Time for fans to stand up and be counted

116 posts
Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

Time for fans to stand up and be counted

by Schards#2 » 03 May 2014 19:42

As things currently stand, next season is likely to be the most challanging the club has faced for over a decade. With an absent owner and the likelyhood of a takeover hugely diminished by todays outcome, there is likely to be a large exodus of players and the ongoing directionless drift that having an owner who doesn't give a toss ensures.

In the circumstances, i'm dissapointed to hear fan after fan announcing that they won't be renewing their season ticket/won't be going to games next season like it's some sort of badge of honour. As fans, we've had a decade of either being in the premiership or challanging for the premiership. It's easy to support a club in these circumstances, it's unlikely to be so easy next year.

So, to quote Delia, come on, lets be havin' you. If your a supporter of this club, give it your support when it needs it most, stand up and be counted and commit yourself to next season. It's going to be tough but Sir John and the club needs your support like never before this century.

Obv's, It's your money and your choice but I would urge you all to stand up and be counted and back the club in its hour of need.

Winnershroyal

Re: Time for fans to stand up and be counted

by Winnershroyal » 03 May 2014 19:48

I am renewing, was going to either way.

I do fear administration though, a 10 or 15 point deduction is heading our way, and sooner than most think.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 03 May 2014 19:48

Reading till I die, Been a S/T holder from the Elm park days, losing out on the play-offs after a decade of what I would have given my right arm for 20 yeas ago will never change my mind , some of the younger fans don`t know any different obviously

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 May 2014 19:49

windermere_royal losing out on the play-offs after a decade of what I would have given my right arm for 20 yeas ago will never change my mind , some of the younger fans don`t know any different obviously
+1

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 03 May 2014 19:54

Still be there next season, fearing a relegation scrap though with most if not all of those out of contract and/or on high wages to be moving on.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 May 2014 19:55

I'll be there.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 03 May 2014 20:01

I'll be there as I have been for the last 35 years but don't patronise the real fans with a condiscending lecture it's a bad enough day as it is

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 03 May 2014 20:04

I can't wait for next season, even more so if we can get shot of Anton.
Last edited by Avon Royal on 03 May 2014 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 03 May 2014 20:06

Yep, it's going to take some very strong leadership to untangle the congealed mess we've found ourselves in. It would be nice just to have a decent, honest & value for money close knit squad to get behind next season.

This season has just been so meh.....neither one thing or the other, just a lumbering overpriced collection of waifs and strays bodging about for results and performances. It would be great to see a team of part experience/part youth playing a watchable style of football within a manageable budget & expectation level - I would enjoy it so much more than what's on offer now.

Blue & White Soup

by Blue & White Soup » 03 May 2014 20:10

I can only ever make it to roughly 10 games a season, and I'll be trying to push that further next season no matter what is going on.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 03 May 2014 20:11

OUT. With the cost of getting there each week (from Kent/Gloucester) and the fact I now work 2 out of 3 Saturdays it's rather a lot of money for something I can't use every week. Had a season ticket for the last 3 seasons and don't really want to give it up, but it's probably for the best for now. Will still come to games when I can.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 03 May 2014 20:39

Meh might as well.....

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 03 May 2014 20:39

Schards#2 As things currently stand, next season is likely to be the most challanging the club has faced for over a decade. With an absent owner and the likelyhood of a takeover hugely diminished by todays outcome, there is likely to be a large exodus of players and the ongoing directionless drift that having an owner who doesn't give a toss ensures.

Absolutely agree with the perspective and sentiment, Shards. The next year, blimey, even the next four months, could see a very different RFC 1871.

I was a ST for bloomin' years - even when living in Leeds/Bradford - because I'm firmly in the "one club for life" bracket. If I was a current "plastic" I'd actually look at the away days and derbies next season and think: "That's quite tasty...."

But, sadly, there are too many nuclear families who find spaffing 50 squid a head on a day of second rate footy hard to rationalise.

The Spazzclappers are welcome to come and support when times are good - but I fear the summer is going to be very bad and I hope the young'uns all step up next season for a year of middle table mediocrity.

My horizon is that I hope there is a RFC1871 come Christmas.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 03 May 2014 20:49

Sebastian People who support football teams are tiresome morons who never grew up and got a proper hobby.

:arrow: AE ;)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 May 2014 20:51

Schards#2 As things currently stand, next season is likely to be the most challanging the club has faced for over a decade. With an absent owner and the likelyhood of a takeover hugely diminished by todays outcome, there is likely to be a large exodus of players and the ongoing directionless drift that having an owner who doesn't give a toss ensures.

In the circumstances, i'm dissapointed to hear fan after fan announcing that they won't be renewing their season ticket/won't be going to games next season like it's some sort of badge of honour. As fans, we've had a decade of either being in the premiership or challanging for the premiership. It's easy to support a club in these circumstances, it's unlikely to be so easy next year.

So, to quote Delia, come on, lets be havin' you. If your a supporter of this club, give it your support when it needs it most, stand up and be counted and commit yourself to next season. It's going to be tough but Sir John and the club needs your support like never before this century.

Obv's, It's your money and your choice but I would urge you all to stand up and be counted and back the club in its hour of need.

I will support the club and team but not 'Sir'.

His gullible fan club will close their eyes, block their ears and keep singing his name regardless of reality, however..........

He completely screwed up the sale of the club and left us in the current disturbing predicament. That is an indisputable fact, yet strangely many of his fans remain in denial.

He claims he is in charge of the day to day running of the club but, in reality, as a minority shareholder will have little say when it comes to the big decisions. Is he staying on because he cares or is he staying on in the hope that he can still get something for his remaining minority share holding, which I suspect currently is close to being worth the square root of FA?

Had he delivered on his very clear undertaking to provide transfer funding in the January window, there is a very high likelihood that tonight we would be preparing for the playoffs - a bit more strength in depth would surely have given us that extra point and couple of goals that were needed. However, not for the first time, his walking wasn't up to the talking. Yet still his loyal subjects sing his name and massage his ego! :roll:

Kevin Dillon worked for the man and was very clear in his verdict tonight, we failed because of lack of proper, realistic, investment in the squad. The irony is that, as a consequence of that failure to invest and the team missing out on the playoffs, Madejski's chances of selling the club and the value of his shareholding will be further diminished.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 03 May 2014 20:54

Sebastian In all seriousness apart from cash I really don't think we make much of a difference. Teams always say we're important but surely they're just told to say that by the marketing guys so we spend our cash and keep going?

Not sure, although it must be more attractive for a player with two offers on the table to come to a club where he knows there will be a decent atmosphere? I remember Nicky Shorey at a STAR forum saying how players don't necessarily notice what type of noise is being made as long as there is some.

I'm sure it's only a marginal factor but if it does add an extra 1% then it can only be a good thing.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 03 May 2014 20:56

I tell myself every day that I could only support one team through thick or thin and that, of course, is Reading. :)

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 May 2014 21:02

Winnershroyal I am renewing, was going to either way.

I do fear administration though, a 10 or 15 point deduction is heading our way, and sooner than most think.

Loads of people were talking about administration at today's game. Is that a real threat?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 May 2014 21:02

Sebastian In all seriousness apart from cash I really don't think we make much of a difference. Teams always say we're important but surely they're just told to say that by the marketing guys so we spend our cash and keep going?

Fans can tip the scales in one direction or another when things are in balance. Pretty clear the players want noisy support from quite a few games this season. And it's also clear when they've sometimes got it and it's helped with the performance.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 May 2014 21:03

Fans were gr8 today. We need more of that.

116 posts