Early Expectations for 2015/16?

At this stage how do you expect us to perform in 2015/16?

Poll ended at 15 Jun 2015 13:36
1st - 6th
6%
7th - 12th
27%
13th - 18th
39%
19th - 24th
27%

Total votes: 179
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Early Expectations for 2015/16?

by John Smith » 01 Jun 2015 11:23

tidus_mi2
John Smith Hoping: relegation

Let's get it out the way and clear the decks, storm League 1 and use the momentum to go again in the Championship.

Expectations: 17th

Why does everyone think relegation would be great and we'd storm League One? Big clubs sure, they eventually find their way out of it but we're not a big club, if we get relegated our attendances will plummet, I doubt we'd be able to maintain Category 1, regardless of the fact academy costs don't factor into FFP I doubt the club would maintain large losses when they can make large cuts in that area.

Look at Sheffield United, bigger club than us but they will have been down in League One for 5 seasons now, it's not necessarily an easy league to get out of, the only positive I could possibly see out of it would be that it would allow us in the short term to introduce our young players into the team sooner but the long term effects to the club are going to be far more negative than positive.

Of course immediate promotion isn't guaranteed but I'm saying for the purposes of a more entertaining season and a fresher side I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

As for Sheffield United being a bigger team than us...I have to use the immortal words of Brendan and tell you that "you are not supporter of this club". What planet are you on man?

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 01 Jun 2015 11:29

Maidenhead Royal Right now we have a pretty big shopping list, but nothing we can't manage:
Goalkeepers (Fods and Hamer for me)
CB - we need someone who can lead because our only decent leader is off to the Rams.
Left winger - Someone who gets balls into the box and get into the box himself.
Striker - A guy with pace and/or skill (preferably both!) who can strike with confidence and competence. Gets into the box when needed as well.

There you go. If we get all that, I would consider that an excellent summer and would lay the framework for a better team in 16/17. With that, I would say 6-9th. Without it, 13-19th.

Jobi?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Jun 2015 11:54

Hoping to see a squad capable of a top 10/top half finish....

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Jun 2015 13:17

One, possibly two of the better players from a squad which performed abjectly already out of the door :?:
A manager who managed to perform even worse than the previous joker :?:
Owners whose intentions are about as clear as Lord Lucan's whereabouts :?:

Bottom 6.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jun 2015 13:24

I'll add to my expectation of how we will do that anything higher than 17th would be a success given where we are now. Although obviously if we make brilliant signings and start like a train then even 10th could be a disappointment.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 01 Jun 2015 13:38

Coppelled_Streets Hoping: Mid-table
Expecting: Bottom 6

+1

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Jun 2015 14:13

Injuries or lack of will determine our season once again since the first team squad is so small.

If McLearly, Hector, Williams and whoever our goalkeeper is sustain long term injuries we will probably finish bottom.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Jun 2015 16:09

7-12

tough start gives way to gradual improvement and decent finish

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Jun 2015 17:43

I fully expect to wait until the end of June before releasing my expectations

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Jun 2015 21:14

With no news of significance. Relegation looms.

King van der Kwaak

by King van der Kwaak » 01 Jun 2015 21:15

SCIAG I think you're a bit confused, or maybe I just misunderstood you.

If Pearce leaves, Ferdinand remains unavailable, and we send Cooper on loan, our options at centre back will be Hector, Sweeney, Keown, Hyam, and Dickie (and Gunter/Sammi/younger players). We would have no choice but to play an unproven youngster alongside Hector, let alone using them as cover.

I do think Cooper could benefit from a loan move, but that should only happen if we have three reliable options ahead of him. Otherwise he may as well get that experience with us.

Sorry, you're right I didn't make myself clear. As much as I rate Cooper, whether he's up to being the 1st choice alongside Hector is questionable. My thinking of him going on loan would only be if we bought two central defenders and Ferdinand is fit. Otherwise as someone else said, it makes no sense for him to go, he might as well develop here.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Jun 2015 22:30

RG7Fan
Jobi?

