How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

2058 posts
No Fixed Abode

Re: How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

by No Fixed Abode » 02 Mar 2016 18:05

Ian Royal
No Fixed Abode
My work colleague Does he go to games? Nothing much has changed at all . The thing is we never look like scoring, we might have most of the possession but we don't do anything with it!

Firstly, he's friends with you, so his opinion is instantly suspect.
Secondly, we've no idea what line you've fed him to illicit this response.
Thirdly, it's tripe.

Firstly it's a she but thanks for being sexist and assuming they're male.
Secondly I asked her if Reading had improved under Brian McDermott.
Thirdly, it isn't tripe but you're saying that because another Reading fan has a different opinion to you. How dare they.
Last edited by No Fixed Abode on 03 Mar 2016 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 02 Mar 2016 18:15

genome Agreed, we never look like scoring under Brian, except 4 against Charlton, 4 against Walsall and 5 against Huddersfield

I didn't say I agreed with all aspects of what she said. But if you look at league games, with the exception of Charlton it has been a struggle to score hasn't it? 10 goals in 12 league games isn't it since BM took over?

If we look at Clarkes first 10 league games this season the team scored 18 goals didn't they? Or alternatively looking at his last 10 games the team scored 12 goals. Still better than 10 goals in 12.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Mar 2016 18:36

No Fixed Abode
genome Agreed, we never look like scoring under Brian, except 4 against Charlton, 4 against Walsall and 5 against Huddersfield

I didn't say I agreed with all aspects of what she said. But if you look at league games, with the exception of Charlton it has been a struggle to score hasn't it? 10 goals in 12 league games isn't it since BM took over?

If we look at Clarkes first 10 league games this season the team scored 18 goals didn't they? Or alternatively looking at his last 10 games the team scored 12 goals. Still better than 10 goals in 12.

So us scoring against Charlton is an aberration because our other league scoring record isn't great (and not a sign of turning a corner), but us conceding lots of goals against Charlton isn't an aberration despite our other league defensive record being excellent.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Mar 2016 18:38

No Fixed Abode

Yes, in some league games it has been. Rotherham and Wolves parked the bus, even a decent Sheff Wed side played quite defensively. And another was against a top Burnley side. But we are the top scorers in the FA Cup so far this season, with 14 goals, and those were against a Championship side (x2), a side faring well in League One that many fancied, and a Premier League side.

I just think it's convenient you choose to exclude the cup games because it suits your argument.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Mar 2016 18:50

You do realise that the one thing that is more pathetic than Kes's* constant lame trolling is you sad fcukers who keep responding to him?

Stop it and either he'll grow up or he'll go away.

* see also longhorn1970 and Taipei Royal

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 02 Mar 2016 19:52

leon You do realise that the one thing that is more pathetic than Kes's* constant lame trolling is you sad fcukers who keep responding to him?

All we're doing is discussing whether things have improved under BM or not. There's arguments for and arguments against at this present time. If you get that upset by a discussion, which in the scheme of things is trivial then perhaps you should delete your account and move over to Peppapig.com

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 02 Mar 2016 20:17

Maneki Neko
KC Royal Not sure if anyone saw it, but great interview with Brian in yesterday's Football League Paper.

wotitsay?

Longhorn1970
What did he say ?

I hoped to find it online but no luck.
In brief, talked about his first meeting with Pardew who is a very good friend, how he feels it was a shame he never got the chance to build something at Leeds and basically said that's the problem at Leeds, no one does. Good friends with Long, sees him regularly, is clearly proud that he and Gylfi will hopefully be playing at the Euros. Also touched on the Reading Way and said that your academy is your lifeblood (adding that Dolan has done an incredible job). If he had a son with a bit of ability he'd want him to be at Reading.

It was clear how much the club means to him, he'll always be grateful to Pardew for bringing him here. He thought the West Brom game reminded him of the old days and wants them back every weekend, not just in the cup. Thinks we're building something here and can see progress despite only being back a short time.

Sorry it's taken so long!
Last edited by KC Royal on 02 Mar 2016 20:45, edited 2 times in total.

Blackbag

by Blackbag » 02 Mar 2016 20:21

Why did McDormott sell Michal Antonio , off the subject maybe and iam not McDormotts biggest fan I thought that bringing him back showed no ambition and he hasn't set the world alight since his return . But as a former scout and seeing how well Antonio has done for Wednesday , Forest and now West Ham in the Premier League should he have not done more with him ? Its probably been mentioned before

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 02 Mar 2016 20:35

Ian Royal
Snowball136 I have a sneaky feeling McD is happy to let Norwood go, and we may lose Williams and HRK

The first because we brought in the similar-playing Evans (on lower wages and lots of improvement to come)
and even though Norwood has said he'd like to extend his contract we haven't had an answer from above
(unless I missed it)

Will be surprised to see HRK re-sign. He's presumably had an offer which means a drop in money
so is holding out hoping for what he is getting now or similar with a signing-on fee.

