How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

2058 posts
msmivie

How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

by msmivie » 16 Jan 2016 20:55

Early days, but I just wondered how everyone viewed BMcD's return to the club?
Six League games in, we have 2 wins, 1 draw and 3 defeats!
Only 4 goals scored, 5 conceded, and 7 points.
Thoughts please!
Last edited by msmivie on 16 Jan 2016 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

by Mid Sussex Royal » 16 Jan 2016 20:58

Just got back - poorly set up today and why does Cox get on instead of Sa?

Quinn needs to start too

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Jan 2016 21:02

As always with inheriting another mans' team, it's boom or bust.

We as a club have regressed ( since the departure of Sir Steve )......as soon as a manager gets established, plateaus then struggles a little bit......we sack him.

Time to bring out that mercurial cliche'' ....." Give him two transfer markets"

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Jan 2016 21:04

Underwhelmed but it's early days, we haven't had quite the upturn in results that so many clubs seem to have with a new manager but on the whole performances have improved and somewhat more of a willingness.

Overall a bit meh, but as I said, it's still early days.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 16 Jan 2016 21:09

It's too early to judge McDermott. It will take him a number of transfer windows and lots of time on the training ground before this becomes a McDermott team with McDermott's so called identity.

This is why it doesn't pay to fire managers too early. Clarke should have been given a lot more time. He was prematurely fired.

To even start judging McDermott now is ridiculous. Based on his previous track record at the helm I fully approve of his appointment and given enough time and support he will do a great job for us.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 16 Jan 2016 21:10

I was completely underwhelmed when Brian got the job again.

BUT,

I think he has done a decent job since he's been back. We should have come away with at least a point in all three of the losses since his return, and although he can setup the team, he can't legislate for poor finishing in the final third.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jan 2016 21:13

My thoughts are it's stupid to be trying to assess his return to the club after just six league and one cup games, plus no senior signings - mid-way through January.

It's not gone as well as we'd hoped, it does seem to have improved to some degree compared to under Clarke though. One of my main concerns about his return hasn't materialised so far, as we still seem to be trying to make decent use of the ball.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 16 Jan 2016 21:19

WAZZOCK I was completely underwhelmed when Brian got the job again.

BUT,

I think he has done a decent job since he's been back. We should have come away with at least a point in all three of the losses since his return, and although he can setup the team, he can't legislate for poor finishing in the final third.

Same could have been said about SC, it's not about if, buts or maybe's ..

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 16 Jan 2016 21:23

players let SC down and have not exactly pulled out the stops for BM, not that he was my choice ..

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 16 Jan 2016 21:32

I am pleased

Sounds odd after today, but I just feel more positive and confident despite losing abysmally than I did under SC or Adkins.

I'm a big believer in the manager needing time. He's been here 7 games. I think it takes time to correct mistakes or poor signings, or things he doesn't like. He's dealing with million pound signings, if they don't fit in, he needs time to actually alter it.

Anyone blaming BM I think is midguided. he didn't bring SA on but he's off to another club isn't he? Yea he may not have brought player A, B, C on but it doesn't effect the sheer lack of fcuking talent and ability on the pitch.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Jan 2016 21:38

Agree...and as I said...it's another mans' team....when this happens it's a boom or bust scenario

At least until it's his team

Obviously

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Jan 2016 21:47

Problem is with player power and the financial rewards and consequences at stake once a manager loses the dressing room there is often too much risk in continuing with him.

I hate the managerial circus but unfortunately it's part of the game today and won't be changing anytime soon. If we continue to struggle, have some heavy defeats and barely avoid relegation it wouldn't surprise me if Brian got the sack in the summer. It's farcical.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Jan 2016 21:54

.....which calls the question.....just what do we want?

Yes it'd be nice to be Leicester City right now......but they'll be tomorrow's Bolton.

Think we need to stick with a manager for more than a year or two regardless of league(s) position

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Jan 2016 22:01

AthleticoSpizz .....which calls the question.....just what do we want?

Yes it'd be nice to be Leicester City right now......but they'll be tomorrow's Bolton.

Think we need to stick with a manager for more than a year or two regardless of league(s) position

You're right but sometimes a change is needed if it doesn't feel right. Clarke getting 2 years would have been a travesty for example.

McDermott, whilst not without his faults, is a good fit for the club and I think it's important to have a passion for club and something to care about beyond your job and professional pride. Unfortunately football fans are by nature, fairly fickle, and just as a club "legend" can be made seemingly so easily the word branded about like it's going out of fashion, so too can they fall from grace and be a focal point of anger and resentment.

Football eh.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Jan 2016 22:13

Yeah....remember heralded and promoted as champions one day....then a pen-full of turkeys outside the Madstad a few months later :(

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Jan 2016 22:14

Thought it was a mistake and a retrograde step and it's looking like that so far.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 16 Jan 2016 22:19

bobby1413 I am pleased

Anyone blaming BM I think is midguided. he didn't bring SA on but he's off to another club isn't he?

So? He doesn't take his points with him you divlord

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 16 Jan 2016 22:38

jojo1 considering we were 7th when jock strap went and now we are 12th i would have to with hold my judgment

Pretty much sums it up, I'll take 7th place, all this bullsh*t about BM inheriting someone else's team is rubbish. He knew who was here and what he had to work with, and on what budget (nil), he didn't have to take the job on those terms. Teams came here in Sep and October and said we were the best they had played, we weren't exactly doomed !

pwb

by pwb » 16 Jan 2016 22:40

I have never been impressed with McDermott, I have always thought he was lucky to get promoted last time and that showed, as we got relegated at first time of asking.

Sir John and his cronies are holding the club back, they should leave the new owners to spend their money how they want.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Jan 2016 22:42

lol......maybe they are.....that's why we are where we are

2058 posts
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 11:47