Games You Wish You Hadn't Missed

Armadillo Roadkill

Re: Games You Wish You Hadn't Missed

by Armadillo Roadkill » 13 Feb 2015 23:36

Warfield North Stand Leicester (A) 06. Wasn't actually aware we could get promoted until that afternoon!!

Likewise. I remember listening on the radio, and wondering how did I miss that this game could be the promotion moment, At the final whistle, going downstairs, locating a bottle of Cava left over from Christmas and putting it in the freezer for an hour to get it cold. Thinking I had to do something to celebrate. Wife and (at that stage very young son) not really very excited by the enormity of the event Unable to really summon up the spirit of the occasion by myself in the kitchen in Tilehurst.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 14 Feb 2015 00:36

Y21 1st January 2007, Reading 6 - 0 West Ham. Owing to my daughter being born the day before, thought I should have been alright to go as it wasn't like she was the first born or anything, but apparently that isn't acceptable.

Still, at least the match wasn't particularly memorable.

:(

Anton's finest moment :lol:

Should have brought little'un along

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 14 Feb 2015 01:28

PO Final vs Swansea. Had a holiday booked which was sadly unchangeable.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 14 Feb 2015 01:42

Newport away 85 13th straight win went to watch darts in Slough!
Brighton home 94 went to a wedding with a girl I thought I loved turned out she didn't feel the same. Lesson learnt. Remember guys reading fc will always be there for you women come and go !

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Feb 2015 08:28

AthleticoSpizz v Aldershot 1990, end of an era

The only game I've left early, a bullet Martin Hicks header from the edge of the area to make it 3-0 to Aldershot and i'd seen enough.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Feb 2015 09:02

Was going to be in the states for Xmas/New Year so we lent our two STs to my
son's schoolfriend and his Dad (who had just won 6.5 Million on the lottery)

They were West Ham fans

Some kind of reverse karma

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 14 Feb 2015 09:14

I missed Leicester too for a couple of reasons:

1: Didn't think we'd get promoted
2: Couldn't find anyone to go with (had I known what was to ensure I would've just gone by myself, but it didn't cross my mind beforehand)

Very almost missed the 6-0 v West Ham. I was absolutely hanging after NYE, and as a programme seller at the time, I really couldn't be bothered to stand around shouting for 3 hours. Fortunately I got convinced to go by my Mum!

Almost didn't make Man Utd away in the FA Cup, 1-1 at Old Trafford.

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 14 Feb 2015 10:00

Brentford '02 - Watched the game at the Mad Stad which I guess was next best thing, but would rather have been at Griffin Park
Leicester '06 - Unable to make the game
Southampton '12 - Offered a ticket day before the game but was incredibly ill so had to watch it on tv. Could hardly move..... other than when the goals went in!

bagman

by bagman » 14 Feb 2015 10:42

Simod Cup Final. I was working in Brazil. Called home to get the result. My wife said sorry Luton won. Shit, got to go I said. Haven't finished she added. Luton one Reading four ! Smart arse !!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Feb 2015 11:33

urz13 PO Final vs Swansea. Had a holiday booked which was sadly unchangeable.

Now that's a game I wish I had missed!

Only one I wish i hadn't missed was Brentford away - couldn't get tickets I think

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 14 Feb 2015 14:16

Easy for me. Forest in 2012 when we won promotion and Derby in 2006 when we clinched the title. I wasn't at the Leicester game either but had no intention of going, it's rare I do away games.

Came very close to missing the play-off final against Swansea but despite the result glad I went just for the pre-match atmosphere in The Green Man and for the first 15 mins in the 2nd half. I tend to go to 1 or 2 England games at Wembley every season (though unlikely to this season) but I doubt the atmosphere for an England game will ever match those 15 mins. Also glad that my dad got the chance to see us at Wembley.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 14 Feb 2015 14:56

Apart from the various games in the last 27 years of following us I've missed due to illness (such as Fulham away last month, which really bugs me because I've STILL not been to Craven Cottage) my main 3 are:

Brentford (A) in 02. At Uni in Portsmouth and couldn't afford to get back. Ended up listening to it via my family in Reading placing their phone handset by the radio so I could listen to it on my mobile.....

WBA (A) (2010) The FA Cup replay....my family went to the game and I was supposed to be joining them, but got stuck at work and missed it!! Had to listen to the player's punch-up with the stewards on the interwebz......

Cardiff (A) Play-off Semi Final (2011) Yes I watched it on TV and woke a then heavily pregnant Mrs Kits up celebrating at the end....but I wish I had been there!

