BFTG - Millwall (a)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

BFTG - Millwall (a)

by winchester_royal » 01 Feb 2014 18:52

A really good win. Very scrappy first half in which we struggled to control the game as the Millwall players were running about like mentallists to put 5 men on whichever of our players had the ball. Obviously they couldn't keep this up for 90 mins and once we got the first from a Bywater error they noticeably dropped off and we looked a threat every time we came forward. Second half produced some excellent stuff and we could have had 5 by the end. It was a scrap, the pitch was bobbly and the Millwall players were predictably fired up, but we came through it comfortably in the end with a committed performance that didn't lack quality.

McCarthy - One excellent save early on but wasn't otherwise stretched. Dominant at corners. Distribution poor though. 7
Gunter - Mr Consistent. Wonderfully understated performance. 8
Pearce - Still looks dodgy with the ball at his feet, and a few too many aimless hoots, but outstanding defensively and his celebration after the goal is one that I will savour. He loves this club and I love him. 8
Gorkss - His renaissance continues. Excellent. 8
Obita - This was perhaps his first real defensive test, with Feeney getting the ball in space wide and often, but he came through it pretty much unscathed and once again offered width and adventure down the left. Took a real thump for his troubles in the build up to the third but looked to be okay. 8
McCleary - Like most of the attacking players he struggled to get into the game in the first 30 mins but once he got going he always looked threatening. Lacked end product today though. 7
Akpan - Seemed to be going along quite nicely before coming off. Shame. 6
Williams - Seems to be able to run the middle of the pitch by himself. He was everywhere, both in defense and attack, and definitely deserved his goal. 9
McAnuff - A real captain's performance. Picked the team up after a difficult first 10 and was a constant outlet on the left. As good as I've seen him in a while. 8.5
Pog - His battle with Shittu was perhaps my highlight of the game. Neither of them gave an inch all game. Pog arguably came out on top in the end though, and his work in holding the ball up was crucial to the win, as well as his opportunistic goal.
Alf - A tad ineffectual up top, but worked hard and even managed to win a couple of aerial battles with Shittu. 7

Taylor - Did well stepping in for Akpan. Didn't really stand out, perhaps a little overshadowed by Williams' performance, but did what he had to do effectively enough. 7
Hal and Nick - Both looked sharp when they came on, without really doing much. 6

Fans - looked like a decent turnout from where I was stood. Loud enough, especially compared to the massively disappointing Millwall fans, but sadly there were a few fisticuffs towards the end of the first half which resulted in one fella catching a nasty right hook on the mouth. Blood and police everywhere. Tut tut.

Anyway, a performance that probably won't still be being talked about in a year's time, but in its own way every bit as impressive as the last couple of home games. It's on.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

Re: BFTG - Millwall (a)

by LWJ » 01 Feb 2014 19:12

winchester_royal Fans - looked like a decent turnout from where I was stood. Loud enough, especially compared to the massively disappointing Millwall fans, but sadly there were a few fisticuffs towards the end of the first half which resulted in one fella catching a nasty right hook on the mouth. Blood and police everywhere. Tut tut.

Lol. Where was this? The right side?

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 01 Feb 2014 19:31

winchester_royal A really good win. Very scrappy first half in which we struggled to control the game as the Millwall players were running about like mentallists to put 5 men on whichever of our players had the ball. Obviously they couldn't keep this up for 90 mins and once we got the first from a Bywater error they noticeably dropped off and we looked a threat every time we came forward. Second half produced some excellent stuff and we could have had 5 by the end. It was a scrap, the pitch was bobbly and the Millwall players were predictably fired up, but we came through it comfortably in the end with a committed performance that didn't lack quality.

No score for Pog?

Surprised with your Gorkks score based on the radio commentary - sounded like he made a few howlers on clearances, but if you were there watching it then who am I to complain. 3-0 away from home is just what we need.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Feb 2014 19:34

LWJ
winchester_royal Fans - looked like a decent turnout from where I was stood. Loud enough, especially compared to the massively disappointing Millwall fans, but sadly there were a few fisticuffs towards the end of the first half which resulted in one fella catching a nasty right hook on the mouth. Blood and police everywhere. Tut tut.

Not sure I buy this...

I was there, albeit on the left side but I barely saw any Police or problems, nothing.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 01 Feb 2014 19:37

bobby1413
LWJ

Not sure I buy this...

I was there, albeit on the left side but I barely saw any Police or problems, nothing.

