How good/bad was Phil Parkinson?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

How good/bad was Phil Parkinson?

by Big Foot » 17 Feb 2015 10:49

As a relatively young supporter, I only really have 2 abiding memories of Parky in a Reading shirt. 1st one was him getting sent off at home to Cardiff in a game in the early 00s, where I remember him looking laboured and being a red card waiting to happen.

The 2nd was him getting the vital flick on from Adie Viveash's free kick to setup Cureton for one of the most important goals in this club's history

I've seen a mixed response with regards to Parky's legend status and the spazfest that awaits, which I suspect will largely be instigated by fans even younger than me who would've only seen Parky at the Mad Stad when he was managing Charlton back in 2009, nevermind in a Reading shirt :roll:

So, with that in mind - what are your memories of Parky? True club legend? Just an average player who gave 150% consistently for years? Best of a bad bunch during some of the worst times of the last 20-25 years? Over-rated?

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How good/bad was Phil Parkinson?

by The Rouge » 17 Feb 2015 10:52

He certainly was only average at certain times of his career but when at his best alongside Mick Gooding he was sensational really.

Slinky
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Slinky » 17 Feb 2015 10:53

Great memories of Parky. Not the most technically gifted but you're right, gave it his all every game. Played for the team, drove the team on, won key battles in centre of park, did what he was there for and let others around him control the playmaking. Legend in my eyes.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Feb 2015 10:56

Shoving Ray Houghton off the ball to drill in a 25 yarder into the roof of the match against Mark McGhee's Wolves under the floodlights at Elm Park. You literally don't get any better than that as a Reading supporter. Sometimes even now I find myself still celebrating that goal during absent-minded moments. Means I always tend to get a seat to myself on the bus.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Feb 2015 11:01

My abiding thoughts on Parky is that every season from 1997 onwards he was earmarked as being the weak link or it being a season too far for him and every time, he stepped up a gear and was one of the most consistantly good performers.

Not a technically gifted player by any means but a great captain who lead by example with grit, determination and fight and an absolute gent off the pitch

el_presidente

by el_presidente » 17 Feb 2015 11:05

He did struggle when Burns decided to play him at centre back for a few games.

He once gave me free tickets outside Gigg Lane.

Sprinted from the tunnel to the centre circle every time when the teams came out, always got the fans going. Not sure how he would cope with the current flag waving procession.

whereskay

by whereskay » 17 Feb 2015 11:11

Bradford fan here in peace!

Just been have a nosey through your message board and seem quite a reasonable bunch compared to most message boards. Really looking forward to this game now, great chance for either team to get to Wembley. Very rare both teams are very happy with the way the draw came out.

Just wondered why if Parky is such a ledge at your place and he's done such a magnificant job with us why he never really seems to get mentioned when the managers jobs comes up with you lot?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 17 Feb 2015 11:23

Parky wasn't the most gifted of footballers; no silky passing or mazy runs. BUT at a time when our club was in turmoil he gave everything to the shirt - it meant everything to him and he put himself on the line time and time again when more gifted players hid or stuffed up their careers. He epitomised everything that as a fan you wanted in the players out on the pitch, and the Parkinson's chant that Bradford fans will hear from the Reading fans at. Valley Parade next month will be a heartfelt appreciation of one of our greatest servants.

On a personal note, Phil also supported HNA? Supporter nights, coming along to functions and the like, and is a thoroughly nice bloke, to the extent that before Reading played Stoke on a Sunday as the last game of a season a number of Years ago, a load of us went to Colchester to watch Parky's Col U play QPR.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Feb 2015 11:23

Parky was the absolute definition of the midfield destroyer. Ran all day, went in hard and won the ball. Some will probably say he was a thug, but mostly i think he tried to go hard but fair. Sometimes he was late, but that's the nature of that game.

I don't think he'd do as well now.

He wasn't cultured but he could still pass, cross and shoot when he had to. Scored a couple of cracking goals.

I never saw him in the McGhee years, but at a time when we were poor (compared to now) he'd lift the crowd and give you something to shout about. Seemed a bloody good bloke too.

He's a Legend, not for skill, but for graft, and rightly so.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Feb 2015 11:28

whereskay Bradford fan here in peace!

Just been have a nosey through your message board and seem quite a reasonable bunch compared to most message boards. Really looking forward to this game now, great chance for either team to get to Wembley. Very rare both teams are very happy with the way the draw came out.

Just wondered why if Parky is such a ledge at your place and he's done such a magnificant job with us why he never really seems to get mentioned when the managers jobs comes up with you lot?

He does on here!

Main reason is he's not really done it high enough. Good things with you an Colchester in League One (and Two?) But he failed in the Chump with Hull. We've just stayed too big for him so far. But if he can keep up the good work and show some ability at our level I'd expect him to come back at some point.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Feb 2015 11:32

Nearly as overrated as Graeme Murty, but much less of a pcunt.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 17 Feb 2015 11:47

One of my favourite Parky memories was in the Oxford 4-3 game in the pissing rain, he took off for a slide tackle somewhere on the edge of the centre circle, won the ball, and carried on sliding a good way towards the touch line in front of the East Stand - given the conditions it was the most perfect execution of a slide tackle and the distance covered in the slide was pretty cool too.

