Ian Royal
10%

Total votes: 189
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Would you cash in on Blackman?

by Lower West » 30 Dec 2015 18:10

CountryRoyal It's fair in the sense that Blackman was arguable the best player in the championship as the wide right forward

I've not seen enough of other players to pass such a judgement. Blackman appears to lack the mentality to become a winner.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Dec 2015 18:31

Lower West
CountryRoyal It's fair in the sense that Blackman was arguable the best player in the championship as the wide right forward

I've not seen enough of other players to pass such a judgement. Blackman appears to lack the mentality to become a winner.

At the time he was one of the best, even if the only measurement was goals scored.

I'd agree with you in questioning his mentality. In fact I don't even have to question it, I know the answer. He's still a stroppy shit who sulks when he doesn't get his way.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 30 Dec 2015 19:12

russyb Its clear to see he hates playing on the right wing and his effort there matches his sulking. If played as a free striking role that's where his goals will come from. If he isn't played correctly then we may as well offload him.

Agreed, looks disinterested to me
There were several occasions last game when he made little or no effort to get into the box as a an attack developed on the left.
Think we would now be better off without him

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Dec 2015 19:23

Ian Royal
CountryRoyal
leon [
Is it fcuk

It's fair in the sense that Blackman was arguable the best player in the championship as the wide right forward in the 4-3-3, he's looked considerably worse anywhere else be it centrally (sorry not sorry) or right midfielder/winger in a 4-4-2.

Leon just instinctively disagrees with anything I say, don't worry about it.

Do I fcuk

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 30 Dec 2015 19:42

bcubed Agreed, looks disinterested to me
There were several occasions last game when he made little or no effort to get into the box as a an attack developed on the left.
Think we would now be better off without him

Yep, made exactly the same comment at the game. Earlier in the season he was busting his nuts to get into the box

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 30 Dec 2015 20:08

floyd__streete Blackman, like Kebe, has had his purple patch.

Blackman, like Kebe, will be probably end up unemployed as soon as his purple patch has come to an end.

Kebe's purple patch was when Brian took over as manager, put his arm round him, gave him confidence and got the best out of him. Brian is a good man-manager and perhaps he can do the same with Blackman? After all it was Brian who saw the potential in him and signed him in 2013. Blackman has a great deal of ability and an eye for goal and was a delight to watch earlier this season. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 30 Dec 2015 20:33

^ this

....and he is out and about doing the "club in the community" thing now.......with that "such bad attitude" of his.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Dec 2015 20:41

Maybe I'm having selective memory of sorts but I don't remember Kebe having a specific "purple patch" rather just a continued improvement which saw him be an integral part of our success in the latter stage of 9/10, and every season until he left the club.

The only time I specifically remember him being especially shit after McD came in was contractg8 before anton came in, but then I thought he was "injured" and not playing anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong and just not remembering properly.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 30 Dec 2015 20:58

marlowuk

Blackman, like Kebe, will be probably end up unemployed as soon as his purple patch has come to an end.

Kebe's purple patch was when Brian took over as manager, put his arm round him, gave him confidence and got the best out of him. Brian is a good man-manager and perhaps he can do the same with Blackman? After all it was Brian who saw the potential in him and signed him in 2013. Blackman has a great deal of ability and an eye for goal and was a delight to watch earlier this season. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Are we giving SC credit for his resurgence ? Why the demise since mcdonut ?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Dec 2015 23:44

Longhorn1970
marlowuk

Are we giving SC credit for his resurgence ? Why the demise since mcdonut ?

SC listened to him and played him further forward... getting the best out of him. This dipped as the rest of the team fell apart under SC's mismanagement. He's continued with the dip because McDermott is playing him as a conventional winger, whuch he's not good at and not that interested in.

The test of what McDermott does with him is when two of Taylor, Quinn and Tshibola are fully fit as it allows us to genuinely go back to three midfielders and therefore push him forward again.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Dec 2015 13:20

The poll presumes that other clubs will be keen to sign Blackman for a decent sized fee. That seems less likely given his performances over the past couple of months.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 31 Dec 2015 13:35

We should get rid of him. We just can't get the best out of him at the moment. He is definitely not a winger.
Sell him for £600K or more.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 31 Dec 2015 13:41

The line-up that smashed Ipswich 5-1 was:

GK: Bond
RB: Gunter
LB: Obita
CB: McShane
CB: Ferdinand
MF: Norwood
MF: Tshibola
MF: Quinn
RF: Blackman
CF: Orlando
LF: Vydra

Now that all those players are back apart from Ferdinand. We should get back to that line-up and shape ASAP.
I don't think McDermott favours this type of fancy formation though.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 31 Dec 2015 13:46

Based on who is available and McDermott preferring 4-4-2, which is a very effective formation when used correctly, for the Bristol City game we should go with the following line-up.

