Who Goes? McCarthy. Confimred.

299 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Who Goes Federici or McCarthy??

by sandman » 07 Aug 2014 09:19

Haven't you heard? Ever since Hector had 6 months there the Scottish League is a top class competition.

Delboy

Alex McCarthy

by Delboy » 21 Aug 2014 08:07

In Times today , QPR preparing an offer!

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Alex McCarthy

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 21 Aug 2014 08:09

Small stands at the Loft. With MCarthy's kicking they're gonna lose a lot of footballs.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 21 Aug 2014 09:29

Would be a loss yes, but Federici is more than adequate in the Championship. If McCarthy is to progress then it has to be in the Premiership. £3m sounds fair, Hammond would know to put a decent sell on clause too.

Esteban

by Esteban » 21 Aug 2014 10:06

leww_rfc Would be a loss yes, but Federici is more than adequate in the Championship. If McCarthy is to progress then it has to be in the Premiership. £3m sounds fair, Hammond would know to put a decent sell on clause too.

Yep. Disappointing to see good young talent leave, but i want to see this club become more self-sustainable and sales like this are part of that process.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 21 Aug 2014 10:45

Does seem as though McCarthy's career has stalled a bit. £3M plus a sell-on would be pretty good business, as he is hardly likely to re-sign for us when his contract expires next summer.

The other interesting thing for me will be to see just how good Mikkel Andersen is. He's had 95 career starts on loan since 2008 and has yet to even get a sub app for us, yet he's still here. Someone must rate him. McCarthy has about 140-odd starts, and at 24 is almost exactly a year younger than MA, so we may well have a ready made replacement of, arguably, similar quality?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Aug 2014 10:48

More than happy with Anderson as number 1 and Feds on the bench.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 Aug 2014 11:09

strap Does seem as though McCarthy's career has stalled a bit. £3M plus a sell-on would be pretty good business, as he is hardly likely to re-sign for us when his contract expires next summer.

The other interesting thing for me will be to see just how good Mikkel Andersen is. He's had 95 career starts on loan since 2008 and has yet to even get a sub app for us, yet he's still here. Someone must rate him. McCarthy has about 140-odd starts, and at 24 is almost exactly a year younger than MA, so we may well have a ready made replacement of, arguably, similar quality?

Indeed we sold Hamer as we thought Anderson was the better prospect and he's turned out to be a very good goalkeeper at this level

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 21 Aug 2014 11:29

WoodleyRoyal
strap Does seem as though McCarthy's career has stalled a bit. £3M plus a sell-on would be pretty good business, as he is hardly likely to re-sign for us when his contract expires next summer.

Indeed we sold Hamer as we thought Anderson was the better prospect and he's turned out to be a very good goalkeeper at this level

Henly looks an even better prospect too. Give him another season and he'll be pushing Federici for the shirt.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 21 Aug 2014 12:13

Pepe the Horseman More than happy with Anderson as number 1 and Feds on the bench.

I'd be happy if Federici was sat in the stands, maybe then he can slag off the club again when he was dropped because he was making mistake after mistake (as per usual).

Re: McCarthy - good deal for the club as he only has one year left on his contract. Shame that he has left, but was always going to get a move to the Premier League because he is a capable, and likeable (not in Federici's case), keeper.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 Aug 2014 12:32

Mr.Swainey
Pepe the Horseman More than happy with Anderson as number 1 and Feds on the bench.

I'd be happy if Federici was sat in the stands, maybe then he can slag off the club again when he was dropped because he was making mistake after mistake (as per usual).

Re: McCarthy - good deal for the club as he only has one year left on his contract.Shame that he has left , but was always going to get a move to the Premier League because he is a capable, and likeable (not in Federici's case), keeper.

well, so much to pick at in just two sentences, i will go with what i have highlighted in bold.... he's still here :?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Aug 2014 13:21

Mr.Swainey

Re: McCarthy - good deal for the club as he only has one year left on his contract. Shame that he has left, but was always going to get a move to the Premier League because he is a capable, and likeable (not in Federici's case), keeper.

So. Much. Bitterness

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2014 18:01

No way QPR would sign McCarthy surely... he's not a massively over-priced and over-rated mercenary who'll do shit all for them.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Aug 2014 18:12

I don't think his career has stalled at all. He is an outstanding future England keeper & the only reason he isn't playing now is because of the club knowing he is going to be sold. All this stuff about his distribution is nit picking at best - he is one of the best shot stoppers I've ever seen & QPR are getting an absolute steal at £3m.

Probably the best business they've done since Fernandes came in.

I'm absolutely gutted but not surprised. Good luck to him. :(

I actually think the time is right for him personally to sign for a mid-lower end Prem club. Some regular starts & he'll be back in the England squad in no time.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Aug 2014 18:29

To say the his distribution issues are nit picking shows a complete lack of understanding of the qualities needed by the modern goalkeeper.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Aug 2014 18:33

sandman To say the his distribution issues are nit picking shows a complete lack of understanding of the qualities needed by the modern goalkeeper.

We'll agree to disagree on that one. Commanding the area & shot stopping are more important IMO. Far less prone to clangers than Fed as well. Even with standard saves at the near post he makes them look difficult.

I hope we are ensuring we get a massive sell on fee as he'll go for big bucks in a few years time.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 21 Aug 2014 21:14

MmmMonsterMunch
sandman To say the his distribution issues are nit picking shows a complete lack of understanding of the qualities needed by the modern goalkeeper.

We'll agree to disagree on that one. Commanding the area & shot stopping are more important IMO.

This.

People make out as if McCarthy kicks the ball out everytime, he doesn't, all players make mistakes and it takes time to eradicate those. I've seen plenty of keepers at the top level kick the ball out every now and again, some of the best around. There is a reason why McCarthy could be moving to the Premier League, and why Federici has never improved from his standing as an average Championship keeper.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Aug 2014 14:24

Ian Royal
Royal Lady McCarthy linked in move to Liverpool - more likely why he didn't play on Saturday than the Adkins preferred Feds reason....
I'm assuming this is a joke, even you aren't daft enough to genuinely think that a dodgy transfer rumour is a better explanation for why someone didn't play Saturday, but will play today. Surely.

May not be going to Liverpool but I think it's clear Feds is playing because McCarthy is almost certainly off this window... eh Ian?

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 22 Aug 2014 14:40

I'd agree that the two are linked but I'm not sure I'd want to hang my hat on which is the cause and which is the effect.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Aug 2014 14:45

What sort of hat you rocking, Moulders? I can see you in a trucker cap.

299 posts