How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

2058 posts
RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

by RoyallyFcuked » 09 May 2016 18:11

Top Flight
RoyallyFcuked
Pepe the Horseman Everyone fails at Leeds. Who would you have instead?

I guess that's true but there is a number of managers we could have chosen. Pearson, Jokanovic, Di Matteo?

Top Flight You are a contradiction in terms.

Despite his achievements of winning the league and leading a side to a play-off final in just 3 years of managing at Championship level he is not a top manager at this level.

I hope you don't work in recruitment, that's all I can say. You don't know how to recruit.

It still doesn't make him a top manager at this level, because tactically he is far from it. If he's so brilliant then why weren't there a host of championship clubs (other than Leeds) wanting him when he left us? And why did no one want to bring him in when he left Leeds?

Whatever you say pal. It's the club that doesn't know how to recruit, and you by the look of it.

You're telling me that Brian is not a good manager because in your opinion he is not good tactically and because there wasn't a host of Championship clubs wanting him when he left us, apart from Leeds of course.

You're just talking nonsense and you can't back up your argument with any substance. Royally FFfffd has decided that Brian is not good tactially for no reason at all. And you say that no one was queueing up for him. Something you couldn't possibly know anything about. Unless your his agent.

I can tell you that he has won 1 title, has had 1 play-off final and 3 cup qtr finals in just 4 seasons managing Championship football clubs.

There is plenty of evidence and substance to say that Brian is a good manager and very little to say that he is not.

LOL. Clearly you don't go to games very often.

Brian is just limited. He plays a shit style of football, is one dimensional and has no plan B in games. His team selections are poor and so are his subtitutions. We have seen no improvement so far and I don't think that will change too much while he is here.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 09 May 2016 19:15

Rollerbob I'm with No Fixed Abode on this one.

Brian's proved he's not all that this season. Clarke's team was showing signs of the wheels coming off, McDermott was appointed and he's only made it worse.

McDermott had one terrific season as boss, fair play to him for that - but this season he's been an absolute nightmare.

"It's the players fault" - Fine, so don't play the troublemakers. Al-Habsi, Gunter, Quinn, McCleary, Hector, Norwood, Ferdinand, McShane are all internationals, who don't strike me as players who aren't willing to put a shift in. On top of that we had really talented players like Williams, Piazon, Sa, John, Vydra etc

Individually, they are all better than most players in teams who we were losing to. It's McD's job to get these players firing. Clarke got Blackman firing; McDermott got nobody firing. McD has a wealth of talent within that changing room, and he's not been able to get anyone to care enough. That is shocking man-management.

"He's a tactical genius" - LOL - Team selection (though that might not count as tactical) has been suspect (to say the least) since he came in. Cooper at CB week in week out has been an absolute joke.

A manager needs to find a way to get his team to win more games. Has he done that with any consistency at ALL? No. Therefore, his tactics haven't been good enough.

Ultimately, since his return, all McDermott has done is taken a talented, but 'mentally-shot' team, and made them worse, in pretty much every department.

Well said. We have gone backwards under Brian, just like I said we would at the time.

If these players are so shit then why did Clarke have them in 2nd place at one point whilst playing some great football?

'The players are shit' excuse was what I said when things weren't going so well under Adkins when he got fired and when Clarke replaced him. The thing is, that was a lot more true then than it is now but when the bald special one is in charge its everyone and everything's fault but his.

royal67

by royal67 » 09 May 2016 19:30

RoyallyFcuked

Brian is just limited. He plays a shit style of football, is one dimensional and has no plan B in games. His team selections are poor and so are his subtitutions. We have seen no improvement so far and I don't think that will change too much while he is here.

A very astute post. Good work......

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 09 May 2016 19:39

RoyallyFcuked
Top Flight
RoyallyFcuked
I guess that's true but there is a number of managers we could have chosen. Pearson, Jokanovic, Di Matteo?

It still doesn't make him a top manager at this level, because tactically he is far from it. If he's so brilliant then why weren't there a host of championship clubs (other than Leeds) wanting him when he left us? And why did no one want to bring him in when he left Leeds?

Whatever you say pal. It's the club that doesn't know how to recruit, and you by the look of it.

You're telling me that Brian is not a good manager because in your opinion he is not good tactically and because there wasn't a host of Championship clubs wanting him when he left us, apart from Leeds of course.

You're just talking nonsense and you can't back up your argument with any substance. Royally FFfffd has decided that Brian is not good tactially for no reason at all. And you say that no one was queueing up for him. Something you couldn't possibly know anything about. Unless your his agent.

I can tell you that he has won 1 title, has had 1 play-off final and 3 cup qtr finals in just 4 seasons managing Championship football clubs.

There is plenty of evidence and substance to say that Brian is a good manager and very little to say that he is not.

Is this just based on your gut feeling Royally F*cked up?

The last time he was our manager he made huge improvements in a short period of time. He took us from relegation candidates to play off finalists to Champions.

Based on that kind of track record of improvement, I think we have a bright future with Brian in charge.

