Who would you like in charge next season?

122 posts

Who would you like to see manage the team in August?

Nigel Adkins
56%
Eamonn Dolan
16%
Steve Clarke
3%
Chris Hughton
2%
Malky Mackay
7%
Brian McDermott
10%
Paolo Di Canio
1%
Phil Parkinson
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 199
St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

Who would you like in charge next season?

by St. Brynjar » 18 Apr 2014 16:48

Assuming we don't get promoted, who would you like to see as Reading manager next season? Let Adkins finish the job or start fresh with someone else?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who would you like in charge next season?

by Avon Royal » 18 Apr 2014 16:49

The manager isn't the problem.

It's the ownership that needs sorting.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Apr 2014 16:52

If Adkins left or was sacked, it'd have to be Dolan.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 18 Apr 2014 16:54

Pepe the Horseman If Adkins left or was sacked, it'd have to be Dolan.

I agree. Cheap option, and it worked out last time we promoted from within. I'd rather see Nigel keep the job though.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 18 Apr 2014 16:55

Adkins.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him resign and go somewhere better than here though.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Apr 2014 16:57

Anyone but Adkins

Totally unsuited to this club.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 18 Apr 2014 17:05

NA with a clear-out of players whose skill set only allows the team to play hoofball. This squad needs to be rebuilt to one that can string a few passes together and get more than 2 shots on target per game. The current players are not up to playing a game of football like that...

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 18 Apr 2014 17:09

Sal Bibbo
Eamonn Dolan
Your mum
Craig Mortimer
That Les from Big Night Out lookalike who sells the Golden Gamble

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 18 Apr 2014 17:27

Last summer Adkins was promised money and got next to nothing. Majorly let down by Zingarevich.
Last January Adkins was promised money and got next to nothing. Majorly let down by Madejski.

He deserves a chance to clear out the half-arsed over-paid dead wood and build his own team!

If Adkins decided he'd had enough, and who could blame him, then Dolan!
Last edited by SPARTA on 18 Apr 2014 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 18 Apr 2014 17:28

The ownership definitely needs clarifying but that shouldn't excuse some of the lifeless performances we've seen this season. If we did have clear leadership within the club Adkins would have gone weeks ago in favour of a motivator (e.g. Holloway, Colin) that could have galvanised the group into a charge for the play-offs and beyond.

I would have McDermott back like a shot - knows the club inside and out and a great motivator. Whether he would come back is another thing. Failing that Eddie Howe from Bournemouth is definitely destined for greater things though might see us as a sideways step.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 18 Apr 2014 17:29

Give him until Xmas for me....

We need a clearout & he needs to be allowed to do it before we can fully judge. My faith in him has diminished somewhat if I'm honest though.

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 18 Apr 2014 17:30

Avon Royal The manager isn't the problem.

Stop licking Adkins' ass.
The ownership does not affect the tactics, substitutions, motivation or effort of the staff and their players, Adkins was able to bring in 3 big signings at the start of the season and had a squad equipped with everything necessary to be sitting comfortably in the play-offs at the minimum.

The Performances this season are unexcuseable and Adkins along with the players have to be at the top of the blame list.

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 18 Apr 2014 17:31

savage 4 england Adkins.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him resign and go somewhere better than here though.

:lol: How did you work this one out?

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 18 Apr 2014 17:35

Unbelievable Jeff The ownership does not affect the tactics, substitutions, motivation or effort of the staff and their players

I'd argue that it certainly could affect the players especially some of the more billy big b0ll0cks ones (Drenthe, Pog) who were sold a vision of a club which has not at all transpired to be the case. Some others, HRK, Pearce could be regretting not leaving last summer and be de-motivated as a result. I think it would be hard to argue that the ownership travails would have no impact on the playing staff at all.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 18 Apr 2014 17:36

sandman Anyone but Adkins

Totally unsuited to this club.

Think you've hit the nail on the head. Like Bodgers, sometimes it just doesn't work out and you've got the wrong man at the wrong club.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 18 Apr 2014 17:37

Unbelievable Jeff

The ownership does not affect the tactics, substitutions, motivation or effort of the staff and their players, Adkins was able to bring in 3 big signings at the start of the season and had a squad equipped with everything necessary to be sitting comfortably in the play-offs at the minimum.

The Performances this season are unexcuseable and Adkins along with the players have to be at the top of the blame list.

:roll:

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 18 Apr 2014 17:39

SPARTA Last summer Adkins was promised money and got next to nothing. Majorly let down by Zingarevich.
Last January Adkins was promised money and got next to nothing. Majorly let down by Madejski.

He deserves a chance to clear out the half-arsed over-paid dead wood and build his own team!

If Adkins decided he'd had enough, and who could blame him, then Dolan!

All of this.

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 18 Apr 2014 17:41

Royalcop
Unbelievable Jeff The ownership does not affect the tactics, substitutions, motivation or effort of the staff and their players

I'd argue that it certainly could affect the players especially some of the more billy big b0ll0cks ones (Drenthe, Pog) who were sold a vision of a club which has not at all transpired to be the case. Some others, HRK, Pearce could be regretting not leaving last summer and be de-motivated as a result. I think it would be hard to argue that the ownership travails would have no impact on the playing staff at all.

I take your point on board, however I would still say that the finger pointing has to be directed at the management.

For the players, they shouldn't be concentrating on if they should have left last season or the off the field antics of the club, we are paying their wage so Nigel should be getting them down and making them give 100%. I would also say that the out of the players you've mentioned, Pog has give 100% every game up until the last couple, Drenthe is Sh*t and hasn't featured, same applies to HRK and Pearce has not had many performances that have justified him wanting to leave for a better club so I don't think the ownership is much of an excuse.

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 18 Apr 2014 17:42

Avon Royal
Unbelievable Jeff

:roll:

go on...

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 18 Apr 2014 17:42

Unbelievable Jeff
savage 4 england Adkins.

:lol: How did you work this one out?

I think a lot of the people on the outside realise the environment he's working in. I don't think his reputation will be tarnished from his management here.

People still view him as a manager who tries to play in the right way, brings through youngsters and past record of promotion.

Those three reasons is why.

*I know the style of football here is shite. I just think that's a short term thing given the lack of technical quality in our squad.

122 posts