BFTG QPR

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG QPR

by Ian Royal » 17 Feb 2014 14:46

Wycombe Royal
Hampshire Royal McAnuff was rubbish in the first half. I mean, what was he doing when he made the first goal??

I get your point but he didn't make that goal, he lost the ball on the edge of the box, Williams got hold of the loose ball played it thorough to Alfie who chipped it in perfectly for Williams to head home.

Even under "Snowball" stats he wouldn't get a half assist for that.

McCleary's been praised for the exact same thing for goaps recently. No assist obviously. But it was his attacking run that brought about the opportunity and as such he deserves credit for it. He played much better second half. I'd give him 8 overall 6.5 first and 9 second. He was far from poor. At worst he was solid.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Feb 2014 14:56

Ian Royal
Wycombe Royal
Hampshire Royal McAnuff was rubbish in the first half. I mean, what was he doing when he made the first goal??

I get your point but he didn't make that goal, he lost the ball on the edge of the box, Williams got hold of the loose ball played it thorough to Alfie who chipped it in perfectly for Williams to head home.

Even under "Snowball" stats he wouldn't get a half assist for that.

McCleary's been praised for the exact same thing for goaps recently. No assist obviously. But it was his attacking run that brought about the opportunity and as such he deserves credit for it. He played much better second half. I'd give him 8 overall 6.5 first and 9 second. He was far from poor. At worst he was solid.

The difference with McCleary's was that his DIRECTLY led to the goal the Alf scored, McAnuff's fell to Williams, who played it to Alf, who played it back to Williams. It was much more a team goal and he gets his credit for that.

And read my comments again, not once have I said he was poor, in fact I attributed a lot of our recent good run to him.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Feb 2014 15:07

Esteban Serious question: Do you think that the fact that this all changed at the same time Madejski wrestled back control of the club is a mere coincidence, or that Adkins was working to a strategy set- out by Anton?

Not trying to make something out of nothing, just interested in the opinion of someone who has a view on Adkins that is probably the exact opposite of mine.

This is how I see it. Adkins was brought in by Anton to get the team playing in a particular way, once Anton's influence at the club diminished perhaps Nigel felt he was free to set the team up in a slightly different way that they were more suited to. Or maybe Nige was just being particularly stubborn.

Saying that...I do believe the 'ground work' we did earlier in the season is reaping some rewards in this spell we're in right now. Even though we are playing a more direct style now, there is still evidence of the players being comfortable working the ball around the backline and in midfield which is a slight difference in how we were playing 12 months ago.

Either way, we're playing some fantastic stuff right now and there seems to be a real togetherness about the group. I don't doubt that that SJM's renewed influence and leadership has played a part in that, and will freely admit to being wrong about Mr Z. The 'Reading way' is very much coming to the fore once more, both on the pitch and off it, and long may it continue.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 17 Feb 2014 15:15

bcubed
Hampshire Royal I'm sorry if you see what I wrote as a personal criticism. It wasn't. I'm not a great believer in how 'assist' are measured, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the most important part of the goal was McAnuff's run. OK, maybe he was tackled at the end of the run, but the pace he was moving at, and the panic generated by his run ensured that the tackle was not a good one. Of all the people who had an important part to play: Akpan, McAnuff, Alf and Williams (one third of the team), the most crucial part was played by McAnuff. It's not you I was talking about when I spoke about the 'haters' but there are people on here who will belittle individual performances even in a very good team performance - the team which is captained by McAnuff.

I would say the crucial part was played by WIlliams
His ball with the outside of his foot to Alf was sublime, following it up with an excellent header

Obviously the crucial part was played by Williams as he ended up putting the ball in the net but that goal was the archetypal "team" goal

Anyone notice Jobi's run toward Alfie that drew Dunne out and meant that Williams had a free header - also good decision making from Alfie to see where the space was

And Akpan hasn't been given enough praise for the initial ball to Jobi which split the 2 QPR players around him and was perfectly placed for him to take in his stride and put Hughes on the back foot.

The QPR team were exactly the same as their fans, neither really turned up apart from a 10 minute spell after their goal. Other than that it was all us both on the pitch and in the stands (apart their very own village idiot with the Mexican hat and array of musical instruments)

I just hope that Pog's OK for Saturday as we'll struggle without him up front to lead the line.

Esteban

by Esteban » 17 Feb 2014 15:27

Woodcote Royal
Esteban Serious question: Do you think that the fact that this all changed at the same time Madejski wrestled back control of the club is a mere coincidence, or that Adkins was working to a strategy set- out by Anton?

Not trying to make something out of nothing, just interested in the opinion of someone who has a view on Adkins that is probably the exact opposite of mine.

I honestly don't know but my only major criticism of Adkins has been his refusal to get the best from this squad until he'd been in the job for more than 6 months. This squad simply couldn't play the way he wanted them to but was always good enough to be major contenders in this division.

Perhaps the realisation that he wasn't getting anyone in the window persuaded him to do what he should have in the first place.....................play to the strengths of those at his disposal. If he sticks to this approach, I wouldn't rule out finishing second.

That's fair comment.

KDRF

by KDRF » 17 Feb 2014 16:16

Eurghhhh lets stop arguing about adkins this and adkins that, he's just taken us away to the best team (on paper) in the championship, and beat them quite comfortably 3-1, with having had 10 men for 20 mins, give the man some fcuking credit. We have young players like Williams, Akpan, Obita, Mccarthey, Gunter, Pearce all playing well and will improve week on week let alone year on year. We have two strikers that not only work bloody hard, but one is a clinical finisher and the other is good at holding the ball up. We have young players such as Taylor, Hector, Blackman pushing for places. We have the likes of Guthrie, Morrison, Bridge, Karacan all to come back, which although may not get in the side at the moment, will give competition for places and create a positive atmosphere around the place. Can people cheer the fcuk up.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 17 Feb 2014 16:23

KDRF Eurghhhh lets stop arguing about adkins this and adkins that, he's just taken us away to the best team (on paper) in the championship, and beat them quite comfortably 3-1, with having had 10 men for 20 mins, give the man some fcuking credit. We have young players like Williams, Akpan, Obita, Mccarthey, Gunter, Pearce all playing well and will improve week on week let alone year on year. We have two strikers that not only work bloody hard, but one is a clinical finisher and the other is good at holding the ball up. We have young players such as Taylor, Hector, Blackman pushing for places. We have the likes of Guthrie, Morrison, Bridge, Karacan all to come back, which although may not get in the side at the moment, will give competition for places and create a positive atmosphere around the place. Can people cheer the fcuk up.

Post of the year - agree with it all.

McClearyChops

by McClearyChops » 17 Feb 2014 16:29

KDRF Eurghhhh lets stop arguing about adkins this and adkins that, he's just taken us away to the best team (on paper) in the championship, and beat them quite comfortably 3-1, with having had 10 men for 20 mins, give the man some fcuking credit. We have young players like Williams, Akpan, Obita, Mccarthey, Gunter, Pearce all playing well and will improve week on week let alone year on year. We have two strikers that not only work bloody hard, but one is a clinical finisher and the other is good at holding the ball up. We have young players such as Taylor, Hector, Blackman pushing for places. We have the likes of Guthrie, Morrison, Bridge, Karacan all to come back, which although may not get in the side at the moment, will give competition for places and create a positive atmosphere around the place. Can people cheer the fcuk up.

+1

Esteban

by Esteban » 17 Feb 2014 17:03

A scolded +1...

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Feb 2014 20:21

I really enjoyed the atmosphere on Sunday but strangely I enjoyed this chant as much as anything

Barton Barton you're a cu^t

And repeat

I know it's banal, it's puerile, it's rude and just not clever
But my god was it satisfying!

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 17 Feb 2014 20:32

bcubed I really enjoyed the atmosphere on Sunday but strangely I enjoyed this chant as much as anything

And repeat

I preferred..You look like a carnt you look like a carrnt, Joey Barton you look like a carnt

Just thinking I won't be able to top Sunday, great day all round, may give up going away again.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Feb 2014 20:37

Winnershroyal
bcubed I really enjoyed the atmosphere on Sunday but strangely I enjoyed this chant as much as anything

And repeat

I preferred..You look like a carnt you look like a carrnt, Joey Barton you look like a carnt

Just thinking I won't be able to top Sunday, great day all round, may give up going away again.

Personally I didn't think that scanned very well :)

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 17 Feb 2014 20:54

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Feb 2014 21:02

You'll be pleased to know that Sky captured Barton shouting "Oh oxf*rd off" just after he blazed a freekick miles over the bar. I presume he was talking to our travelling contingent. :lol:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Feb 2014 21:42

Ian Royal You'll be pleased to know that Sky captured Barton shouting "Oh oxf*rd off" just after he blazed a freekick miles over the bar. I presume he was talking to our travelling contingent. :lol:

:D

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Feb 2014 21:45

First half possession was 54% to Reading

Doesn't sound like typical Reading

Just maybe we are playing the Adkins way and maybe it involves possession plus high tempo and maybe it works!

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 17 Feb 2014 21:55

54% possession and the first goal were very unMcdermott like.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 17 Feb 2014 22:24

bcubed First half possession was 54% to Reading

Just maybe we are playing the Adkins way and maybe it involves possession plus high tempo and maybe it works!

Just perhaps you need to watch rather than listen.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 17 Feb 2014 22:41

"We don't care about Anton,
He don't care about me,
All we care about,
Is Reading FC"

Love it

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Feb 2014 23:05

Woodcote Royal
bcubed First half possession was 54% to Reading

Just perhaps you need to watch rather than listen.

That sentence is not your best work

And i was there thanks - the stats supported what i saw