Adkins popularity?

152 posts
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: Adkins popularity?

by WoodleyRoyal » 05 Jul 2014 21:58

old woman

by old woman » 07 Jul 2014 09:33

Elm Park Kid
For me though he'll always be the guy that replaced McDermott and because of that I don't think i'll ever really like him. I know that's not fair but that's how it is.

Sorry but this is how I feel as well. Feel he could have done more to keep us in Premiership as well ie no subs at Norwich

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 07 Jul 2014 12:42

Norfolk Royal Can't help noticing on the forum people praising Adkins for his apparent even handed attitude and dignity during the recent turbulent period with regards to the club's ownership.

It would have been characteristic of other managers, would it not, to throw the toys out, demand a move, resign, sound off in the press, etc, etc?

Save for a few guarded comments there has been none of that reported.

I was wondering if people thought this has increased the manager's popularity from a probably reasonable level in any case to a position where most fans back him. I'm pretty impressed with him for one and hope he gets a chance this season to get in some new players and create a team in his own image.

As he's well aware he's curently stealing a living I doubt he'd want to do anything to jeopardise that

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Jul 2014 13:38

Royal Ginger I'm interested in what Floyd has to say on the issue.

Hi RG, I've been on holiday for 2 weeks so sorry for delay in my reply, I realise how important my input is on here.

Maguire He's a bellend and last year's offering was terrible. He had players on enormous wages and failed to get the best out of pretty much all of them.

I don't buy this "he's been so dignified" about the takeover either. He's probably getting paid a pretty penny to manage the first team - what's he going to do, stage a protest in the car park? I'd keep my head down and shut up too.

THAT SAID, I felt that he would be a success at the club so they've got to stand behind him now. Some continuity in these uncertain times is important. Another season like last one and he can pack his bags though, we were dreadful.

Yeah Maguire has pretty much nailed it for me. LOL that he somehow deserves some credit for "being dignified" :|

EarleyRoyal16

by EarleyRoyal16 » 07 Jul 2014 19:49

old woman
Elm Park Kid
For me though he'll always be the guy that replaced McDermott and because of that I don't think i'll ever really like him. I know that's not fair but that's how it is.

Sorry but this is how I feel as well. Feel he could have done more to keep us in Premiership as well ie no subs at Norwich

"Could have done more to keep us in the Premiership"? It's your messiah Brian's fault that Nigel was in that position in the first place.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Jul 2014 20:07

EarleyRoyal16
old woman
Elm Park Kid

"Could have done more to keep us in the Premiership"? It's your messiah Brian's fault that Nigel was in that position in the first place.

By taking a team of average championship players to promotion beating teams with better players and bigger transfer budgets?

These things are never one person's fault. I'd even apply that to your favourite football visionary creosote Nige and his attempt at winning promotion last season.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 07 Jul 2014 22:08

EarleyRoyal16
old woman
Elm Park Kid

Come on EarleyRoyal16, offer something a bit better than that.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 07 Jul 2014 22:14

In all honesty, McDermott was miles ahead. He was popular, likeable, and didn't reel out a list of cliches in his press conference. Plus, he didn't drive fans away from the turnstiles.

Very near...far away

by Very near...far away » 08 Jul 2014 01:11

Mr.Swainey In all honesty, McDermott was miles ahead. He was popular, likeable, and didn't reel out a list of cliches in his press conference. Plus, he didn't drive fans away from the turnstiles.

This season he'll be in his car, driving the fans to the turnstiles- "Ey, come on luv we've gorra smashing game com in' up and Kingsley'll be there....."

Not sur it's legal, mind

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Jul 2014 08:09

Mr.Swainey In all honesty, McDermott was miles ahead. He was popular, likeable, and didn't reel out a list of cliches in his press conference. Plus, he didn't drive fans away from the turnstiles.
:shock: :shock:

Still I guess 'we move on'.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 08 Jul 2014 08:22

Driving himself out of the same job twice was a neat trick.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 08 Jul 2014 08:59

Here are the RFC managers in my time following the club. Ive listed them in order of personal preference *no homo*

1. Coppell
2. McDermott
3. McGhee
4. Evans
5. Pardew
6. Quinn/Gooding
7. Branfoot
8. Porterfield
9. Bullivant
10. Rodgers
11. Burns
12. Adkins

Adkins is about as popular as AIDS in a convent. A complete Bell End of a man who has had one of the best squads in the clubs history and failed to deliver either results or entertainment. He's at least part of the reason why I'm not renewing my ST for the 1st time in 25 years.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 08 Jul 2014 10:32

One of the best squads in this clubs history isn't much use if they are all injured or the chairman won't let them play.

EarleyRoyal16

by EarleyRoyal16 » 08 Jul 2014 10:37

Brian was probably a more likeable person but we weren't going to go any further as a club under his leadership, we're in the right hands in the long term under Adkins, as he will prove this season now that he'll have a backing.

Adkins didn't even do bad last season considering the broken promises and injuries etc, and his ability to see a good player and know when to use them is shown in the emergence of Obita, Hector and Taylor as frequent first team players, and the only player he signed on his own influence was Danny Williams and he was one of our best last season also. He's also brought the best out of McCleary, Pogrebnyak and Gunter. Good manager, needs time and backing.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 08 Jul 2014 10:57

Tony Le Mesmer Here are the RFC managers in my time following the club. Ive listed them in order of personal preference *no homo*

1. Coppell
2. McDermott
3. McGhee
4. Evans
5. Pardew
6. Quinn/Gooding
7. Branfoot
8. Porterfield
9. Bullivant
10. Rodgers
11. Burns
12. Adkins

Adkins is about as popular as AIDS in a convent. A complete Bell End of a man who has had one of the best squads in the clubs history and failed to deliver either results or entertainment. He's at least part of the reason why I'm not renewing my ST for the 1st time in 25 years.

Agreed massively

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 08 Jul 2014 10:57

Extended-Phenotype One of the best squads in this clubs history isn't much use if they are all injured or the chairman won't let them play.

If you buys crocks, you can't moan about them being injured

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 08 Jul 2014 11:24

Equally you can't define them as "one of the clubs best squads" though.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 08 Jul 2014 11:46

For arguments sake:

Roberts > Pog
Le Fondre = Le Fondre
Hunt > Blackman

Leigertwood > Akpan/Williams*
Karacan > Guthrie
McAnuff (12/13) > McAnuff (13/14)/Drenthe*
Kebe < McCleary
HRK = HRK

Gorkss > Morrison
Harte < Obita
Pearce = Pearce
Cummings < Gunter

Feds = Feds
McCarthy = McCarthy

*Considering they hardly played

I make that McD 6, Adkins 3, with 5 ties. At the very least, I don’t think it would be at all accurate to suggest Adkins had a better squad. Seems strange that the same people arguing this case were ripping the piss out of the likes of Pog, Drenthe, Williams, Guthrie and McCleary on other threads.

Doesn’t seem like they really believe Adkins squad is very good at all.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 08 Jul 2014 11:58

Extended-Phenotype Equally you can't define them as "one of the clubs best squads" though.

All a matter of opinion. Mine is that last seasons squad was 2nd only to the 05-07 one. We've made the play-offs 4 times & won the league with far less. Try counting the international caps between them. Its a lot.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 08 Jul 2014 12:01

Coppell
McDermott
Quinn/Gooding
Pardew
Rodgers
Adkins
McGhee
Branfoot