What would your ideal Reading F.C look like ?

madstadblues

What would your ideal Reading F.C look like ?

by madstadblues » 23 Jan 2015 09:02

I guess part of the beauty of the beautiful (in an ugly) way game is everybody has their own opinions. The club can't seem to do right for doing wrong in the eyes of many Nobbers. For my own puerile entertainment & a desire to observe all the contradictions & lack of reality I would be interested in seeing peoples views as to what our club should ideally look like and how far away these views are from where we are today.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: What would your ideal Reading F.C look like ?

by Snowball » 23 Jan 2015 09:11

Best we can ever hope for, in all probability, is to become a yo-yo club like WBA.

For me, if we are a solid, safe second-tier club, almost always challenging
for the POs, and maybe going up, staying up a while, that would do me

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 23 Jan 2015 09:32

Something like Swansea; (seemingly) well-run and playing attractive football with Siggy in a number 10 role. Or, Southampton with their focus on developing youth players.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jan 2015 09:56

If you could distill the essence of 2005-2007, that would be the utopian ideal.

I don't mean in terms of results but in having that spirit, that feeling that the club and the fans are in it together, being part of the community and the community being proud of the club, where you walk down Broad St and 75% of the football shirts you see being worn are Reading and there's a buzz about the next fixture.

I know I'm dreaming but at least we lived the dream for a couple of years.

More realistically, top end of the Championship, playing attractive football with a club run by decent people and a squad of players who aren't just here for the paycheck and aren't aloof with their heads stuck up their arses. The seeds are there.

Froomes

by Froomes » 23 Jan 2015 10:01

^^^ This ^^^

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Jan 2015 10:15

Froomes ^^^ This ^^^
+1

However, I would also like to see us as a club that spots young talent, brings though our own academy stars and maybe brings the best out of older players who may have been overlooked. No big name big pay players - I can't think of a time when one has worked out for us.

I'd also like to see the team focused once again on fitness, sure everyone is doing sports science these days, but lets do it better. If our players outperform the opposition over 95 minutes then we can once again capitalise in the final 10 minutes of play.

I would also like to see a more balanced squad, much like the 106 team - 3 strikers who can score and a youngster on the bench, a regular starting lineup and less dead wood.

Finally, transparency and honesty between the board, manager, players and fans with good communications - no more of these no news news stories. I think the club miss Andy West.

I want to see good exciting football, played the Reading way - to an extent, I don't care what division that's in. Some of the best games I remember witnessing were in the equivalent of League 1.... better to get relegated and come back up than just hang around relegation every season losing most of our games and playing dull football, Not that I ideally want either scenario!

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 23 Jan 2015 10:21

Forbury Lion
Froomes ^^^ This ^^^
+1

No big name big pay players - I can't think of a time when one has worked out for us.

Jason Roberts (at least in the short-term).

Portsmouth Royal

by Portsmouth Royal » 23 Jan 2015 11:18

I think a club that wobbles about between the top two tiers whilst bringing through our own players would feel to me to be a realistic ambition (as it should be for most tier 2 clubs I guess).

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 23 Jan 2015 11:42

One without the Thais' in charge.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 23 Jan 2015 11:44

I'd probably fold it and start again TBH.

Think your AFC Wimbledons, FC Uniteds, even Bournemouths of this world. Cherry pick the heritage you want to keep and get shot of the baggage.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 23 Jan 2015 11:46

Mr.Swainey One without the Thais' in charge.

Can you expand on this Mr S?

Is it "anything but the current regime" for you? Or is it a foreign owner you struggle with? Or perhaps you just feel the club should be run by the fans not a millionaire?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Jan 2015 12:02

From Despair To Where? If you could distill the essence of 2005-2007, that would be the utopian ideal.

I don't mean in terms of results but in having that spirit, that feeling that the club and the fans are in it together, being part of the community and the community being proud of the club, where you walk down Broad St and 75% of the football shirts you see being worn are Reading and there's a buzz about the next fixture.

More realistically, top end of the Championship, playing attractive football with a club run by decent people and a squad of players who aren't just here for the paycheck and aren't aloof with their heads stuck up their arses. The seeds are there.

Nice

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Jan 2015 12:03

Green
Think your AFC Wimbledons, FC Uniteds, even Bournemouths of this world. Cherry pick the heritage you want to keep and get shot of the baggage.

was the pun intended?

Chelsea/Royal

by Chelsea/Royal » 23 Jan 2015 12:22

Royalcop
Forbury Lion
Froomes ^^^ This ^^^
+1

No big name big pay players - I can't think of a time when one has worked out for us.

Jason Roberts (at least in the short-term).

We saw him at Showcase cinema when he had been out 'injured' for a while. My kids were very exited and went over to politely ask when he would be back as he was their favourite player. He was so rude to them. Arrogant cock.

To give you an idea how big a cock he is, he was wearing sunglasses.............in a cinema!

We don't need any big names, we need honest, decent championship/ League 1 players to re connect with the fans.

Bye bye Blackman.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Jan 2015 12:31

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 23 Jan 2015 12:46

Id like to see old fashioned tea urns used in the refreshment kiosks in the concourse with real mugs instead of paper cups.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2015 17:43

Madejski wouldn't have lost all his money and still would be in charge, perhaps with some additional investors. Pogrebnyak wouldn't be here, nor would Blackman or Akpan. McAnuff still would be. We'd have a safe standing section. Otherwise, largely the same.

scumbag

by scumbag » 23 Jan 2015 17:46

Chelsea/Royal
We saw him at Showcase cinema when he had been out 'injured' for a while. My kids were very exited and went over to politely ask when he would be back as he was their favourite player. He was so rude to them. Arrogant cock.

To give you an idea how big a cock he is, he was wearing sunglasses.............in a cinema!

We don't need any big names, we need honest, decent championship/ League 1 players to re connect with the fans.

Bye bye Blackman.

oxf*rd off newbie.

Your username makes me physically sick.

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 23 Jan 2015 17:50

From Despair To Where? If you could distill the essence of 2005-2007, that would be the utopian ideal.

This + good academy

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Jan 2015 22:30

Shaka in goal

Dave Kitson leading the line

And 9 Steve Sidwells