60%
No
40%

Total votes: 238
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Nick Blackman

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Jul 2015 07:16

WestRoyal Liked and respected by his team mates who know him yet disliked and called arrogant by people who don't know him at all.
Talented player who although very inconsistent can be on his day very effective and being a reading player I hope he has a good season

Not true. I know the Reading players and they all think he's a pcunt.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 Jul 2015 08:39

It's promising to see him scoring. That doesn't convince me he's any good but it does give me a little hope that he might surprise me. Not keen on the "nothing to prove" comment. Players like Messi have nothing to prove. Players like Blackman should have something to prove every time they step onto the pitch - even he must admit that by his performances to date it is unclear to others whether he has the ability at this level. He strikes me as someone who thinks everyone else has the problem, not him.

Haven't warmed to him, wouldn't miss him, but he's not going anywhere so I guess it's good to see him at least show some signs of being able to contribute this season.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 28 Jul 2015 09:27

Probably my least favourite Reading player of all time. Has achieved nothing at the club yet claims he doesn't have anything to prove, which smacks of arrogance. Two moments stick out for me: Brighton away on Boxing Day (as alluded to previously on the thread, when he aptly demonstrated his selfishness and lack of awareness) and Fulham away last season where he somehow conspired to fail to score when put clean through (showing how he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is). Will be very glad to see him leave, whether being sold now or let go on a free at end of the season.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 28 Jul 2015 10:02

Is he active in the community, does he play an ambassadorial role for the club locally?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Jul 2015 10:32

Pepe the Horseman
WestRoyal Liked and respected by his team mates who know him yet disliked and called arrogant by people who don't know him at all.
Talented player who although very inconsistent can be on his day very effective and being a reading player I hope he has a good season

Not true. I know the Reading players and they all think he's a pcunt.

No, you've got it all wrong. You know the Reading players and they all think you are a pcunt.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 28 Jul 2015 10:49

I wrote up a piece on Blackman for The Tilehurst End over the weekend - copy & pasted below / available here - http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/201 ... the-debate

Here's a quick Reading FC related trivia question to get you really excited for the new Championship season. What do Jamie Cureton, Martin Butler, Nicky Forster, Shaun Goater, Dave Kitson, Leroy Lita, Shane Long, Kevin Doyle, Grzegorz Rasiak, Adam Le Fondre and Pavel Pogrebnyak all have in common?

They were all signed by Reading for transfer fees less than that of Nick Blackman.

Let that sink in for a minute - in our club's 144 year history, Nick 'nobody' Blackman is the striker we've paid the highest transfer fee for - wow. Brian McDermott did numerous truly great things for our football club in his years as a scout and later as manager. However, paying £1.2m for Nick Blackman in January 2013 wasn't his finest hour.

The fact that the most memorable thing he's done in a Reading shirt is to give it the big one to our travelling fans after scoring an immaterial goal away at Derby speaks volumes. I'm struggling to think of a more selfish Reading player than him since Nicky Forster - the only difference being I'd back Fozzy to finish his dinner, never mind bury the ball in the back of the net. I'm not so sure on Blackman. Neither was McDermott, nor Nigel Adkins - as both struggled to decide whether Blackman was a striker or a winger. For what it's worth, he was equally dull & ineffective in both positions.

So I'm really rather confused as to how on Earth he thinks he can comment and say he's got nothing to prove to anybody. Erm, excuse me? Not even Sir Les came out with such tripe in his disastrous, brief spell with us. So for this to come from someone like Nick Blackman is stunning. Any player saying that after last season should take a serious look in the mirror, let alone Blackman. What exactly has he achieved at Reading? No tears would be shed here should he be leaving us in the short, medium or long term future.

I suspect this is indicative of the selfish streak we've seen in his play and hopefully Clarke takes no prisoners and moves Blackman on; for his nature must be a disruptive force in the dressing room. In order for us to have the best possible chance of success in the forthcoming season, the only point to prove when it comes to Nick Blackman is that money clearly doesn't buy you success. I hope Clarke cashes in at the earliest opportunity.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 28 Jul 2015 10:54

Big Foot I wrote up a piece on Blackman for The Tilehurst End over the weekend - copy & pasted below / available here - http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/201 ... the-debate

Here's a quick Reading FC related trivia question to get you really excited for the new Championship season. What do Jamie Cureton, Martin Butler, Nicky Forster, Shaun Goater, Dave Kitson, Leroy Lita, Shane Long, Kevin Doyle, Grzegorz Rasiak, Adam Le Fondre and Pavel Pogrebnyak all have in common?

They were all signed by Reading for transfer fees less than that of Nick Blackman.

Let that sink in for a minute - in our club's 144 year history, Nick 'nobody' Blackman is the striker we've paid the highest transfer fee for - wow. Brian McDermott did numerous truly great things for our football club in his years as a scout and later as manager. However, paying £1.2m for Nick Blackman in January 2013 wasn't his finest hour.

The fact that the most memorable thing he's done in a Reading shirt is to give it the big one to our travelling fans after scoring an immaterial goal away at Derby speaks volumes. I'm struggling to think of a more selfish Reading player than him since Nicky Forster - the only difference being I'd back Fozzy to finish his dinner, never mind bury the ball in the back of the net. I'm not so sure on Blackman. Neither was McDermott, nor Nigel Adkins - as both struggled to decide whether Blackman was a striker or a winger. For what it's worth, he was equally dull & ineffective in both positions.

So I'm really rather confused as to how on Earth he thinks he can comment and say he's got nothing to prove to anybody. Erm, excuse me? Not even Sir Les came out with such tripe in his disastrous, brief spell with us. So for this to come from someone like Nick Blackman is stunning. Any player saying that after last season should take a serious look in the mirror, let alone Blackman. What exactly has he achieved at Reading? No tears would be shed here should he be leaving us in the short, medium or long term future.

I suspect this is indicative of the selfish streak we've seen in his play and hopefully Clarke takes no prisoners and moves Blackman on; for his nature must be a disruptive force in the dressing room. In order for us to have the best possible chance of success in the forthcoming season, the only point to prove when it comes to Nick Blackman is that money clearly doesn't buy you success. I hope Clarke cashes in at the earliest opportunity.

Great piece. Couldn't agree more. He seems to have an opinion of himself that far surpasses reality.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jul 2015 10:59

Got talent but no brain. If he starts playing for the team and not himself he could be good.

I fear that's unlikely.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 28 Jul 2015 13:05

Nobody has mentioned the 'sssh finger' to our fans at Bolton on the first day a couple of years back...

I think he might chip in with a few this season. Seems to be linking up with Fosu well. (No I'm not just basing that on the two goals he's scored in pre-season).

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 28 Jul 2015 13:12

John Smith Nobody has mentioned the 'sssh finger' to our fans at Bolton on the first day a couple of years back...

I think he might chip in with a few this season. Seems to be linking up with Fosu well. (No I'm not just basing that on the two goals he's scored in pre-season).

Forgot about that - after rolling in a penalty as well :lol: :lol: Bellend

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 28 Jul 2015 13:28

Very good article J. So that's what you do with your w/ends during the close season :lol:

For the record, who do you think we should be signing now mate? Particularly given last night's performance. In other words, somebody who's able to achieve the art of 'sticking the onion in the bag' on a regular basis.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jul 2015 13:28

John Smith Nobody has mentioned the 'sssh finger' to our fans at Bolton on the first day a couple of years back...

What else is there, unless you have a pass to watch training?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Jul 2015 14:48

Ian Royal

What else is there, unless you have a pass to watch training?

Could it be how they're actually playing and linking up together and not just on the two occasions that Blackman scored?

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 28 Jul 2015 16:29

Voted NO...... enough said 8)

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 28 Jul 2015 16:35

Rate him against what?

Is he better at football than me? Yes. Is he worth upwards of 5 grand a week? No.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 28 Jul 2015 16:45

allwite I always remember last season away to Brighton. 1-1 with about 10 minutes to go, he was one on one with their goalkeeper with Jordan Obita to his left completely unmarked. All he had to do was pass it out to Obita to put in the back of the net, but he shot, hit the goalkeeper and went out for a corner.

Such a selfish player.

P.S - Having been a reader of this website for many years - I welcome the fcuk off newbie. :D
To be fair, it was Obita to his left.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 28 Jul 2015 17:05

The Cap Very good article J. So that's what you do with your w/ends during the close season :lol:

For the record, who do you think we should be signing now mate? Particularly given last night's performance. In other words, somebody who's able to achieve the art of 'sticking the onion in the bag' on a regular basis.

To be honest with you mate, I've got confidence in Sa once he gets up to speed but could be post-first International break before we really see him firing on all cylinders.

I'd have liked us to sign Eoin Doyle back in the January transfer window but missed out on him. No confidence in Coxy, would get rid pronto - so I don't see any harm in giving Samuel a chance alongside Pogrebnyak while Sa gets up to speed.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Jul 2015 17:20

its good nick is having a decent preseason
id prefer to have our players playing well.
does this mean he will play a big part in our season?
id prefer to leave that to the manager.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Jul 2015 17:21

melonhead its good nick is having a decent preseason
id prefer to have our players playing well.
does this mean he will play a big part in our season?
id prefer to leave that to the manager.

I like it, even though it doesn't rhyme.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 28 Jul 2015 18:07

Big Foot I wrote up a piece on Blackman for The Tilehurst End over the weekend - copy & pasted below / available here - http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/201 ... the-debate

So which side of the fence are you on?

434 posts