Who do you want to replace Clarke?

1219 posts

Which one of these gentlemen, not currently managing, should lead the mighty Reading FC?

Steve Coppell
12%
Alan Curbishley
2%
Paolo Di Canio
2%
Avram Grant
1%
Glenn Hoddle
5%
Paul Ince
1%
Martin Kuhl
2%
Ally McCoist
1%
Brian McDermott
17%
David Moyes
12%
Nigel Pearson
24%
Gus Poyet
2%
Brendan Rodgers
2%
Uwe Rosler
0%
Tim Sherwood
3%
Mark Warburton
4%
Other (please specify)
8%

Total votes: 368
WAZZOCK

Re: The New Manager Poll

by WAZZOCK » 07 Dec 2015 00:44

AthleticoSpizz ....then we are no better than Fulham and the Steve Clarke thing

Personally, I was never angry at Clarke because of the Fulham thing. I was angry because his record was dreadful and didn't look like changing.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 07 Dec 2015 07:11

Pearson wont come without his backroom staff, and I doubt we will cough up for that!

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Who do you want to replace Clarke?

by glenroyal » 07 Dec 2015 08:06

taipairoyal First good riddance never liked Clarkson, Gotta be Mad Dog, Parkinson or even McDermott, lets get back to basics, no more ticky tacky
it aint the English way.

Voted for Brian in the poll listed, but Parky would be top of my list. Reading legend who has earned his chance as manager.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Dec 2015 08:13

Dave-Royal
genome http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03b2mgd

If Kits is up for it, I am 8)

are you bloody a idiot kitson won't be reading manager you are a turd

Click the link you massive helm, Kits is up for Brian being manager, not himself

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 07 Dec 2015 08:32

genome wrote:
Dave-Royal wrote:
genome wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03b2mgd
If Kits is up for it, I am 8)

are you bloody a idiot kitson won't be reading manager you are a turd

Click the link you massive helm, Kits is up for Brian being manager, not himself

Ha ha. No bromance going on here then :lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Dec 2015 08:39

I can't be dealing with such helmetry on a Monday morning

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 07 Dec 2015 08:47

If Pearson won't take a job unless his backroom staff at the massively successful Leicester leave their jobs to join him, he's likely to spend an awful lot of time unemployed.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 07 Dec 2015 09:15

Loving all the established 'facts' on here about Pearson's backroom staff, what they will and won't do, and who Pearson would and would not work with.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Dec 2015 09:39

Wouldn't be disappointed with BM. In a way he deserves to have a go with a board that do appear to have the funds unlike the Russian who really stitched him (and everyone else) up.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Dec 2015 09:44

sandman
Cureton's Volley Brian's coming home 8)

Would be (pleasantly) surprised if that did happen. He enjoys scouting too much, has said that if he was to go back to management then he would choose the owner, which rules the Thais out, rather than the club and after the way the fans treated him (and still do in some quarters "McDonut", "McHoofball", "he can stay wiping Wenger's arse" etc) in his last season here I doubt he'd be too keen on coming back.

I really doubt that he even knows let alone cares about the nicknames a few keyboard warriors associate to him to be honest. If he does, then it probably means he's not cut out to be a manager at this level.

I can't say I'm too excited about the thought of McDermott coming back. I've reservations about his ability to recreate his previous success because I think it was largely built on his relationships with the squad he inherited. Having said that, like getting Parky in, I'd be happy with McDermott because of his affinity to the club and I want to see some stability and identity come back with this appointment. I don't think we'd get that with someone like Pearson.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Dec 2015 09:52

Current betting from The EP website

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Dec 2015 09:53

Would be interesting to see how much managerial success is down to affinity with a club and how much it is down to coaching ability, man management, tactical skill, political nous, transfer policy.
From a fan point of view I can see it's nice to have a cuddly manager like McD but I would imagine most successful managers don't arrive at the club with much affinity but develop it over time (Wenger, Ferguson, Shankley, Clough, Coppell, Mourinio ?)
I'd take a man with the right skills over a man who professes to love the club, and I reckon a manager who is a success would soon find an attachment to us. And we'd learn to love a man who made us successful !

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 07 Dec 2015 10:06

I'd like somebody to be appointed who has an agenda beyond soley doing well so as to get a better job i.e somebody with an affiliation to the club. Somebody will no coaching or management experience at all, but with an understanding and loyalty to the club and who the fans know and trust, is preferable to me than a random manger with a decent CV.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Dec 2015 10:06

My view is that it all depends on the club, the manager and the situation they take over in.

As with player transfers, all appointments are a gamble that may or may not pay off. Having a knowledge and affinity of the club and the people who run it and support it, and visa-versa, probably just reduces that gamble a bit. Eddie Howe is a good example of his fit at Bournemouth helping to make him a success there.

There's no doubt that the manager has to have the right skills to make the most of the opportunity but if it were an exact science you wouldn't see managers fail.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 07 Dec 2015 10:10

Pepe the Horseman
Extended-Phenotype Stop going on about Stephen Hunt. You're never going to meet him.

You have PM.

:?:

Why did you send me a photo of Martin Keown sat next to Ralph Little?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Dec 2015 10:13

Colin Cheeselog I'd like somebody to be appointed who has an agenda beyond soley doing well so as to get a better job i.e somebody with an affiliation to the club. Somebody will no coaching or management experience at all, but with an understanding and loyalty to the club and who the fans know and trust, is preferable to me than a random manger with a decent CV.

It's about the person then. The field of people with a loyalty and affinity is tiny and possibly doesn't include the person with the right skills. The right person will develop the affinity. I suspect none of the people we would see as having the affinity were born with it, they developed it in their time at the club. Parky is a northern lad who was at Southampton as a youngster and played 150 games for Bury, McDermott is an Arsenal man, Murts is another Northerner, Martin Kuhl played for Aldershot !
If Parky left Bradford, would we then question his loyalty ? In the 13 years since he left has the 12 years he was here lost it's significance in his mind ?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Dec 2015 10:15

Never thought i'd say this but if we are seriously looking at McDermott then I would take Parkinson all day long.

Having said that - if McDermott can team up with someone like Murty then that would get me interested!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Dec 2015 10:19

But do Murty and Mc D get on ? We could have the nicest management team in football but would it produce a winning team?
Has Kitson got a view on Murts as a coach ?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 07 Dec 2015 10:22

Can't help but think that without the strong personal relationships he had built with that particular set of players, Brian might struggle to recreate the success he enjoyed her the first time around.

Look what happened when we brought in new players under his management.

Armadillo Roadkill

Re: Who do you want to replace Clarke?

by Armadillo Roadkill » 07 Dec 2015 10:26

The promotion under Brian was a freak event, a one-off, never-to-be-repeated near-miracle. All the planets aligned etc. etc. I can see no way it could ever happen again.

1219 posts