Welcome back Brian!

1226 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Welcome back Brian?

by paultheroyal » 17 Dec 2015 07:41

How many other managers have on their CV - 2 Qf's, relegation rescue, play off final and a championship promotion over 3 seasons that is currently available?

Do not understand the negativity behind this appointment.

All I have heard is hoof ball and never go back!! (Yeah that never worked at Bournemouth or Chelsea)

Welcome back Brian

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Dec 2015 07:59

paultheroyal How many other managers have on their CV - 2 Qf's, relegation rescue, play off final and a championship promotion over 3 seasons that is currently available?

All I have heard is hoof ball and never go back!! (Yeah that never worked at Bournemouth or Chelsea)

Welcome back Brian

As has already been said - why are other clubs not falling over themselves to snap up someone with such a great record?

Ravel

by Ravel » 17 Dec 2015 08:18

RoyalBlue
paultheroyal How many other managers have on their CV - 2 Qf's, relegation rescue, play off final and a championship promotion over 3 seasons that is currently available?

Welcome back Brian

As has already been said - why are other clubs not falling over themselves to snap up someone with such a great record?

Who's to say he hasn't turned down other jobs after Leeds due to wanting to take a step back after being messed about there, or being happy at Arsenal and not wanting to uproot his family?

Sky Sports are reporting it now.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... econd-time

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Dec 2015 08:34

RoyalBlue

Welcome back Brian

Why aren't other clubs falling over themselves to get Oscar Garcia, or Nigel Pearson, or Dennis Bergkamp, or Carlo Ancelotti, or Sir Alex Ferguson?

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 17 Dec 2015 08:39

McDermolenko Can we get some early predictions as to whom his staff will be? I can see one or two refusing to rejoin.

Sticking with Reid and Beasant seems OK to me. It was the manager that was the problem, not neccessasarily them.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Dec 2015 08:39

RoyalBlue

Welcome back Brian

Others have responded for me, enough said on that one.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 Dec 2015 08:44

LOL @ McDermott only having "one good half season" by the way.

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 17 Dec 2015 08:47

Happy with this!

I'll find it so much easier to get behind Brian. He loves this club and to me that's important.

He made some mistakes towards the end of his last stint here but hopefully he has learned from those mistakes.

Now he just needs to build the team around Vydra and we'll be sorted.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 17 Dec 2015 08:48

Tim Dellor just cofirmed on BBCRB that press conference at 2pm will unveil him.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Dec 2015 08:52

Vision LOL @ McDermott only having "one good half season" by the way.

Well, quite. I find it remarkable that a good proportion of our fans can be so deluded to think that someone with a great scouting reputation who has previously managed our club to a Championship title isn't just about the very best appointment we could possibly have made. Too many Reading supporters frankly don't deserve to have a successful team to support and currently too many people are getting what they fully deserve tbh.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 17 Dec 2015 08:53

Last night was a great illustration of why Brian is probably the right man for the job right now. Talented players unable to cope with coming under pressure - and needing that extra self belief and team spirit.

Should we gain promotion then we might well face the same problem as last time unless (a) he gets a lot more backing and (b) his tactical awareness has developed. I think Adkins was quite right in that you can play Championship football to get out of the Championship, but you go straight back down from the Premiership if you carry on playing that way.

Putting all that aside, he's a manager the fans love and who will galvanise the squad. You'd have to be a real sour puss not to be excited.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 17 Dec 2015 09:08

Coppelled_Streets
McDermolenko Can we get some early predictions as to whom his staff will be? I can see one or two refusing to rejoin.

Sticking with Reid and Beasant seems OK to me. It was the manager that was the problem, not neccessasarily them.

I don't think so.... have you seen Beasant during the pre-match warm ups, he is just not good enough :evil:

Come on Brian.... sort this goal keeping mess out quick.

MrSwickle

by MrSwickle » 17 Dec 2015 09:13

I think the appointment of Brian will turn out to be a master stroke by the club, after too many years the heart and soul feel will return to the club and the dressing room.

Do we still want promotion this year? or a consolidation season now, have a good run in the league, build confidence, maybe reach the play offs, give the players that hunger and desire ready for next season, get rid of the dead wood in the summer, bring in some fresh faces then kick the @rse out of the 2016/17 season?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2015 09:22

McDermolenko
winchester_royal Exchange odds mean exactly the same as bookies' you muppet. It's demand and supply, just in a different market. The more money that goes on a particular manager, the lower the odds are. Simple. If anything Exchange odds are even more unreliable as you get people on there buying low and then trying to create a buzz so they can sell high, without anything meaningful behind the movements.

Until you see huge amounts of money being wagered on short odds don't read anything into it.

Sorry but your way of thinking is flawed and has made me rofl. Don't @ me again. :lol:

Feel free to @ your apologies to me whenever xx

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Dec 2015 09:23

MrSwickle I think the appointment of Brian will turn out to be a master stroke by the club, after too many years the heart and soul feel will return to the club and the dressing room.

Do we still want promotion this year? or a consolidation season now, have a good run in the league, build confidence, maybe reach the play offs, give the players that hunger and desire ready for next season, get rid of the dead wood in the summer, bring in some fresh faces then kick the @rse out of the 2016/17 season?

Tbf that would be the rallying call before pretty much every season before hopes turn to dust as they have done in recent years.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 17 Dec 2015 09:24

I have mixed emotions about this. Brian is such a great guy & clearly cares about the club. Undoubtedly that's going to galvanise the fans which is definitely needed.

However I can't be the only one remembering the ball being a hot potato & spending a lot of time in the air - us just punting long balls up the channels hoping someone will get on the end of it. Stringing more than 3 passes together was a problem for a fairly long period of time.

However like others have said, perhaps the time at Arsenal might have done him some good & he's picked up a few tips.

If the fans got on his back & were sarcastically booing him after what he'd achieved in the championship, then what will they be like now if we go through a sh*tty patch?! I genuinely wish him all the best though & hope my reservations prove to be unfounded. Could sour his relationship with Reading for good if it goes tits up this time. Hopefully the fans will respect him enough not to give him any abuse this time.

On a personal note, I hope he held them to ransom & made them feel suitably guilty. I would guess he had major reservations about taking this job again.

Chelsea/Royal

by Chelsea/Royal » 17 Dec 2015 09:44

Talk Sport just announced McDermot to be named later on today.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Dec 2015 09:46

TheBaldOne Why does anyone want McDermott back? He doesn't know the players like he used to, and its not the same coaching staff, it just wouldn't be the same if he came back. We play a much more fluid game now, so let's get someone in who can build us up, rather than restrict the way we play. It's also clear the Thai's don't want him, so realistically when things inevitably get tough he'll be shown the door. I don't want us to go for a comfortable choice, I want us to get someone who will bring new ideas in and challenge the squad to fulfil it's potential. If I had to choose someone I'd go for Oscar Garcia or Karl Robinson,

Really? How do you make that one out then? :lol:

Nothing I've read or heard has given the remotest hint that that might ever have been the case.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 17 Dec 2015 09:47

As E-P put it earlier (in this thread, I think) whatever style you play it looks shit if you're losing.

We've been playing the possession-based short passing game for three years now and, generally, we've been shit at it and it's been fcuking painful watching us. Sure, there've been some decent spells and on occasions we've looked good, but these have been few and far between.

So I have no problem with a more direct style of play and I'm hopeful of a return to some genuine width in the side - if it's effective.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Dec 2015 09:47

Chelsea/Royal Talk Sport just announced McDermot to be named later on today.

1226 posts