I think we are "open to offers" on Williams. He has many plusses
but he doesn't contribute to "solidity". I think Mcd wants solid,
hard-to-beat sides that pinch goals. Imagine this side (without Williams) with a
30-goal-a-season striker.

I think it'd be a major mistake to let our PotS so far go. It doesn't fit McDermott's previously stated desire to keep his best players. Or the way we've played under him the majority of his time back here. It would be a sign of a backwards regression towards what went wrong under him last time.
Williams is probably our best value player right now, as always I think we'll consider any good offers and put them to him.
If both of them go (plus Fernandez who's not getting a sniff and on loan) that leaves Tish (injured) Evans (new), Quinn and... er... Kuhl? We'd need at absolute least one new midfielder just to play 4-4-2, which isn't our current system and wouldn't suit Kuhl.

If Northern Ireland do well this summer I could see Norwood going. But we definitely should be trying to keep him. Signed post Anton from a bottom half Championship club so his wages shouldn’t be that high.
Could see us being open to offers for Williams, purely guessing but I imagine whatever contract we’re looking to give him may not be what he’s looking for. An Anton signing from the Bundesliga (albeit on a fairly long 4 year contract) we may be looking to cut costs.
HRK is in the Fed/Pearce/Karacan position a year ago but is in a better bargaining position than all of them because of his international form. Not at all sure I see him staying.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Mar 2016 20:53

leon You do realise that the one thing that is more pathetic than Kes's* constant lame trolling is you sad fcukers who keep responding to him?

There's no chance that after 15+ years of the same tired trolling from someone now in their 40s it's going to stop no matter what.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Mar 2016 22:36

Blackbag Why did McDormott sell Michal Antonio ,

Antonio wanted to play. At the time others were ahead of him. Antonio decided to go.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Mar 2016 00:48

No Fixed Abode
My work colleague Does he go to games? Nothing much has changed at all . The thing is we never look like scoring, we might have most of the possession but we don't do anything with it!

You'r a bit too old for imaginary friends.

stl_royal

by stl_royal » 03 Mar 2016 01:48

KC Royal
Could see us being open to offers for Williams, purely guessing but I imagine whatever contract we’re looking to give him may not be what he’s looking for. An Anton signing from the Bundesliga (albeit on a fairly long 4 year contract) we may be looking to cut costs.

Some random speculation from some friends of mine here in the states that Williams could be getting offers from MLS this summer, as many of the US National team regulars have been heading there much to Klinnsman's disappointment. I don't much see this happening as he's one of the US's German born players, but with the cash being thrown around for "designated players" in MLS I wouldn't see it as out of the realm of possibility. Would be a shame as far as I'm concerned as he is one of my favorite players at both Reading and for the US (level of competition is still a bit higher in the Championship than MLS, which is why the US have taken a downturn since many players returned to that league IMO).

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 03 Mar 2016 10:45

Ian Royal

There's no chance that after 15+ years of the same tired trolling from someone now in their 40s it's going to stop no matter what.

Discussing football isn't trolling. Getting personal or constant berating of someone is trolling. Someone of a similar age to me like you Ian (btw I'm not in my 40s at all) - really shouldn't get so upset about football - just because someone has a different opinion to you there is no need to throw your toys out of the pram. You really should stop this playground gang mentality.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Mar 2016 20:32

Here is that Football League Paper interview:

http://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/ ... mcdermott/

Blackbag

by Blackbag » 03 Mar 2016 21:08

Lower West
Blackbag Why did McDormott sell Michal Antonio ,

Antonio wanted to play. At the time others were ahead of him. Antonio decided to go.

ok

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Mar 2016 21:46

genome Here is that Football League Paper interview:

He does come across like a lovely chap, doesn't he.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Mar 2016 21:56

Ian Royal
genome Here is that Football League Paper interview:

He does come across like a lovely chap, doesn't he.

His love for Leeds is a bit gross but at least he's honest i suppose.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Mar 2016 09:54

Blackbag Why did McDormott sell Michal Antonio , off the subject maybe and iam not McDormotts biggest fan I thought that bringing him back showed no ambition and he hasn't set the world alight since his return . But as a former scout and seeing how well Antonio has done for Wednesday , Forest and now West Ham in the Premier League should he have not done more with him ? Its probably been mentioned before

because he wasn't good enough. it was years ago.

if we just kept Cox and Antonio for years, until the day they finally came good, wed have spent millions on pointless wages for bench/resrve players whod be pissed off you didn't let them go somewhere else toplay regular football.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 04 Mar 2016 10:35

Maneki Neko
Blackbag Why did McDormott sell Michal Antonio , off the subject maybe and iam not McDormotts biggest fan I thought that bringing him back showed no ambition and he hasn't set the world alight since his return . But as a former scout and seeing how well Antonio has done for Wednesday , Forest and now West Ham in the Premier League should he have not done more with him ? Its probably been mentioned before

because he wasn't good enough. it was years ago.

if we just kept Cox and Antonio for years, until the day they finally came good, wed have spent millions on pointless wages for bench/resrve players whod be pissed off you didn't let them go somewhere else toplay regular football.

Though someone else was willing to do that

2058 posts