The opening day of the season in 01/02ish away to Blackpool, we won a corner early on in the game, I turned to Dad and said "we never score direct from corners, look how many we had last year and didn't score from" then bang, up popped Parky with a bullet header into the far corner.

The flick on for Curo's equaliser at Brentford is an obvious memory too.

As others have said, he was the player that every fan wants in their team - 110% effort every game, but he genuinely cared about the club and his relationship with the fans. Him and Adie Williams were my first proper Reading heroes as I grew up.

whereskay

by whereskay » 17 Feb 2015 11:51

Ian Royal
whereskay Bradford fan here in peace!

He does on here!

Main reason is he's not really done it high enough. Good things with you an Colchester in League One (and Two?) But he failed in the Chump with Hull. We've just stayed too big for him so far. But if he can keep up the good work and show some ability at our level I'd expect him to come back at some point.

For me he could have the job for life at city for what he's done with us over the last 4 years!! 8th longest serving manager in the country now and is absolute class in all aspects (away from games and at games). A few morans at our place were calling for his head 3/4 month ago but what we have now compared to what we had when he took over is unrecognisable!

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 17 Feb 2015 11:53

he wasn't a great player,but he played great

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 17 Feb 2015 12:48

floyd__streete Shoving Ray Houghton off the ball to drill in a 25 yarder into the roof of the match against Mark McGhee's Wolves under the floodlights at Elm Park. You literally don't get any better than that as a Reading supporter. Sometimes even now I find myself still celebrating that goal during absent-minded moments. Means I always tend to get a seat to myself on the bus.

One of my favourite goals. Is there a video of that anywhere?

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 17 Feb 2015 12:53

Top man was Parky. we were at Elm park, he hadn't long been a Reading player when he suffered a serious injury (Knee or ankle, I can't remember which). One game he came and stood on the Tilehurst end and chatted to the fans.

As for his ability as a player, see Jem Karacan, but less frequently injured!

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 17 Feb 2015 12:57

He is a total and utter legend in my eyes. I was 9 when he joined us and I remember being so impressed at the idea of a player who would run through a brick wall for his team. I loved watching him play and have so many special memories of Parky....not least him taking out Ruud Guillit in that Newcastle friendly!

However, looking back now I kind of know in my heart that he wasn't as gifted a player as I want him to be. He would often destroy the play and then lose the ball...especially towards the end...Nevertheless, because of when he signed for us and the impact he had on me as a young Royal, I'll always want him back here as our boss....although he doesn't have a great Championship record!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Feb 2015 13:22

Parky always gave a sh*t. This should of course be a pre-requisite and is no substitute for pure talent. But in recent years we've had the likes of Drenthe, Guthrie and (dare I say) Pog who have (at best) looked as if they're going through the motions. No wonder we hanker for players such as Phil Parkinson. Always had time for the fans too.....message for the current crop*, posing on Instagram is no subsitute for proper engagement with the people whose expenditure feeds your wage packets.

* mind you, the current crop are one victory in West Yorkshire away from being held in similar esteem to Parky :wink:

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 17 Feb 2015 13:28

In answer to BF

To sum him up, he was never the best player, but for a long time he was probably the first name on the team sheet. Mainly because he was captain, but he had no competition for that role. He was, in short, absolutely everything you wanted from a lower league footballer and represented everything that is missing from the clicheed modern footballer. He's the anti-Guthrie if you like

a) He was a great captain
b) He seemed to love the club and stayed here for ages
c) He was way more valuable to us than any other club
d) He was absolutely honest in what he said all day long - you could trust him.
e) He interacted with the fans, both during and outside the matches
f) He was utterly reliable, particularly in games against physical opponents

My most relevant memory of Parky was during a play off six pointer with Man City under Tommy Burns. By that point we'd collected a whole team of the worst type of mercernaries - lower league, possibly alcoholic, mercernaries. Of course, we were awful that day, but Parky was head, shoulders, chest, waist and hips above everybody - only he understood that the fans in the stadium that day really wanted to see a result, and he bust a gut to do it. Ive never met him personally but you hear nothing but good things about him.

For Visiting Bradford Fans

The reason he doesnt get mentioned in our managerial searches is because there is a feeling that he made a bit of a meal of his time at Hull and Charlton and there is still a bit of a feeling that he's a lower league manager; and that contradicts the feeling at the club for us to stay Championship or better. Saying that, I also saw a Colchester game (Away to Oldham, I believe) and he was really in the middle of a purple patch, so he can have a really positive affect on a club. Although, I really hope he gets nothing out of the QF game, Id like to see him have another crack at the Championship with Bradford. Because if he was just inexperienced before and is a proper championship manager now, we'll have him when Clarke leaves, thank you very much. He has to prove it though.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Feb 2015 13:32

^ the definitive contribution to this thread. Well said.