Back From The Game - Bolton

359 posts
Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back From The Game - Bolton

by Royal Ginger » 19 Jan 2014 00:25

Expert punditry that amounted to: "Le Fondre was good", "Yes, he's a goalscorer".

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 19 Jan 2014 00:37

Royal Ginger Obita was great, yes, but he wasn't tested defensively today. Very positive early signals, but I'm reserving judgement.

he was tested last week at watford and met the test extremely well

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Jan 2014 02:23

RoyalBlue
Muskrat Great result and performance today. Fairly obvious what has happened, as NA himself has alluded to after the poor performances and results in the first half of the season, he's had to bow to player pressure and abandon his slow keep ball style and revert to the formation and method of playing which brings results in this division - the 4-4-2 with a solid midfield pairing, good wing play and strikers playing off each other.

Shame it's taken him over half a season when we all knew it from the start though...

Absolute nonsense about him having to bow to player pressure. For those watching with their eyes open there was still a lot of passing from us, including several phases of numerous effective short passes. It was just that it was done at a higher tempo (something I'm sure Adkins has always wanted) and in the opponents's half. At least one of the players also clearly stated in the post match interview how Adkins had told the players how he wanted a much higher work rate from them (we have certainly seen that in the past two games) and for the to press the opposition more.

so it took half a season to ask the team to do the very basics. :lol:

Very near...far away

by Very near...far away » 19 Jan 2014 03:15

Honestly, I don't believe the game could have been very good - it didn't even get two minutes on the Football League Show. That Steve Claridge knows his onions. How else does he get paid for stating the bleedin' obvious.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Jan 2014 04:12

RoyalBlue
soggy biscuit Williams MOTM

Guthrie's slow motion play and his Hollywood balls into row Z not being there made a massive difference

Whether or not the team is better off without Guthrie, that is an idiotic, ignorant and factually incorrect comment!

Agreed. Most if the balls he hits out of play go around rows c to f

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 19 Jan 2014 04:52

The BBC are run by a bunch of clueless t**ts - why wasn't the Royals on longer and virtually no commentary afterwards

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 19 Jan 2014 04:53

Very near...far away Honestly, I don't believe the game could have been very good - it didn't even get two minutes on the Football League Show. That Steve Claridge knows his onions. How else does he get paid for stating the bleedin' obvious.

Claridge is a clueless t**t - 2nd worst pundit after Michael owen

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 19 Jan 2014 04:54

ZacNaloen Solid win. Not a bad performance today.

true, I think Bolton helped though as they were dreadful

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 19 Jan 2014 05:59

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 19 Jan 2014 06:33

royalsteve
ZacNaloen Solid win. Not a bad performance today.

true, I think Bolton helped though as they were dreadful

Yep when we win the other team are always dreadful , coincidence?

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 19 Jan 2014 07:38

I hope that some of our prospective new owners were in attendance yesterday to see what a fine display it was and convince them to hasten their purchase.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 19 Jan 2014 08:35

royalsteve
Very near...far away Honestly, I don't believe the game could have been very good - it didn't even get two minutes on the Football League Show. That Steve Claridge knows his onions. How else does he get paid for stating the bleedin' obvious.

He's ex-Aldershot and openly dislikes Reading.

As a pundit, file alongside Don Goodman.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Jan 2014 08:40

Avon Royal
royalsteve

He's ex-Aldershot and openly dislikes Reading.

As a pundit, file alongside Don Goodman.

I'm no longer surprised at the complete lack of understanding of the laws of the game by the ex-players

No longer surprised because most of the them didn't know e laws when they were playing

Oh, and by the way, our pen was more of a pen than the Liverpool one - and our's probably wasn't a pen

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 19 Jan 2014 09:11

windermere_royal Yep when we win the other team are always dreadful , coincidence?

I get the point you're making, but no team get's spanked 7-1 without being dreadful. On this occasion Bolton would have got dicked in the Skrill leagues playing like that.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 19 Jan 2014 09:27

P!ssed Off
sandman You're more likely to stay in the PL by signing quality players and using the money you're given. Style of play doesn't matter and quite frankly the PL is not a great league for passing football bar a few exceptions.

Oh and on that "scale" McD was also a 6 mixing short passing and longer passing with pace and wing play. It only went longer when confidence was down.

Don't think so.
We got a large proportion of our goals in the promotion season through counter attacking and set pieces. We rarely dominated games. A CB got PoTS, with GK in 3rd place, which says it all really.

I'm not sure player of the season awards always clearly represent the way a season has played out anyway. Dylan Kerr won it in 94 and as good as he was that year the goals from Quinn and Lovell and goal keeping of Shaka probably made more an impact. I'm not decrying Dylan's performances either, every player obviously has a role to play.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 19 Jan 2014 09:32

peterroyal76
P!ssed Off
sandman You're more likely to stay in the PL by signing quality players and using the money you're given. Style of play doesn't matter and quite frankly the PL is not a great league for passing football bar a few exceptions.

Oh and on that "scale" McD was also a 6 mixing short passing and longer passing with pace and wing play. It only went longer when confidence was down.

Don't think so.
We got a large proportion of our goals in the promotion season through counter attacking and set pieces. We rarely dominated games. A CB got PoTS, with GK in 3rd place, which says it all really.

I'm not sure player of the season awards always clearly represent the way a season has played out anyway. Dylan Kerr won it in 94 and as good as he was that year the goals from Quinn and Lovell and goal keeping of Shaka probably made more an impact. I'm not decrying Dylan's performances either, every player obviously has a role to play.

Yeah, but who would you rather go to the pub with? I reckon Dylan Kerr would be a great laugh and get absolutely smashed! Shaka and Quinn are too serious.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 19 Jan 2014 09:55

I'd be concerned that with all the time he spent in the Yorkshire and Scotland he might not get round in.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 Jan 2014 10:13

royalsteve The BBC are run by a bunch of clueless t**ts - why wasn't the Royals on longer and virtually no commentary afterwards

I used to think the same when I was a kid - wondering why Match of the day would show highlights of three mundane games when there'd been a 4-4 draw the same day. Then someone pointed out that they have to send commentary teams to the matches before they know the score, not after.

the taphouse

by the taphouse » 19 Jan 2014 10:24

tmesis
royalsteve The BBC are run by a bunch of clueless t**ts - why wasn't the Royals on longer and virtually no commentary afterwards

I used to think the same when I was a kid - wondering why Match of the day would show highlights of three mundane games when there'd been a 4-4 draw the same day. Then someone pointed out that they have to send commentary teams to the matches before they know the score, not after.

:lol:

McClearyChops

by McClearyChops » 19 Jan 2014 11:22

Does anyone have a link for the NA interview after the game with BBC Berkshire or is it not up yet ?

359 posts