Welcome back Brian!

1226 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Welcome back Brian?

by Ian Royal » 13 Dec 2015 14:50

RoyalBlue Loving the club doesn't mean that a manager will be successful in the Championship, let alone one level higher than that.

Have people really forgotten how dire and helpless things got in the latter days of McDermott? Being a nice man and loyal were probably two contributory factors to that.

He did great things for us and those rightly are still at the forefront of memories when his name is mentioned. I fear his return will in due course tarnish those memories.

Enough has come out since to question how much was BMc's fault... definitely some. But good points have been made that we played good football with gylfi.

He had plenty of support and a big wage budget (inherited), but was clearly limited in who he could bring in.

His overall record is second to none. He was exceptional at getting his team to be greater than the sum of its parts at this level.

Yes he mainly used midfielders as bypassed spoilers and was way too direct for the PL. But maybe he's learnt a few more tricks, especially working at Arsenal.

And as long as he doesn't just do badly from the off he's got one of the best chances of uniting the fans and creating a desperately needed positive atmosphere.

Lets see what he can do without being hamstrung by Anton and restricted by SJM's lack of funds now we have backing from the Thais.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Dec 2015 15:03

If out turns out well then great. If it doesn't, then that's just the way it goes. You wanted change and you were led on by a conman, ironically in your case RoyalBlue it was the same conman that you so often chastise Madejski for being led on by. You chased a dream of playing a certain style of football that is now out of date yet we are still trying to learn to play it despite the fact that the rest of the world have moved on from that style, including Barcelona who were it's main practitioners. This isn't a step back this is a reset and if and when Brian is appointed this club will at the very least get it's soul back.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Dec 2015 15:11

Sandman, using the ball and passing well will never be out of date.

You need to recognise that playing a passing game badly does not mean a passing game is bad.

When we played it well we were fantastic.

Different styles just have different strengths and weaknesses.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Dec 2015 15:20

Ian Royal Sandman, using the ball and passing well will never be out of date.

You need to recognise that playing a passing game badly does not mean a passing game is bad.

A good team can work it out for themselves on the pitch during the game. With players that roll their sleeves up and take control. Reading are lacking real leaders on the pitch at the moment.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 13 Dec 2015 15:23

sandman If out turns out well then great. If it doesn't, then that's just the way it goes. You wanted change and you were led on by a conman, ironically in your case RoyalBlue it was the same conman that you so often chastise Madejski for being led on by. You chased a dream of playing a certain style of football that is now out of date yet we are still trying to learn to play it despite the fact that the rest of the world have moved on from that style, including Barcelona who were it's main practitioners. This isn't a step back this is a reset and if and when Brian is appointed this club will at the very least get it's soul back.

This, this, this.

The club takes a step back every time a short-term manager has his head turned or a trigger happy owner fires the manager in a knee-jerk reaction to a short spell of results.

A step forward will be taken each season you have a loyal, steady manager who is here for the long haul who builds team spirit and develops a squad greater than the sum of their parts.

Anybody who can't see the better potential with a good, long term manager who adores the club over short term mercenaries needs their brains examined.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Dec 2015 15:36

RoyalBlue Loving the club doesn't mean that a manager will be successful in the Championship, let alone one level higher than that.

As a club we're a long way short of competing at a higher level. With all players fit we've a first team. Beyond that there's a real lack of depth.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 13 Dec 2015 15:59

RoyalBlue Have people really forgotten how dire and helpless things got in the latter days of McDermott? Being a nice man and loyal were probably two contributory factors to that.

Well, it depends how 'latter' those latter days were. He got sacked after a run of games when, admittedly, we looked hopeless, and pretty nailed on for relegation. But two months earlier he was manager of the month. I felt at the time - and still feel now - that his record had earned him more slack than Abramovich gave him. Sure, we looked like he was going to take us down, but we went down anyway, and time has not shown that either of his replacements were better suited to getting us back up.

Sacking him was a mistake, and I'm pleased that it looks like there is a chance to put it right. Obviously, there are no guarantees of success going forward. But at least we'll have someone in charge who has a genuine feeling for the club, and has some dignity and grace.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 13 Dec 2015 16:22

Elm Park Old Boy
RoyalBlue Have people really forgotten how dire and helpless things got in the latter days of McDermott? Being a nice man and loyal were probably two contributory factors to that.

Well, it depends how 'latter' those latter days were. He got sacked after a run of games when, admittedly, we looked hopeless, and pretty nailed on for relegation. But two months earlier he was manager of the month. I felt at the time - and still feel now - that his record had earned him more slack than Abramovich gave him. Sure, we looked like he was going to take us down, but we went down anyway, and time has not shown that either of his replacements were better suited to getting us back up.

