn't seem quite ready to make either of his seeming preferred positions his own. Mind you, time is definitely on his side.

Dave - running the risk of taking you seriously for a moment, Cummings is a decent right back. He's no way a left back, although he's had some ok performances there. Obita's had at least two good performances in a defensive position now.

Agree with all of this.

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 11 Jan 2014 22:40

NO WAY WE ARE AT OF THE WOODS YET, ONE WIN IN 8 GAMES STILL POOR BUT WE WON..... WE WAS LUCKY TODAY, WATFORD WAS POOR....

This has to be a wind up, right?

JordCot

by JordCot » 11 Jan 2014 23:01

#BerkshireAlaba

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Jan 2014 23:04

They was, weren't they?
Last edited by sandman on 11 Jan 2014 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 11 Jan 2014 23:07

Dave-Royal Obita Not a Left Back !!!! He a Winger..... I don't no what Adkins Playing at? we won today at Watford yes. But Cummings is Left Back... why start obita at back... I don't think it be a permanent move no way

Cummings is right back.

Obita is the man.

Struggle Pig

by Struggle Pig » 12 Jan 2014 00:25

Obita won't last at left back, but it sure as he'll won't do him any harm. Gareth Bale started at LB. I by no means think Obita will be the next Gareth Bales, but game time will do him the world of good and I do think he will be a great player for us. Just needs time and he proved today what a good job he can do for us.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 12 Jan 2014 03:30

Once again, I told you all once we shifted Cummings we'd win. Sorry Atheleticospaz, sandman and co, I'm right yet again.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 12 Jan 2014 05:27

This is very positive news.

Reports have said that he shows some promise as a winger, is good at delivering the ball from set pieces/can make good crosses, and now he is showing he can do the job when asked to be part of the back 4. The corner he took led to our goal and we had a clean sheet. How good a pro he ends up being is still unclear, but he could end up being a very good one with a long career. He has more physical development to do and must get used to playing the game at a quicker pace/higher intensity. But the more time he, and the other academy players, can get on the pitch the better for his/their progression. And by showing he can do the job at LB, though I think he is and will always be a winger primarily, will do nothing but increase his playing time.

8)

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 12 Jan 2014 08:51

Royalee Once again, I told you all once we shifted Cummings we'd win. Sorry Atheleticospaz, sandman and co, I'm right yet again.

:roll:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Jan 2014 09:23

Royalee McCarthy

McAnuff
Pearce
Hector
Gunter

Blackman
Williams
Drenthe
Guthrie
McCleary

Pogrebnyak

Subs:
Federici
Kelly
Gorkss
Akpan
Taylor
Obita
Le Fondre

Yes Lee, judging by your above team selection on the "team for Watford" thread clearly you were "right". I believe that on the same thread you also laughed at my inclusion of yesterday's goal scorer.