Nothing special just an interesting statement from Kitson

Blue & White Soup

Nothing special just an interesting statement from Kitson

by Blue & White Soup » 15 Apr 2014 16:50

He's hinting at retiring this summer at 35, saying he has one regret in football, and thats leaving Reading.

"I have one regret, and that is leaving Reading at the wrong time but that is my only regret. If you get out of the game with just one regret then that isn't bad."

Just some cannon fodder to get me through my 9-5.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Nothing special just an interesting statement from Kitso

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Apr 2014 16:52

Dave Kitson >>> Our current squad.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 Apr 2014 16:54

probably, for a short while the best striker i've ever seen here

and he's right

leaving killed his career

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Apr 2014 18:33

melonhead probably, for a short while the best striker i've ever seen here

and he's right

leaving killed his career

Like most of the 106 squad

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 15 Apr 2014 19:26

It was probably right for him to leave us when he did i.e. a proven Premier League striker in a relegated side, however Stoke was definitely not the right club for him. If anyone's read the Secret Footballer books it's clear he and Pulis never got on. I wonder if he doesn't also regret the drink drive conviction that (again in the book) cost him an England chance?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Apr 2014 19:43

The terminology "Reading Legend" gets bandied around maybe too often.

However, DK came close...not just because of scoring our first ever Premiership goal...or indeed for the goals that he did score,

but for his whole hearted "putting his head in" all round play, our best ever defensive striker???

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 15 Apr 2014 21:30

Probably still do as good a job as Pog right now, if he lost a couple of pounds. :D

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 15 Apr 2014 22:15

May the imprint of Danny Cademateri's teeth be an effervescent reminder for him, in his retirement. Cracking player, he was and it was really a defining moment in his career, signing for us. As with most of the 106 squad, was sorely missed after he left.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Apr 2014 22:53

Royalcop It was probably right for him to leave us when he did i.e. a proven Premier League striker in a relegated side, however Stoke was definitely not the right club for him. If anyone's read the Secret Footballer books it's clear he and Pulis never got on. I wonder if he doesn't also regret the drink drive conviction that (again in the book) cost him an England chance?

I agree with this. He definitely picked the right time to leave, but completely the wrong club. He probably didn't have options, but if he'd have gone to Wigan (for example, can't remember what their striking options and finances were like) then he'd probably have made a few appearances at international level.

If he hadn't left, we'd probably never have signed Noel Hunt, and playing with SHunt and Kebe probably wouldn't have suited Kitson. Strange to think how things would have been different.

Finally... I still think Murty was one of our greatest captains.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Apr 2014 01:19

Still can't help having a soft spot for Kitson.

Speaking of the 106 team, they were pretty much average to above average Championship players who clicked as a team ridiculously well, out of all of them, they only one to have stayed in the top flight is Sidwell, also Long to me doesn't count as he was very much a bit part player during those years, behind Doyle, Kitson and Lita.

Also Glen Little on his day is the best winger I've seen play for Reading since I've supported them, not gifted with pace but his skill and trickery on the ball was ridiculous.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 16 Apr 2014 06:50

Coppell did what he did best and made a jigsaw over a period of time that fit and players who cared. Never will I ever see such joy from a Reading team as I did that season, but maybe the reason being the chase is over and we know what's beyond this division (and in lots of ways, especially last season it can be a bit shit).

Kitson was integral to the side, but I think he should never of left. Going to Stoke was an awful move and then when he did come back on loan he was devoid of any confidence from previously which I think is how Kits played. He was one of those players who comes to life under the right manager (wonder how many of our current lot would come to life under Sir Steve instead of the orange Pratt)

One mention from that team goes to Bryn, who ok wasn't a week in week out player but was like superglue at this club for years. I wonder how much we miss him now backstage. He was a very decent player too who could play in a number of positions.

Actually thinking about it... How is his courses going?!?! Time to sift the orange Pratt out and get our Icelandic Bull (only knew him as that due to his strength) back?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 16 Apr 2014 09:26

Probably in my top 3 favourite all time RFC players and he has also said in the past that when he is free on our match days he comes to the Stadium Of Mong with his kids. Nice to think he still feels such affinity with the club.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Apr 2014 09:31

soggy biscuit Probably in my top 3 favourite all time RFC players and he has also said in the past that when he is free on our match days he comes to the Stadium Of Mong with his kids. Nice to think he still feels such affinity with the club.

I'd <3 him even more if he actually called it the Stadium of Mong.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 16 Apr 2014 09:34

If at the time Stoke was the only option available, then he did leave at the wrong time.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Apr 2014 13:38

One of my favourite Reading players. Aside from his role in the 106 team, he was one of the best all round players I've seen in a Reading shirt and for 2 years he was our only serious goal threat. I liked the way he wasn't afraid to say what he thought and wore his heart firmly on his sleeve. He has sort of covered this ground in one of the Secret Footballer books where he stated that there is one club he played for that he regards as "home" and always regretted leaving them.

I think he left at the right time for him to further his career, Stoke were just the wrong club for him and people were saying it from Day 1. You do wonder whether the club decided they could only keep one of Kitson or Doyle and bet on a younger, less injury prone Doyle as the better option, jumping at the first half decent offer for Kitson. I can't believe a club like West Brom, Fulham or even someone like Newcastle wouldn't have been interested in him.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 16 Apr 2014 13:50

AthleticoSpizz The terminology "Reading Legend" gets bandied around maybe too often.

However, DK came close...not just because of scoring our first ever Premiership goal...or indeed for the goals that he did score,

but for his whole hearted "putting his head in" all round play, our best ever defensive striker???

Agreed

Can't remember which game vs West Ham it was (he was excellent in both the 3-1 and 2-0 FTR, scoring all 5 goals for us in the process) but he charged down a Tomas Repka long ball on the halfway line within 10 seconds of kick off. Goals aside, that's probably the defining memory of him for me. He was real quality at a time when we really had a just above par squad (03-05).

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 16 Apr 2014 14:50

In his pomp he was absolute quality. I didn't care for the way he started dropping deeper and deeper to play some kind of Wayne Rooney role later on - up front he was brilliant.

Great touch, great awareness, good finisher, just a very good footballer. Bradford overhead kick surely one of the best RFC goals of all time.

It all seems a long time ago now, doesn't it? :(

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 16 Apr 2014 15:17

Maguire In his pomp he was absolute quality. I didn't care for the way he started dropping deeper and deeper to play some kind of Wayne Rooney role later on - up front he was brilliant.

Great touch, great awareness, good finisher, just a very good footballer. Bradford overhead kick surely one of the best RFC goals of all time.

It all seems a long time ago now, doesn't it? :(

Yes m8 and that goal at Bradford is my favourite ever RFC goal

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 16 Apr 2014 15:28

3points Probably still do as good a job as Pog right now, if he lost a couple of pounds. :D

Would probably do as well as Pog without losing a couple of pounds. Great player for us, I always thought he was our best defender too from set pieces.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 16 Apr 2014 15:38

Makes you realise what quality we used to have when you compare it to now. His first game, away at Palace IIRC, was over 10 years ago now?