Sacking him was a mistake, and I'm pleased that it looks like there is a chance to put it right. Obviously, there are no guarantees of success going forward. But at least we'll have someone in charge who has a genuine feeling for the club, and has some dignity and grace.

Says all you need to know about some of our fans.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Dec 2015 16:24

Never said it was.

You need to realise that there is a time to pass it and a time to not. Nothing wrong with passing football as long as it's done in the right area of the pitch and with a purpose like we were doing earlier in the season, which is all I have ever said.

You really are putting the ass into assumption these days Ian.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 13 Dec 2015 17:15

Away from the Sandman and Ian flirting......

The more I think about it, the more I think that appointing Brian is the sensible decision.

These are completely different circumstances to the last time he was here. He has he chance to build something now instead of just plugging gaps.

In his first three seasons he made the play-off final, 2 FA cup quarters and won the title.

He may have deficiencies in the prem but I think he's learnt and realistically, the first goal is to actually get us to the prem.

I look forward to his appointment tomorrow.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Dec 2015 17:54

I find it a shame that the modern football fan is so lacking in patience and character that a brief spell of mediocrity and mistakes from a manager (after periods of comparative sustained success) leads them to believe he is shite, completely unable to learn from mistakes and not worth continued / future employment.

That applies to fans right across the country not just some of the fools who inhabit this thread.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Dec 2015 17:57

sandman

Never said it was.

You need to realise that there is a time to pass it and a time to not. Nothing wrong with passing football as long as it's done in the right area of the pitch and with a purpose like we were doing earlier in the season, which is all I have ever said.

You really are putting the ass into assumption these days Ian.

So you don't have a problem with what Clarke, Adkins and Rodgers tried and failed to do then.

No one sets up a team to deliberately pass it round the back getting nowhere until they lose it or lump it.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 13 Dec 2015 18:31

Dave-Royal
Lacoste Away from the Sandman and Ian flirting......

The more I think about it, the more I think that appointing Brian is the sensible decision.

These are completely different circumstances to the last time he was here. He has he chance to build something now instead of just plugging gaps.

In his first three seasons he made the play-off final, 2 FA cup quarters and won the title.

He may have deficiencies in the prem but I think he's learnt and realistically, the first goal is to actually get us to the prem.

I look forward to his appointment tomorrow.

Nigel howe said it be few day until appointment it not tommrow

Can someone ban this tedious fcuking spastic? He is ruining the board.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 13 Dec 2015 18:46

Nice sig.
I'll try to get rid of DR too.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Dec 2015 20:25

Think you are being over sensitive with my replies to you for one.....

Think you need to ne'er stand TBM a bit more before going on the anti Dave crusade and I will leave it at that.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 13 Dec 2015 20:30

Monstermunch

Why don't you just name the regular poster?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Dec 2015 20:39

What was Brian's failing that ultimately led to his sacking? He didn't and couldn't (maybe lack of investment had something to do with that but again in the latter days he didn't use the money he did have well) build a team capable of keeping possesion.

If you can't keep the ball for decent spells at a time in the PL you will get punished and you will get relegated as we saw. It doesn't matter what style of football you play, as long as you can keep hold of the ball when you get it, create a few chances and convert them. Whilst you have the ball the opposition can't score (unless you do it for them!)

I'd still like to see Pearson as our manager but doubt that the club would take a character like him i.e. prickly, not particularly worried about PR and definitely not a yes man!

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 13 Dec 2015 20:41

ffs, thought we'd been through all this...£2.5m for the PL...that's where we went wrong. Is it so complicated?

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 13 Dec 2015 20:51

Hoop Blah
Man Friday ffs, thought we'd been through all this...£2.5m for the PL...that's where we went wrong. Is it so complicated?

What's the significance of £2.5m?

It's not what we spent and even if it was, has we've been through on here loads before, it's the wages that are a better indicator of investment and with the real correlation to success.

As for Dave Royal, just put him on ignore, it's really quite simple.

Lowest wages and given £2.5 for PL. No wonder we struggled. It's not rocket science. The bloke at Bayern Munich couldn't have kept us up. It's a miracle we amassed so many points. All credit to Brian for that.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Dec 2015 20:56

Hoop Blah
Man Friday ffs, thought we'd been through all this...£2.5m for the PL...that's where we went wrong. Is it so complicated?

What's the significance of £2.5m?

It's not what we spent and even if it was, has we've been through on here loads before, it's the wages that are a better indicator of investment and with the real correlation to success.

As for Dave Royal, just put him on ignore, it's really quite simple.

Maybe in the Championship but not the top flight. You have to spend the transfer fees as well as the wages up there otherwise you just can't get the quality of player. As Coppell once said at a Fans Forum, "you need £100million to survive longer than two seasons in the top flight".

1226 posts