GK: Bond
RB: Gunter
LB: Taylor / Quinn
CB: McShane
CB: Cooper
RW: McCleary
LW: Hal Robson
CM: Norwood
CM: Williams
CF: Orlando
CF: Vydra

If we're going 4-4-2 then just put Blackman on the bench and play the right men for the job.
There was no way Sa shouldn't have been involved in the last couple of games.
If Taylor is fit then perhaps consider playing Quinn in Left midfield instead of Hal Robson.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 31 Dec 2015 13:52

Blackman is strong enough to play the 'bigger guy' role in the front two, and his movement would be gold dust to someone like Vydra who for all his inconsistency, has lacked a real strike partner so far. I'd swap Blackman for Sa.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 31 Dec 2015 14:56

There's several players that need to go and Blackman is one of them. His attitude stinks at the best of times. Apart from a couple of outstanding months this season, his time here has been very underwhelming. If we can get seven figures for him in January then we're laughing! Well, when I say we're laughing, we wont be when BM brings back Marcus Williams and Hope Akpan.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 01 Jan 2016 15:06

Kebe's purple patch was when Brian took over as manager, put his arm round him, gave him confidence and got the best out of him. Brian is a good man-manager and perhaps he can do the same with Blackman? After all it was Brian who saw the potential in him and signed him in 2013. Blackman has a great deal of ability and an eye for goal and was a delight to watch earlier this season. I wouldn't give up on him yet.[/quote]

Are we giving SC credit for his resurgence ? Why the demise since mcdonut ?[/quote]
SC listened to him and played him further forward... getting the best out of him. This dipped as the rest of the team fell apart under SC's mismanagement. He's continued with the dip because McDermott is playing him as a conventional winger, whuch he's not good at and not that interested in.

The test of what McDermott does with him is when two of Taylor, Quinn and Tshibola are fully fit as it allows us to genuinely go back to three midfielders and therefore push him forward again.[/quote]

I think mcshane summed it up, the players let SC down. Fact is we have no idea how SC managed the group or individuals ..

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 01 Jan 2016 15:25

The fact is that you have no idea how to use the quote facility.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jan 2016 17:17

Sanguine Blackman is strong enough to play the 'bigger guy' role in the front two, and his movement would be gold dust to someone like Vydra who for all his inconsistency, has lacked a real strike partner so far. I'd swap Blackman for Sa.

I don't think Blackman's really got the right desire for playing the 'bigger guy' in a front two. He wants to find space and beat people. Not get in a tussle, hold up the ball and feed someone else.

I really really hope we move away from 4-4-2, because I think the player mix we have is far stronger in a different system. We can certainly play 4-4-2 effectively, but not without losing the contributions of at least two quality central midfielders and the best of a couple or three forwards.

I don't really think we've got a reliable and effective left winger at the club. John's very very hit and miss, Hurtado seems a bit average in his very minor cameos (plus more right sided), HRK hasn't really done the business at left wing and is more of a forward. Likewise Blackman. McCleary's clearly best suited to the right hand side. Maybe Fosu... but he's very unproven and getting ahead of those above is a big ask. Piazon certainly can't play left wing.

But pushed up and slightly narrower as a left forward, well HRK, Piazon and Vydra are all plenty capable there. McCleary's capable of it on the right and the right side forward it's clearly Blackman's best position. It also allows three of Quinn, Williams, Norwood, Tish and Fernandez to play in midfield. So without the ball we can press high with the front three backed up by midfield getting turnover where we can do damage, but also easily drop off into a 4-5-1 and squeeze the space in our half if necessary. It leaves a midfielder free easier to drop off and cover a full back overlapping. It offers more passing options through the middle.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 01 Jan 2016 17:32

Ian Royal
Sanguine Blackman is strong enough to play the 'bigger guy' role in the front two, and his movement would be gold dust to someone like Vydra who for all his inconsistency, has lacked a real strike partner so far. I'd swap Blackman for Sa.

I don't think Blackman's really got the right desire for playing the 'bigger guy' in a front two. He wants to find space and beat people. Not get in a tussle, hold up the ball and feed someone else.

I really really hope we move away from 4-4-2, because I think the player mix we have is far stronger in a different system. We can certainly play 4-4-2 effectively, but not without losing the contributions of at least two quality central midfielders and the best of a couple or three forwards.

I don't really think we've got a reliable and effective left winger at the club. John's very very hit and miss, Hurtado seems a bit average in his very minor cameos (plus more right sided), HRK hasn't really done the business at left wing and is more of a forward. Likewise Blackman. McCleary's clearly best suited to the right hand side. Maybe Fosu... but he's very unproven and getting ahead of those above is a big ask. Piazon certainly can't play left wing.

But pushed up and slightly narrower as a left forward, well HRK, Piazon and Vydra are all plenty capable there. McCleary's capable of it on the right and the right side forward it's clearly Blackman's best position. It also allows three of Quinn, Williams, Norwood, Tish and Fernandez to play in midfield. So without the ball we can press high with the front three backed up by midfield getting turnover where we can do damage, but also easily drop off into a 4-5-1 and squeeze the space in our half if necessary. It leaves a midfielder free easier to drop off and cover a full back overlapping. It offers more passing options through the middle.

Like all things especially at this level a decent 'proven' front man or winger commands a decent price which we are not willing or able to pay - I don't see it changing under the current regime

898 posts