Who would you like in charge next season?

122 posts

Who would you like to see manage the team in August?

Nigel Adkins
56%
Eamonn Dolan
16%
Steve Clarke
3%
Chris Hughton
2%
Malky Mackay
7%
Brian McDermott
10%
Paolo Di Canio
1%
Phil Parkinson
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 199
Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Who would you like in charge next season?

by Binfield Royal » 18 Apr 2014 17:43

Adkins if he doesn't resign over the undoubted broken promises of the board - with the big proviso that he is allowed to rebuild the team over the summer tailored to whatever budget is available. I am not saying he should be give billions (not that this was ever on the table) but, he should be allowed to clear out the big earners who can't / won't play the way he wants, promote some of the undoubtably talented youngers players from the U21s and let him bring in such players as will play the style he believes will succed in the division.

If, after a full season of that, he hasn't met the targets he and the board have publicly stated to the fans, then replace him but, this season has been a debarcle and I do feel Adkins has done as well as any manager could have done with the difficulties and (lack of) resources available.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 18 Apr 2014 17:45

Unbelievable Jeff
Avon Royal
Unbelievable Jeff

Stop licking Adkins' ass.
The ownership does not affect the tactics, substitutions, motivation or effort of the staff and their players, Adkins was able to bring in 3 big signings at the start of the season and had a squad equipped with everything necessary to be sitting comfortably in the play-offs at the minimum.

The Performances this season are unexcuseable and Adkins along with the players have to be at the top of the blame list.

:roll:

go on...

You genuinely think that Adkins was the one that wanted to bring in Drenthe, Williams and Bridge?

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 18 Apr 2014 17:52

There is a possibility, yes. There is no way that you can say for definite that Adkins did not want those players

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 Apr 2014 17:56

Dolan x100000000

For all that Adkins has been, to some extent, let down by the board..he is still sending teams out time and time again with the same insipid tactics that have failed throughout the season and yet expects a different result. The very definition of insanity. He speaks of the great academy we have, but continues to ignore the fine form of Tanner, Kuhl etc while favouring mediocre over the hill players that are in poor form. It's numbing, even the games we do win are either smash and grab or 50/50..how many games have we properly outplayed a team this season? Not very many is the answer, and when you compare this squad to others in the division that's really quite pathetic.

I liked him when he came in. I thought he had fresh ideas and would bring a new dimension to our football. But he's brought nothing and destroyed what we did have. If he does lead us into next season then I'm willing to give him a chance to turn it round with a fresh squad with some of the ludicrously high earners gone...but I'd far rather see Dolan on the touchline come next August.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 18 Apr 2014 18:07

Unbelievable Jeff There is a possibility, yes. There is no way that you can say for definite that Adkins did not want those players

Avon Royal clearly knows more than we do, perhaps he is on the board?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 18 Apr 2014 18:08

Can anyone remind me what happened the last two times our new managers missed out on the playoffs?

#justasking

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Apr 2014 18:27

Avon Royal The manager isn't the problem.

It's the ownership that needs sorting.

Absolutely this, although he's not exactly helping a great deal right now. But also if Adkins were to leave then Dolan, although I'm not sure he wants it. The only problem with Adkins is that there's a vocal minority, seemingly of those unable to let go of McDermott's era, that want him out. That makes him a divisive character, which is something we really don't need at the moment.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Apr 2014 18:37

Uke Can anyone remind me what happened the last two times our new managers missed out on the playoffs?

#justasking

They missed out on them again / lost the play off final. :wink:

It really doesn't take much to go from a mid-table team to one of the top four in this division. A good start to breed confidence and a settled side of decent players can do it, even if much the same team was lack lustre the previous season.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 18 Apr 2014 18:40

Ian Royal
Avon Royal The manager isn't the problem.

It's the ownership that needs sorting.

Absolutely this, although he's not exactly helping a great deal right now. But also if Adkins were to leave then Dolan, although I'm not sure he wants it. The only problem with Adkins is that there's a vocal minority, seemingly of those unable to let go of McDermott's era, that want him out. That makes him a divisive character, which is something we really don't need at the moment.

The only problem?!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Apr 2014 18:49

In terms of his future at the club when you get past his disappointing performance so far, which has a number of contributory factors outside his control or influence. Any manager can have a disappointing season where it doesn't go right and they get things wrong.

Adkin's record speaks for itself that such seasons should be rare and we ought to be able to rely on him to do a better job next season, particularly if we can sort out the ownership, finances and have a bit of a clear out.

I think it's a little to soon for a lot of the youth team. The real potential stars seem to be predominantly in the U18s and I think they need more physical development and experience. Hopefully we can see the likes of Tshi, Tanner and Ugwu getting a bit of a run out before the end of the season and play bigger parts next year.

I just don't think circumstances have fit for them to be used much this year. We've been staving off failure too long and bringing them into a team in this sort of form isn't an ideal introduction.

It really not too bad a season for young player's getting experience. Taylor's been tried a bit and from what I heard (don't recall seeing any of his games) failed to impress, whilst Obita has been a revelation and Hector is getting valuable game time and doing ok. That's actually a pretty damn good hit rate and number to be bringing in. We're just spoilt with the quality and number of those who are perhaps a year or two further away.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 18 Apr 2014 18:53

winchester_royal Dolan x100000000

For all that Adkins has been, to some extent, let down by the board..he is still sending teams out time and time again with the same insipid tactics that have failed throughout the season and yet expects a different result..

