5%
Steve Clarke
20%

Total votes: 172
RG30
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Re-poll: Next Manager

by RG30 » 16 Dec 2014 01:38

First thing is that this is an attractive job for many out of work managers; good squad of players, Cat 1 academy, decent fan base and a good chance of achieving promotion in years to come.

Realistically, I think Steve Clarke could be a good fit. He lives locally (Farnborough) has a good pedigree as a coach and I imagine will feel he has a point to prove after his sacking from West Brom.

That aside, I do feel McDermott has unfinished business and assuming Hammond is having a big day in the appointment I can't believe he wouldn't consider him back. Completely in tune with club philosophy, has a proven track record at this level and will get this group performing again.

I'm not sure Dolan would want the job. He strikes me as very much low-key academy kind of guy happy to let others take the limelight.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Dec 2014 01:49

madstadblues Looking at the list of available managers is hardly inspiring and you have to hope there's some science behind the decision to sack Adkins

Just the fact that he's been utterly dire since the day he arrived. Why waste science on the blindingly obvious :|

madstadblues looking forward to the anti adkins brigade turning up in force to support the team Saturday :roll: [/b]

I am desperately trying to reschedule pre-Christmas in order to take my seat, if only to watch Nige's apologists desperate search for a new arse to inhabit...........................it could all get a bit messy in the East :?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Dec 2014 01:59

MmmMonsterMunch I reckon Sherwood would be a good fit for us.

There are a number I would go for who are not on that list but Sherwood appeals to me, too. He was shafted big time at Spurs having done a blinding job. Slightly concerned he might not do as well with a less talented squad.

Also impressed with OGS on SKY yesterday. Looks destined for a decent career in management.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 16 Dec 2014 06:44

It's a pretty uninspiring selection.

Last time it was anybody but DiCanio. This time, that is still true, but Pulis fills me with horror as well.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Dec 2014 07:17

MmmMonsterMunch Not keen on Hughton at all. Don't think he's proved much.

Huh?

And :shock: .

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Dec 2014 07:22

Woodcote Royal Also impressed with OGS on SKY yesterday. Looks destined for a decent career in management.

Get out of it, I said that yesterday. :|

We don't agree on ANYTHING.

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 16 Dec 2014 07:44

Out of the list, Hughton or Robinson. Clarke seems such a miserable fecker, I think he might be one of those people who tries to hide his teeth by never smiling.

For another left-field suggestion, how about Justin Edinburgh?

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 16 Dec 2014 08:18

I don't get this passion for Steve Clarke. What has he ever done to make anyone here think he can take the current crop of under performing players and get more out of them than Nigel Adkins did?

Does he have a history of success in the Championship?

We need someone who can drag us out of this mess and that person needs to have Championship management experience in my view.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 16 Dec 2014 08:19

RoyallyFcuked My guess is it will be Dolan as caretaker which will become permanent if he does well.

Don't think the club can afford to give a proven manager a decent contract anyway.

Exactly this! If we could afford it then Pulis or Clark for me, but I can't see a) us having the money to get them, or b) them wanting to come here once they sit down with us and realise what little money they'll have to work with and what the club's (and unrealistic fanbase) expectations are...

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Dec 2014 08:29

Agreed with the general trend of the comments - first that we need a manager with proven experience and success at this level (Sherwood fails this test, and to an extent OGS would be a punt too); and second that I expect the club to promote from within and that we'll see Dolan given a shot. Which is pretty uninspiring. Adkins didn't have many fans, but he did have a footballing philosophy and from comments by Karacan had the significant backing of the players - I'd be dissapointed if Adkins had been sacked without a real strategy for the future.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Dec 2014 08:41

I'm a little surprised that no announcement was made at the same time yesterday as to a caretaker manager. Normally, you get a statement along the lines of "Eamon Dolan will take charge of team affairs for the game against Watford" tagged to the end of sacking statements.

We may get that today but it would suggest to me at least that they may already have someone lined up to come in by the weekend?

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 16 Dec 2014 08:45

Whats Michael Appleton up to these days?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 16 Dec 2014 08:49

Sanguine Agreed with the general trend of the comments - first that we need a manager with proven experience and success at this level (Sherwood fails this test, and to an extent OGS would be a punt too); and second that I expect the club to promote from within and that we'll see Dolan given a shot. Which is pretty uninspiring. Adkins didn't have many fans, but he did have a footballing philosophy and from comments by Karacan had the significant backing of the players - I'd be dissapointed if Adkins had been sacked without a real strategy for the future.

Why couldn't the appointment of Dolan be in line with a real strategy for the future? What if it's alwalys been the intention that he'd take charge at some point down the line?

Tbh I'd be a lot more 'inspired' to see a guy with an affinity for the club who has done an outstanding job at youth level take over this young group of players than someone like Hughton who is known for his mind numbingly negative brand of football.

Big name does not necessarily = good long term strategy

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 16 Dec 2014 08:50

Stranded I'm a little surprised that no announcement was made at the same time yesterday as to a caretaker manager. Normally, you get a statement along the lines of "Eamon Dolan will take charge of team affairs for the game against Watford" tagged to the end of sacking statements.

We may get that today but it would suggest to me at least that they may already have someone lined up to come in by the weekend?

Good point.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 16 Dec 2014 09:02

Winston Smith Whats Michael Appleton up to these days?

Not even funny.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 16 Dec 2014 09:06

Paul Clement, looking for first managers job, excellent connections.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 16 Dec 2014 09:08

Harpers So Solid Crew Paul Clement, looking for first managers job, excellent connections.

Ex loanee too wasn't he, from WBA, back in the day? Not experienced enough though.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 16 Dec 2014 09:24

SPARTA
Harpers So Solid Crew Paul Clement, looking for first managers job, excellent connections.

Ex loanee too wasn't he, from WBA, back in the day? Not experienced enough though.

Google him, was reading about him on Saturday, Chelsea, Real, with Ancelotti at both, has worked with youth teams with a few clubs before becoming assistant coach to first teams.

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 16 Dec 2014 09:27

What evidence is there to say that Dolan is the right fit ? He is Academy director and as far as I am aware doesn't manage the U18, U21 teams. Setting a strategy to get the best out of promising talent is different to being tactically on the money and a strong manager of senior pros. If he does get the job, what happens when the players let him down to and all the 'I want it now brigade' get on his back - we sack him and lose a really successful Academy director.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Dec 2014 09:38

SPARTA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Clement

Middlesborough appear to be doing alright with Karanka. Doubt Clement would come to a club like Reading anyway, he should be aiming higher than us.

222 posts