Which moment in RFC history do you wish you could erase?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Which moment in RFC history do you wish you could erase?

by tidus_mi2 » 06 Feb 2015 12:41

Don't get why people would erase the pitch invasion last season, unless you're one of the twats who ran onto the pitch and are embarrassed, it was oxf*rd hilarious.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 06 Feb 2015 12:50

Seeing as how the big ones have been mentioned, minor shout outs to:

- Barry Hunter smacking the ball against Tony Rougier's head at Cardiff.

- Ryan Bertard slicing a clearance early in the 2nd half against Villa in the Cup.

- Danny Murphy's goal at Portsmouth. Or Fulham's come-back for 2-0 down at the Etihad. FFS.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 06 Feb 2015 12:51

The formation of STAR

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Feb 2015 13:10

Robert Maxwell

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 06 Feb 2015 13:29

The composing of that totally crass Royals Anthem.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 06 Feb 2015 13:39

From Despair To Where?
The Real Sandhurst Royal Tommy Burns panic signings.

What a load of crap he bought in.

I'm not defending Burns here because Jimmy Mac aside, he bought garbage but he turned up 2 weeks before transfer deadline and inherited a godawful team. devoid of spirit and confidence that was already up to it's neck in shit, all thanks to us employing Bullivant, taking a month to do it and leaving him a week before the start of the season to plunder Barnet for talent (In fairness, Hodges and Primus were half decent). A decisive appointment early in the summer of 97 could have seen everything pan out so differently, especially considering the people showing an interest in the job.

To be fair to Burns, he also bought Forster, Murty and the all too early retired Casper. Sadly he also bought in Reilly, Sarr, Gurney, van der Kwaak, Kromheer, Scott, Crawford, Gray, Brayson, Howie, Fleck, Polston, Barras, Evers and McLaren.

Anyway, the opening 70 seconds of the second half of the Villa cup semi. I've seen us promoted plenty of times, indeed we've been promoted plenty of times, so no playoff win is going to really feel any different to me, but a major domestic cup semi final has only ever happened once in our history, 88 years ago. I'd wager nobody who posts on this board was around when that happened, so for us to f**k it up so royally having been 2-0 up at half time was utterly devastating. I cannot remember walking away from a football match so utterly disconsolate at full time. FFS, even in my lifetime we've seen Chesterfield and Wycombe reach FA Cup semi's from what are now League's 1 and 2, while I can remember Wolves, Oldham, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Palace, Sheffield Utd, Bolton, Watford, Millwall, West Brom, Barnsley and Cardiff from our own division getting to at least a semi-final. And then there's Bradford who got to the final of the League Cup two years ago, FFS even Rochdale have had a League Cup final appearance (and I don't care about how the cup was treated back then, their history books show a League Cup final appearance). So, surely it is our time soon?

The irony of all this is that I wouldn't have even been able to attend the semi final had we made it there as I was Best Man at my brother's wedding.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 06 Feb 2015 13:48

Stephen Hunt's vicious assault on that poor love Petr Cech.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 06 Feb 2015 13:49

higher In a parallel Archie`s penalty would have hit the back of the Wembley net grrr mutter :roll:

More that the ref thought the penalty was enough punishment and didn't give McAteer his second yellow card. Even with the miss they wouldn't have come back with 10 men.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 06 Feb 2015 13:56

North Somerset Royal The time when the club withdrew Steve Death's club house causing him to walk out after 12 years service and resulting in our having to borrow a young lad from Andover Town to go in goal against Swindon.

Off at a tangent here, but that reminds me of a story I read about Reading trying to sell a player - goalkeeper I think, who they forgot wasn't one of theirs but on loan from Arsenal. I think it might have been mentioned in the Robin Friday book.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Feb 2015 13:58

Nameless Kevin Doyle getting injured at Everton, and effectively ending his career in any meaningful sense

Releasing Charlie Austin

I don't think Doyle's injury had much impact on either his career or our success. Lita flourished in his absence, and Doyle had two very good seasons on his return (one in the Championship with us, one in the PL with Wolves). His poor form the following season was, in my opinion, mostly the result of losing three of our four midfielders. The injuries to Convey, Little and Sonko were more important - and on that note, I'd erase Convey's training ground injury, which really did destroy his career.

Austin, on the other hand, is a great shout. I'd go one further and say we should have hired Geoff Warner earlier so the Academy's development had started earlier. Then we should have set up a small training centre in East Anglia - the money raised from the sale of Connor Wickham would probably have paid for its operation.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Feb 2015 14:14

It's founding back in 1871.

Royal_Delight
Location: In Madejski's Mansion counting the fans' season ticket money

by Royal_Delight » 06 Feb 2015 14:16

That 7-4 disaster against Pompey...

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Feb 2015 14:40

Puma kit deal

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 06 Feb 2015 16:04

For me

Saturday 12th April 2008

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 06 Feb 2015 18:38

LUX
bcubed Not investing when in the Prem first time round

or the second time around.

anyway, this prolly.

Gotta be this

handbags_harris Anyway, the opening 70 seconds of the second half of the Villa cup semi. I've seen us promoted plenty of times, indeed we've been promoted plenty of times, so no playoff win is going to really feel any different to me, but a major domestic cup semi final has only ever happened once in our history, 88 years ago. I'd wager nobody who posts on this board was around when that happened, so for us to f**k it up so royally having been 2-0 up at half time was utterly devastating. I cannot remember walking away from a football match so utterly disconsolate at full time. FFS, even in my lifetime we've seen Chesterfield and Wycombe reach FA Cup semi's from what are now League's 1 and 2, while I can remember Wolves, Oldham, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Palace, Sheffield Utd, Bolton, Watford, Millwall, West Brom, Barnsley and Cardiff from our own division getting to at least a semi-final. And then there's Bradford who got to the final of the League Cup two years ago, FFS even Rochdale have had a League Cup final appearance (and I don't care about how the cup was treated back then, their history books show a League Cup final appearance). So, surely it is our time soon?

The irony of all this is that I wouldn't have even been able to attend the semi final had we made it there as I was Best Man at my brother's wedding.

Agree this game was pretty close though. I only watched it on TV but I remember how it felt. Leaving a game after seeing us blow a 2 goal lead is bad enough, but these circumstances made it all the more worse. Really hope our time of a cup semi final comes soon, maybe even this season. Which is why I'm hoping we get drawn against lower ranked team after beating Derby in the next round. Fingers crossed.

MeMeMe

by MeMeMe » 06 Feb 2015 19:36

harry Mark Reilly signing

Worst player I've seen in 42 years

+1 he was utter shyte

Reading6Barrow3

by Reading6Barrow3 » 06 Feb 2015 20:12

Some people never saw Malcolm Swain play then.

Losing to Bolton in the play off final was the worst I have ever felt at the end of a game. Having supported Reading since the late 60's, I really thought that was my one chance of seeing them play in the top flight. The team quickly broke up, and it didn't take long to get relegated.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 06 Feb 2015 20:56

Reading6Barrow3 Some people never saw Malcolm Swain play then.

Losing to Bolton in the play off final was the worst I have ever felt at the end of a game. Having supported Reading since the late 60's, I really thought that was my one chance of seeing them play in the top flight. The team quickly broke up, and it didn't take long to get relegated.

...or Martin James. Martin Hicks was Baresi-esque compared to him.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 06 Feb 2015 21:07

WoodleyRoyal Puma kit deal

We've got a good home kit this year, and the away kits have been decent for the last few.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 06 Feb 2015 21:34

TBM For me

Saturday 12th April 2008

That's a good shout.