How are these players ever going to learn to play the system if he doesn't stick with it? And with respect, he has gone back to 4-4-2 on occasion this season and we were just as mediocre. Teams in the Premiership now adopt the 4-2-3-1 formation, and if we want to go up and stay there, we too need to learn to play it - the problem is we have largely McDermott's direct style players and they simply cannot adjust, nor do they look like they want to! Quite simply we need a huge clear-out, and the players that aren't interested or can't change their game need to move on. A mix of youngsters and bargain basement signings need to be made, and Adkins can then build his own side, just as he was promised the opportunity to do so last summer before all promises were broken. The club and the fans now need to be patient and back the manager as he 'hopefully' gets the support he needs and deserves to build his own team.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 18 Apr 2014 18:59

SPARTA

For all that Adkins has been, to some extent, let down by the board..he is still sending teams out time and time again with the same insipid tactics that have failed throughout the season and yet expects a different result..

How are these players ever going to learn to play the system if he doesn't stick with it? And with respect, he has gone back to 4-4-2 on occasion this season and we were just as mediocre. Teams in the Premiership now adopt the 4-2-3-1 formation, and if we want to go up and stay there, we too need to learn to play it - the problem is we have largely McDermott's direct style players and they simply cannot adjust, nor do they look like they want to! Quite simply we need a huge clear-out, and the players that aren't interested or can't change their game need to move on. A mix of youngsters and bargain basement signings need to be made, and Adkins can then build his own side, just as he was promised the opportunity to do so last summer before all promises were broken. The club and the fans now need to be patient and back the manager as he 'hopefully' gets the support he needs and deserves to build his own team.

What system? There's no movement, no structure, no triangles in the middle, little team work on the flanks, no cohesion in defence, and f*ck all flair in attack. Just because we're playing one up top that doesn't automatically make the tactics progressive. I'd be pretty content with our results if we were at least trying to play decent, attacking football.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 18 Apr 2014 19:07

winchester_royal
SPARTA

What system? There's no movement, no structure, no triangles in the middle, little team work on the flanks, no cohesion in defence, and f*ck all flair in attack. Just because we're playing one up top that doesn't automatically make the tactics progressive. I'd be pretty content with our results if we were at least trying to play decent, attacking football.

I know, but Adkins has said at least twice in post match pressers that these players are not doing on a match day what they are asked to do. This lot just aren't interested, and the few that are just aren't good enough and panic in possession. When Adkins came in he had his tactics, his style, incorporated into all levels of the academy, and we've seen the benefits. The only place it has failed so far is the first team, and it wont all be down to lack of ability, it will also come down to lack of willingness to adapt. Those players need to go this summer, and really the sooner the better!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Apr 2014 19:10

I think you're over-egging Adkins influence on the Academy and under playing Dolan's. From all that most of the people who've been watching the youth for more than this season have said, they haven't really changed the way they do things.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 18 Apr 2014 19:16

St. Brynjar
Pepe the Horseman If Adkins left or was sacked, it'd have to be Dolan.

I agree. Cheap option, and it worked out last time we promoted from within. I'd rather see Nigel keep the job though.

This.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 18 Apr 2014 19:17

Fair enough Sparts, but if that is the case then why persist with the, frankly useless, older players rather than bringing in a few of the younger guys who are more suited to it?

Maybe they're not ready yet...Which is why I won't be upset to see him stay...I'd just prefer to see Dolan in charge.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 18 Apr 2014 19:26

St. Brynjar

I agree. Cheap option, and it worked out last time we promoted from within. I'd rather see Nigel keep the job though.

People keep saying McDermott worked out but I still don't get it. Yes, we got promoted but we got promoted playing some pretty ugly football. We came straight back down without even a shred of fight or hope. Is that really working out?

Adkins, given some financial backing will get a team playing well with the chance of actually staying up. Let's not simply get rid of a manager because he failed to get play-offs with a totally mediocre team that he largely inherited.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Apr 2014 19:29

Irvinchangeyaname
St. Brynjar

People keep saying McDermott worked out but I still don't get it. Yes, we got promoted but we got promoted playing some pretty ugly football. We came straight back down without even a shred of fight or hope. Is that really working out?

Adkins, given some financial backing will get a team playing well with the chance of actually staying up. Let's not simply get rid of a manager because he failed to get play-offs with a totally mediocre team that he largely inherited.

It's certainly not failure. As much success as we wanted? No. Successful? Yes.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 18 Apr 2014 19:33

I think it would be naive to bring the youngsters in the team now.

It could potentially break some of these players. Come into a team struggling with injuries with players you've never really played with before.

I'm sure Adkins is tempted, but it's not right for the long term. The ideal time to bring these players through would be during pre-season and that's what I'm expecting.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 18 Apr 2014 19:36

Exactly. Clear out during the summer. Maybe bring in some lower league players and start getting some of our youngsters involved next season. Hate to say it, based on what many of them have accomplished with us in the past, but a lot of this squad is past its "sell by" date.

122 posts