BFTG - Brighton

142 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Brighton

by Snowball » 31 Oct 2015 20:56

My thoughts are we are a better side than Brighton (not by much) but the difference was confidence.

Brighton W8 D5 "expect to win" played with confidence, and we started nervously. I don't agree that "Brighton dominated" in the first 10-15. I felt it was more that we were nervous and our touch was poor, passes went astray. A great side might have gone 0-2 against us in that 15.

I felt their keeper kept them in it once the game settled down. Our keeper made a very nice save first half.

Brighton look a well-organised side but IMO they got away with all sorts of niggly fouls, tugs etc on Blackman, and they were clearly worried about him. First half I felt he was relatively ineffectual , seems dot be right down the middle, but second half he played like a genius, and wandered a little bit more. He is going to go, almost certainly.

They way I look at things is like this: we have just had a bad knock-back at Fulham, have lost three important players and were up against a side who were W8 D5 and clear in the division. Last year we'd've lost this 0-3.

With a smidgeon of luck we could have won this, just as if Fulham's first goal last week had hit the bar we might have won that one 3-0

El-Habso deserves to be our No 1 keeper ATM.

Gunter was OK but a little bit "reserved", probably a confidence thing.

Hector is not (ATM) what a CB should be = RELIABLE. It's not that he can't be excellent, but my idea of a CB is McShane, solid, hard, gutsy, reliable, and 7-8 out of 10 every week. I think Hec' might be adjusting to his new-found "fame" and Premiership wage-packet. I don't watch him and think that he will be holding down a place at Chelsea next season.

Taylor in defence was easily as good as Obita, and he did plenty of work attacking, without being flash. I like Obita, but I need to say, what is this stuff about Obita being special in attack? How many goals has he made in the last twenty-odd game?

Norwood is a great deep midfielder. eND.

I may not be popular for saying this, but I'm unsure about Williams. Sure, when he drives forward it "feels exciting" but how often do his runs result in a good chance or a goal? In the cup game v Everton the midfield was a UNIT. When Williams plays (and I sort of like him) we don't Preallyhave a unit in the middle. I'd have a fit Tish over Williams every time.

Sa was not to bad, worked hard. Vydra looked a little bit like he was trying to work out his role in the side but I think he's special. He's not pedestrian (even if OK) like, ATM I think McCleary is.

First half Blackman was mostly central, swamped and fouled by defenders. When he loosened up he was amazing. His transformation has been amazing.

I look forward to Tuesday night and a win to nil against Huddersfield. If we win that we might be able to sneak a win at Cardiff. With a tiny bit of luck we could win 4/4 in November.

Lastly we are W4 D 2L1 our last 7 games = 14 points, championship form

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Oct 2015 21:05

I thought Brighton looked good, as did we. A draw probably a fair result, though both teams should feel they could have won it. I though Brighton looked the tidier side and threatening on the break, plus set pieces, whilst we created more good chances, but were a little over-intricate in the packed zones and struggled to break through a numerous and organised defence.

Al-Habsi - 7 another solid game, don't believe the back pass mix up was his fault
Gunter - 6.5 some misplaced passes and just felt he slowed things down more than necessary in attack, possibly should have been more aware on the back post for their goal
Taylor - 7 Can't think of much he did wrong or outstandingly good moments... happy with that.
McShane - 7 looked quite troubled by pace, but did well
Hector - 7 thought defensively he was a bit ropey, nearly scoring an own goal with a sloppy back pass and giving the ball away too much, but it was his drive forward that found Blackman for the spilled shot that Vydra put away, so I'll let him off.
Norwood - 8 He really is the heart beat of the side... I thought our attack was playing too advanced from him too often, leaving little in their half of the middle third for him to aim at
Williams - 7 played well, shots not quite on song. He and Norwood really need another midfielder in to help them out.
McCleary - 6.5 misplaced passes first half and never really delivered anything but posed a threat
Vydra - 7 got the equaliser, could have had another looks good
Blackman - 7 tried a little too much too often and went down too easily too
Sa - 6 worked hard, but not a huge amount came off for him, also too often out wide when we needed him in the box for a cross.