Saw him play for Orient this year. Best days are past.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 02 Jun 2015 03:35

With Hector signed on, top 6 is a certainty and top 2 very likely

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Jun 2015 09:40

John Smith
tidus_mi2
John Smith Hoping: relegation

Let's get it out the way and clear the decks, storm League 1 and use the momentum to go again in the Championship.

Expectations: 17th

Why does everyone think relegation would be great and we'd storm League One? Big clubs sure, they eventually find their way out of it but we're not a big club, if we get relegated our attendances will plummet, I doubt we'd be able to maintain Category 1, regardless of the fact academy costs don't factor into FFP I doubt the club would maintain large losses when they can make large cuts in that area.

Look at Sheffield United, bigger club than us but they will have been down in League One for 5 seasons now, it's not necessarily an easy league to get out of, the only positive I could possibly see out of it would be that it would allow us in the short term to introduce our young players into the team sooner but the long term effects to the club are going to be far more negative than positive.

Of course immediate promotion isn't guaranteed but I'm saying for the purposes of a more entertaining season and a fresher side I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

As for Sheffield United being a bigger team than us...I have to use the immortal words of Brendan and tell you that "you are not supporter of this club". What planet are you on man?

They are bigger than us though aren't they? Historically they've spent most of their seasons in the top 2 divisions, whereas we have spent most of ours in the 3rd and 4th tier, last season they pulled an average attendance 2k higher than ours despite being in the division below. At the very least they are of a similar stature but I would call that being generous to us.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Jun 2015 10:12

Steve Clarke will go quietly about his business. He is keeping players who are loyal to his ideas and leadership and I expect a few humdinger foreign bargain players to come in with pace!

Have a sneaky feeling we will do a Watford.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jun 2015 15:21

paultheroyal Steve Clarke will go quietly about his business. He is keeping players who are loyal to his ideas and leadership and I expect a few humdinger foreign bargain players to come in with pace!

Have a sneaky feeling we will do a Watford.

So far he's had no say in anyone of significance staying or going on the playing side except Guthrie.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 02 Jun 2015 15:38

Chalobah on loan, surely he was instrumental in that. And if he really wanted Feds he could have asked for better wages to be offered.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 02 Jun 2015 15:38

I think we'll finish mid table.

I'm not panicking about signings yet as pre-season is still a long way off. If we've still not made any improvements by the start of July, I think we can start to be concerned.

Clarke will bring in a few players who buy into his ethos, although we may well lose Pearce and Karacan. I'd like them both to stay, but it may just be time they moved on to pastures new. They'll still be our Academy products and I'm sure will get good receptions, so long as they don't slag the club off in the press after leaving. But Clarke will need to start to build his own team, and we'll see if those two are in his plans.

I think the season will ebb and flow, with a few good results on the bounce here and there, without forming into a significant run. We'll also lose our fair share but overall I think we'll be better than last season, but still struggle for consistency.

I'm hoping Clarke is given some time to put his own squad together and see where he can take it. I like the way we tend to treat managers, giving them some time to get their ideas across.

Overall, it will be a season neither great nor shit.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Jun 2015 17:30

If we have more luck with injuries and our home form improves then top 10.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Jun 2015 17:46

RG7Fan
Maidenhead Royal Right now we have a pretty big shopping list, but nothing we can't manage:
Goalkeepers (Fods and Hamer for me)
CB - we need someone who can lead because our only decent leader is off to the Rams.
Left winger - Someone who gets balls into the box and get into the box himself.
Striker - A guy with pace and/or skill (preferably both!) who can strike with confidence and competence. Gets into the box when needed as well.

There you go. If we get all that, I would consider that an excellent summer and would lay the framework for a better team in 16/17. With that, I would say 6-9th. Without it, 13-19th.

Jobi?

Jobi was no good at getting into the box. Terrible goal record.

If we're talking ex-Royal, Henry and Antonio would be excellent but alas are probably beyond our reach.

Wouldn't be opposed to Taylor getting another go - at the time we seemed quiet and he was poor for Orient, but his stats are actually quite good. If we want a better long term option, we have two excellent wingers in the U21s plus Tanner. That spot should be theirs for the taking.