Summer Rebuild

1897 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Summer Rebuild

by Ian Royal » 12 May 2015 13:30

Rumours in national media regarding small newly promoted PL teams = who's recently been relegated and out of contract... lets throw that shit and see if it sticks.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Summer Eddie Rebuild

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 12 May 2015 13:48

Eddie Howe might think Jem the right type of player, he gets a lot out of other not so good players, why not take Feds, Pearce, and Jem. No fees for any of them.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 12 May 2015 13:56

Low risk for Bournemouth/Watford.
Not a long deal needed for it to be favourable to what we can offer.
Low cost over a lot of other options.
A Prem move.

He'd be foolish to turn it down if he gets an offer.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 May 2015 14:06

Coppelled_Streets Sorry Jem but you're never a Premier League player, .

He's had two injury free seasons for us, and in those we had a playoff campaign and won the league with him playing well and being a big part of that. He's probably got what it takes to do a job for a bottom-half team.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 12 May 2015 14:17

SCIAG

He's had two injury free seasons for us, and in those we had a playoff campaign and won the league with him playing well and being a big part of that. He's probably got what it takes to do a job for a bottom-half team.

He was used in a hustle and bustle type roll, of which he stated he felt he had a lot more to offer and it did frustrate him a bit (McDermott era). Effective non-the-less, but we've still not seen what else he can offer. For me he's high energy but as not proven otherwise, he doesn't offer a great deal more. Perfect at this level though, for me anyway.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 May 2015 11:20

GetReading suggesting that SC will look at players who he knows well for a rebuild. Some quite fanciful no chance names in their list obviously, but there are a couple who might be realistic...

Scott Sinclair
Petr Cech
Gareth McAuley
Tal Ben Haim
Scott Parker
Carlton Cole
Robert Green
Jay Spearing
Jerome Thomas
Steven Reid
Matej Vydra
Liam Ridgewell

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 May 2015 12:03

Of that list:

Scott Sinclair - likely to have better options; WCBAP
Petr Cech - if Federici and Andersen both leave, he'd be good cover for Lincoln
Gareth McAuley - reasonably realistic, although old
Tal Ben Haim - rubbish
Scott Parker - under contract, can't see Fulham selling to a rival, WCBAP, not a position we should prioritise
Carlton Cole - decent Championship record, WCBAP, might have fitness issues
Robert Green -apparently wanted by Chelsea and Man City to help with home grown criteria. WCBAP.
Jay Spearing - worse than our current options, under contract
Jerome Thomas - the best suggestion yet. Getting on a bit though, and slightly worried about why he hasn't been loaned out...
Steven Reid - likely to retire
Matej Vydra - unlikely to be sold by the Pozzos after a good season.
Liam Ridgewell - designated player at the Portland Timbers so WCBAP. Possible loan in the off-season.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 May 2015 12:06

Coppelled_Streets
SCIAG

He was used in a hustle and bustle type roll, of which he stated he felt he had a lot more to offer and it did frustrate him a bit (McDermott era). Effective non-the-less, but we've still not seen what else he can offer. For me he's high energy but as not proven otherwise, he doesn't offer a great deal more. Perfect at this level though, for me anyway.

Agreed - Jem's style is well suited to the Championship but I doubt he has the capability to take the PL by storm. I think he could be offered the chance to be a squad player at a lower PL club and so he will have the choice of being a bench player at a team like Bournemouth - who will almost certainly get relegated again - or be a regular in a good Championship team. Personally I hope he stays.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 13 May 2015 13:12

SCIAG Of that list:

Scott Sinclair - likely to have better options; WCBAP
Petr Cech - if Federici and Andersen both leave, he'd be good cover for Lincoln
Gareth McAuley - reasonably realistic, although old
Tal Ben Haim - rubbish
Scott Parker - under contract, can't see Fulham selling to a rival, WCBAP, not a position we should prioritise
Carlton Cole - decent Championship record, WCBAP, might have fitness issues
Robert Green -apparently wanted by Chelsea and Man City to help with home grown criteria. WCBAP.
Jay Spearing - worse than our current options, under contract
Jerome Thomas - the best suggestion yet. Getting on a bit though, and slightly worried about why he hasn't been loaned out...
Steven Reid - likely to retire
Matej Vydra - unlikely to be sold by the Pozzos after a good season.
Liam Ridgewell - designated player at the Portland Timbers so WCBAP. Possible loan in the off-season.

Pretty good summary.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 May 2015 13:47

Cant really begin to express how utterly underwhelmed I am by the suggestion Clarke wants to bring in players he'sworked with already and particularly that list.

It just seems that there is nothing about Clarke's management approach that chimes with what I want to see at the club.

Now that's just paper talk, but when are we going to get a positive sign?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 13 May 2015 14:07

Ian Royal Cant really begin to express how utterly underwhelmed I am by the suggestion Clarke wants to bring in players he'sworked with already and particularly that list.

It just seems that there is nothing about Clarke's management approach that chimes with what I want to see at the club.

That list is just idle speculation by getreading and there is no suggestion Clarke is considering any of these. The list is pretty ridiculous to be honest - Cech?! You'r having a laff.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 13 May 2015 14:25

Petr Cech - as cover for Lincoln, LOL

mambo3

by mambo3 » 13 May 2015 15:02

He was used in a hustle and bustle type roll, of which he stated he felt he had a lot more to offer and it did frustrate him a bit (McDermott era). Effective non-the-less, but we've still not seen what else he can offer. For me he's high energy but as not proven otherwise, he doesn't offer a great deal more. Perfect at this level though, for me anyway.[/quote]

Agreed - Jem's style is well suited to the Championship but I doubt he has the capability to take the PL by storm. I think he could be offered the chance to be a squad player at a lower PL club and so he will have the choice of being a bench player at a team like Bournemouth - who will almost certainly get relegated again - or be a regular in a good Championship team. Personally I hope he stays.[/quote]

Jems propaganda machine is on full throttle, its almost laughable. Eddie Howe the rising Star of Managers is interested in any
Reading Player let alone Jem and Watford as well, both promoted Teams. See it to believe it.

janesdaddy

by janesdaddy » 13 May 2015 15:20

72 bus Petr Cech - as cover for Lincoln, LOL

At least he'd be familiar with the Madejski turf. :o

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 May 2015 15:56

Wahey! (kind of) :oops:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 May 2015 16:26

mambo3 Jems propaganda machine is on full throttle, its almost laughable. Eddie Howe the rising Star of Managers is interested in any
Reading Player let alone Jem and Watford as well, both promoted Teams. See it to believe it.

That was a thought I'd also had, that perhaps his agent is drumming up stories to try and force Reading's hand.
Last edited by tidus_mi2 on 13 May 2015 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 13 May 2015 16:32

Ian Royal Cant really begin to express how utterly underwhelmed I am by the suggestion Clarke wants to bring in players he'sworked with already and particularly that list.

Here you go:

+

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 13 May 2015 16:51

I think people may need to readjust their expectations a little:

Our current wage bill is probably unsustainable for club of Reading's means. So unless players like pog, mccleary, HRK, Gunter, williams go there will be very little to play with. It will just be a case of picking up lower league players looking for an opportunity or aging players hoping to get one or two last seasons at a 15-20k salary level before the retire. If Clarke can use his connections to get decent prospects on loan cheap I say do it. Ok, you're not building for the future but at least we'll stay in the championship and it'll give him a chance to bring in new players the following season once pog and co are out of contract.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 May 2015 17:20

Elm Park Kid I think people may need to readjust their expectations a little:

Our current wage bill is probably unsustainable for club of Reading's means. So unless players like pog, mccleary, HRK, Gunter, williams go there will be very little to play with. It will just be a case of picking up lower league players looking for an opportunity or aging players hoping to get one or two last seasons at a 15-20k salary level before the retire. If Clarke can use his connections to get decent prospects on loan cheap I say do it. Ok, you're not building for the future but at least we'll stay in the championship and it'll give him a chance to bring in new players the following season once pog and co are out of contract.

I doubt the club are stretched over Gunter and McCleary's wages or we wouldn't have extended their contracts, Williams is debatable but HRK and Pog are definitely on high figures.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 May 2015 17:51

Royalwaster

That list is just idle speculation by getreading and there is no suggestion Clarke is considering any of these. The list is pretty ridiculous to be honest - Cech?! You'r having a laff.

Yeah, that's why I said it's just paper talk.

1897 posts