You don't think he will make any improvements because you just don't think he will.

royal67

by royal67 » 09 May 2016 19:56

Top Flight
The last time he was our manager he made huge improvements in a short period of time. He took us from relegation candidates to play off finalists to Champions.

Based on that kind of track record of improvement, I think we have a bright future with Brian in charge.

You don't think he will make any improvements because you just don't think he will.

But the past is just that, the past. What Brian achieved during his last tenure provides no guarantee that he will do the same again this time does it? Based on performances to date it's not looking too bright IMHO. You could argue that he hasn't had enough time but we haven't seen the 'usual' improvement in player performances since he joined have we? I think he should get the benefit of the doubt from the fans and club for the time being but I suspect that the first six or so games of next season with 'his' players on the pitch will decide his fate. Jury is still out on McD in IMHO......

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 09 May 2016 20:05

royal67
Top Flight

But the past is just that, the past. What Brian achieved during his last tenure provides no guarantee that he will do the same again this time does it? Based on performances to date it's not looking too bright IMHO. You could argue that he hasn't had enough time but we haven't seen the 'usual' improvement in player performances since he joined have we? I think he should get the benefit of the doubt from the fans and club for the time being but I suspect that the first six or so games of next season with 'his' players on the pitch will decide his fate. Jury is still out on McD in IMHO......

A previous track record is some kind of proof that someone can achieve something....

If you are hiring a java programmer, would you hire someone that has programmed in java before or would you recruit a barista?
You have to take someones track record, achievements, experience into account. Brian has lots of it.

Of course there are no guarantees in life. But a java programmer is going to be more likely to successfully programme in java than the fricking barista. A manager with proven success is more likely to be a success again. That's why Sunderland will stay up with Allardyce and his proven track record and Villa are going down with Garde with no track record.

royal67

by royal67 » 09 May 2016 21:05

Top Flight A previous track record is some kind of proof that someone can achieve something....

If you want to be pedantic, a previous track record is only proof that you have achieved something

If you are hiring a java programmer, would you hire someone that has programmed in java before or would you recruit a barista?

Depends if you want to give a raw, enthusiastic (ex-barista) student a chance with a programming apprenticeship I suppose? I certainly won't rehire somebody that had left previously on performance grounds.... Java is a security hazard riddled piece of crap by the way.....

You have to take someones track record, achievements, experience into account. Brian has lots of it.

No I don't...... Doing the same thing time and time again and expecting a different outcome is the definition of stupidity.....

Of course there are no guarantees in life.

My point exactly........

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 09 May 2016 21:20

Top FLOLight.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 May 2016 21:55

Top Flight
RoyallyFcuked
Top Flight

Funny how the Brian fan club always overlooks/forgets the latter part of his history with us i.e. the period when we failed dismally in the PL, when it was shown that a team with great team spirit but limited talent can't compete effectively in the PL, when Brian demonstrated that he didn't have a clue how to reverse our losing form (sounds familiar), kept repeating the same mistakes (again familiar) and signed players in the January transfer window who just weren't of the quality we required at that time.

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 09 May 2016 22:01

I really like Brian. He's a fab bloke, loyal manager and a real trier - unlike the likes of Steve Clarke who was clearly interested in moving on at any given moment. I think that manager attitudes nurture player attitudes. With a manager who is in it for himself comes the player who only plays for money and the next big transfer.

This past season has gone totally sour for Brian and I really hope he can turn our fortunes around this summer and next season once he has got rid of the selfish, greedy team put together by sweaty Steve.

I also like the fact that Brian's name spins off some great anagrams:
Mr Ambient Cord
Mr Doberman Tic
Mr Minted Cobra
to name but a few....

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 09 May 2016 22:12

BonBoh I also like the fact that Brian's name spins off some great anagrams:
Mr Ambient Cord
Mr Doberman Tic
Mr Minted Cobra
to name but a few....

We should have realised when we hired Adkins that we would end up on a downward trajectory because of the following anagrams of his name:
Sinking Lead
Idling Snake
Sad Likening

And Steven Clarke gives us:
Never Tackles
and 'Slacker Event' :lol: :lol:

Gosh, is there a premonition in manager anagrams???

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 09 May 2016 22:45

You need to warn Sheffield United about Adkins, Bonboh.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 09 May 2016 22:50

BonBoh And Steven Clarke gives us:
Never Tackles
and 'Slacker Event' :lol: :lol:

Gosh, is there a premonition in manager anagrams???

Just a shame his name is Stephen then. :|

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 09 May 2016 22:51

RoyalBlue
Top Flight
RoyallyFcuked

Funny how the Brian fan club always overlooks/forgets the latter part of his history with us i.e. the period when we failed dismally in the PL, when it was shown that a team with great team spirit but limited talent can't compete effectively in the PL, when Brian demonstrated that he didn't have a clue how to reverse our losing form (sounds familiar), kept repeating the same mistakes (again familiar) and signed players in the January transfer window who just weren't of the quality we required at that time.