Piazon - didn't really see much of what he did, but he looked his usual tidy self, not sure if he was his usual lose it self
Hurtado - 6 see McCleary but a bit less threatening.

I know I've said this a fair amount, but Clarke is playing too many attackers. Half the time we're into 4-2-4 and starting to high up the pitch compressing the opposition into a tight pack we can't trick our way through. It also leaves us open to the counter and soft in midfield. For me he needs to either go back to a straight up 4-4-2 and drop one of Vydra, Sa or Blackman for a genuine left winger and use McCleary on the right, or he has to stick with the exceptionally fluid front three of Blackman, Sa and Vydra and put another midfielder in with Williams and Norwood. I know we have injury worries there, but I think we'd have picked up considerably more points than 2 out of the last 9 if we'd done that.

Having said that, Clarke is doing pretty much everything else right. I've never seen a forward line so fluid and interchangeable with each other. We just need to suck teams out a little further so there's a little more space for the intricate stuff to come off and not three defenders close to every attacker.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 31 Oct 2015 21:22

Feck me, Snowball goes away for ages and when he comes back talks complete sense. The Earth must be flat.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Oct 2015 21:31

Snowball El-Habso

:lol:

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 31 Oct 2015 21:32

A good point. Brighton were organised and effective, but as about 7 or 8 other teams in the Championship fall into this category, they were nothing special. We played well, but looked short up front (which is daft considering the way Clarke wants us to play). At the back we looked fairly solid and it was nice to see us bounce back from conceding! Overall I'm pleased, but to me this is another result that shows it play-offs at most for us this year.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 31 Oct 2015 21:34

Probably the best thing about today was seeing Ferdinand fit enough to be on the bench - I think he may well be swapping places with Hector very soon.... :wink:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Oct 2015 21:42

Ian Royal I know I've said this a fair amount, but Clarke is playing too many attackers. Half the time we're into 4-2-4 and starting to high up the pitch compressing the opposition into a tight pack we can't trick our way through. It also leaves us open to the counter and soft in midfield. For me he needs to either go back to a straight up 4-4-2 and drop one of Vydra, Sa or Blackman for a genuine left winger and use McCleary on the right, or he has to stick with the exceptionally fluid front three of Blackman, Sa and Vydra and put another midfielder in with Williams and Norwood. I know we have injury worries there, but I think we'd have picked up considerably more points than 2 out of the last 9 if we'd done that.

Who do you suggest? There aren't exactly many options available.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Oct 2015 21:43

I was expecting Fernandez to have a go today.

bishmanbosh92

by bishmanbosh92 » 31 Oct 2015 21:45

Al Habsi - 7 Commanding in the Air
Gunter - 6 At fault for the goal
Hector - 5 Was shocking please get Ferdinand fit and back in the defense
Macshane - 7 Solid as per
Taylor - 7 Not really troubled
Macleary - 6 Bit off the pace but hasn't played much recently
Norwood - 7 Creator of Everything good
Williams - 6 Sat to deep in first half , miles better second half
Vydra - 7 Glad to see him get his goal , good reactions on the rebound
Blackman -8 His shot caused the goal and always looked threatening
Sa - 6 Didnt have much impact today

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Oct 2015 21:56

Lower West
Ian Royal I know I've said this a fair amount, but Clarke is playing too many attackers. Half the time we're into 4-2-4 and starting to high up the pitch compressing the opposition into a tight pack we can't trick our way through. It also leaves us open to the counter and soft in midfield. For me he needs to either go back to a straight up 4-4-2 and drop one of Vydra, Sa or Blackman for a genuine left winger and use McCleary on the right, or he has to stick with the exceptionally fluid front three of Blackman, Sa and Vydra and put another midfielder in with Williams and Norwood. I know we have injury worries there, but I think we'd have picked up considerably more points than 2 out of the last 9 if we'd done that.