Yep, left side was a good natured affair. Not sure why winch would make it up though :?

royalgrumpy

by royalgrumpy » 01 Feb 2014 19:37

Re: the 'fight'. A fan broke his ankle after falling after being punched. Not sure what it was about?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Feb 2014 19:40

P!ssed Off Yep, left side was a good natured affair. Not sure why winch would make it up though :?

Don't think he would make it up... but police everywhere? Rubbish, I barely saw any at the game in the concourse.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 01 Feb 2014 19:43

bobby1413
P!ssed Off Yep, left side was a good natured affair. Not sure why winch would make it up though :?

Don't think he would make it up... but police everywhere? Rubbish, I barely saw any at the game in the concourse.

Stewards being a bit ott around about the 85th minute when about 8 of them went all the way up the stairs to tell 2 or 3 fans to move off the stairs.
Nothing going on apart from that where I was.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Feb 2014 19:45

Went to the Market Porter pub first... pretty average and not really that great.

Walked around for a while and then went to the Barrowboy and Banker - that was good. Decent atmosphere. Football on the TV, LOVELY bar maids - perfect.

Atmosphere at the game was great, think it's been the best for a while. I don't know how many there were, but it seemed really lively. I feel positive now, not just because fo the result, but because the team are gelling.

Excellent day out, great away day and Millwall away (my 4th visit) has gone up a lot of places in my books.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Feb 2014 19:46

P!ssed Off
bobby1413

Stewards being a bit ott around about the 85th minute when about 8 of them went all the way up the stairs to tell 2 or 3 fans to move off the stairs.

You may have been near me, on the left? I saw them doing that, they went away quickly and overall they were alright.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 01 Feb 2014 19:48

bobby1413
P!ssed Off
bobby1413

You may have been near me, on the left? I saw them doing that, they went away quickly and overall they were alright.

Yeah, about 5 rows from the back.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 01 Feb 2014 20:01

Top day out. A few beers in the Market Porter, some more in the Kings Head, then rolled up for the game.

Looking at the scoreline you'd think we dominated but it was a battle with very little skill and a lot of hoofball. We didn't play well but we competed, we took our chances whereas they ran around a lot and had none.

Cracking day out, decent support and everyone stood all game. I love London games.

boycey

by boycey » 01 Feb 2014 20:06

reading fans having a scrap in the north upper, belting each other around the head. i wonder what the headlines will be tomorrow. i wonder if reading will be screamed at to "control their fans".

Read more: http://www.millwall.vitalfootball.co.uk ... z2s6QckywF

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Feb 2014 20:08

Would say Pog was man of the match for me - never stopped running around and trying. First half was a bit "meh" but once Millwall gave up after the second, it was a one-way street really - we didn't play particularly well and Millwall were absolutely rubbish tbf - as were their fans.

Was too bloody cold for me though :cry:

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 01 Feb 2014 20:09

Class day out, Shipwright was a nice enough pub, but loved Market Porter.

Close opening, then we started to control after Pog's goal, most people looked pretty good out there, Blackman struggled when he came on though. Absolutely loved that, finally a controlling away win.

Great support, all stood, ended up in the row below in the third goal celebrations, class day!

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Feb 2014 20:17

Reading fan hits another :shock:

1200 approx in numbers, not bad!!

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 01 Feb 2014 20:18

Royal Lady

But you were wearing sunnies..... allegedly :roll:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Feb 2014 20:20

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Royal Lady

But you were wearing sunnies..... allegedly :roll:

It was sunny when I started out but by the time I got to the ground it was cloudy and windy and bloody cold. HTH. :wink:

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 01 Feb 2014 20:39

Good result and up until the first I didn't think we looked that great tbh.

MOTM for me was either Williams or Pog. McCarthy made a few game changing saves as well.

Missed all of the goals thanks to jr lying that he needed a piss for the first two, literally 1 minute before the ball hit the net both times. The last one was just after we'd evacuated pre possible meltdown.

Was in the left at the front and saw no trouble at all.

Loved the away fans' armoured walkway from the station to the ground.

EarleyRoyal16

by EarleyRoyal16 » 01 Feb 2014 20:43

Heard an argument in the concourse at half time about a fight but didn't see any actual fight. Hmm.

To the game: Great display. Millwall probably better team in the first 30 minutes or so, then Bywater's error gifted us the lead and we really controlled the rest of the game.

Not Pearcey's biggest fan but love when he scores purely cause of his celebrations!

Danny Williams is the love of my life. Really deserved his goal today, my MOTM.