Be realistic. We're 20th in the pecking order when it comes to competing for Premier League quality players. Brian made a very good fist of managing Reading with our resources. If he wasn't sacked, he might have returned us to the Prem with a stronger team the second time around.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 09 May 2016 23:19

I'd love to be a yoyo club. 2 seasons is so overrated. I'd like like nothing more than to be yoyo'ing with the man BMcD himself.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 09 May 2016 23:24

royalp-we I'd love to be a yoyo club. 2 seasons is so overrated. I'd like like nothing more than to be yoyo'ing with the man BMcD himself.

I dream of being a yoyo club.*

*Unless you mean between League 1 and Championship.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 09 May 2016 23:39

royal67
RoyallyFcuked

A very astute post. Good work......

Thank you m8. Doesn't take a genius to see it, unless you're wearing Brian McDermott tinted glasses...

royal67 A previous track record is some kind of proof that someone can achieve something....

If you want to be pedantic, a previous track record is only proof that you have achieved something

Depends if you want to give a raw, enthusiastic (ex-barista) student a chance with a programming apprenticeship I suppose? I certainly won't rehire somebody that had left previously on performance grounds.... Java is a security hazard riddled piece of crap by the way.....

No I don't...... Doing the same thing time and time again and expecting a different outcome is the definition of stupidity.....

Of course there are no guarantees in life.

My point exactly........

RoyalBlue Funny how the Brian fan club always overlooks/forgets the latter part of his history with us i.e. the period when we failed dismally in the PL, when it was shown that a team with great team spirit but limited talent can't compete effectively in the PL, when Brian demonstrated that he didn't have a clue how to reverse our losing form (sounds familiar), kept repeating the same mistakes (again familiar) and signed players in the January transfer window who just weren't of the quality we required at that time.

These posts just about sum it up for me. In a way Brian does deserve some time, I just worry it will be a mistake when we are forced to let him go before Christmas and waste another season. We will see what happens I guess.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 May 2016 23:53

And so in summary it looks like I was right when I posted a few weeks back that this summer the Thais would rely on youth and perhaps a few free/low cost signings. I very much doubt a lot of money will be spent.

And so to those who want McD sacked are you deluded? He knows the club. He knows a lot of the youth. He has the best chance of getting them to play and getting the spirit back in the side. In fact my biggest fear is that the Thais lose patience and sack him because then in all likelihood we would become Charlton with one manager after another coming in and failing and then the inevitable relegation.

We have some great youth players coming through. I make it that the squad is currently numbered around 30 experienced players and 19 year old plus youngsters (and another group of 18 year olds). Hopefully McD can at least achieve safety next season and this will give us the base for a promotion run the following season, as the youngsters get more experienced. Exciting times IMO but it will be a long term project and I really do not think we can expect better than survival next season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 May 2016 09:54

andrew1957 And so in summary it looks like I was right when I posted a few weeks back that this summer the Thais would rely on youth and perhaps a few free/low cost signings. I very much doubt a lot of money will be spent.

Realistically this season was always going to be a reduced budget because of the decreasing parachute payments, unless of course the Thai's were going to throw a massive chunk of cash at it and, for what I can remember, that's never been their intention.

We'll still have one of the bigger budgets in the division though (obviously not in the same league as the relegated teams though) so we really should be able to be competitive.

andrew1957 And so to those who want McD sacked are you deluded? He knows the club. He knows a lot of the youth. He has the best chance of getting them to play and getting the spirit back in the side. In fact my biggest fear is that the Thais lose patience and sack him because then in all likelihood we would become Charlton with one manager after another coming in and failing and then the inevitable relegation.

I'm not sure how relevant or deep McDermott's knowledge of the youngsters really is though. He was first team manager when most of them were starting to hit puberty and so it's not like Pearce, Karacan and their peers who he helped bring through the system. The majority of them they've been off on loan a lot since he came back and so I don't think he'll know them any better than any other manager we'd have in place.

I do agree they need to keep some patience with him though, but realistically he needs to be showing signs of progress in order to earn that chance to build long term.

andrew1957 We have some great youth players coming through. I make it that the squad is currently numbered around 30 experienced players and 19 year old plus youngsters (and another group of 18 year olds). Hopefully McD can at least achieve safety next season and this will give us the base for a promotion run the following season, as the youngsters get more experienced. Exciting times IMO but it will be a long term project and I really do not think we can expect better than survival next season.

Hopefully you're right that some of these youth players are good enough. I'm yet to be convinced by many but I'm hopeful that Barret, Stacey, Fosu and Tanner can join Tshibola in making the jump up and add something positive to the squad. I'm not so sure about Samuel though, and Kuhl seems to have stalled.

Add 3 or 4 experienced pro's alongside that crop of youngsters and the remains of this seasons squad and we'll have every chance of doing alright IF the mentality is right. That is where McDermott really needs to earn his corn IMO as we've had the players of late, just not the effort and application to go with the talent.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 10 May 2016 10:24

Hoop Blah I do agree they need to keep some patience with him though, but realistically he needs to be showing signs of progress in order to earn that chance to build long term.

Nothing but this. It's a total dilemma. He's been poor enough to sack, and just like on the pitch, new blood might work.

However, sacking him may disrupt any off the pitch plans, and he may make things better.

Tricky.

Are you SURE we can't afford Pearson? Would be a better signing than Vydra was.

2058 posts