Watching the semi final on a ship

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Watching the semi final on a ship

by paddy20 » 29 Mar 2015 16:56

Cant believe that when I booked this trip in January I would need to worry. I've watched Reading for 50+ years and would say I have missed 5/6 home games. Also had an away season ticket when in the prem. Could not have believed I needed to check the dates of the semi finals at Wembley!

Anyway I'm looking for advice as to how I can watch it on the BBC whilst out at sea. I know the ship shows loads of premiership games but not terrestrial ones. I have my iPad and have access to Wi Fi. Really appreciate any advice from any techies out there. Cheers

EPR2.0

Re: Watching the semi final on a ship

by EPR2.0 » 29 Mar 2015 17:25

oof.

There will be a ton of streams available but as you probably know they can be dodgy at the best of times never mind over a high latency relatively low-bandwidth satellite internet connection.

However, if they show PL games live they will have a tracking sat TV system so your best bet is to get chatting to the bar / lounge staff who look like they're responsible for what goes on the TVs and see if they can get a BBC1 feed at the time of the game. Here is a list of satellites / frequencies that carry BBC1:

http://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/uk/BBC-One.html

Bear in mind that the game is up against Man City v Aston Villa.

philM

by philM » 29 Mar 2015 17:33

The BBC iPlayer app lets you stream live TV so if the ship have a wifi service that will be an option.

The big golf ball like object on ships usually contains the satellite connection hardware. Big problem may be speed due to bandwidth issues though. If you are close to land the signal will often flip to using a land based tower and then you will get similar speeds to home broadband.

You might have to use a lower resolution display mode but if there is enough bandwidth it will be possible.

EPR2.0

by EPR2.0 » 29 Mar 2015 17:41

philM The BBC iPlayer app lets you stream live TV so if the ship have a wifi service that will be an option.

The big golf ball like object on ships usually contains the satellite connection hardware. Big problem may be speed due to bandwidth issues though. If you are close to land the signal will often flip to using a land based tower and then you will get similar speeds to home broadband.

You might have to use a lower resolution display mode but if there is enough bandwidth it will be possible.

Yes - definitely worth being prepared for - but might be blocked by IP depending on the ISP / network provider the ship uses.

philM

by philM » 29 Mar 2015 17:46

EPR2.0
philM The BBC iPlayer app lets you stream live TV so if the ship have a wifi service that will be an option.

Yes - definitely worth being prepared for - but might be blocked by IP depending on the ISP / network provider the ship uses.

Just had a look at some cruise ship sites. Some of them charge up to £10/half hour for wi-fi so could get a bit expensive too!

6 Million Dollar Man

by 6 Million Dollar Man » 29 Mar 2015 19:33

I hate to dampen your mood further, but the Premier League game on at the same time is Chelsea v Man Utd, not Man City v Villa! So if the ship are showing football, you will have some stiff competition. Will the game not be streamed on the bbc website?

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 29 Mar 2015 19:40

Thanks for all the replies. Someone on the ship has already said they are Scheduling the Chelsea game. Someone mentioned 'Film on'. Anyone know anything about that?

ta

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 29 Mar 2015 20:27

The wifi on the 3 ships ive been on since ive had my iPad has all been terrible. It wasn't even close to getting Netflix to work so would doubt it'd work.

If they have premier games then in sure they could show the fa cup semi final.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 29 Mar 2015 21:34

Which line are you sailing with?

Emmer Green Royal

by Emmer Green Royal » 29 Mar 2015 22:01

[quote="paddy20"]Thanks for all the replies. Someone on the ship has already said they are Scheduling the Chelsea game. Someone mentioned 'Film on'. Anyone know anything about that?

ta[/quote]

filmon.com has links to all UK terrestrial TV and tends to work well (at least in Austria). No need to have a UK ISP, so it should work on a ship if you have the bandwidth.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 29 Mar 2015 22:17

But bear in mind if using that website on a iPad you'll have to download a browser that allows flash.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 29 Mar 2015 23:21

West Stand Man Which line are you sailing with?

Queen Elizabeth from Singapore. By the 10th will be in the Red sea area. Well my thoughts will be with you all - at least I will be back for the final. Have a great day everyone and lets hope relegation fears disappear soon. Off tomorrow. Come on U R's

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 30 Mar 2015 06:50

I'd be surprised if you weren't able to watch the game on a local tv channel? The Far East is, generally, mad about UK football so someone is likely to show it - I suppose it depends on which satellite system they use on the ship?

Have a great cruise!

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 30 Mar 2015 07:37

If you're in the Red Sea area then on satellite it will be on BeIn Sports 11 (or possibly 3 if 11 shows the Primmadonnaship game) with English commentary and analysis. If the ship has two decoders, or a slingbox, then it would be possible to show both at the same time on separate screens.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 30 Mar 2015 08:45

Thanks Mates. This is Hobnob at its best. Will try everything to try and see it with all the options suggested. Cheers

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 30 Mar 2015 08:52

Just to point out that you won't be able to watch BBC iPlayer abroad unless you have set up a UK proxy and/or have considerable IT skills.

If the ship doesn't show the game then your best bet is to get familiar with the dodgy feeds now.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Mar 2015 09:26

paddy20 Thanks for all the replies. Someone on the ship has already said they are Scheduling the Chelsea game. Someone mentioned 'Film on'. Anyone know anything about that?

ta

Use all the time.

Download the app onto your iPad and you can stream all free to air UK channels, no need for Flash either. Works a treat unless the wifi signal is slow then can freeze.

If you have the relevant connectors you can also stream it on to a tv if you have access to one.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 30 Mar 2015 09:40

Stranded
paddy20 Thanks for all the replies. Someone on the ship has already said they are Scheduling the Chelsea game. Someone mentioned 'Film on'. Anyone know anything about that?

ta

Use all the time.

Download the app onto your iPad and you can stream all free to air UK channels, no need for Flash either. Works a treat unless the wifi signal is slow then can freeze.

If you have the relevant connectors you can also stream it on to a tv if you have access to one.

Thanks for that. Am onto to it now

Elm Park

by Elm Park » 30 Mar 2015 10:14

I have a free app on my iPhone called TVCatchUp that shows BBC live, if the other suggestions don't work. You will still need sufficient bandwidth

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 30 Mar 2015 10:28

Might be an idea to get chatty with the crew on board and start hinting that you really want to see the game. I bet somewhere there will be quarters for the staff who'll no doubt have their own TVs or at least access to one in their leisure room whatever.

Probably not officially allowed but 'where there's a will' and all that :wink: