League: 11th
FA Cup: 5th Round
League Cup: 4th Round

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Expectations for next season

by melonhead » 30 Apr 2015 12:16

depends -
total rebuild- all players on decent wages gone, kids and new players start the season- somewhere between bottom and midtable
sensible rebuild- get rid of the average higher paid dross, keep a strong spine, supplement with a few new players - somewhere between midtable and 6th
no rebuild - relegated

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 30 Apr 2015 12:37

If Clarke stays then relegation is the only outcome.

If Clarke goes in close-season and we appoint from within, (which really only means Dolan I guess), in good time to allow a full pre-season, then lower mid-table.

If Clarke goes part-way through pre-season, then it has to be assumed the pre-season will be disrupted, and any new manager will struggle to get us above anything other than a relegation scrap.

These 3 scenarios assume the Thai's maintain their current strategy of making no funding available for transfers. As evidenced by the last 2 windows, all signings have been funded by sales.

It is not going to be pretty viewing next season I'm afraid. We have seen our future played out by the owners at Bloomfield Road this season - we can all agree THAT wasn't pretty.

Following latest article in the Chronic, extract below -

Adam Federici, Jem Karacan and Alex Pearce – as well as one other unnamed senior player - will be given the chance to put pen to paper on a new deal that would keep them at the Madejski Stadium.
However, due to the club's current financial restrictions, it is believed that the terms of these contracts will be a lot lower than the money these players are currently on and it remains to be seen whether they'll accept the reduced terms.

it would appear the Thai's are NOT putting money into the club.
Last edited by strap on 30 Apr 2015 14:26, edited 1 time in total.

Duke the Dog2

by Duke the Dog2 » 30 Apr 2015 12:47

Expectation is low personally. I had hoped of more from Clarke this season but it's been really poor so far (not that it was great under Adkins).

I hope to see a fairly fundamental rebuilding of the team, but I don't think it will happen, so more of the same next season I fear.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Apr 2015 12:51

strap As evidenced by the last 2 windows, all signings have been funded by sales.

That was because of FFP restrictions. If we'd splashed out then we wouldn't have been able to sign anyone this summer.

Of course, that might have just been an excuse, but we can't know that yet.

I'm hoping for a fairly exciting mid-table campaign, maybe a flirtation with the playoffs. I don't think there's any real risk of relegation but there's a possibility if we don't start the season well.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 30 Apr 2015 13:52

strap If Clarke stays then relegation is the only outcome.

If Clarke goes in close-season and we appoint from within, (which really only means Dolan I guess), in good time to allow a full pre-season, then lower mid-table.

If Clarke goes part-way through pre-season, then it has to be assumed the pre-season will be disrupted, and any new manager will struggle to get us above anything other than a relegation scrap.

These 3 scenarios assume the Thai's maintain their current strategy of making no funding available for transfers. As evidenced by the last 2 windows, all signings have been funded by sales.

It is not going to be pretty viewing next season I'm afraid. We have seen our future played out by the owners at Bloomfield Road this season - we can all agree THAT wasn't pretty.

Amazing stuff :lol:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Apr 2015 14:08

League-7th ( narrowly miss out on playoffs due to a late Brighton goal)

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Apr 2015 14:25

I'm with SCIAG and the others in the small cautiously optimistic camp.

It could all go tits up but I'm not going to presume it will yet as there's far too many unknowns to come into play as yet but I'm not too disheartened at the thought of players leaving as I'm confident we can put together a decent Championship side with some clever wheeler-dealing.

Is Clarke the man to do that? I'm not sure but I like the cut of his gib and I'm certainly looking forward to finding out if he can back up his words (subject to the owners backing of course).

I'm expecting us to have quite an active summer and to finish somewhere between 8th-14th with a flirtation with the play offs until falling away after a poor Easter.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 30 Apr 2015 14:29

Silver Fox

I know! If we keep expectations at rock bottom, we might be pleasantly surprised by a 10th-placed finish nextg season! Under-promise and over-deliver my friend!! :wink:

Or am I being genuinely serious? We will know in 12 months time!

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 30 Apr 2015 14:30

I fear that we'll be in a genuine relegation scrap next season rather than the phony version we've had this one.
If we have a bad start then I can see Clarke gone by the end of September - if our Thai overlords don't get rid this summer that is. Can't realistically see anyone else doing any better though if he's forced to play the kids and whatever dross can be snapped up on a free.

Do hope I'm wrong.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 Apr 2015 16:41

I expect the team to start the season better organised than this season with some new signings in the team, I then expect the team to gradually improve as the season progresses with a view to challenging for promotion the season after. A comfortable mid table finish will suffice.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 30 Apr 2015 16:49

Following latest article in the Chronic, extract below -

Adam Federici, Jem Karacan and Alex Pearce – as well as one other unnamed senior player - will be given the chance to put pen to paper on a new deal that would keep them at the Madejski Stadium.
However, due to the club's current financial restrictions, it is believed that the terms of these contracts will be a lot lower than the money these players are currently on and it remains to be seen whether they'll accept the reduced terms.

it would appear the Thai's are NOT putting money into the club.

relegation from the prem means your players are left on more money than you can afford even with contracted reductions.
if you don't go back up, this needs sorting as those contracts come up
this is what is happening.
good.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 30 Apr 2015 16:50

Silver Fox

agreed :lol:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 30 Apr 2015 16:51

wingnut I fear that we'll be in a genuine relegation scrap next season rather than the phony version we've had this one.
If we have a bad start then I can see Clarke gone by the end of September - if our Thai overlords don't get rid this summer that is. Can't realistically see anyone else doing any better though if he's forced to play the kids and whatever dross can be snapped up on a free.

Do hope I'm wrong.

cheers mystic meg
not happening

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 30 Apr 2015 16:59

I fear another dismal season. WHEN EVER have Reading FC had an amazing transfer window. Don't get your hopes up people, we just need to hope like this year, there are going to be three teams worse than us.........

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 30 Apr 2015 17:16

Dave-Royal
percy_freeman I fear another dismal season. WHEN EVER have Reading FC had an amazing transfer window. Don't get your hopes up people, we just need to hope like this year, there are going to be three teams worse than us.........

WE are going La La !!!!!

Yes you are Dave.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Apr 2015 17:57

The last time I recall a manager saying 'we'll be nowhere near relegation next season' was, i think, Hughes at QPR. He was the sacked for them being in a relegation fight the next season, after more big money past it mercenaries were brought in and Redknapp took them down iirc.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 01 May 2015 00:32

I think with all of the impending changes to the roster we'll get off to a slow start. Then one of two things will happen. Either the team will gel, their form will improve and they'll end the season in comfortable mid-table obscurity or they'll be in the relegation battle to the last day of the season.

It will all depend on who we ship out and who, if anyone of note, gets brought in during the summer. One thing is certain too many players did not give the effort expected from highly paid professionals this past season. My main expectation is seeing that changed...

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 01 May 2015 08:37

Hopefully a mid-table finish with signs that we could challenge for promotion the following season. But at the moment my head is in League 1.