Who do you suggest? There aren't exactly many options available.

Fernandez seems a good place to start, plus get a short term loanee.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 31 Oct 2015 22:00

Al Habsi - 8 Looked very good
Gunter - 7 Attacked and defended well
Hector - 6 Too many lapses in concentration and errors in judgement today
Macshane - 9 Excellent
Taylor - 7 Good
Macleary - 6 Not match fit: he doesn't sprint anymore
Norwood - 7 Good
Williams - 8 Drove us forward well
Vydra - 7 Scored and troubled Brighton a lot
Blackman - 10 MotM
Sa - 7 OK

Brilliant game that flew by and must have been entertaining whichever team you supported. Blackman was the best player on the pitch. We lost so much by having Pogrebnyak.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 31 Oct 2015 22:02

Steve_Upper_West Probably the best thing about today was seeing Ferdinand fit enough to be on the bench - I think he may well be swapping places with Hector very soon.... :wink:

Not only on the bench but warming up for 10-15 mins after Hector royally oxf*rd up.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 31 Oct 2015 22:28

Was it just my imagination or was Hector totally sh*t today?

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 31 Oct 2015 22:32

I can see distinct similarities between Brighton this season and our 2011/12 side. A well disciplined side that know their jobs, and have got used to not losing. We gave them a good game today, but I don't think the midfield created enough. I reckon a full strength side would have got the win relatively comfortably.

If Brighton do make it up, they will need to change huge changes to their team and the way they play to have any chance of staying up.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 31 Oct 2015 22:34

Brighton really weren't that much better than Charlton or Rotherham. Expected a lot more from them, Al Habsi's biggest test came from Hector's back pass.

We should really have won today but after going 1-0 down, I'll take a point. Thought we were going to win it after scoring, the momentum was with us and Brighton looked knackered.

Gunter poor today. Taylor solid. McCleary needs to have a warrant put out by the Canadian police for his 1st touch, one of his worst performances for us today. Piazon & Hurtado done a job when they came on.

Couple of other things to note:
Sa really needs to curb the dramatics, 1-2 times he went down embarrassingly softly and was rightly told to get up by the ref
Blackman needs to learn how to use his right foot
Rosenior is still a gobshite pcunt
Zamora has always been and will always be, shit

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Oct 2015 22:42

bishmanbosh92 Al Habsi - 7 Commanding in the Air
Gunter - 6 At fault for the goal

How was he at fault for the goal? How many players is he meant to mark at the one time? Both our full backs were frequently left outnumbered because of the failure of our wide midfielders/forwards to drop back and support them. Bloke behind me was constantly slagging off Taylor for failing to mark their Number 2 who was constantly hugging their right touchline. In doing so, he completely missed the fact that , had Taylor done so, he would have left a man free in loads of space in a more central/dangerous position.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Oct 2015 22:47

Gunter seemed reluctant to run forward and get into space unless the attack was already on. I wonder if that's tactical or he was a bit cagey?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Oct 2015 22:52

Not really getting the Hector hate. Apart from that backpass, thought he had a good game, and did very well for our goal.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 31 Oct 2015 22:57

Pepe the Horseman Not really getting the Hector hate. Apart from that backpass, thought he had a good game, and did very well for our goal.

Agreed, weights'd their striker a few times too, which is always lovely

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Oct 2015 23:12

genome Gunter seemed reluctant to run forward and get into space unless the attack was already on. I wonder if that's tactical or he was a bit cagey?

I's because it would have left us with so little back and acres of space for Brighton, I think. He can't really bomb on unless it's extremely unlikely we'll lose the ball or someone else is dropping off to cover for him. None of the forwards were doing that.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 31 Oct 2015 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

142 posts