BFTG - Brighton

142 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG - Brighton

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Oct 2015 17:51

Good game. We were the better side, but will take a point after being 1-0 down. Brighton looked decent without ever really threatening, other than their goal which was a combination of sloppy defending and good play from them.

Hector did really well for our goal, as did Blackman, who was probs MOM. Good that Vydra's off the mark. Would've liked to see Liburd for the last 5. Hopefully he'll get on when we're 6-0 up against Huddersfield on Tuesday.

Williams, Norwood and McShane all had good games as well.

Oh, and big shout out to Al-Habsi. Starting to look like a solid keeper.

Upper West Ginger

Re: BFTG - Brighton

by Upper West Ginger » 31 Oct 2015 17:56

I feel we were fortunate to get a draw. Brighton were the best-organized team I've seen this season. Clearly their position in the table is no fluke.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 31 Oct 2015 18:00

It was a good away performance from Brighton, their goal was well worked but that was pretty well their only threat other than a lot of corners and Hector trying his best to score an own goal. Otherwise they defended well as we tried our best to score.

We have 2 or 3 really good chances before we scored and really could gave won this comfortably. As it was we missed those chances, went behind and ended up happy with a point, although I thought we'd nick it at the end. Blackman was a class above, he really is a football genius.

I thought we lost it in midfield without Tish or Quinn, with Norwood and Williams sitting deep in the first half, Vydra looked like a luxury. We just looked to hit it long to Sa or Blackman and build from there.

Second half Williams pushed forward more and we looked more of a threat but BHA we sitting back protecting their lead. Overall happy with the point, and looking forward to Tuesday.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 31 Oct 2015 18:12

A good point against a very good Brighton side. When you think of the players they have missing it’s no wonder they were happy to defend in numbers and try to hit us on the break. As expected, we found it very hard to break down a two-banks-of-four defence. That our goal and Vydra’s inexplicable failure to score from an earlier opportunity were both on the break says it all really.

AL Habsi made a great save, Willaims was tireless and Norwood’s a real motor, but the plaudits have to be for Blackman. Not since Blakey in his pomp have we had a player that can weave his way through opponents like that. Add to that his work rate, his willing ness to track back, and the way he has really developed his link up play, he will probably go for a lot of money in January to a bottom-half of the Premier League side.

Two things though: Hector is brilliant one minute, comical the next (nearly scoring the own goal of the year, Al-Habsi did incredibly well to keep it out).

And Clarke for having the courage to keep Vydra on after fluffing his lines so badly. Sa was shaping up for another red towards the end. All-round a good bit of management.

Point gained rather than two dropped, I feel.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 31 Oct 2015 18:23

Good point against a much better than expected Brighton side. We had enough opportunities to win and should have, with a bit more luck. So disappointed with Sa today though but thought Taylor looked really good;

Al Habsi - 7
Gunter - 7
Hector - 5
Macshane - 7
Taylor - 7
Macleary - 5
Norwood - 7
Williams - 6
Vydra - 7
Blackman -8
Sa - 5

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Oct 2015 18:27

Pleased with a point, in particular I'm pleased with how we reacted to going a goal down. If we had won the game then it would've been a fair result. We lacked pace and urgency in the first half, better in the second.

Blackman was very skilful today and a right handful for Brighton, although a little bit selfish. I also thought Williams played well as did Taylor. Glad Vydra is off the mark and I will repress that missed chance... why did he pass?!

Brighton fans were pretty good until the equaliser. Had Stockdale not had a blinder I think we would've won.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 31 Oct 2015 18:34

I thought Hector had a shocker today, and not just the near own goal (probably Al Habsi's best save) but his passing seemed off (although not the only one), and he seemed to lose the ball a lot.

Pleased with a draw but felt we could have won. Couldn't really see what happened for them to score but thought it was a defensive error from us that caused it?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Oct 2015 18:35

Hector actually did pretty well to win the ball back and lay it off to Blackman for our equaliser.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 31 Oct 2015 18:36

Upper West Ginger I feel we were fortunate to get a draw. Brighton were the best-organized team I've seen this season. Clearly their position in the table is no fluke.

