Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 238
yappy

Re: Nick Blackman

by yappy » 31 Aug 2015 10:10

janesdaddy In the away kit launch video (on August 4th: https://youtu.be/8orLFM3krXA?t=5m55s) , Garath McCleary and Michael Hector both highlighted Nick Blackman as the strongest and most skillful Reading player, which struck me as odd at the time since I've never rated Blackman (or Akpan, who has left now). They obviously know him a lot better than any of us, I'm sure, and it is good to see that his hard work in training is paying off. I hope his scoring streak continues like it has started.

Royston used to be quite complimentary of Blackman too. I do think Blackman gets a little unfairly categorised with Akpan as they were bought at the same time, and neither were what we needed at that time. Blackman in the past has shown glimpses, whereas Akpan, for me, did not.

I believe that Blackman looks better as a striker than a winger. On the wing he seems to get stuck down a dead alley too often, but in the middle he seems to get past players and cause all sorts of problems. Still needs to improve his decision making, but certainly impressed with his improvement.

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 31 Aug 2015 16:54

Never been a Blackman fan, but he certainly has started to look like a footballer this season. However, I did notice that Blackman's contract is up at the end of the season, so I hope this is not just a pre-contract negotiation effort and we get suckered into another three years of baseless arrogance...

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 31 Aug 2015 23:01

I think the potential to be a decent player is there, and always has been. He does have natural abilty and some skill. He sometimes tries to do to much and/or doesnt know when to pass or shoot, and sometimes his attitude probably didnt help either.

But he seems to have improved all that this season and as long as he keeps this performance level up, he can be an important player for us.

He has scored 4 goals already, as many as he managed in his first full season here and only one short of last season's total which was 5 in all competitions. So things are looking up, still room for improvement though and there should be more to come from him.

I know he said he had nothing to prove but we all know he does. Surely he at least had to prove that he actually is a half decent player that was worth his £1.2m transfer fee? So far this season, it looks like he could do that.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 01 Sep 2015 07:45

He certainly is beginning to prove people wrong this season. I believe he is a confidence player. Once his confidence is up, he is a steady Championship forward. No confidence he is League One at best.

Never was he or will he be a Premier League player unless he really steps up. I'd love him to prove me wrong but I can't see him being able to get to that level.

However I would give him a year extension on his contract

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Sep 2015 09:56

I had dinner at a charity do with someone claiming to be a friend of Blackman's.

He was gushing about how good he was and I kept very quiet about the fact that I am a Reading fan so that he'd dish some dirt.

The only dirt he gave away was that NB is a bit arrogant - first with the news, eh ?

He did say that he was very surprised he'd not made more impact at Man Utd let alone anywhere else :shock: :shock: :shock:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Sep 2015 11:18

Franchise FC The only dirt he gave away was that NB is a bit arrogant - first with the news, eh ?
I wouldn't say arrogance was a bad quality for a professional footballer.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 01 Sep 2015 12:01

Hoop Blah I didn't go to Brentford but from what I've seen of him this season he's playing no differently than last season but he's managed to find the back of the net a few times. I wouldn't say he's proved anyone wrong as yet.

It was probably unwise to suggest he had nothing to prove but he's surely achieved the not too difficult task of making idiots out of those who insisted he was "sh*t!"

As ever, this often boils down to those who manage to enter the bosom of the East Stand and those who don't.

Whilst Hughes was ridiculed relentlessly despite never giving less than 100%, the synchronised masterbation for Shorey was often cringeworthy.

Having one decent foot, even though the other was next to useless, made the latter a more accomplished player but from the day someone whispered West Ham in his ear he never gave a flying one for RFC or the East Stand.

HRK or Akpan? Based on last season I'd have the latter but the former is showing signs of having a pulse in this campaign :lol:

Seriously, Blackman is still only 25 and clearly has ability. Also, he's clearly not a winger.

In my view, HRK has deserved a lot of the stick he's got because fans are intitled see those whose wages they pay giving 100% and I'm not convinced the same applies to Blackman

wiggso

by wiggso » 01 Sep 2015 16:15

Wolves are interested in signing him apparently according to BBC West Midlands. Would be a shame now he seems to be coming good.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 01 Sep 2015 16:19

wiggso Wolves are interested in signing him apparently according to BBC West Midlands. Would be a shame now he seems to be coming good.

Jesus christ. No way. Is a requirement of the Wolves recruitment process that all their signings have previously played for Reading?

Hannemann, Hunt, Doyle, Alfie, Afobe, Henry, Halford.. im sure there are more in recent history too.

wiggso

by wiggso » 01 Sep 2015 16:21

Rollerbob
wiggso Wolves are interested in signing him apparently according to BBC West Midlands. Would be a shame now he seems to be coming good.

Jesus christ. No way. Is a requirement of the Wolves recruitment process that all their signings have previously played for Reading?

Hannemann, Hunt, Doyle, Alfie, Afobe, Henry, Halford.. im sure there are more in recent history too.

Osbourne
Williams
Gilkes
Taylor

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Sep 2015 16:27

Why can't Wolves show interest in HRK - hell why can't anyone show an interest in HRK?

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 01 Sep 2015 16:30

Sutekh Why can't Wolves show interest in HRK - hell why can't anyone show an interest in HRK?

That would be the icing on the cake!

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 01 Sep 2015 16:31

He's not "come good". If we get a bid of £1m+ then accept it. He's averaged shocking to mediocre since he's been here.

wiggso

by wiggso » 01 Sep 2015 16:34

blueroyals He's not "come good". If we get a bid of £1m+ then accept it. He's averaged shocking to mediocre since he's been here.

Agreed that he has averaged shocking to mediocre, I didn't say he had "come good", I said he seems to be coming good, my only proof is Saturday, so one game, nowhere near enough, but if he continues like that, well then he will have "come good"

allwite

by allwite » 01 Sep 2015 16:53

blueroyals He's not "come good". If we get a bid of £1m+ then accept it. He's averaged shocking to mediocre since he's been here.

+1

£1m+ ill personally drive him. Still a very selfish player who has just found the back of the net a few times this season.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 01 Sep 2015 17:21

Sutekh Why can't Wolves show interest in HRK - hell why can't anyone show an interest in HRK?

Post of the year.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Sep 2015 17:25

Woodcote Royal
Hoop Blah I didn't go to Brentford but from what I've seen of him this season he's playing no differently than last season but he's managed to find the back of the net a few times. I wouldn't say he's proved anyone wrong as yet.

It was probably unwise to suggest he had nothing to prove but he's surely achieved the not too difficult task of making idiots out of those who insisted he was "sh*t!"

As ever, this often boils down to those who manage to enter the bosom of the East Stand and those who don't.

Whilst Hughes was ridiculed relentlessly despite never giving less than 100%, the synchronised masterbation for Shorey was often cringeworthy.

Having one decent foot, even though the other was next to useless, made the latter a more accomplished player but from the day someone whispered West Ham in his ear he never gave a flying one for RFC or the East Stand.

HRK or Akpan? Based on last season I'd have the latter but the former is showing signs of having a pulse in this campaign :lol:

Seriously, Blackman is still only 25 and clearly has ability. Also, he's clearly not a winger.

In my view, HRK has deserved a lot of the stick he's got because fans are intitled see those whose wages they pay giving 100% and I'm not convinced the same applies to Blackman

Probably because Shorey, at his peak, was 10 times the player Hughes was.

theroyalsaregoingup

by theroyalsaregoingup » 01 Sep 2015 17:30

Dick Habbin's hairdo

Post of the year.

maybe chelsea will make a cheeky bid for HRK

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Sep 2015 17:39

Blackman has always had talent, albeit nothing like PL talent.

But they're until he proves different over a sustained period, say 15-20 games, he has to continue to be filled under Oz'd Scarecrow. Because he plays without brains.

There's nothing wrong with arrogance in a footballer as long as it's vaguely proportionate to talent. Blackman's talent hasn't been close to his arrogance so far.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 01 Sep 2015 17:53

sandman
Woodcote Royal

Probably because Shorey, at his peak, was 10 times the player Hughes was.

Only in your Y-Fronts

434 posts