Millwall (a) Match Thread Sponsored by Jugular brand blades

162 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Millwall (a) Match Thread Sponsored by Jugular brand bla

by genome » 01 Feb 2014 17:25

Those two games in hand are quite big for Forest. They'd be right up there if they won them. If we beat QPR it could be a five-horse race for 2nd!

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Feb 2014 17:29

genome Those two games in hand are quite big for Forest. They'd be right up there if they won them. If we beat QPR it could be a five-horse race for 2nd!

They have Yeovil tomorrow so could be a bit of a goal fest. I just looked at QPR's run in & it's very similar to ours - not too many toughies in there.

We would have to go some to get 2nd but never say never....

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 01 Feb 2014 17:34

It could be six points between us by the time we play at their place. They are away to Derby on the Monday which they could easily lose and hopefully we will tear Wednesday a new one at home at the weekend in return for earlier in the season.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 01 Feb 2014 17:35

Positives yes, but Watford, Bolton, Blackpool and Millwall are 4 of the worst teams in the league at the moment. 3 of them are completely freefalling. Only team we've played with anything about them recently are Ipswich. Playing better, yes, confidence up, big yes, but the jury's out for me until we take a bigger scalp or two with this re-juvinated team.
Last edited by Royal Ginger on 01 Feb 2014 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 01 Feb 2014 17:35

Interesting how a lot of people said that Adkins took a while to get team started at Southampton - when eventually he did, the crowd really loved him. Am wondering whether he's managing to do that with us now ....

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Feb 2014 17:37

Mr Optimist It could be six points between us by the time we play at their place. They are away to Derby on the Monday which they could easily lose and hopefully we will tear Wednesday a new one at home at the weekend in return for earlier in the season.

I think it's only right we dish out a revenge hiding to Wednesday. I want 8 goals minimum or Adkins can do one.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Feb 2014 17:40

Royal Ginger Positives yes, but Watford, Bolton, Blackpool and Millwall are 4 of the worst teams in the league at the moment. 3 of them are completely freefalling. Only team we've played with anything about them recently are Ipswich. Playing better, yes, confidence up, big yes, but the jury's out for me until we take a bigger scalp or two with this re-juvinated team.

We don't need to take many big scalps though. If we win the games we should win (on paper) we'd get another 12 wins.

I know it's not played on paper but a lot of the hard games ae already done.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 01 Feb 2014 17:43

MmmMonsterMunch
Mr Optimist It could be six points between us by the time we play at their place. They are away to Derby on the Monday which they could easily lose and hopefully we will tear Wednesday a new one at home at the weekend in return for earlier in the season.

I think it's only right we dish out a revenge hiding to Wednesday. I want 8 goals minimum or Adkins can do one.

I love the 'minimum'! :D

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 Feb 2014 17:44

Just checked the championship table from Feb 1st, 2012 - we were in 8th place and 6 points off second place - so still a chance particularly if QPR lose next week at Derby.

RedRum

by RedRum » 01 Feb 2014 18:00

Not to be negative - but we're talking like QPR are the only other team in competition for 2nd.

We've still got 3 places and 6 points to climb first... and I don't fancy Forest to lose those 2 games in hand either. Looking like its going to be a tight finish

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Feb 2014 18:07

Obviously the odds are against us finishing in the top two, and I'd kinda rather we didn't, but we're by no means out of the race either.

Ideal world we tick along nicely, finish 4th or 5th and narrowly lose across the PO semis. Takeover goes through, keep our best players, release some deadwood, bring in a bit more quality and romp the league next year.

I think actually we're stronger than 2012 now. If more fragile. The front two are better, but we've got virtually nothing else upfront. The wings are as good. Midfield is better balanced and will have more depth when injuries clear. Defence is a little weaker and we're better at 'keeper. Doubt we'll pull off the same sort of run as I'm not sure we've got quite the same spirit, organisation and sheer bloodyminded determination.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 01 Feb 2014 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

RedRum

by RedRum » 01 Feb 2014 18:09

Ian Royal Obviously the odds are against us finishing in the top two, and I'd kinda rather we didn't, but we're by no means out of the race either.

Ideal world we tick along nicely, finish 4th or 5th and narrowly lose across the PO semis. Takeover goes through, keep our best players, release some deadwood, bring in a bit more quality and romp the league next year.

I know your exaggerating but it's never really that simple is it!

Anyway on a positive note, we finished the game with 5 academy graduates again.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 01 Feb 2014 18:11

Ian Royal Obviously the odds are against us finishing in the top two, and I'd kinda rather we didn't, but we're by no means out of the race either.

:|

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Feb 2014 18:11

I agree to a point but romping most of the remaining games & storming into the top 2, beating QPR & Leicester en route would be pretty fcuking cool.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 01 Feb 2014 18:21

On the train now.
Top day out. Fantastic atmosphere.

First 20 mins they were on top having lots of chances. Last 20 minutes we absolutely smashed them; had loads of chnaces but a couple were offside so stats might not show how good we were.

For the middle 50 minutes there wasn't much going on tbf. Few chances for either side, but we were in control and scored the fairly fortunate opener.

Pog and Williams joint motm, but everyone was decent. Taylor looked good in what was, minutes wise, his 1st league start for Reading.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 01 Feb 2014 18:33

genome Agreed, I think the top two is out of our reach, Adkins had said as much. Then again, stranger things have happened, we were 8th at this point in 2011/12, and the gap was 8 points to 1st.

The title is pretty much Leicester's, but there is a 9 point gap currently to QPR, and we play them.

7th actually with a game in hand on the team in 2nd, rather than the situation now where they have a game in hand on us

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 01 Feb 2014 18:36

SydenhamRoyal
genome Agreed, I think the top two is out of our reach, Adkins had said as much. Then again, stranger things have happened, we were 8th at this point in 2011/12, and the gap was 8 points to 1st.

The title is pretty much Leicester's, but there is a 9 point gap currently to QPR, and we play them.

7th actually with a game in hand on the team in 2nd, rather than the situation now where they have a game in hand on us

Still pessimistic I see!

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 01 Feb 2014 18:41

WoodleyRoyal

:|

Not sure why the :|

I know we'd all love promotion but I think Adkins needs another year in the Championship developing his team. Sadly promotion would lead to inevitable struggles and calls for the manager's head.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 01 Feb 2014 19:10

To be honest, It's just nice to look forward to games again.

I think playoffs are the realistic objective but I'm not fussed whether we go up or not this season. The team is now looking more settled both tactically and personnel wise and I think that as long as the ownership issue is settled by June, we will have a pretty solid platform for next season.

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 01 Feb 2014 19:28

Last year, when being interviewed after bad results, a couple of RFC players mentioned that Reading always go on a run after Xmas. I wonder if there is a phsycological aspect to this. Suddenly we are scoring for fun and the results are coming. Maybe we expect to do well in the run up and the Players buy into that. Whatever the reason, I really want to see us lose the inconsistency and really get a run going. Other contributors are right - this is not over until the Fat Lady (Allardyce in drag?) sings!

162 posts