BFTG Everton

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Everton

by Thomas L'Heureux » 23 Sep 2015 00:06

taipairoyal Fair performance, but Everton were always in control, always had that extra gear available. My MOTM for the Royals was Taylor. Why did Clarkson make so many changes?. Dont think we have progressed much since last season, certainly need a Goalkeeper and a decent striker . Some of the players just do not show enough passion, (just take the pay cheque TY), and the hapless Blackman still does not impress. So some positives but Clarkson needs to know his team. I think we might be safe this season, but not top ten.

Erm...

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 23 Sep 2015 00:09

Thomas L'Heureux
taipairoyal Fair performance, but Everton were always in control, always had that extra gear available. My MOTM for the Royals was Taylor. Why did Clarkson make so many changes?. Dont think we have progressed much since last season, certainly need a Goalkeeper and a decent striker . Some of the players just do not show enough passion, (just take the pay cheque TY), and the hapless Blackman still does not impress. So some positives but Clarkson needs to know his team. I think we might be safe this season, but not top ten.

Erm...

ERM? was he on the bench?

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 23 Sep 2015 00:12

taipairoyal
Thomas L'Heureux

Erm...

ERM? was he on the bench?

Yes mate, sat right next to Clarkson...

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 23 Sep 2015 00:34

ERM? was he on the bench?[/quote]
Yes mate, sat right next to Clarkson...[/quote]

OOoook, sorry I missed that, but Clarkson is so deadpan,dour, miserable looking, how can he ever inspire, motivate anyone. What he needs sat right next to him is someone like Mad Dog Allen, he would get those players going.

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 23 Sep 2015 00:37

ILoveMoonPig Don't get the negativity for Al Habsi, I thought he did well. Saw the first one really late and did well to get close to it. The second one was unfortunate, but a free kick that close is always going to be difficult to stop.

Everton were better than us, but still found it difficult. Their passing and movement was slicker, but they depended heavily on a few key players. Far too much playing for the foul. Most of the incidents that resulted in yellow cards would have been overlooked completely in an average championship game.

Good game for us though, to see a squad of young, up-coming players hold up a decent premiership team like that. Should be a good season.

NOT SURE IF SERIOUS

First goal- you would expect a goalkeeper with some form of agility to have done better.

Second- looked like he had comfortably seen it round the post for a corner. Appalling.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Sep 2015 00:44

Fcuk off kes

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 23 Sep 2015 00:47

At first I thought you must be fishing in which case I have bitten... if not what planet are you from ! Not progressed much since last season? We totally controlled that first half with 8 players who did not start against Bristol, players who SC needed to see in a competitive game. He could have made a change earlier, that and Al-Habsi's performance would be my only criticism. Get yourself over to Spec Savers if you cannot see how much better Blackman is playing - if we can sort out this goal keeping mess we might be playing Everton again next season.

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 23 Sep 2015 00:54

Steve_Upper_West

At first I thought you must be fishing in which case I have bitten... if not what planet are you from ! Not progressed much since last season? We totally controlled that first half with 8 players who did not start against Bristol, players who SC needed to see in a competitive game. He could have made a change earlier, that and Al-Habsi's performance would be my only criticism. Get yourself over to Spec Savers if you cannot see how much better Blackman is playing - if we can sort out this goal keeping mess we might be playing Everton again next season.

Hopeless RTG syndrome.

biff

by biff » 23 Sep 2015 01:03

Taylor, Cooper and Hector a cut above. Everton were never really in trouble, for all our possession we were insipid for 2/3s of the game. Not enough overlap or wingplay to try and get round the 4-5-1 in front of us. Hurtado ducking behind Gunter and McCleary coming infield on his weaker foot every time really didn't give us a lot to work with. But by the same token, the same performance vs a chump side and we'd have walked it. Keepers are going to cost us.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 23 Sep 2015 01:13

Just got in. These 8pm mid-weekers are a killer.

Firstly, I must have seen it wrong with Al-Habsi. Sure he could have done better with the second goal, but from where i was sitting the first looked to be a bullet through a crowd and i didn't think he had much of a chance. I felt a lot more secure with Al-Habsi in, he didn't drop any crosses and he hoofed clear many a ball that would have had my heart in my mouth were it Bond. Consensus seems to be that he was awful, so i concede i must have seen it wrong. Hurt a little bit to see Federici getting plaudits for his heroics for Bournemouth tonight.

Taylor and Cooper very good. Between the two of them they kept Lukaku, who's ripped us a new arsehole in the past, very quiet.
Fernandez good, but not as good as Norwood
John, very good, decent shout for a spot in the team
Tshibola majestic, outstanding, crucial to this team, should and probably will be keeping Williams on the bench
Blackman Something clicked over summer and right now, in his current form, playing as he is, he could hold down a place in any top team in the country, such a turn around is just incredible. There's something very special about this guy that i couldn't see and i suspect many others couldn't, and something has brought it out, long may it continue until he eventually leaves on a free because he hates us.
Hurtado Stupid foul drawing the yellow card and immediate additional arse clenching foul aside, I was still not overly impressed with Hurtado. I felt that he lost the ball too often and looked to cut in on several occasions when he should have been crossing. I was also planning on criticising his positioning as he appeared far too central (John was playing much wider). However, early in the second half i noticed him trying to head out a bit wider a couple of times off the ball only to have Gunter scream at him and wave him back towards the middle. Looks like it was part of the plan, but i don't think it flattered him.

Everton brought good numbers but they may as well have been sitting in the West Stand other than right after their goals. Apart from the hardcore few in the corner we lacked a bit of oomf. The north was full of day tripping families, which i suppose is to be expected on cheap tickets to a cup match against premier league opposition.

Decent game, not overly fussed by the result because i was entertained throughout.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 23 Sep 2015 02:13

[quote="taipairoyal"]Fair performance, but Everton were always in control, always had that extra gear available. My MOTM for the Royals was Taylor. Why did Clarkson make so many changes?. Dont think we have progressed much since last season, certainly need a Goalkeeper and a decent striker . Some of the players just do not show enough passion, (just take the pay cheque TY), and the hapless Blackman still does not impress. So some positives but Clarkson needs to know his team. I think we might be safe this season, but not top ten.[/qu

I agree it was a mistake taking on an ex Top Gear presenter rather than an experienced manager.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 23 Sep 2015 02:42

This was an entertaining game which Everton probably just deserved to win on their second half performance. When I saw our line-up - with 8 changes - I feared the worst, but we played well. Inevitably some passes went astray and some runs were not anticipated as these players had not played together before (at least, not in a competitive game) but the one-touch, fast football was still in evidence and we looked good.

We have brought in many players in the transfer window but it was good to see home-grown talent such as Hector (OK - now with Chelsea!) Cooper and Tshibola do so well. Cooper is not so pacy but reads the game well for a youngster and kept Lukaku quiet for most of the match. Tish is a rock and can only improve - a great talent! Blackman was MOTM for me. He is full of confidence and has great feet - what a transformation from last season. It's amazing what confidence can do!

Taylor did well at left back and the defence did look pretty solid against a tricky Everton attack. None of the new signings stood out for me but nor did they fail dismally. All showed some neat footwork at times and John's cross for our goal was excellent as was Blackman's courage in going for it. It was one of the best 'team goals' I have ever seen us score.

I can't fault Al Habsi for their first goal but it seemed, from my imperfect angle, that he should have saved the winner - an opinion backed up by posters on the Everton fan sites. This is ironic on an evening when Federici saved 3 out of 5 in a penalty shoot-out to give Bournemouth victory.

But, in general, this was all very promising. We are playing nice football, have a solid defence, can score goals (at last!!) and have great strength in depth. I'm warming to Steve Clarke!!

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 23 Sep 2015 05:49

The North Stand is half empty every game and I was surprised to see it empty ish again tonight.

The Everton fans were appalling. 4000 of them and barely a peep even after scoring.

Can't say anything others haven't said already, Clarke and his team must now be looking at options for goalkeepers.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Sep 2015 07:33

Fair play to the referee tonight. Hector should of been sent off tonight with a routine second yellow at the end but sensible refereeing should be congratulated by realising game was over and no need for dismissmal.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 23 Sep 2015 07:46

Nobbing from holiday, m8?
Last edited by Ouroboros on 23 Sep 2015 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 23 Sep 2015 07:47

paultheroyal Fair play to the referee tonight. Hector should of been sent off tonight with a routine second yellow at the end but sensible refereeing should be congratulated by realising game was over and no need for dismissmal.

Should have sent Hurtado off too.

I think we're getting carried away about the goalkeeper. Nothing he could do about the first - great strike through a sea of bodies. The second I don't know - if you get two hands to it you should stop it, but it's a bit much to call it a howler.

Kicking and distribution much better than Bond. And unlike Bond, he never looked worried about the bread and butter stuff - loose balls in the box, tame shots at the near post etc.

I'd swap him for Fedders in a heartbeat though, obviously.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Sep 2015 08:18

:o :o :o

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 23 Sep 2015 08:24

Armadillo Roadkill
paultheroyal Fair play to the referee tonight. Hector should of been sent off tonight with a routine second yellow at the end but sensible refereeing should be congratulated by realising game was over and no need for dismissmal.

Yep - I thought he was a definite goner after that second challenge.

About the quietest bunch of away fans I've ever experienced at the mad star - and I've seen the Grimsby support turn up in one car.

Decent performances all round (apart from the keeper, obvs) but our second half display just wasn't anywhere near as good as the first. Felt we switched off yet again at an Everton attacking throw-in that lead to their corner from where they scored their first.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Sep 2015 08:27

Royal Ginger Just got in. These 8pm mid-weekers are a killer.

Firstly, I must have seen it wrong with Al-Habsi. Sure he could have done better with the second goal, but from where i was sitting the first looked to be a bullet through a crowd and i didn't think he had much of a chance.

I thought that at the time but having watched replays, he probably should have done better for the first goal too. Payback time - I always used to look forward to playing teams who had Al-Habsi in goal as we could be sure of at least a goal's start!

Armadillo Roadkill

I think we're getting carried away about the goalkeeper. Nothing he could do about the first - great strike through a sea of bodies. The second I don't know - if you get two hands to it you should stop it, but it's a bit much to call it a howler.

Have you seen the second from behind the goal? An absolute howler.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 23 Sep 2015 08:34

PieEater Just seen the goals on SSN, wtf was Al Habsi doing? He might as well not be there, both of those looked very save-able and he somehow missed them both.

Really worried about him ever getting near the first team, Bond who is equally suspect but I think he might of actually made a save at some point. Shambles.

Absolute shocker, definately cost us the game regardless of what SC says, that 2nd one looks straight at him!

Goalkeeper is definately our week position this season