BFTG - Donny (a)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

BFTG - Donny (a)

by winchester_royal » 26 Apr 2014 18:10

Oh my.

First half was awful. Seriously awful. As bad as anything we've produced this season. Not sure we had a single shot at goal, the midfield was non-existent...epitomised by the anonymous Akpan and the woeful Leigertwood, and there was no pace or urgency in attack. Cue mass hysteria in the concourse.

Second half was a completely different story. While quality was still in short supply, all of a sudden that hunger and desire Nigel has been talking about all season was evident. Leigertwood had somehow been transformed into a Viera type figure, dominating the midfield, and we started getting at their full backs and creating chances. The pressure paid off eventually, and it was a deserved 3 points in the end.

Special mentions to the much derided duo Leigertwood and McAnuff for turning the game around second half with their drive and passion, to Pearce for his outrageous assist, and to Jakey Taylor for coming on and making an impact.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Donny (a)

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 26 Apr 2014 18:14

Why the actual f uck Jake Taylor hasn't made more cameos given our recent injuries and suspensions in midfield is a mystery.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 26 Apr 2014 18:17

BraisingsteakRoyal Why the actual f uck Jake Taylor hasn't made more cameos given our recent injuries and suspensions in midfield is a mystery.

Because he's looked out of depth every time he's played until his cameo today?

Anyway, f*ck today bring on Burnley

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Apr 2014 18:22

winchester_royal Oh my.

First half was awful. Seriously awful. As bad as anything we've produced this season. Not sure we had a single shot at goal, the midfield was non-existent...epitomised by the anonymous Akpan and the woeful Leigertwood, and there was no pace or urgency in attack. Cue mass hysteria in the concourse.

Second half was a completely different story. While quality was still in short supply, all of a sudden that hunger and desire Nigel has been talking about all season was evident. Leigertwood had somehow been transformed into a Viera type figure, dominating the midfield, and we started getting at their full backs and creating chances. The pressure paid off eventually, and it was a deserved 3 points in the end.

Special mentions to the much derided duo Leigertwood and McAnuff for turning the game around second half with their drive and passion, to Pearce for his outrageous assist, and to Jakey Taylor for coming on and making an impact.

So Ledge improved in the second half? Yep that sounds like a player who was growing into a game after a year out through injury.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Apr 2014 18:28

sandman
winchester_royal Oh my.

So Ledge improved in the second half? Yep that sounds like a player who was growing into a game after a year out through injury.

'Improved' doesn't quite cut it.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Apr 2014 18:33

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 26 Apr 2014 19:15

John Madejski's Wallet
BraisingsteakRoyal Why the actual f uck Jake Taylor hasn't made more cameos given our recent injuries and suspensions in midfield is a mystery.

And for the most part Hector, Akpan etc haven't?

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 26 Apr 2014 19:32

BraisingsteakRoyal
John Madejski's Wallet

And for the most part Hector, Akpan etc haven't?

Niko

by Niko » 26 Apr 2014 20:13

First half was woeful from both sides. The only chance I can recall was the goal, and even that seemed to have been borne of shoddy defending. Saying that though we did try a bit harder after they scored, got a couple of corners but they slowed down our momentum into half time.

Second half started off pretty slowly, the away fans seemed tentative when it came to backing the boys, but we eventually started to boss the game. McCleary was in charge down the right side the whole half. What seemed to change everything was the absolutely disgraceful play-acting/refereeing on display which galvanised the team and led the fans to cheer much more vociferously and gee the team on. Once we got the goal from the IMO needlessly conceded penalty, we were on a role and there was only one team in it. Beautifully weighted ball from Gunter for the 2nd and a nice counter from Pearce of all people to get the 3rd, cue pandamonium and Wembley chants.

Crowd was immense especially 2nd half, can't remember an away atmosphere like it since our last decent cup run. Players were equally as passionate for the 2nd and 3rd goals and when they came over at the end. It may have taken 45 games but we finally look like a side ready to compete for the playoffs.

EarleyRoyal16

by EarleyRoyal16 » 26 Apr 2014 21:07

Woeful first half. Class second half.

The passion was there for all to see in that second half, easily best away game of the season, absolute scenes for both of Pog's goals. Was indifferent to the play offs before this game but now that's all I want, sudden belief that we actually could do it. Suppose that's what a passionate performance does. Derby in the playoffs would be a really harsh task though, but I really do have a good feeling about it now.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 26 Apr 2014 21:22

https://vine.co/v/Mvb96XWMlO0

Pearce's assist. Go on son. :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Apr 2014 21:54

Not much I can say. The first half was mediocre at best, with us looking off the pace. Donny were nowhere second half but I still don't remember us looking that good. Still. Good goals. Amazing away game experience.

Donny were great... welcome poster in the concourse, tannoy stuff about our history. Decent and friendly stewards. Hope they stay up. Great club.

URRZZZ!!!!

el_presidente

by el_presidente » 26 Apr 2014 22:00

In one moment the Pearce stepover redeemed the whole of this ridiculous season.

That 2nd half is why you sit through the dross game after game.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Apr 2014 22:02

el_presidente In one moment the Pearce stepover redeemed the whole of this ridiculous season.

