How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

2058 posts
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

by bcubed » 08 Feb 2016 11:37

wingnut
leon
3points I know I'm going to get shouted down for this, but I think the current style of play is still representative of Adkins and Clarke, and not McDermott's old style. I actually think we would be better at the moment bypassing Norwood, and getting Vydra and Rakells running the channels with Williams and the wide players hitting the box. What we are doing now just isn't working. Vydra needs to keep hold of the ball a bit, try to turn his man and shoot rather than constantly trying a little lay off and go.

It's a fair point. I was watching yesterday and thinking if only Norwood could get the ball forward quicker. With the players we have we should be more direct. And no, Team Board Spazmoids I'm not suggesting "hoofball" I'm talking playing direct, pressing football. Like we did in 05/06 and 11/12.

Agreed, Leon.
When Brian came back I was looking forward to the end of incessant sideways passing in our own half and a return to quick forward movement and decent wing play. It's been disappointing that we're still stuck with the boring stuff that Adkins and Clarke tried and failed with.

The boring stuff like Ipswich at home?!

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 08 Feb 2016 11:42

Now 14 points from the play-offs.

The gap widens further.
Last edited by No Fixed Abode on 08 Feb 2016 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 08 Feb 2016 12:07

bcubed
wingnut
leon
It's a fair point. I was watching yesterday and thinking if only Norwood could get the ball forward quicker. With the players we have we should be more direct. And no, Team Board Spazmoids I'm not suggesting "hoofball" I'm talking playing direct, pressing football. Like we did in 05/06 and 11/12.

Agreed, Leon.
When Brian came back I was looking forward to the end of incessant sideways passing in our own half and a return to quick forward movement and decent wing play. It's been disappointing that we're still stuck with the boring stuff that Adkins and Clarke tried and failed with.

One match in 53 :|

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 08 Feb 2016 12:29

wingnut
Longhorn1970
RoyalBlue
Having seen how the owners got involved in the last transfer window I'm beginning to think that there was a very good reason why Clarke went to speak to Fulham and it wasn't just salary. Maybe he got there and found out that their owners also wanted to get too involved.

SC spoke to Fulham because the club allowed them to approach him. There was a lot of rubbish on Sky and BBC at the time which was untrue. If the club had made a sensible statement like Barsnley did last week (about Lee Johnson being approached by Bristol City) we may not be in this mess ..

:?:
What you mean the recently appointed Bristol City manager, Lee Johnson, as poached from Barnsley?

Didn't see Steve Clarke up for that job, in fact has he been mentioned for any vacancies since we sacked him?

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 08 Feb 2016 13:28

No Fixed Abode Now 14 points from the play-offs.

The gap widens further.

why are you, a Chelsea twat, or any Reading fans still talking about top 6? We are edging on a relegation scrap FFS! 3 wins in 19 league games!! And even Charles Watts admits the number of supporters calling for McDermott's head is growing by the week. I thought he'd be gone by the end of the year but he'll do well to last October at this rate.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Feb 2016 13:35

Coppelled_Streets

The gap widens further.

why are you, a Chelsea twat, or any Reading fans still talking about top 6? We are edging on a relegation scrap FFS! 3 wins in 19 league games!! And even Charles Watts admits the number of supporters calling for McDermott's head is growing by the week. I thought he'd be gone by the end of the year but he'll do well to last October at this rate.

That's because, as you have just so expertly demonstrated, a lot of Reading fans are idiotic, spoilt little brats who want everything now.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 08 Feb 2016 13:36

Supposedly Clarke applied for the Bristol City job.

Didn't get it.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 08 Feb 2016 13:40

maffff Supposedly Clarke applied for the Bristol City job.

Didn't get it.

I wond£r why.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 08 Feb 2016 13:41

wingnut
bcubed

Just an example. The football during that period was great to watch skilful one touch and superior in every way to wat we are currently witnessing.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 08 Feb 2016 13:41

sandman
Coppelled_Streets

The gap widens further.