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 14 Feb 2015 15:01

Reading 7 - 1 Bolton.
I could have gone, I just couldn't be bothered as we'd done oxf*rd all all season and were generally playing like pilchards.

rfctabs

by rfctabs » 14 Feb 2015 19:19

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopi ... 27&start=0

Saturday 21st December 1985

Reading 4-3 Plymouth

I used to work at Avco Trust on Castle Street (the copper and black building just above the IDR), and I'd messed up a 4000 line Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet on the IBM PC-XT I used. I had to cut the sheet in half because there were too many rows and Lotus couldn't deal with the size. I managed to save the halved sheet under it's original file name.... (well I was only, er.., 26 :oops: ). So I had to go in on Saturday and re-key all the missing rows.

So I went in to the office on the Saturday, gutted because I couldn't go to the game vs. Plymouth. As a relative Reading newbie, only moving there in 1984, I'd been going to see the Royals all that year and was most annoyed that I couldn't go to the match. Nowadays I might have chosen to go to work on Sunday, but I was only a youth.

Anyway, I listened to Radio 210 (as was) all the time, so I had Graham Ledger (I think) for company all afternoon. As the match progressed he announced the Plymouth goals and it sounded like we were under the cosh somewhat. I was quite pleased, in fact, that I'd saved my £2.50 on the South Bank!

Oh me of little faith.

With 25 minutes left at 0-3 down Graham said we'd had a consolation goal of a penalty from Deano (RIP). Then Trevor the God Senior popped in a couple on 79 and 80. Mr Ledger thought he was being wound up by the guys at Elm Park as news came in. Finally, the 4th went in on 83 courtesy of Kevin Bremner and I waited for the final whistle.

I think that game typified our whole season. The opposition scoring wasn't a trigger for an "oh no - here we go again" response, but more like "how dare you score against us - we shall now have to give you a football lesson"

I have never been so hacked off over a win.

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 14 Feb 2015 23:13

From Despair To Where?
AthleticoSpizz v Aldershot 1990, end of an era

The only game I've left early, a bullet Martin Hicks header from the edge of the area to make it 3-0 to Aldershot and i'd seen enough.

You missed out goal then!

The day John Major came to power. All over a pretty sh1t day.

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 14 Feb 2015 23:15

I was working in Northampton and had the chance to go to the Liverpool FA Cup win and didn't. I was knackered and thought we would get tanked.

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 17 Feb 2015 13:46

Trevor Senior's last game (v Wigan?) - He ended up in goal before being carried from the pitch by fans. I was at home looking after my blind grandmother!

Boxing Day v Cardiff - Always wanted to see a keeper score. Sod's law it was the only home game I missed all season as I was at the in-laws for xmas.

Also 2 games before I started watching the Royals - The 4-3 comeback v Plymouth was a couple of months before my 1st game and I'd loved to have seen Friday's goal v Tranmere - apparently he dribbled round their whole side (twice) before hitting a bicycle kick from the edge of our own area!

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 17 Feb 2015 19:10

For me it's probably, Leicester away in 2006 although thankfully I was at the Derby home game a week later.

Also the Southampton away game in 2012 which I couldnt go to, but did see on TV. Same with the Cardiff away play off game in 2011.

And I'd probably say Brentford away in 2002, even though I was pretty young and had only seen us play a handful of times before this.

Kitsondinho WBA (A) (2010) The FA Cup replay....my family went to the game and I was supposed to be joining them, but got stuck at work and missed it!! Had to listen to the player's punch-up with the stewards on the interwebz......

This one was a brilliant night, our fans were superb and I remember our players coming over to clap us and about 3 of them tried to throw their shirts in the crowd but the stewards were trying to stop them!
God only knows why but they were doing their best to stop them even getting near us, pretty sure the players thrown shirts landed in the crowd except for one that I think got kind of deflected by a steward trying to block it and it landed right in front of the first row of seats and the steward tried to grab it but thankfully our fans got their first!

W@NKER! :arrow: W@NKER!! :arrow: W@NKER!!! :arrow:

Can't remember seeing a punch up but pretty sure the stewards were trying to man handle the players to stop them coming close and it pleased me to see that the players (and our fans) wern't having any of it, and rightly so. None of us were doing anything wrong and what was the problem with them coming over to give something back? It wasnt like the players were even within touching distance of the nearest fans. Ridiculous.

MeMeMe

by MeMeMe » 17 Feb 2015 20:17

Reading 3 Liverpool 1 ... daughters Birthday party !!. Somehow jelly and ice cream was no consolation !

harry
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Games You Wish You Had Missed

by harry » 18 Feb 2015 00:14

Wigan tonight. Leeds last week. :twisted: