Back from the sofa - Ipswich (H)

162 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Back from the sofa - Ipswich (H)

by CountryRoyal » 14 Sep 2015 00:33

Ian Royal
RoyallyFcuked Pearce had been shit since 2011/12 though, no need to pretend otherwise.

You can keep peddling it, doesn't make it true.

Shit is subjective but no one can deny he never consistently achieved the same level of performance as in 11/12.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Sep 2015 01:11

marlowuk
genome
No Fixed Abode Cracking performance on Friday night which was overshadowed by Stephen Hunt's attire. I thought Ciro Citerio closed down years ago.

I think Reading could beat Chelsea on current form.

Unfortunately we are playing Everton who really did beat Chelsea!

So by simple logic, if we beat Everton then we are better than Chelsea.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 14 Sep 2015 06:33

Interesting to note that only 4 of the starting 11 against Arsenal at Wembley are still here. Yet most seem to agree we look better this season.
So much so I am thinking of going again, might try Everton for my return.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 14 Sep 2015 07:54

Harpers So Solid Crew Interesting to note that only 4 of the starting 11 against Arsenal at Wembley are still here. Yet most seem to agree we look better this season.
So much so I am thinking of going again, might try Everton for my return.

The trick is to time your return. Go after a 5-1 and you'll be forever labelled a glory hunter, which is pretty much the worse thing that can befall a football supporter. I too feel the corner has been turned in the last few weeks, but I'm waiting for an inevitable 2-3 game streak without winning. You'll need an excuse as well - I'm going for "Well I think I had it better not going in the Adkins era, and had my doubts about Clarke when he played premiership youth players in front of ours". I like it. It suggests I have still been following the team, and is passive aggressive enough to avoid a comeback.

As for the game, the aftermatch interviews were quite telling. I liked Clarkes 9 points in six games realism. and Mick was 1000% more convincing than Mourinho was this weekend, in shouldering some of the blame for the loss (or, at least the size of it). Its beginning to look like both teams have good, honest managers in charge and could both do well this year.

No Fixed Abode

Re: Back from the sofa

by No Fixed Abode » 14 Sep 2015 09:46

bcubed
RustyRoyal Most importantly of all, what do we think of Hunty as a pundit?

Unintelligible

Don't think he will be asked back

It look like he had stiff neck. Either that or his shirt/blazer was too tight.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 14 Sep 2015 09:49

I thought he seemed to be fairly analytical about the game, and came across (to me at least) as fairly intelligent, but his accent would be a stumbling block for most.

His hair was just laughable, paired with a very dodgy suit.

RoyalRuss86

by RoyalRuss86 » 14 Sep 2015 10:39

Royal Ginger Buzzing, atmosphere was great, so was the game. Ipswich made a real go of it until it was 4-1 when they clearly gave up and it became a training match.

Pace in attack...it's been a while. Ipswich defense was clueless once the ball got behind their full-backs.

Early goal of the season contender from Norwood, but Blackman's was my favorite. The ball was pinging around, he gave it to Sa who fluffed it, tried again to Vydra who flew at it and missed, then almost reluctantly thumped it in as a sort of 'like that you dicks'.

Vydra did not fly at it and miss it, he did what we have been missing and chased a dead ball and forced an error from the defender. Vydra was a big influence in the game he created the assist or the assist of the assist of the first 4 goals for me. Great signing!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Sep 2015 11:25

sandman
paultheroyal Gunter had the right hump with the "how shit must you be..." - repeatedly shouting "no" to the east stand, and nodding his head. Not happy.

To be fair, it's an awful chant.

To be fair, he's an awful player.
:|

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Sep 2015 11:29

RoyalRuss86
Royal Ginger Buzzing, atmosphere was great, so was the game. Ipswich made a real go of it until it was 4-1 when they clearly gave up and it became a training match.

Pace in attack...it's been a while. Ipswich defense was clueless once the ball got behind their full-backs.

Early goal of the season contender from Norwood, but Blackman's was my favorite. The ball was pinging around, he gave it to Sa who fluffed it, tried again to Vydra who flew at it and missed, then almost reluctantly thumped it in as a sort of 'like that you dicks'.

Vydra did not fly at it and miss it, he did what we have been missing and chased a dead ball and forced an error from the defender. Vydra was a big influence in the game he created the assist or the assist of the assist of the first 4 goals for me. Great signing!