That 2nd half is why you sit through the dross game after game.

I have literally no memory of the build up to any of our goals. The best I can get is thinking the penalty was soft, but justified.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Apr 2014 22:11

John Madejski's Wallet

Good game against Brighton, and he's done less wrong than Akpan.

I'd begun to trust Adkins on this, but after today I'm not so sure.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 26 Apr 2014 22:15

I would have to give an assist for that second half performance to the referee.

After making two shambolic decisions one after the other he managed to fire the away fans up more than anyone could have imagined.

Nothing worth saying about the first half, the second half however....... That is how good sides put the poorer ones to the sword and yes we did look a good side.

Man of the match for me was POG, two goals and put a good shift in, McCleary not far behind.

old woman

by old woman » 26 Apr 2014 22:29

Firstly an injury update--I have strained my neck/shoulder muscle celebrating the 3rd goal. :o

Referee was shocking but as others have said this seemed to galvanise players and supporters.

1st half we were poor but the swirling wind didn't help. Crowd had great fun shouting "Ole" when we strung 10 passes together across the back 4.

2nd half Donny started time wasting with their goalie taking an age over goal kicks.
McCleary turned up and we seemed a lot better.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 26 Apr 2014 22:34

As most have said, first half was awful and second half was so much better. The ref was an arse and how the Donny defender managed to touch a ball 3 times and not give away a corner I will never know. Still fear for next week (and beyond if we make it) because of the crap we produced first half.

Derbyshire Royal

by Derbyshire Royal » 26 Apr 2014 22:38

Agree with all the above, especially the ref he was one of the worst I have ever seen.

The crowd were fantastic and it was great to see Pearce so fired up.

I thought we started to look much better when we had the ball on the floor rather than the long bouts of head tennis, that we generally ended up losing.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 26 Apr 2014 23:16

For only the second time this season Reading managed to come from behind to win, this time at lowly Doncaster. After a win from promotion contenders Brighton last night, it was necessary for The Royals to match the result for our fate to be in our own hands next weekend against Burnley. Losses for Ipswich, and Nottingham Forest, means that two from Wigan, Reading, and Brighton will secure play-off places next weekend - with Wigan also playing midweek against a relegation threatened Birmingham. There's also a slim chance of Blackburn snatching a place - should Wigan lose midweek, Blackburn beat them by 3 goals on Saturday, with Brighton losing at Forest - but it's quite evidently a longshot.

Back to this weekend, and as is normal with Reading's away performances as of late, a poor opening half saw James Coppinger sneak in unmarked at the far post to turn in a Billy Sharp pass across the face of goal. Oddly reminiscent of Bournemouth, the marking of players coming into the box was non-existant, and Coppinger had a tap in. From there, Doncaster looked better for the rest of the first half in front of a raucous away end. Poor distribution from Morrison saw possession wasted on numerous occasions, and there was almost nobody who could hold onto the ball. McAnuff once managed to break down the left hand side, after a good ball from ALF, and in the only other moment of note McCleary was scythed down on the very edge of the area but the resulting free-kick hit the wall. We didn't have a shot on target in the first half - which says everything.

In the second half we looked much brighter, and just after the hour mark a ball through to Le Fondre saw Paul Quinn bring down the striker, and the penalty from Le Fonder just snuck under Sam Johnstone in goal. From then Reading hit a Donnie wall, who were just as in need of the points as the team from Berkshire. After weathering a storm the turning point of the game probably came when McCleary had the ball on the edge of the area after a thunderous volley had left Enda Stevens on the floor, and the referee chose to stop play. Moments after, an obvious corner was deemed to be a goal-kick - for the third time in four games.

These moments, alongside the substitution of Jake Taylor for Hope Akpan, seemed to spark Reading. Le Fondre missed a sitter from 8 yards, as he ballooned a shot over, but a Reading goal was coming. Taylor looked like he'd played in the side for years, with beautiful interplay - particularly with ALF up front. His cross looped over the keeper, to a completely unmarked Pavel to head home. Pav then added another after a quite mesmirising run from Pearce. Not entirely sure what happened to the defence, but Pog blasted into the gap between keeper and near post to make the points safe.

Le Fondre, and second-half-Pogrebnyak looked unstoppable - pretty much the force we know they could be. Both were a handful, and I don't think I've seen the latter sprint quite like today. There's also a strong case for Taylor to be included from the start next Saturday. When we moved slightly more toward a diamond - with him sitting just behind the strikers - it appeared to be the missing link between defence and attack that we'd lacked so often this season. Finally, what's wrong with having contested drop balls? A couple of times they would have benefitted Reading, and Doncaster gained an obvious advantage by going down, and having the goalkeeper clear it back to McCarthy.

All goes down to the final day, then, with a Reading win ensuring play-off football. Wigan's result at St Mary's could make the final day incredibly interesting - especially if they fail to pick up any points at all - with a tricky away tie to Blackburn on the final day, who are unbeaten in twelve matches. We, of course, have Burnley at home - who were, by all accounts, poor today even though they managed to get a 1-0 victory over Ipswich. Massive final day. Come on, Reading! I'm starting to believe.

from