Summer Rebuild

1897 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Summer Rebuild

by Royal Rother » 04 May 2015 18:25

I wonder whether any other club would be prepared to make Jem an offer of over 1 year on a better package.

Might be wrong but I doubt it.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 04 May 2015 18:29

Dunno. Cash flush team coming up from L1 like MK Dons may be willing to take a punt on the injury front, but you're right, i can't see many established Championship sides with finely balanced finances coming in for him.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 04 May 2015 18:31

Ian Royal
kwik-silva What if he has another two years without making appearances in the double figures?

I'd probably offer a hefty paycut with good appearance fees for one year, with an automatic extension with a better base rate and lower appearance fees if he plays in 30 games, starting at least 10.

Half our current side probably have no idea Salako played for us let alone any contract wrangles stranded. There have been at least some triggered extensions since too...

Karacan was at the club when Salako was so there's a slight possibility but, who knows? It seems like most of those extensions are club options, not appearance based though.

Woodley-RFC

by Woodley-RFC » 04 May 2015 19:07

Karacan 1 year deal :( .....

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 04 May 2015 19:09

Woodley-RFC Karacan 1 year deal :( .....

What are you adding here?

Woodley-RFC

by Woodley-RFC » 04 May 2015 19:16

Royal Ginger

can't you read pal ? Karacan only be offered a 1 year deal
are you thick or what ginger

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 04 May 2015 19:31

He needs to get real - what club at championship level is going to offer a player who has played half a dozen games in 2 years more than a one year deal?

With the situation the club is in sentiment needs to go out of the window - the club has had three years of failure and a new direction is needed

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 04 May 2015 19:48

Hang on ...Hang on ... syntax like that makes me think Dave-Royal has a new name. Especially as Woodley-RFC has emerged after D-R's spat on May 3rd?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 May 2015 21:09

Pandoras Box

Hang on ...Hang on ... syntax like that makes me think Dave-Royal has a new name. Especially as Woodley-RFC has emerged after D-R's spat on May 3rd?

It's so distinctive a posting style, even I clocked it was dave immediately. And I'm normally oblivious to who's got a new username.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 05 May 2015 00:08

Woodley-RFC Karacan, Perace,Feds. have been offered new deal!!! :D
hope they sign soon

So if they've been offered maybe we can assume the others up for renewal haven't:
Andersen - maybe any offer is dependent on whether Feds signs
Kelly - doesn't leave a lot of experience/depth at FB so either we will make a signing there or we'll see more of the youngsters (Long/ Griffin/ Keown) as cover
Guthrie - no surprise
Travner - short term signing only
Knight - short term signing only
Edwards - we already know he's going
Yak - short term signing only

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 05 May 2015 00:58

Woodley-RFC
Royal Ginger

I believe that may have already been mentioned. I think your post may have been a little redundant. And i'm not your pal.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 05 May 2015 09:03

No offence to Jem, and I know he's popular amongst the supporters, but he's a very average midfielder who's had two career threatening injuries. If he doesn't feel valued after the club and fans sticking by him, then he never will. It's most likely more to do with not wanting to take as much of a pay-cut as he'll need to to stay. Personally I don't feel he'd be that big a loss.

<insert same> for Pearce.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 05 May 2015 09:10

Woodley-RFC are you thick or what ginger

Other users posting from this IP
Dave-Royal

:roll:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 May 2015 09:18

Cheers for that m8, don't think we'd have worked it out otherwise.

Darren Caskey's Dietician
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Darren Caskey's Dietician » 05 May 2015 09:25

So, a few thoughts on this summer, having taken some time to think it through.

For me, on the out of contract front, I would love to see us keep Karacan. I read his comments in the EP as being I want 2 years, which I can understand, he wants security.

If i was the club, I would put 2 offers on the table, a 1 year contract with better pay (than offer 2, not the PL wages he is on) with an option for a year 2, or a 2 year contract with lower wages and a bonus as you play scheme.

