Fulham FA Youth Cup back from game

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Fulham FA Youth Cup back from game

by andrew1957 » 01 Apr 2014 22:00

Well that was a classic game of two halves. At half time I said to my mate that the lads had been magnificent. First to every ball and 4-0 at half time would not have flattered them. The Fulham keeper was sent off because he was last man. It seemed very harsh but was the correct decision by the letter of the law.

By the end of the half Fulham looked like a punch drunk boxer on the ropes and we really should have finished them off before half time. From 1-11 our players were superb.

However, when the second half started and you could immediately see a resolve in the way Fulham were playing, whereas the Reading lads looked tired or perhaps they thought the game was won. They still dominated the half but Fulham played well defensively and largely limited RFC to long shots. It was a bit like watching the first team trying to get a goal against Yeovil. And Fulham were so quick on the break and scored a couple. But taking everything into account over 90 minutes a draw still flattered them a lot.

Sadly I fear we might have missed our chance because with just a little more composure up front tonight it is not an exaggeration to say that we could have had 7 or 8 as we had so many chances. So I think the lads will be disappointed, but anything can happen in the second leg and this group showed against Liverpool that they never know when they are beaten.

And why was Frid’s goal ruled out. I could not see any reason.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Fulham FA Youth Cup back from game

by JC » 01 Apr 2014 22:03

andrew1957 And why was Frid’s goal ruled out. I could not see any reason.

I assume for offside as the lino had his flag up. Looked pretty dubious to me

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Apr 2014 22:09

Yeah, it was offside. I thought the defender had played the ball to him though- and I couldn't see whether he was actually in an offside position!

My thoughts from the other thread:
SCIAG I agree with what's been said about their #10. He really came into it once Dembélé went off and was comfortably the best player on the pitch.

In the first half, we had the better of it, carving out several good opportunities. Dickie scored from a corner, then Stacey rounded their goalkeeper and got clipped. Fosu scored the resulting penalty very casually. Fulham only really threatened us with long solo runs, there was no organisation in attack from them and we dealt with them pretty well.

Second half, we came out and were excellent for 10 minutes, getting a lot of shots away and dominating possession. Sammi had a goal disallowed after it was judged that he was offside. We had a few cleared off the line, one of which might have been with an arm (Sammi was pretty adamant). Then Dembélé went off after being extremely lethargic and basically rubbish, and their #10 moved to the striker's spot. He looked dangerous pretty much straight away, but Dickie made a few good tackles. Then Hyam caught him (perhaps unnecessarily) and they had a stonewall penalty. Their second came after a couple of tame clearances.

Reading's MOTM was probably Dickie, despite one missed tackle that Hyam covered expertly. Highlight was making an excellent tackle, then getting up and playing a precision pass down the right flank.

It was probably the best game I've seen Sammi have, and the worst I've seen from Kuhl, who misplaced a few passes in the first half (though in fairness he improved in the second half and absolutely nailed a couple). Owusu and Kelly were good; Cardwell linked up well, but maybe wasn't as clinical as he should have been, particularly with headers. Stacey and Fosu are both horribly one footed, which limits how well they can dribble.

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 01 Apr 2014 22:13

andrew1957 The Fulham keeper was sent off because he was last man. It seemed very harsh but was the correct decision by the letter of the law.

:|

Elsewhere...

Owusu stood out for me, looks solid defensively and even better going forwards. Either he's a frustrated winger playing at full back, or he's just naturally gifted in both skill sets.

I was also impressed with Dickie's aerial ability, he won pretty much every header he was asked to at both ends of the pitch. Was a real threat from Kelly's set-pieces and Fridjonssons impressive long throws.

For the visitors Roberts (10) was the real stand out, was quick on the ball and you couldn't tell which direction he was going to turn next. He looked far more dangerous than Dembele who I was looking forward to seeing, but he just didn't look interested. Either he's fatigued from the weekends first team antics, or he thinks he's above the U18s.

Overall the result could have been so much better against 10 men, but we're still in this tie at the half way stage and tonight were clearly the better team. Every reason to stay confident.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Apr 2014 22:35

Have to say I expected us to get beaten and on chances created we should have won by half a dozen !

Predictably Fulham played better with 10 men, lots of teams do and once Dembele had left the field they were transformed.

Not sure why the red card was harsh or what 'the letter of the law' has to do with it. It was absolutely clear cut, Stacey went round the keeper who grabbed his foot and brought him down as he shot.

Thier penalty was cleverly constructed, the 10 showed excellent skill to work his way into the box then pushed the ball passed the defender who had his leg outstretched meaning a trip was waiting to happen.

We played the ball around much better than Fulham, but they showed great determination to fight back and Roberts looks quite a talent. With luck we would have been out of sight before half time , but we weren't 'and it is set up for a great second leg

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Apr 2014 22:36

Very impressed with how composed our players were, all though definitely overplayed it in the final third at times.

A few times in my head I was screaming for our defenders just to get rid, before they calmly played their way out of danger. Could deffo teach our back four a thing or two.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 01 Apr 2014 22:39

JC
andrew1957 And why was Frid’s goal ruled out. I could not see any reason.

I assume for offside as the lino had his flag up. Looked pretty dubious to me

I think Cardwell must have been in an offside position interfering with the GK's line of sight.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Apr 2014 22:41

Royal Prince Owusu stood out for me, looks solid defensively and even better going forwards. Either he's a frustrated winger playing at full back, or he's just naturally gifted in both skill sets.

He played right wing until recently. I was surprised to see him converted, but he has done well at left back.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 01 Apr 2014 23:03

Living in Exeter had no way of getting there tonight but interested to know how many were there?

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 02 Apr 2014 01:36

Have to agree with most of the other comments that we should have been out of sight by half-time! They hardly got out of their own half in the first 20 minutes or so. Fulham have a good academy set-up and the last time I saw us play them Dembele got a hat-trick I think so I wasn't expecting a result tonight. I have not been impressed with Sammi the last 2 games I've seen him but he had a good game today and he has an enormous throw on him!! Owusu impressed me and he linked up well with Fosu although the two of them were less effective in the second half when Fulham packed their defence.

I though Kuhl, despite the miss-placed passes alluded to by others, played a captain's game and really pulled the strings in the centre of the park. For Fulham Roberts (No 10) was their stand out performer but all their forwards were skillful with the ball and looked dangerous when they attacked at pace. Sadly we ran out of ideas towards the end of the game and didn't look like scoring and I fear we will be punished for that on Monday.

I thought the good-sized crowd did well to encourage the lads and I hope a good crowd of us can be there to support them in the second leg!

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 02 Apr 2014 07:49

Cape Town Royal Living in Exeter had no way of getting there tonight but interested to know how many were there?

Around 4,500 would be my Guesstimate.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 02 Apr 2014 08:26

Owusu was my man of the match - thought he was outstanding in all aspects of the game: thought Kurt was excellent in breaking up the play but was a bit over fond of the "hollywood" pass (especially in the second half)

Shame we stopped attacking their full backs in the second half - tiredness perhaps?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 02 Apr 2014 09:14

They went to 2 banks of 4 in the second half and used the quality of their 10 and 11 to break on us.

Very easy for them to do when your forward is that good. We couldn't break it down and they caught us out with some excellent play.

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 02 Apr 2014 09:44

andrew1957 Well that was a classic game of two halves. At half time I said to my mate that the lads had been magnificent. First to every ball and 4-0 at half time would not have flattered them. The Fulham keeper was sent off because he was last man. It seemed very harsh but was the correct decision by the letter of the law.

You realise in the letter of the law, there is no mention of "the last man"?

The rule states it's a red card if the defender/keeper prevents a goalscoring opportunity, last man or not.

Amazing that so many football fans and indeed TV/Radio pundits spout this guff so often.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Apr 2014 10:05

except another defender being in range means it cant be a clear cut goal scoring opportunity

same diff

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 02 Apr 2014 10:46

M U R T Y
andrew1957 Well that was a classic game of two halves. At half time I said to my mate that the lads had been magnificent. First to every ball and 4-0 at half time would not have flattered them. The Fulham keeper was sent off because he was last man. It seemed very harsh but was the correct decision by the letter of the law.

The rule states it's a red card if the defender/keeper prevents a goalscoring opportunity, last man or not.

Amazing that so many football fans and indeed TV/Radio pundits spout this guff so often.

Point taken but the reason I said it was harsh is because this rule is a bit crazy. Last night Stacey stayed on his feet and nearly scored prior to the penalty being given. If he had scored the goalkeeper could not have been sent off. Both ways it would have ended up 2-0 (although I accept the penalty could have been missed) so in these circumstances it plays the striker to miss and get the goalkeeper dismissed. This seems a crazy situation to me. I don't like this "preventing a goal scoring opportunity" rule and think in most circumstances a penalty is a sufficient outcome. The referee could still have discretion to send a player off in extreme cases.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 02 Apr 2014 10:50

M U R T Y

Actually on reflection if this is the case why was the Pearce red card against Sheff Wed rescinded. It was said at the tine it was because he was not the last man and Gorkks could have got across but arguably Pearce might still have stopped a goal scoring opportunity - so perhaps even the FA don't understand the rule.
Last edited by andrew1957 on 02 Apr 2014 10:54, edited 2 times in total.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Apr 2014 10:50

So what would happen if an attacker who was otherwise through on goal was brought down by the goalie just outside the box?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 02 Apr 2014 10:53

Platypuss So what would happen if an attacker who was otherwise through on goal was brought down by the goalie just outside the box?

I think that is where a referee should have discretion and if the goalkeeper clearly fouls the player intentionally and there are no mitigating circumstances I think it should be a sending off offence.

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 02 Apr 2014 11:05

The offence is the denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity, hence that is what the Fulham keeper was sent off for last night.

In reaching his decision as to whether to dismiss a player, the ref is advised to take into consideration other factors, including the position of any covering defenders. Hence when Pearce was sent off earlier in the season Reading appealed on the grounds that Gorkšs was in a position to prevent a clear goal scoring opportunity.

HTH