That's because, as you have just so expertly demonstrated, a lot of Reading fans are idiotic, spoilt little brats who want everything now.

The idiotic ones are those that wanted the tactically challenged McDonut back! Now you can sit back and enjoy what's coming our way.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 08 Feb 2016 14:05

bcubed
wingnut
bcubed

Just an example. The football during that period was great to watch skilful one touch and superior in every way to wat we are currently witnessing.

That period lasted, at best, 9 games. In the 9 games under Clarke that followed that run we won just once, against Bolton, and that was as fortuitous as the 1-0 win against Charlton at the end of the decent spell. In the 9 games prior to that decent run we won twice (including 4 games at the end of last season). It's pretty clear that that decent run was the "blip", with the Clark era being, on the whole, just as toothless, one-paced and tedious as Adkins's before him.
Granted, it's hardly been better since but I'm prepared to give Brian a bit more time than a dozen games.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 08 Feb 2016 14:07

Currently this season has all the hallmarks of last: dull and uninspiring in the league with potential for a good cup run.

I'd take a Wembley semi final again and 15th in the league. It looks like it's gonna take a lot longer to really stamp his mark back on the club, I'm willing to write this season off and see how far we can go in the cup.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 08 Feb 2016 14:13

leon It's a fair point. I was watching yesterday and thinking if only Norwood could get the ball forward quicker. With the players we have we should be more direct. And no, Team Board Spazmoids I'm not suggesting "hoofball" I'm talking playing direct, pressing football. Like we did in 05/06 and 11/12.

What if Norwood was playing in central defence? - He can tackle and he can pass it out from the back. As long as he had an experienced central defender alongside that might work..... might be more of a long term/next season option though or maybe play him right midfield in the Man Utd/Beckham role?

That would allow us to play 4-4-2 with wingers and 2 strikers without sacrificing Norwood who gives 100% every game and has good all round ability.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 08 Feb 2016 14:15

Forbury Lion
leon It's a fair point. I was watching yesterday and thinking if only Norwood could get the ball forward quicker. With the players we have we should be more direct. And no, Team Board Spazmoids I'm not suggesting "hoofball" I'm talking playing direct, pressing football. Like we did in 05/06 and 11/12.

What if Norwood was playing in central defence? - He can tackle and he can pass it out from the back. As long as he had an experienced central defender alongside that might work..... might be more of a long term/next season option though or maybe play him right midfield in the Man Utd/Beckham role?

That would allow us to play 4-4-2 with wingers and 2 strikers without sacrificing Norwood who gives 100% every game and has good all round ability.

Haha ye alright m8, and stick Al Habsi up top and Williams in net ye?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Feb 2016 14:15

Forbury Lion

No need to take the piss

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 08 Feb 2016 14:37

We've had worse central defenders.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Feb 2016 15:15

Forbury Lion We've had worse central defenders.

Don't take Steve Blatherwick's name in vain.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 08 Feb 2016 16:08

Forbury Lion

I want some of what you've been having

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 08 Feb 2016 16:33

wingnut
bcubed
wingnut One match in 53 :|

That period lasted, at best, 9 games. In the 9 games under Clarke that followed that run we won just once, against Bolton, and that was as fortuitous as the 1-0 win against Charlton at the end of the decent spell. In the 9 games prior to that decent run we won twice (including 4 games at the end of last season). It's pretty clear that that decent run was the "blip", with the Clark era being, on the whole, just as toothless, one-paced and tedious as Adkins's before him.
Granted, it's hardly been better since but I'm prepared to give Brian a bit more time than a dozen games.

But that football had promise and was some of the best we've played for years. It was good enough and the players looked good enough to survive and even prosper in the Prem. Compare that with the lacklustre football being served up now

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 08 Feb 2016 17:00

But it was being served up, in spades, by Clarke.

2058 posts