No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 179
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: New captain?

by sandman » 08 May 2014 10:04

Nothing wrong with an old school centre back in any team. Some of you need to realise that popping it around your own half for 30 minutes is not the only way to play.

Look at some of the bigger teams in the world over the last 5 or so years. The likes of Puyol, Sergio Ramos, (hate to mention him but) Terry and Vidic although good footballers all have a big element of old school about them. IMO not having one is one of the main reasons Arsenal haven't won anything for almost 10 years.

In short, you still need an Alex Pearce in the team and it just so happens he's an educated bloke who speaks well off the pitch.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 08 May 2014 12:20

Whilst Pearce clearly he has the attributes to be a good captain, he needs to work on his football ability first so as not to be a total embarrassment of a defender.

For that reason I'd go for Williams.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 May 2014 12:25

sandman Nothing wrong with an old school centre back in any team. Some of you need to realise that popping it around your own half for 30 minutes is not the only way to play.

Look at some of the bigger teams in the world over the last 5 or so years. The likes of Puyol, Sergio Ramos, (hate to mention him but) Terry and Vidic although good footballers all have a big element of old school about them. IMO not having one is one of the main reasons Arsenal haven't won anything for almost 10 years.

In short, you still need an Alex Pearce in the team and it just so happens he's an educated bloke who speaks well off the pitch.

Pearce always looks to me to be a player who is well aware of his limitations and tries to work around them as best he can. He does try to pass the ball, but he knows he's a bit clumsy and one footed, so keeps it safe & simple. If it's not safe, he hoofs it.

His passing isn't a big weakness, though it could certainly be better. His weaknesses are getting headed clearances to go to his own players, being one paced (slow) and not having a great deal of poise. If I was his manager, I'd get him in some sort of ballet or dance class immediately to try to give him a bit more balance and delicacy on his feet.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 08 May 2014 15:38

It has to be someone that puts in 100% every game as they have to lead by example.
Pearce and Williams fit this mould. Not a half arsed player like the Russian lump who only turns it on every now and then.

However knowing Adkins he will probably give it to to Drenthe :roll:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 08 May 2014 15:54

SHORT AND CURLY It has to be someone that puts in 100% every game as they have to lead by example.
Pearce and Williams fit this mould. Not a half arsed player like the Russian lump who only turns it on every now and then.

i suggest you dont know nigel very well

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 08 May 2014 16:21

yappy So now Jobi has gone, who would you like to see as the next captain? Obviously there are going to be a few ins and outs (mainly outs) over the course of the summer, but out of the existing squad, who would you like to see take the armband?

Only one choice for me:

You do know that the person you pick generally has to start every game?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 May 2014 16:35

melonhead
SHORT AND CURLY It has to be someone that puts in 100% every game as they have to lead by example.

i suggest you dont know nigel very well

Yeah it's not like Nigel to give the captaincy to a trouble making midfielder, oh wait...

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 09 May 2014 03:47

PieEater Whilst Pearce clearly he has the attributes to be a good captain, he needs to work on his football ability first so as not to be a total embarrassment of a defender.

For that reason I'd go for Williams.

Not saying you're neceisarily wrong, but a shitty midfield has contributed to his poor performances. Hope Akpan's hardly been the defensive midfielder we've needed, and McCleary's not the defender that Kebe was.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 09 May 2014 09:23

Capt. - Gunter

Vice - Karacan

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 May 2014 09:25

Extended-Phenotype
yappy So now Jobi has gone, who would you like to see as the next captain? Obviously there are going to be a few ins and outs (mainly outs) over the course of the summer, but out of the existing squad, who would you like to see take the armband?

Only one choice for me:

You do know that the person you pick generally has to start every game?

Makes Pearce the obvious choice then.
Missed 1 game in the last 2 Championship seasons.....

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 09 May 2014 10:25

I'm curious, which match did he miss this season?

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 09 May 2014 11:45

Only games he didn't play in were Peterborough and QPR at home

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 09 May 2014 12:28

If he can stay injury free them Karacan may be ideally placed in the middle as the defence have enough work to do trying to keep a clean sheet and a midfielder should be able to dictate the direction of play - whether we defend or push forward as a team usually relies on the midfield as defenders should be defending at all times and strikers attacking most of the time.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 09 May 2014 13:00

MmmMonsterMunch Although I just said Pearce for VC, I don't actually think Pearce & Morrison are good enough players (yet) to be captains.

Obvious choices are Guthrie, Gunter, Williams & McCleary.

It's not about being a good enough player, it's about being able to lead the team and inspire them. Stuart Pearce wasn't the best of his generation was he? But he was a damn fine captain!

Alex Pearce for me 100%.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 09 May 2014 13:02

Nameless

Makes Pearce a regular starter. Doesn't necessarily make Pearce a good footballer. Who was he getting selected ahead of?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 May 2014 13:04

Extended-Phenotype
Nameless

Makes Pearce a regular starter. Doesn't necessarily make Pearce a good footballer. Who was he getting selected ahead of?

Whoa, there go those goalposts !

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 09 May 2014 13:37

Nameless
Extended-Phenotype
Nameless

They were your goalposts.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 09 May 2014 13:52

Tilehurstsouthbank
MmmMonsterMunch Although I just said Pearce for VC, I don't actually think Pearce & Morrison are good enough players (yet) to be captains.

Obvious choices are Guthrie, Gunter, Williams & McCleary.

It's not about being a good enough player, it's about being able to lead the team and inspire them. Stuart Pearce wasn't the best of his generation was he? But he was a damn fine captain!

Alex Pearce for me 100%.

The tackle he made in front of the goal in the first half against Burnley just as they were about to score was brilliant... I was sat behind the goal at that end and I really thought that was it. Pearce came from nowhere to make the tackle... It actually made me think of the old 3 lions song and 'that tackle by Moore' etc.. I really hoped it would be a pivotal moment... (but it wasn't)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 May 2014 13:59

Extended-Phenotype
Nameless
Extended-Phenotype Makes Pearce a regular starter. Doesn't necessarily make Pearce a good footballer. Who was he getting selected ahead of?

They were your goalposts.

On the basis that you discounted Pearce because he isn't a regular starter I suggest the goalposts were bought for you by your parents and sit firmly in your own back yard !!
Take some responsibility for your opinions man !!

trueroyal1871

by trueroyal1871 » 09 May 2014 14:50

My choice would be Danny Williams because he is very well respected by the fans, players and management team at the club. I think Gunter wouldn't be a bad choice either and Karacan would make a good vice captain.