Feds is an interesting one. I love feds, and don't want to see him go, but at the same time, if I was the club I'd be pressing hard to resign Anderson.

If memory serves, didn't he do very well on a number of his loan moves, and win a couple of u20/u21 international awards? I recall a lot of previous talk about there not being much between his ability and McCarthy, and should feds leave, he is at the right age to step up as a long term option, which none of our other keepers are.

Pearce is one I'm most torn on. I like him, but he's slow. Our defence this year has been pretty shocking, an Pearce has been at fault several times. Like wise, he isn't the attacking threat Morro was at the other end of the pitch for corners, and that is something we are missing.

I'll be happy if he stays, but I cant help but feel he is one we could replace.

Personally, I'd also like to see us move for Mackie, whose passion was more evident than anyone else on the pitch, and challobah would also be a class loan signing.

Last summer, we had a lot of interest in Bamford and Wilson, both of whom we missed out on, and I really think had we had a goal scorer of either of their calibre, we would comfortably made the top half, as the rot wouldn't have set in the way it did, especially after we lost Murray.

A prolific goal scorer needs to be top of the list - be that a recognised name, or someone I've never heard of, or even a flop in the PL but could offer a lot at championship level, I really don't care, but for me, this is priority #1.

I agree with several other posters, I think unless we get those one or two spark players which suddenly make the team click, we have a 2 or 3 year rebuild ahead while we break our top academy talent, and move on some of the top earners, but I for one am optimistic.

And a comment for the older fans (and the 12 year old keyboard warriors) - I have no idea if he is any good, but for nostalgia could we also sign Jake Forster-Caskey please? Any player who has 2 club legends as fathers should be snapped up for the name alone!

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 05 May 2015 09:56

Andersen has looked very unconvincing. I would be a very concerned if we went into next season with him as number one.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 May 2015 10:29

The rebuild should focus on not blocking the path of Kuhl, Stacey, Fosu, Tshibola, Cooper et al with expensive signings or loanees.

They are the future and will come good given time.

We need to ensure the money is available to re-sign them on enhanced contracts asap and I would be pretty hacked off if we were not able to do so because a couple of Chelsea youngsters and a has-been or 2 had used up the budget.

We are not going up next season (you win nothing with kids) but the season after we should be real challengers and that can be achieved without bringing in loads of new players.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 May 2015 10:33

Royal Ginger Dunno. Cash flush team coming up from L1 like MK Dons may be willing to take a punt on the injury front, but you're right, i can't see many established Championship sides with finely balanced finances coming in for him.

2 year fitness / appearance based contract or a 1 year contract that gets an automatic extension if so many appearances are made?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 May 2015 10:41

I see there being two rebuilds happening at once

Short term signings - We need to strengthen the team for next season to try and get clear of relegation, It's too much of a step up for the academy players.
Long term signings/rebuild - The academy players such as Kuhl.

A few years back we had Karacan, Pearce, Sigurdsson and others breaking though from the academy, It seems there was a gap between this and the next bunch who appeared this year - Is there a missing year of academy players? Did we release them that year or something or do we tactically do this?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 May 2015 10:55

Not overly impressed with Karacan's comments. It's not as bad as Sidwell's "I've a family to feed" faux paux but to say he needs security when he's probably earned more than £1m from the club whilst not really kicking a ball for two years is taking the piss a little.

I can understand he wants a longer contract and to feel valued but if he hasn't felt valued by the support he's had from the fans and the club then he never will (unless love just means cash of course).

From the clubs point of view he's still a big gamble. I know his injuries were impact injuries but this time last year they thought he was going to be back around and about the start of the season. It took him forever to get back in contention after a couple of failed attempts. It's great that he's back and I'd love for him to stay and be the player he was starting to look to be under Adkins, but it needs him to put his money where his mouth is and take the gamble that he can prove his worth and earn a longer contract over the next 6-12 months.

1897 posts