Booing ALF

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
marcusopp

Booing ALF

by marcusopp » 23 Nov 2014 10:17

Just read this;
http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... ed-8155089
Cannot believe some 'fans' booed him during another inept defensive display on friday.
He quite clearly stated that he wanted to stay with us and that his daughter goes to school locally and he didn't want to up-root his family.
If we didn't sell him we'd have started the season on -10 points putting us second bottom in the table.
For me ALF is a Reading great. He's the type of player i love. Signed from Rotherham following decent spells at Rochdale and Stockport for £350000 then sold for £2.5M to save the club.
Shame more at the club don't share his honesty and put the club before their own selfish desires. Yes, resign please Adkins!

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Booing ALF

by Simon's Church » 23 Nov 2014 10:54

marcusopp For me ALF is a Reading great.

:|

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Nov 2014 11:08

Never thought much of him to be honest. Probably because I've always liked the more industrious pacy striker to the fox in the box, preferred Forster instead of Cureton for instance . Alf seemed to think he was better than he was and should have been a regular starter even though it was pretty obvious that when he did start he wasn't up to the level required to contribute beyond his ability in the 18 yard box.

Did he deserve to be booed? No. Does he deserve a standing ovation as someone who was forcibly walked out of the premises at gun point? No.

The 'never wanted to leave' part is a bit strange as he made several noises in the past about wanting to leave because he wasn't a regular starter.
Last edited by sandman on 23 Nov 2014 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 23 Nov 2014 13:17

I'd have applauded his name if he was there. I was never a huge fan (and also prefer the industrious types like Martin Butler, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Noel Hunt) but he scored some very important goals for us.

Ex-players who didn't bother when they played for us or gave us the finger deserve booing.
ALF made a few public comments that were probably best kept private, but he isn't boo-worthy.

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 23 Nov 2014 14:21

sandman Never thought much of him to be honest. Probably because I've always liked the more industrious pacy striker to the fox in the box, preferred Forster instead of Cureton for instance . Alf seemed to think he was better than he was and should have been a regular starter even though it was pretty obvious that when he did start he wasn't up to the level required to contribute beyond his ability in the 18 yard box.

Did he deserve to be booed? No. Does he deserve a standing ovation as someone who was forcibly walked out of the premises at gun point? No.

The 'never wanted to leave' part is a bit strange as he made several noises in the past about wanting to leave because he wasn't a regular starter.

Spot on.

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 23 Nov 2014 15:47

Didn't actually hear any booing myself but couldn't give 2 shits either way. We've always booed ex players and if it winds them up then good.

By the same token Id like to see him run over and flick the V's at us after scoring but fans are precious gimps just like the players these days

Faithful Son

by Faithful Son » 23 Nov 2014 16:43

Unbelievable Jeff
sandman Never thought much of him to be honest. Probably because I've always liked the more industrious pacy striker to the fox in the box, preferred Forster instead of Cureton for instance . Alf seemed to think he was better than he was and should have been a regular starter even though it was pretty obvious that when he did start he wasn't up to the level required to contribute beyond his ability in the 18 yard box.

Spot on.

+1

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 23 Nov 2014 19:29

I thought quite highly of him, but to be fair I probably thought he was better than he actually is when he was here. It was probably because I usually prefer goal poachers. To use your example I prefered Cureton over Forster. Also had a bit of a soft spot for him after randomly seeing him score 4 times for Rotherham vs Chelteham on FLS and thinking "We could do with signing him" and I followed his progress until we eventually did.

I think it was pretty harsh booing him, he brought the fans some good times. Though I guess it was just a minority that were booing and even then it was probably meant in a pretty light hearted way by most of them.

Not sure he ever said he wanted to leave either. He said he was happy at RFC but unsure of his future because of the ownership and financial uncertainty at the club (which also related to a contract issue), if I remember right? The fact he wasnt starting enough games may well have been a factor but he may have just been trying to provoke the managment into giving him more game time.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 23 Nov 2014 22:32

It was those 'Tadley Royals' lot in replica gear and baseball caps.

*shivers*

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 24 Nov 2014 08:34

His name was cheered when the team was announced (unlike Morrison) but once play started he was booed. For what it is worth that is the traditional reaction to a player who is appreciated as part of the booing is because of the fear of what he may do against us. I know it is a bit of a back-hand compliment but it does mean he matters.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 24 Nov 2014 10:01

Mr.Swainey It was those 'Tadley Royals' lot in replica gear and baseball caps.

*shivers*

My flag (partly) - I was stood nowhere near them - and I didn't boo Morro or Alfie :lol:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 24 Nov 2014 10:01

dizzynewheights Didn't actually hear any booing myself but couldn't give 2 shits either way. We've always booed ex players and if it winds them up then good.

By the same token Id like to see him run over and flick the V's at us after scoring but fans are precious gimps just like the players these days

^^this

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 24 Nov 2014 10:17

Will95

*shivers*

My flag (partly) - I was stood nowhere near them - and I didn't boo Morro or Alfie :lol:
That "Tadley Royals" on a St George's cross is your flag? Sure I've seen it at England games longer than your 19 years of age would suggest?

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 24 Nov 2014 10:19

Big Foot
Will95

*shivers*

That "Tadley Royals" on a St George's cross is your flag? Sure I've seen it at England games longer than your 19 years of age would suggest?

Only got it in the summer and it's been to Switzerland and Scotland + all the home games. There used to be another Tadley/Reading flag that used to be different, as well as a Tadley Chelsea flag.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 24 Nov 2014 10:31

Will95
Big Foot
Will95

Only got it in the summer and it's been to Switzerland and Scotland + all the home games. There used to be another Tadley/Reading flag that used to be different, as well as a Tadley Chelsea flag.

Here's what it looked like from the home end last Tuesday

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 24 Nov 2014 10:33

Good to see it from the home end, had a few Reading fans send us pictures of it from the England lower, nice to see it get noticed tbh!

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 24 Nov 2014 12:57

Didn't hear any booing from our fans, how precious

Maybe it was the home fans ALF

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 24 Nov 2014 13:26

Simon's Church
marcusopp For me ALF is a Reading great.

:|

Jesus! You're as bad as a Liverpool fan. A great?! Nothing like idolising someone who played for the club 5 minutes.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 24 Nov 2014 16:41

Boooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1