????? Clueless. They were fortunate to get a point!!

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 31 Oct 2015 18:40

genome Hector actually did pretty well to win the ball back and lay it off to Blackman for our equaliser.

That is true and certainly not unnoticed, even if I didn't mention it, but definitely one of his poorer games.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 31 Oct 2015 18:43

Agreed with tongue in cheek that Brighton look a very good tight unit, if they can keep this form they are guaranteed top 6.
Having said that any team that finish above us will certainly deserve to be promoted, we were marginally the better side in a very tight game, rarely tested at the back. and failing to take the few clear cut chances that came our way in a very enjoyable contest.
Hector will look at himself and know he can do much better that that. but had a hand in our goal. Blackman continues to look a class above championship level. I won`t criticise Vydra for is one on one miss because the keeper was virtually on top of him before he could get the ball out of his feet, clinical finish shortly after though.

Big shout out for the ref. didn`t get a decision wrong all afternoon and let the game flow , top class
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 31 Oct 2015 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 31 Oct 2015 18:51

LWJ
Upper West Ginger I feel we were fortunate to get a draw. Brighton were the best-organized team I've seen this season. Clearly their position in the table is no fluke.

No, it wasn't good fortune, it was good organization. They continually snuffed out our attacks. Take off those RTGs, and acknowledge good opponents when you see them. (It makes those occasions when we do get the better of them all the more enjoyable).

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 31 Oct 2015 18:58

Upper West Ginger
LWJ

No, it wasn't good fortune, it was good organization. They continually snuffed out our attacks. Take off those RTGs, and acknowledge good opponents when you see them. (It makes those occasions when we do get the better of them all the more enjoyable).

Reading 21 efforts on goal. Brighton 10. I love your way of thinking . so how were we fortunate?, Brighton are a decent team. but did they deserve to win?..probanly not

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Oct 2015 19:02

How many of those were outside the box or Blackman choosing to shoot instead of pass (whether being selfish or restricted by Brighton's defending)

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 31 Oct 2015 19:12

Upper West Ginger
LWJ

You said we were fortunate to get a point, yet we had two cleared off the line and missed a golden 3on1. It's not Rose tinted glasses if it's true! How many saves did al habsi make today compared to stock dale??

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Oct 2015 19:17

Upper West Ginger
LWJ

They were organised for periods but also very vulnerable on numerous occasions, they were lucky they didn't score two own goals today and their keeper was probably man of the match. In no way were we fortunate to get a draw.

Sometimes people want to be seen as being fair to the opposition when it's not completely warranted.

Esteban

by Esteban » 31 Oct 2015 19:20

Pepe the Horseman Good game. We were the better side, but will take a point after being 1-0 down. Brighton looked decent without ever really threatening, other than their goal which was a combination of sloppy defending and good play from them.

Hector did really well for our goal, as did Blackman, who was probs MOM. Good that Vydra's off the mark. Would've liked to see Liburd for the last 5. Hopefully he'll get on when we're 6-0 up against Huddersfield on Tuesday.

Williams, Norwood and McShane all had good games as well.

Oh, and big shout out to Al-Habsi. Starting to look like a solid keeper.

^ This.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 31 Oct 2015 19:21

Pepe the Horseman Oh, and big shout out to Al-Habsi. Starting to look like a solid keeper.

+111!!1!21!!!1!!!£

Esteban

by Esteban » 31 Oct 2015 19:22

Upper West Ginger
LWJ

Perhaps you should also acknowledge a very good Reading performance. Brighton were very well organised and played well, but we were at least as good, if not better.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 31 Oct 2015 19:23

Well as Hector did for the goal he was a fcuking liability at the back. Looks like Chelsea were robbed when we sold him to to them.

142 posts