Exactly, can't see how someone can watch the ball and decide Vydra just "flew at it", there was a miscommunication between keeper and defender and Vydra flew in to get to the ball before one of them could either claim or clear the ball, he made the goal happen.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Sep 2015 12:34

howser I wonder if our three departing stars of yesteryear, that we wouldn't be able to survive without, were watching from their benches last night ?? with their Premiership, Champions league dreams etc.....grass greener on the other side and all that ?? maybe not.........................................
Hector was.... or does he not count?

scumbag

by scumbag » 14 Sep 2015 19:03

Is the full match available online anywhere?

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 14 Sep 2015 19:38

Think I upset Talksports finest Georgie on Twitter :lol:

https://twitter.com/craigbeazley85/stat ... 3147494400

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 14 Sep 2015 19:44

No Fixed Abode
bcubed
RustyRoyal Most importantly of all, what do we think of Hunty as a pundit?

Unintelligible

Don't think he will be asked back

It look like he had stiff neck. Either that or his shirt/blazer was too tight.

He looked like he'd been sleeping rough and had drank half a bottle of pledge before the match.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Sep 2015 20:07

SCIAG
From Despair To Where? 3 questions to ask

Would Jem be in the team ahead of Tshibola on current form?

Would Pearce be in the team ahead of McShane or Ferdinand on current form.

Would we be getting added value for the extra money they were asking?

I can't help but notice that you're avoiding asking another question... Oh, to have Federici or McCarthy...

I don't think there's much between Karacan and Tshibola/Quinn/Williams or Pearce and McShane/Ferdinand, if we're saving on wages then we probably made the right decision but I don't think we'd be any worse off on the pitch if they stayed. Tsh should be a much better player than Karacan by the end of the season though. Personally, I'd like a bit more of a sense of continuity... but not as much as I like scoring five goals.

I was also alluding to Clarke's comments last season that there was something rotten at the heart of the squad. I can't help but think that certain senior players were agitating within the squad. We will never know for certain because the club keeps these things very much in house. However, 6 of the team that started against Ipswich were here last year, including two players who were continually lambasted as being shit yet the squad spirit seems to be great and we are winning games with a fair degree of style. This has been a remarkable turn around in 3 months. I can only think that the rotten core of last seasons squad has been excised

I would never say that Federici, Pearce or Karacan were shit players because it's not true but am I disappointed that they've gone? No.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 14 Sep 2015 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Sep 2015 20:14

From Despair To Where? I was also alluding to Clarke's comments last season that there was something rotten at the heart of the squad. I can't help but think that certain senior players were agitating within the squad. We will never no for certain because the club keeps these things very much in house. However, 6 of the team that started against Ipswich were here last year, including two players who were continually lambasted as being shit yet the squad spirit seems to be great and we are winning games with a fair degree of style. This has been a remarkable turn around in 3 months. I can only think that the rotten core of last seasons squad has been excised

Feds, Pearce, and Karacan were all offered new contracts. Clarke made Pearce vice-captain. I suspect, if there was a rotten core, he wasn't thinking of them.

Those six players who were here last year: Gunter, Obita, Norwood, Blackman, Ferdinand, Tshibola. Two of those played less than 90 minutes between them. We effectively used seven new players on Friday.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Sep 2015 20:30

Reading4eva Think I upset Talksports finest Georgie on Twitter :lol:

You look a bit old for a teenager.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 14 Sep 2015 21:26

No, I think she was bemused and you looked desperate for attention.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 14 Sep 2015 21:31

tidus_mi2
RoyalRuss86

Exactly, can't see how someone can watch the ball and decide Vydra just "flew at it", there was a miscommunication between keeper and defender and Vydra flew in to get to the ball before one of them could either claim or clear the ball, he made the goal happen.

Yes and if you'd bothered to read the rest of the thread i had already addressed this on page 5

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 14 Sep 2015 21:46

genome
marlowuk
genome I think Reading could beat Chelsea on current form.

Unfortunately we are playing Everton who really did beat Chelsea!

So by simple logic, if we beat Everton then we are better than Chelsea.

Absolutely! And, strangely, I feel optimistic about our meeting with Everton. We are in good form and tend to play better against the better clubs.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Sep 2015 09:31

:|

162 posts